New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default List Anime/Manga with evil/anti-hero protagonists.

If you're like me, you're probably tired of protagonists that are picture perfect saints. It's not like you don't like those, it's just that they usually lack the bad@ss factor a character of a more grey or evil morality would have.

I've seen this before in other forums, but here's a little... game of sorts. First, you mention the Anime/Manga's Name.

Second the protagonist character you are refearing to. Please note he must be a protagonist. The show should revolve around him. Also, it must not be a typical Hero type. Anything from Anti-Hero to just plain Vilain will do. Qualifications you should look at are, but not limited to: Willing to kill (if necessary/for fun), Not concerned about what other people think about him, Strong belief that the ends justify the means, Sadistic personality, Own sence of Justice etc.

Finally, the mentioned character has to be male. I want to grind down this list a bit by that, and make it as specific as possible.

The reason behind this is to make referance list, and share it among people with similar interests

Let me start with some examples:

Hellsing - Alucard
    Code Geass - Leluche Vi Britannia
    Death Note - Yagami Light
    Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke
    Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka
    Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou - Akuto Sai
    Kishin Houkou Demonbane - Kurou Daijuuji
    Beelzebub - Tatsumi Oga
    Code:Breaker - Oogami Rei
    Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Tatsuya Shiba

Please add more, try to avoid doubles, and Please refrain from posting without a recomendation.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2016-12-08 at 06:24 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: List Anime/Manga with evil/anti-hero protagonists.

Attack on Titan: Eren Yeager. A fifteen-year-old soldier who doesn't care about his allies' thoughts on him as long as they use him efficiently, whose current goal is genocide of his enemy and has been fine with murdering people who don't meet his standards since he was nine, as well as encouraging other people to follow his example. Also, he has superpowers that allow him to regenerate from any non-fatal wound and transform into a five-story giant zombie, which are also the powers of several major antagonists in the series.

Why do nominated characters need to be male? I'm sure there's plenty of Anti-Heroines out there, although the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are from non-manga sources.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2016-12-08 at 06:54 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Overlord takes the MMORPG-becomes-reality premise but casts it's protagonist - Momonga - into the role of a villainous dungeon master Lich.

Fate/Zero's protagonist is - arguably, I suppose - Kiritsugu Emiya, who is an anti-hero.

Berserk has Guts, who's also an anti-hero.

Black Lagoon is comprised of varying degrees of villainous characters, which is the point.

Similarly Michiko & Hatchin's Michiko is a violent criminal in a world of pretty crappy people.

While Madoka Magica's Madoka is a good person, the others - particularly Akemi Homura - are much less pure.

Hell Girl's Enma Ai condemns people to hell in exchange for carrying out horrifying vengeance against the one who wronged them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Darker Than Black - MC is an amoral hitman employed by a mysterious organization.

A Certain Scientific Accelerator - Accelerator. Love him as a character, but dear lord he can be an awful human being. See the Sister's Arc if you want proof of that.

Baccano! - Arguably, just about everyone in this show but Isaac and Miria are anti-heroes at best. Camorristas, mafiosos, bootleggers, bombers, assassins, you name it and there's probably at least one in the main cast.

Gundam 00 - Most of Celestial Being starts out as anti-heroes, considering they are terrorists and think the best way to stop violence is through more violence.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

What about the classics? Don't forget "Bastard!". Dark Schneider is far from being a virtuous hero...
    Homebrew Stuff:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

For starters, the entire cast of Jormungand. Every single recurring character in that show is a supervillain, and Koko stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Hataraku Maou-sama! has Maou Satan, the Demon Lord of Ente Isla and shift manager at MgRonalds.

Speaking of Demon Lords, Isekai Maou to Shoukan shoujo Dorei Majutsu has Diablo, the communication impaired hikikomori transported into his favorite MMO, LARPing as a Demon Lord so that he can actually talk to people. This series slides up and down on the scale of creepy to amazing, although it spends more time set to "creepy".

Log Horizon has Shiroe, who floats back and forth on the scale of hero and antihero. Sure, he does heroic things, but he's known as the demon in glasses since when he deems fit, he'll use any means necessary, such as that time he created a representative democracy by blackmailing an entire city into participating.

Yuusha ga Shinda! Murabito no Ore ga Hotta Otoshiana ni Yuusha ga Ochita Kekka has Touka, the level 1 villager who digs traps for fun to keep monsters out of his farm. Touka accidentally kills the Hero with one of his traps, and one of the Hero's adventuring companions, a necromancer girl with a crush on the hero decides that the best way to save the world is by using necromancy to put Touka's soul in the hero's dead body. Only... where the Hero was the most amazing Hero ever, generous, compassionate, selfless, disinterested in the harem he didn't even know he'd built, etc... Touka is pretty much a forever lonely greedy lecherous pervert who spends all his time fighting dirty... and he somehow manages to pull off convincing MOST of the world that he's the Hero... somehow.

Nejimaki Seirei Senki - Tenkyou no Alderamin has Lieutenant Ikta Sorluk, the god of laziness. He regularly gives motivating speeches to his troops that can be summed up as: "Man invented science to enable him to be lazy! Come, let us be lazy, the smart way, with SCIENCE!" He's a ruthless strategist who... well, it's a spoiler for the anime since they moved it to the last few minutes of the last episode for some reason, but in the manga and books it's the finale of the first plot arc: He teams up with the heiress to the imperial throne as part of her plan to destroy it once she becomes empress, knowing full well that that pact will probably force him to kill his childhood friend on the field of battle.

Akame ga Kiru!

Touhou. It's easy to forget that Reimu beats up and threatens to eat Youkai for no good reason and Marisa is a thief.

Hitsugi no Chaika probably counts. The main cast is out to kill the heroes who killed the evil emperor, Gaz, with the supposedly pure intent to gather the pieces of Gaz's body so the heroine can give it a funeral... but we learn along the way that She's one of many living spell homunculi created to gather the emperor's body so it can self-resurrect. The proper protagonist, Tooru, is also a cross between a combat sapper and an assassin, so he meets the antihero role more readily, too.

Hmm... would Okarin from Steins;gate count? The man isn't exactly hero material.

Ending off my contributions... Thunderbolt Fantasy. Everyone but Tan Hi is an antihero. It's a Wuxia by Urobutcher, so this is kind of par for the course.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

agreed for shiroe he is a magnificent bastard including his gender swapped clone roe2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Gate - CPT Yōji Itami. Although ostensibly the archetypical military hero, being both ranger certified and a member of the JGSDF elite counter terrorist Special Forces Group, when left to his own devices, he's a slacker who wants nothing more than to read the latest dojinshi at his leisure.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I know it is a terrible, evil anime in itself but since no one has mentioned it...

Everyone in Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. The helpers are demons that are played straight in terms of their mentality despite their plushie-like mostly cute appearances and their summoners either start terrible or become slowly corrupted by the presence of the demons and the power it confers them.

On that note, the titular character in Hoozuki no Reitetsu as well as his rival, Hakutaku (to some extent; the latter is mostly just a vicious person but not really villainous).
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

From Black Butler, Ciel partially counts, and Sebastian is a solid villain deuteragonist in most episodes, and protagonist in a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I found Lucy in Elfen Lied to be an interesting protagonist. At least in the comic. The anime mangles the characters pretty badly by tying up the story at the point where the plot and character development really takes of.
    I think she doesn't actually have the most page time, but the story is really all about her.

Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion also qualifies. Whatever he is, it's definitely not heroic.
    Last edited by Yora; 2016-12-10 at 04:00 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The HnK spin-off starring Raoh.
    Arguably, Excel Saga. Excel does work for a terrorist organization and does try to do her job, even if she sucks at it.
    Golgo 13

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe Louie from Rune Soldier. He imagines himself to be a great hero and is brave and compassionate, but he's a walking disaster zone frequently making things worse through sheer stupidity. However, it usually works out in the end against all expectations.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying