New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Forgotten Realms Adventure

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the name of an adventure that my DM ran me and some friends through in the mid 90s when we played second edition dungeons and dragons. A few things that I remember about it are:
    *The setting was in the Forgotten Realms, specifically in Shadowdale.
    *The quest was appointed by Lord Mourngrym. (Not sure, but I could be wrong on this.)
    *We went underground and rescued some dwarves who were being tortured by drow by shaving off their beards.
    *The end villain was a female drow cleric.
    *After the adventure, there was a narrative about all the prestige the "heroes" had won with the townsfolk.

I know that it was a published adventure because I remember listening to my DM when he read it from a soft cover book. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Forgotten Realms Adventure

Do you recall what level you were?

ETA: It might be Beneath the Twisted Tower from the 2e FRCS Shadowdale book. Most of your points line up. I didn't notice a female drow in the adventure. There are dwarven slaves. One is described as having his beard cut off. I don't think Morngrym gives the adventure, but he does have a celebration with the townsfolk when the adventure is completed. It's designed for levels 1-3.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2016-12-08 at 10:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Thank your for replying. We were all level one I believe. I had to make two characters with my first wizard dying to some stray dog that bit me for one damage (our DM made us roll the first hit dice.) I was a bit more lucky with my stat rolls for the conjurer that I created next. Nobody wanted to be the squishy mage in our group. I'm fairly sure that my DM took creative liberty to alter the adventure; he renamed the Old Skull to The Dragon Skull Tavern and Inn.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I was just rereading my old AD&D stuff and the poster was right it is in the Shadowdale source book and it it called Beneath the Twisted Tower Page 41.