New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GMR 18 (No more new GMR!)

Spoiler: to poland
    Show
    You feign neutrality while you attempt to bully the weak for daring to stand up to the strong. You take a side without taking a moment to understand the situation. We were forced to strike or lose the moment and allow Siam to continue its actions without learning proper respect for its neighbour's right to defend their interests. If we were a strong state expanding into a position that might threaten you we would understand your concern, but we are but a single city forced into conflict with the largest nation in the known world who are taking a great risk to defend our honour.

This is currently none of your business, Poland. We are fully prepared to reach a diplomatic solution but have little patience for the hypocrisy of meddling imperialists attempting to expand their influence. If Siam wishes for an intermediary to resolve this conflict, then we will be prepared to listen to you. Otherwise, mind your own business.

If on the other hand you seek to support Siam and crush us, speak your intentions plainly for the international community to see rather than hide behind false concern for peace.

If a refusal to sit by while Siam builds alliances with Venetian dead is to doom us, so be it.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2017-04-14 at 05:44 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

In the opinion of the Celtic Tribes, the traders and the stonemasons (nice Henge, by the way) are free to do whatever it is they wish. The great truth of Balance states, in the words of our prophet, that to create requires destruction, and destruction begets creation. We do, however, think the pretext to be amusingly inconsequential and welcome our far away brothers and sisters in creation to get on with their destruction without spending so many words justifying it. Annwn will accept the souls of soldiers regardless of the words their leaders use to justify their deaths.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh please Venice, I count at least 3 lies in your missive to me.

1 That we feign neutrality. We have plainly stated that the Siamese people are a friend of the Polish kingdom. Do you need to hear it again? For the Venetians in the back.
    2 That we are attempting to bully you. We have not once threatened you.
    3 That you are currently at war with the largest nation in the known world. Or did you declare war on us as well.

And we will mind our business. However, a war is certainly everyone's business. If you pillage a luxury Siam is trading to me, that hinders and harms me as well as an example.

You asked us to plainly state our intentions for the international community to see, and even in light of your declared war we will do so. We intend to support Siam, but we have no interest in conquering the Venice people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Illven (Poland)
    Show
    While they are currently our only actively cultivated source, the spice trade has now begun in Rio. Though some of our holy men decry the unfortunate deforestation of the surrounding jungle, the spice must flow. Make us an offer and we will certainly begin our shipments.

As for the recent unpleasantness, there certainly is an strand of thought from my employees that we would love to get even for Siam's pyramidal treachery (curse their workers for sabotaging the foundations of our grand pyramid). However, the Venetian declaration of war--especially over a measly raid on barbarians--signals that any civilized organization would stand against their blatant aggression. PedroCourp LLC is prepared to support Siam in this conflict.

Signed,
    Pedro II, CEO of PedroCorp LLC
    Last edited by RayGallade; 2017-04-14 at 07:04 PM.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

5. - Top - End - #155

Spoiler: Brazil;Ray Gallade
    Show

We believe our salt should be fair recompense. It is our only copy but feel free to make a deal for it when it is your turn.

And we too will do what we can to support Siamese defense.

~King Casimir the Third.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Certainly. My interns eagerly await the taste of Polish salt to open their eyes to the wonders of the world, just as our spice guides the leadership.

Signed,
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

7. - Top - End - #157

Spoiler: to Poland
    Show
    Maybe Poland is bigger by some measure unknown to us, you were of very little note to us prior to this moment since our poor marshy soil currently gives us nothing to export.

If you request that we do not burn any luxuries currently being exported we are happy to comply as long as Poland remains at peace with us. Since we are in no current position to burn anything, you have plenty of time to name them.

Spoiler: to Siam
    Show
    ooc: didn't notice your post due to typing my reply to Poland and not double checking the previous page. Mostly I'm just slightly annoyed that I should have cleared that camp three turns ago but missed a turn by accident so the AI walked my archers into a swamp.

The people of the city of Venice are more than happy to apologise for the aggressive actions of our archers. We did not notice the location or involvement of your own troops due to the distances involved. However the spoils from that camp cannot be split due to the request a city state made to us far increased the camp's value beyond what would be maintained from merely looting its inhabitants.

We hope that you will show more courtesy in the future and that such incidents will be avoided in the future. If you wish to reach a diplomatic solution any time soon you might stop by not mocking our honour with your "quotation marks".

Spoiler: spectators
    Show
    So I never got round to making a for spectators and then accidentally declared war because I was bored.

Siam has three cities and at least 1 archer, I have 1 archer and a caterpult and a warrior who is no where near my homeland. I am running a small gold deficit and 8 turns away from finishing a wonder without which I will basically have to surrender so I can't even train new troops right now. I am probably screwed.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2017-04-15 at 11:56 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Venice
    Show
    Our high council has decided Siamese troops have made a mistake pillaging what does not belong to them. Additionally, it seems the skills of our archers are outmatched by their Venetian counterparts, and so are ordered to execute a tactical retreat immediately. Please do not pursue. We do not wish to see whose military power is mightier, as that would only bring endless, needless suffering to the Siamese civilian population. We wish to return to a state of peace, and are happy to make our apology public, if your honor it demands.

To improve our relations and pave way for future trade-related interactions between our nations, we want to find a way to reimburse your loss of political influence with other city states. Somehow, someday.

- Missive from High Council of Siam, on behalf of King Ramkhamhaeng

((I don't know if this makes any sense anymore, edited it so many times))
    Well that was awkward.

9. - Top - End - #159

Show
    We are happy to accept a small price of 20 gold from the barbarian camp if you wish to avoid bloodshed. We hope more peaceful deals can be made in the future.

Regrettably our archers loosed a few more shots before your message reached us. Luckily the swamps should allow your unit to escape but we will not mind if you take a small pot shot at my unit for some "experience points" as you wait for us to accept the offer.

Spoiler: to Brazil, from Venice
    Show
    Greetings. Our ambassador has brought to our intention that there are some pearls in your area. We would be happy to pay above the normal price for these if you make them available to us. We currently have ivory to give away and will have sugar in under ten turns.

Spoiler: much delayed spectator stuff
    Show

My sucky start location, moved one tile to the side to get next to desert. This will let me build Petra which will make the deserts suck a little less and the desert hills (sadly only two of them) into some of the best tiles possible.

As far as I know I'm the only person to not have a river in their capital which is really bad for Venice since I can't build extra cities like a normal player so my capital needs to be the best. This means I can't build a garden for +25% great person generation unless I build the Hanging Gardens and I'll have a major food disadvantage once other players start researching Civil Service. I have no duplicate resource tiles (later I found two sugars to the south but they are under marsh so will take ages to be usable), so the utility of most pantheons and buildings like Granaries, stables and stone works will be limited.

At least I don't have Tundra I suppose.

So I knew from the start that I would be very screwed if I didn't manage to build Petra and the Hanging Gardens.

A later but not exactly up to date screenshot. I have the Hanging Gardens and 7 turns away from Petra now. Since as far as I can tell no one else has a desert capital Petra should be safely mine.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2017-04-15 at 02:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hey, can I possibly get a revert? I thought I submitted a turn when I apparently actually did not, and I had a tech and a policy both pop that turn so I'd like to submit it properly to make sure the AI doesn't do something stupid with that.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

You did submit, but I had to revert (the site was giving me that error where it claims it's your turn but won't let you download). Sorry, should have mentioned here, I forget that some people rely on notifications rather than checking the site manually.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: thirsting (Siam)
    Show
    Hello friend. Good luck fighting those pesky Venetians. But, could you kindly order your warrior squad that is blocking my employees from completing the roadway between Rio and São Paulo? Your troops are blocking my interns' commute.

Signed,

13. - Top - End - #163

Spoiler: Brazil
    Show
    Our squad was looking for a quick route through your lands, in order to to avoid going the long route around. Apologies for being in the way of your road projects for a while there, that was unintentional. The squad will now leave the area as soon as possible.

The incident with Venice has been fought more with sharp words rather than with sharp swords, and we intend to keep it that way.

- King Ramkhamhaeng of Siam

Spoiler: Venice
    Show
    20 gold to avoid further confrontation sounds like a good deal to us.

And for your information: Our growing population needs new places to live in, and so we are going to settle at least one new city South of Venice. We hope you do not see this as an act of aggression, but as an opportunity for trade and peaceful cultural exchange.

- King Ramkhamhaeng of Siam
    Well that was awkward.

14. - Top - End - #164

We of the polish are happy that peace has returned

[We're going to bed, night folks.]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    You did submit, but I had to revert (the site was giving me that error where it claims it's your turn but won't let you download). Sorry, should have mentioned here, I forget that some people rely on notifications rather than checking the site manually.
    Yeah I'm out of the house for so much of the day (and on a computer where I disallow all non-work related cookies which makes logging into GMR every day incredibly tedious) that there's basically no way I'd manually check the site just to see whose turn it is.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Show
    We don't particularly mind where you put your cities, but too much expansion may make us wary. Get as close to our territory as you want, but we may not take kindly to encirclement.

Spoiler: to India
    Show
    Greetings from Venice.

We are currently doing our best to return to cordial relations with Siam, but are concerned by their expansion in a corner of the continent marked by our own limited size and Babylonian passivity.

If you would maybe consider expanding in our direction, you might avoid border disputes with the apparently expansive Poland and create a western limit to Siam. Otherwise we worry that Siam may just keep spreading out over a third of the continent and end up on your doorstep regardless.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2017-04-21 at 09:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167

The Oracle at Alexandria said I was wisest of all the Polish. It is because I alone of all polish know that I know nothing.

For all things onto Mother Earth. May she fill me with her wisdom. The drive of Fire. The freedom of air. The strength of stone, and the community of water.

On this day. King Casimir has died. To be reborn.

As Hierophant Casimir

A Polish history 560 BC.

Spoiler: RayGallade;Brazil
    Show

Well the Siamese got a taste of their own medicine, apparently they were intending to build a shrine to the oracle.

In more worldly news, the Celts have raised a huge army. The largest army to ever exist in our world. You currently have the smallest army of all the nation of the world. We highly recommend you build troops.

~Hierophant Casimir

Spoiler: The snark;India
    Show

Are you interested in a trade for now. Our salt for your silver?

~Hierophant Casimir

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Thank you for the heads up. Our private security force is currently being mobilized in Rio.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

To the people of Brazil,

Balance requires that the united Celtic Tribes control this river valley now. Our formal declaration of war will arrive with our next messenger. Surrender your settlement immediately in response to that or we will take it by force and move on to your capital.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    By the way, does anyone with EUI know where the "Declare War" button is on their diplomacy interface? I don't want to continue having to switch computers to attack people.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170

[OOC free to read Nerd-o-Rama, or is it spectator only? ]

We of the Polish people denounce this naked aggression of the Celtish people. Balance requires death? Surely this "Balance" is placated with the deaths of those who've grown old. Or the death of the savages who know nothing but pillaging?

The Celtish people are merely using their faith as a bludgeon to fulfill political views. To appeal to the worst in their nature. Faith is supposed to make us become our better selves. Humans don't need any aid in being their worst selves. The savages are proof enough of that.

~Hierophant Casimir

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

(Yeah it's a technical question for anybody, I just wanted to separate it.)

Our affairs are none of the concern of distant kings across the wastes, growing decadent on the labors of their people and the obscene wealth of their land. Don't presume to tell us our faith, heathens, unless you're willing to march an army across the desert to deliver your words.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

[OOC It should be on the bottom when you click the screen with the players. Clearly labeled declare war.]

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

See I only get a deal screen. Unless it's on the diplomacy overview panel and I wasn't looking hard enough. I'll look more carefully when my turn comes up again.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    See I only get a deal screen. Unless it's on the diplomacy overview panel and I wasn't looking hard enough. I'll look more carefully when my turn comes up again.
    [It should be above the cancel button.

Wish I had thought to take a picture in 14.]
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-04-23 at 05:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Spoiler: Poland
    Show
    We, too, were trying to lure the famous oracle to settle into one of our cities, but it seems our accommodations lacked the required charms. Wonder what kind of hallucinogenic fumes you are using, that might be it..? Oh well, now that that project can be buried, it seems we at least are able to pay our dept back to you.

- King Ramkamhaeng of Siam

((*shakes fist* ...soooo clooose... ))
    Last edited by thirsting; 2017-04-24 at 08:51 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

26. - Top - End - #176

Turned off the turn timer for now. Real life issues on my end.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Siam still, despite all the city states likely sitting somewhere unreachable for all early game in this map..
    Yeah thats true I totally agree with you.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah, still can't find the declare war button on GMR's diplomacy pane or deal screen, but this time I could just walk a guy into his territory to declare war.

Brazil: I forgot to make the demand official, as we only learned to write a few decades ago, but consider this a final warning to offer us your settlement before we break out the fire arrows.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Boadicea, it is simply bad business to hand over assets for nothing. We are simple workers, looking to cultivate the jungles. Consider your demands rejected and your practices denounced.

Show
    Can we count on you for support against the Celts? We may be defiant, but there is little we can do to hold out for long.

Also, if we offered stewardship of our city to you, do you think that might deter Boadicea from claiming the city?

Spoiler: Zevox (Arabia)
    Show
    Hello friend. I'm sure you've noticed Boadicea's hostility towards us. Any chance we can count on you for military or financial support?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, a heads up guys: the turn I've just taken will be my last. Not because anything IRL is making me leave, but simply because I'm kind of burned out here. These GMR games take forever, and my interest and enthusiasm for Civ is simply not so boundless. I hit the point of putting off taking my turn simply because I'd rather do many other things weeks ago, so I probably should have done this earlier anyway - when a game starts to feel like a chore, probably a good sign you shouldn't be playing it. Heck, the only reason I'm not going to do the same in 15 is because it's so close to over anyway.

Good luck and enjoy, everybody, it was fun for a while.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis