New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: GMR 18 (No more new GMR!)

So those real life issues. My mother had a case of food poisoning so bad it turned into delirious-ism, and dehydration and she had to go to the hospital, and now she'll need rehab to be able to walk again.

But things have somewhat calmed down enough, I'll be putting up the turn timer when it's my turn again, or once I get a yay from everyone who's turn it is between the current player and me in turn order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Oh wow that's serious. Sorry to hear about that, and I'm glad she's recovering.

I'm good with the turn timer now.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #183

In the year 1 AD.

Pocahontaism's druids turned their seeing gazes to the south. Although the fogs of time obscured details, they could see that the Celtish genocide of the Brazilians was not going to be stopped.

With a heavy heart they had to look to the future, and wonder where the Celts would strike next.

The risk that they could strike at the Polish homeland was too large.

Religious communities were formed. Where young children were set to learn the craftsmenship of old. In times of war, any citizen of the faith could start making weapons and armor for the army. In times of peace this boosted the productivity of the people.

And furthermore the druid circles promised to come together to aid soldiers in times of war. These defenders of the faith would bolden any soldiers that were taking defensive actions.

We just had to hope that it would be enough.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

An interdepartmental memo from the desk of Pedro II, former CEO of PedroCorp LLC

My loyal employees, I regret to inform you that there has been a hostile takeover of PedroCorp LLC. We have just filed for bankruptcy and liquidated our arrows, soldiers, and cities. Salvador has been sold to the Siamese in an effort to cover our costs. We certainly hope our arrows also liquidated some of the Celtic invaders who now control the company. I have one final set of instructions for you, my employees: resist the occupiers of our HQ. Ensure that PedroCorp LLC will not be forgotten.

Spoiler: OOC, anyone may read
    Show
    It's been an honor playing, regardless of how short it was. Well played, Nerd-o-rama. There wasn't much I could do by the time you invaded.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

My thought was that RayGallade should be given the option of taking over Arabia. It will be a slight problem for the game with one of the biggest nations under AI control.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    My thought was that RayGallade should be given the option of taking over Arabia. It will be a slight problem for the game with one of the biggest nations under AI control.
    I'd be okay with that.

7. - Top - End - #187

A speech on the slopes of what would come to be known as the Chichen Itza.

The Brazilians are gone. As a people they have been utterly annihilated. We build this great pyramid to honor their memory, using the architectural styles of the Brazilians studied by our earthen druids, the Chichen Itza. The Arabian with their leader gone will come. The scattered Brazilians will come. It is the word of the Druids. The world shall come.

Spoiler: Bonus spectator update
    Show

The Brazilians are gone. Scattered to the winds. They have joined the soil now.

Our scarches move to the south, hoping to gain some warning should the Celts eyes turn to the north.

The palace guards report the speech was well received.

As our worker bands start on tilling the lands riverside.

Other work bands continue to connect colonies.

As Wroclaw's defense force reports no problems. Besides the cold.

Lodz reports no problems at all.

As Krakow watches for signs of Arabian aggression.

Our scouting forces check out the south eastern part of the continent.

Here we see the polish people trying to master a system of higher learning.

As Alexandria starts introducing a system of higher learning for the truly talented among our populace.

As Krakow builds a monument to Pochantism.

Lodz continues on a watermill to turn the water.

Wroclaw works on a system to bring writers in from all over.

An organized system of worship had taken over the Polish people by 80 AD. Although other faiths were tolerated, the one true faith of most polish was Pochantism.

The Polish people were the best at everything except army size, where they were still sizable.

We are starting to pick a few tourists who wish to see the painting in our Parthenon.

Information on the major nations of the world.

My near term plans are to grab Jesuit education in 2 turns. Only Babylon has piety any more then opened, and they don't even have a pantheon. I'll use my decent faith production to buy a few universities for my slower cities. I will then attempt to go straight from education into acoustics. That way I can funnel policies from Poland's ability, straight into rationalism, I also expect I'll get a policy very shortly after I finish acoustics. Depending on what the Celts do though. I may need to go a more warlike tech path.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Yes, please do, if you're still interested in playing. Was about to suggest the same.
    Well that was awkward.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like a solid idea to me.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Chief Brennus, warleader of the United Celtic Tribes, would like to say the following upon his conquest of Rio de Janeiro:

"Keep the gold coming and you get to live. If you don't like that, fight better next time."

We're having the former PedroCorp marketing guys work on translating that into something snappier. For now, though, if you live south of the Arabian desert, please prepare your tributes in advance.

(Also I'd be a okay with Ray stepping in as Arabia. He just. May have to fight me again fair warning. Also regardless good game well played).
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-05-15 at 09:15 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Thanks for the offers to let me play Arabia. However, I'm starting to feel some burnout on Civ at the moment and I think I'm going to stick to two games for now and let this one play out.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

12. - Top - End - #192

At the dawn of 160 AD.

As the Polish religion grew in the minds and hearts of people, a wonderous thing happened.

The druid priests of the religion would take promising youths, and offer them a chance to study the sciences in exchange for joining the priesthood. These acts, unheard of before allowed for those to move up in the world.

It was unofficial at first. But Hierophant Casimir signed the Jesuit education law into effect, later that year.

Spoiler: Venice;Closet skeleton
    Show

The Druids of Alexandria send you a trade deal. Our salt, for your sugar.

~Hierophant Casimir

13. - Top - End - #193

Spoiler: reply to Poland from Venice
    Show
    We must apologise for being unable to sign any deals regarding luxury goods at present. The tastes of the Venetian people are unpredictable and current estimates predict that we are so close to peak happiness that we just don't see any advantage in getting even happier.

In 6-7 turns we will be open to discussions.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Arabia has built a wall around their entire nation. Despite being heathens with no king, they might be the wisest civilization on the continent.

Spoiler: Poland
    Show
    Malacca is far too far from your borders for your strange quasi-druids to protect. The many-natured gods of Balance are in a much better position to do so, and as a closer neighbor of theirs, I recommend withdrawing your protection from that state.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

Spoiler: Nerd-o-rama;Celts
    Show

We decline.

If you so concerned about Malacca's protection, feel free to pledge protection yourself of course.

~Hierophant Casimir

Spoiler: Thristing;Siam
    Show

We believe that the Celts intend to tribute Malacca. The city-state nearby the one Brazil traded to you. If they have troops around they may be peaceful. But they may very well attempt to take the city.

~Hierophant Casimir

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

I'm not scared of composites, and by the time Nerd-o-rama could hit crossbows, first I'll get warning when he hits the medieval era, and then he has to either promote. (And he's running a gold deficit right now.) or build them. Then march about seven or eight turns north. Where (at least right now) I have more hammers and gold.

16. - Top - End - #196

Spoiler: Poland
    Show
    If they intend to invade the city we got from Brazil, there is very little we can do about it. We are not able to protect it.

Would Poland be interested in keeping the city save from the Celts? We don't know what to do with it anyway, it was sort of just dropped on us.

In other words, would you like to buy the city away from us? Honestly, it seems it's becoming a burden to us.

- King Ramkhamhaeng of Siam
    Last edited by thirsting; 2017-05-21 at 03:29 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

17. - Top - End - #197

Show

I will check when I am able. (OOC When it's my turn again) But I very much doubt that I would be willing, while it has luxury resources that we do not currently have, it is so very far away. We ourselves would also be unable to defend it.

One option is to raze the city. Although I believe the Celts would simply do that anyway should they take it, and rebuild on the ruins. Much like their city of Truro.

The only suggestion I have is to just use it as a luxury depo and just build defensive building in the city. Don't let it grow much so it's a net happiness booster.

~Hierophant Casimir

18. - Top - End - #198

In the year 280 AD. The Hagia Sophia was constructed, and another great druid was welcomed into Polish lands.

19. - Top - End - #199

Spoiler: The snark;India
    Show

As discussed over steam, an informal defensive pact exists now between Poland and India.

20. - Top - End - #200

Spoiler: The snark;India
    Show

Greetings from the lands of the Polish. We were wondering. Were the Hinduists (note, is that the proper name for your believers?) interested in a research agreement with our druids.

If so we have sent the starting paperwork.

~Hierophant Casimir

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It is resolved at the Council of Dublin, the following:

• The people of the Celtic Tribes are the people of Balance. Our understanding of the many faces of the world, as revealed by the ancient Tuath Dé and their mortal prophets, will be spread to the rest of the world.
    • We will, for lack of a better option, adopt the heathen Pocahontian Calendar, making this the year AD 380.
    • We re-affirm our commitment to the contemplation of the Universe free of material distraction. The worship of idols and the "Almighty Real" is unacceptable to the multifaceted gods of Balance, and material sacrifice will remain the initiation rite for our church.
    • To that end, we will develop and distribute iilluminated manuscripts to better bring the word to the heathen followers of Profit in our easternmost provinces, and beyond them to the rest of the world.
    • To better understand the many aspects of Balance, the migratory war clans will make a pilgrimage en masse to the holy Mt. Kilimanjaro.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

Spoiler: Celts
    Show
    Fine. We don't want any blood spilled over this. You can have Salvador for a nominal sum of gold, if it means the people living there can continue living there.

- King Ramkhamhaeng of Siam
    Well that was awkward.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: Siam
    Show
    Thank you.

Obviously, I fixed my connection problem, so the turn timer can go back on, sorry for not mentioning that earlier. Now to be briefly confused by it being Venice's turn here and thinking this was 16 and then move on with my day.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

"Thinking it's nerd-o-rama's turn because it's Venice"

Now you know my eternal pain.

I'll wait till it's my turn to add the timer.

25. - Top - End - #205

Turn timer readded.

26. - Top - End - #206

Spoiler: Closet skeleton;Venice
    Show

It's been sereval years, are you interested in a luxury trade?

~Hierophant Casimir.

27. - Top - End - #207

Spoiler: reply to poland
    Show
    Unless you're willing to give up your dyes or sell your salt for less than 5 gold per turn, no we are not.

28. - Top - End - #208

Spoiler: India;The snark
    Show

Now that we have these horsemen in heavy armor to patrol both of our lands for threats. Would you care to formalize our defensive alliance.

~Hierophant Casimir the third.

Spoiler: Ramkanheng;Siam
    Show

Would you care to send funding to a program to exchange scientists between our lands?

29. - Top - End - #209

Spoiler: Spectator update
    Show

Turn 97, and over 200 science.

30. - Top - End - #210

Show

As per the terms agreed to on Steam. We have delivered a gift of 75 gold, in exchange for our noncompeting with our druids of the earth on a great church that shall be known as Notre dame.

Separately we will also trade our dyes for your sugar.