New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    I seem to recall flavor text saying that all dragons lose their pupils as they age, with older dragons simply having solid orbs reminiscent of their elemental type.
    Isn't that only for true dragons, though? Sunwyrms are a standalone monster that happens to have the dragon type.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Isn't that only for true dragons, though? Sunwyrms are a standalone monster that happens to have the dragon type.
    Okay fair point, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend Folio pg. 165
    A fanged mouth and horns dominate the creature's draconic head, and almost-liquid light seems to seep from its eyes.
    Therefore, sunwryms have eyes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Okay fair point, but:

Therefore, sunwryms have eyes.
    Nice find: guess you're right.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

The Sentry Ooze template states in the abilities section it is +2 Int. They are under the impression that doing this to a mindless ooze will give it an Int of 2, but nonabilities aren't zero.

It might have been said before, but Spikers have DR 2/bludgeoning. The text describes it as if it were DR 2/slashing or piercing.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2016-12-17 at 01:43 AM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    It might have been said before, but Spikers have DR 2/bludgeoning. The text describes it as if it were DR 2/slashing or piercing.
    This one was said before, and it was pointed out that it was fixed in errata, so a close call but no dysfunction.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Book of Blood (Complete Arcane): one of it's powers is finger of death 1/day...
    but each such use permanently drains 1 hit point from the wielder.
    Wait a minute, how the heck exactly works hp drain?
    Is there any ways to protect from it (short of Timeless Body)?
    How we can even restore drained hps?
    Also, Book of Blood is one more unconventional way to kill the Tarrasque without resorting to Wish or Miracle: Regeneration doesn't do jack against the hp drain, so, if somebody with Book of Blood will possess T - after the ~ 2 years, 4 months, 2 weeks, and few days - it will be dead. It looks like very long and ineffective way to do it, but it's one more way to ignore supposedly-set-in-stone restriction
    The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

Constructs who are made wholly of adamantine - such as Adamantine Golem or Animated Object (chunk of adamantine) - are incapable neither to overcome DR/adamantine, nor to ignore hardness up to 20

Spikes of Warforged from Spiked Body feat may cause damage: "1d6 points for a Medium warforged"; spikes of Warforged Juggernaut - "1d6 points of piercing damage" - regardless of size
    Also,
    Healing Immunity: Starting at 3rd level, as a warforged juggernaut becomes more like a construct and less like a living creature, it becomes immune to the effects of spells from the healing subschool.
    Guess: in which subschool are Raise Dead, Resurrection, and True Resurrection?
    (Also, no way to animate as Undead: Construct Perfection III cause immunity to Necromancy)
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2016-12-17 at 03:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Book of Blood (Complete Arcane): one of it's powers is finger of death 1/day... Wait a minute, how the heck exactly works hp drain?
    Is there any ways to protect from it (short of Timeless Body)?
    How we can even restore drained hps?
    Also, Book of Blood is one more unconventional way to kill the Tarrasque without resorting to Wish or Miracle: Regeneration doesn't do jack against the hp drain, so, if somebody with Book of Blood will possess T - after the ~ 2 years, 4 months, 2 weeks, and few days - it will be dead. It looks like very long and ineffective way to do it, but it's one more way to ignore supposedly-set-in-stone restriction
    You don't kill big T that way, you just incapacitate it permanently in yet another way. To kill it you still need a Wish or Miracle.

Spikes of Warforged from Spiked Body feat may cause damage: "1d6 points for a Medium warforged"; spikes of Warforged Juggernaut - "1d6 points of piercing damage" - regardless of size
    No dysfunction. Weird, but no dysfunction.

Also,Guess: in which subschool are Raise Dead, Resurrection, and True Resurrection?
    (Also, no way to animate as Undead: Construct Perfection III cause immunity to Necromancy)
    'Cannot be raised or resurrected' is not a dysfunction. The same goes for 'cannot be raised as undead'. At most, it's an unintended consquence of following the rules, like a monk 20 becoming immune to Enlarge Person.

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

You don't kill big T that way, you just incapacitate it permanently in yet another way. To kill it you still need a Wish or Miracle.
    Dead:
    The character’s hit points are reduced to -10, his Constitution drops to 0, or he is killed outright by a spell or effect. The character’s soul leaves his body. Dead characters cannot benefit from normal or magical healing, but they can be restored to life via magic. A dead body decays normally unless magically preserved, but magic that restores a dead character to life also restores the body either to full health or to its condition at the time of death (depending on the spell or device). Either way, resurrected characters need not worry about rigor mortis, decomposition, and other conditions that affect dead bodies.
    Also, line about "wish or miracle" is in the Regeneration SQ. Regeneration doesn't do a thing against hp drain, and Dead creatures are incapable to regenerate

'Cannot be raised or resurrected' is not a dysfunction. The same goes for 'cannot be raised as undead'. At most, it's an unintended consquence of following the rules, like a monk 20 becoming immune to Enlarge Person.
    Isn't many of dysfunctions are exactly "an unintended consquence of following the rules" (such as, for example, Dread Necromancer can be harmed by his own Negative Energy Burst)?
    I pointed it as dysfunction, because I seriously doubt writer's intention was: "If Juggernaut is dead - then it should stay dead! Yes, and no necromancy! I wouldn't allow a robot zombie in my game!"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Also HP drain is explicitly healed by Wish or Miracle in the rules for it in BoED. I did not realize there was a second source of it gloating around the game though.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isn't many of dysfunctions are exactly "an unintended consquence of following the rules" (such as, for example, Dread Necromancer can be harmed by his own Negative Energy Burst)?
    I pointed it as dysfunction, because I seriously doubt writer's intention was: "If Juggernaut is dead - then it should stay dead! Yes, and no necromancy! I wouldn't allow a robot zombie in my game!"
    I think it is totally intended. Warforged Juggernauts become more construct-like, and constructs cannot be raised or animated. Without specific spells of course.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Also HP drain is explicitly healed by Wish or Miracle in the rules for it in BoED. I did not realize there was a second source of it gloating around the game though.
    Ah, Vassal of Bahamut...
    Indeed - it cause "permanent hit point drain"
    But, by the RAW, "wish or miracle spell can restore hit points drained permanently by a vassal's dragonwrack ability."
    Thus, ways to restore hit point drain by any other reason - such as Book of Blood - is still unclear

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    I think it is totally intended. Warforged Juggernauts become more construct-like, and constructs cannot be raised or animated. Without specific spells of course.
    Rebuild Item utterance actually able to restore at least some of Constructs - since Craft Construct is [Item Creation] feat, Constructs are items

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Isn't there also 'revive construct'? Is that a healing spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't there also 'revive construct'? Is that a healing spell?
    AFAIK, 'revive construct' is a homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

In relation to ShurikVch's quote about the dead condition, while I haven't read the rules regarding HP drain, I would contend that while the target's HPs are going down, this is different that reducing their HP via damage. You are changing the total possible value rather than the current value.

How is it even possible to have a HP max of -10. Isn't there a rule that states a creature always has a minimum of 1 HP per HD?

Apologies if this is addressed in the rules for HP drain.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2016-12-17 at 09:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

AFAIK, 'revive construct' is a homebrew
    I was sure it was in spell compendium next to revive outsider...

Regarding the tarrasque, I suppose the thing that keeps it 'alive' at -10 hp is that its soul doesn't leave at that point. We need wish or miracle to boot that spark out.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

In relation to ShurikVch's quote about the dead condition, while I haven't read the rules regarding HP drain I would contend that while the target'still HPs are going down this is different that reducing their HP via damage. You are changing the total possible value rather than the current value.

How is it even possible to have a HP max of -10. Isn't there a rule that states a creature always has a minimum of 1 HP per HD?

Apologies if this is addressed in the rules for HP drain.
    I'm pretty sure that rule only applies to HP penalties per hit die. It's to stop you rolling negative health as you level a character

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nailbudday View Post
    I'm pretty sure that rule only applies to HP penalties per hit die. It's to stop you rolling negative health as you level a character
    IIRC the rule is that you cannot roll below a 1 on health, but if your Con drops your max HP can fall under what that rule would provide. EX: A person with 3 levels, a d4, and a Con of 4 would have 3 HP max. If they took one Con damage their max HP would fall to 0 and they would suffer appropriate.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I was sure it was in spell compendium next to revive outsider...

Regarding the tarrasque, I suppose the thing that keeps it 'alive' at -10 hp is that its soul doesn't leave at that point. We need wish or miracle to boot that spark out.
    You are mistaken. The spell immediately before revive outsider is reverse arrows. Revive construct does not exist in 3.5 (though it really should) since the spell right after is revive undead.

Interestingly, this brings me to a related dysfunction:

If you take at least 3 levels of warforged juggernaut, you cannot be brought back from the dead with any of the normal rez spells. you'd have to be reincarnated or last breathed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    IIRC the rule is that you cannot roll below a 1 on health, but if your Con drops your max HP can fall under what that rule would provide. EX: A person with 3 levels, a d4, and a Con of 4 would have 3 HP max. If they took one Con damage their max HP would fall to 0 and they would suffer appropriate.
    Yes, that's correct. it's on p58 of the phb.

If you take the frail flaw under these circumstances, you can have 0hp for the level.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

A crowbar gives a +2 bonus on strength checks made for "such purposes"; no context given.

Hitting someone with a hammer deals as much bludgeoning damage as a spiked gauntlet of its size, which is zero.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-12-19 at 05:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    A crowbar gives a +2 bonus on strength checks made for "such purposes"; no context given.

Hitting someone with a hammer deals as much bludgeoning damage as a spiked gauntlet of its size, which is zero.
    The text is elaborated upon and given the required context in the PHB. Why those parts were removed from the SRD is beyond me.

How do you figure? A spiked gauntlet is a light weapon that deals 1d4 points of damage for a medium creature. Therefore a hammer, as a one-handed weapon made for a medium creature, should deal 1d6.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2016-12-19 at 12:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

I know it's not for serious, but still: Pig Bound - pig is "maximum load"; clothing have listed weights; does it mean hypothetical Pig Bound Commoner should be also either immobile, naked, or mounted?
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2016-12-19 at 01:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

How do you figure? A spiked gauntlet is a light weapon that deals 1d4 points of damage for a medium creature. Therefore a hammer, as a one-handed weapon made for a medium creature, should deal 1d6.
    Meaning a Spiked Gauntlet does precisely 0 Bludgeoning damage. It does deal piercing damage though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Couldn't the sentence be read as 'deals as much bludgeoning damage as the amount of damage done by a spiked gauntlet of its size?'.

A spiked gauntlet deals 1d4 points of damage: type is irrelevant. Therefore, a hammer deals 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage.

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Couldn't the sentence be read as 'deals as much bludgeoning damage as the amount of damage done by a spiked gauntlet of its size?'.

A spiked gauntlet deals 1d4 points of damage: type is irrelevant. Therefore, a hammer deals 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage.
    Oh yeah, that's clearly the way everyone both initially and should interpret it. The whole sensible interpretation thing means it probably shouldn't be added to the handbook or anything. I was just trying to clarify what the proposed dysfunction was.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

immobile, naked, or mounted
    I really want to make a certain Brooklyn Nine Nine reference here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't remember if I mentioned this before, but casting Alter Self to turn into a swarm doesn't grant you swarm traits. Which means that despite your body physically turning into thousands of little critters, you can somehow still be grappled.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

I don't think it could be. If I say "There are as many green feathers in the box as in the barrel", that means "The number of feathers which are green and in the box is the same as the number of feathers which are green and in the barrel", not "The number of feathers which are in the box is the same as the number of feathers which are in the barrel, and also the ones in the box are green but I can make no assurances about the colours of the ones in the barrel."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

I don't think it could be. If I say "There are as many green feathers in the box as in the barrel", that means "The number of feathers which are green and in the box is the same as the number of feathers which are green and in the barrel", not "The number of feathers which are in the box is the same as the number of feathers which are in the barrel, and also the ones in the box are green but I can make no assurances about the colours of the ones in the barrel."
    Well that depends on the context. This might just be me but if I don't know the contents of the barrel, or if the barrel has some known number of green feathers in it, I'd assume that there are as many green feathers in it as in the box. But if I know that if there are some number of feathers in the barrel and NONE of them are green, I'd assume you meant "There are as many green feathers in the box as total feathers in the barrel" and not "There are zero green feathers you dummy" (barring obvious sarcasm). I think that "A hammer deals the same damage that a spiked gauntlet does, but as bludgeoning damage" is valid since we know a spiked gauntlet doesn't deal bludgeoning damage.
    Last edited by nailbudday; 2016-12-20 at 12:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

I personally think that in a RAW based thread, we need to look at what an ability says, not what we think it's obvious that it means.

Unrelated: Gen, who cannot cast spells and, when forced to fight, do so with their slam attack, have the Combat Casting and Weapon Finesse feats.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

I personally think that in a RAW based thread, we need to look at what an ability says, not what we think it's obvious that it means.
    The point is that when you have a sentence that requires parsing, and one way of parsing it has no dysfunction and the other does, it's not a dysfunction. Or at least, not a strong one. If the rule was "you get 100 gp every time you give me all the red feathers in that magic box that generates red feathers sometimes," and there are no red feathers in the box, the rule either means you can't give any red feathers until some appear, or that you get infinite gp because you can give me 0 red feathers in an infinitesimally small time. The one is clearly dysfunctional, but that doesn't mean it's what the rule says, per se.