New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1384
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List

Silver Fire is a SU ability so it can't be activated in an antimagic field.... if it could be activated it would destroy an antimagic field.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by AthasianWarlock View Post
    Silver Fire is a SU ability so it can't be activated in an antimagic field.... if it could be activated it would destroy an antimagic field.
    You can't use it from inside, but from the outside it works as normal. That's not a dysfunction, like how mage's disjunction can dispel AMF (the spell) from the outside but not from the inside.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ettin in the Playground

Ancestral vengeance is a 2nd level Shaman spell that deals 1d6/2 levels damage (1d8/2 levels in the update) to a target, or 1d6/level if they are undead. It has a fort save for half damage, which means that it actually deals no damage to undead. Whoops!
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ettin in the Playground

As pointed out by Doctor Awkward, the Mercurial Strike feat requires an enemy provoke an AoO from you while you are unarmed, and thus do not threaten.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Troll in the Playground

/Note the feat works fine if you have IUS. Which is pretty lurpy and it is definitely dysfunctional since why would a feat exists that let's you hit with a [i]different[/t] weapon and does not require the feat it needs to work?

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree that it's dysfunctional and here's why.
    You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action. Generally, that means everything in all squares adjacent to your space (including diagonally). An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you. If you’re unarmed, you don’t normally threaten any squares and thus can’t make attacks of opportunity.
    Your threatened area is defined by the area that you can make melee attacks into, per the first bolded section. There's a specific restriction on unarmed attacks, per the second bolded section. Mercurial Strike is an exception to that restriction, which means it overrides it, allowing you to make opportunity attacks regardless. Your threatened area is still defined because the base definition (back to the first bolded part) can now be applied without the added restriction.

I didn't check RC, so I could be missing something here, but I think the feat works.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ettin in the Playground

Can Mercurial Strike enable you to override this clause without stating within the feat "you threaten even though you are unarmed" or something to that extent in the feat? Usually feats like this acknowledge the normal rules, either in their wording, or by having a "normal" section.
    Awards

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Usually they do, but it's not like they have to.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonborn is a funny thing. Part template, part class, source of numerous oddities. In the traits section under type and subtype we have the following line.
    For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is considered a dragon and a member of her original race.
    Which means that they apparently aren't counted as a dragonborn for the purpose of effects, but more importantly being a dragon means goodies like automatically qualifying for prereqs that require dragonblood, taking fun feats like rapidstrike, etc.
    Awards

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Dragonborn is a funny thing. Part template, part class, source of numerous oddities. In the traits section under type and subtype we have the following line.

Which means that they apparently aren't counted as a dragonborn for the purpose of effects, but more importantly being a dragon means goodies like automatically qualifying for prereqs that require dragonblood, taking fun feats like rapidstrike, etc.
    Huh... so like, if there were a magic item which only worked for Dragonborn, then even a Dragonborn would need to UMD-to-emulate-race to use the item.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree about dragonborn not belonging to their own race. Half-elves and half-orcs have similar text. If RoD had said "For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is only considered a dragon and a member of her original race", sure. But I see nothing to indicate that the transformed creature wouldn't inherently have the dragonborn race as well.

I preemptively dismiss arguments that the race has to be explicitly written. Would you assume that the half-celestial template doesn't make you a half-celestial, too, just because it doesn't have a line saying "You become a half-celestial"?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe, it's just me, but from the description of Meteoric Knife -
    Spoiler: Meteoric Knife
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Item Compendium
    This knife functions as a +1 dagger. In
    addition, a meteoric knife has three charges,
    which are renewed each day at dawn.
    Spending 1 or more charges enhances the
    dagger’s magical properties as described
    below. The effects last for 1 round.
    1 charge: The dagger gains the returning
    property.
    2 charges: The dagger gains the flaming
    and returning properties.
    3 charges: The dagger gains the flaming
    and returning properties (DMG 224–225).
    In addition, if it hits a creature, it deals
    normal damage and creates an explosion
    of fire that deals an extra 3d6 points of
    fire damage to the target and all creatures
    adjacent to it (Refl ex DC 14 half).
    - I initially got: "There is no difference between spending two or three points, and explosion happens regardless of points you spent (or even - didn't spent)."

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I disagree about dragonborn not belonging to their own race. Half-elves and half-orcs have similar text. If RoD had said "For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is only considered a dragon and a member of her original race", sure. But I see nothing to indicate that the transformed creature wouldn't inherently have the dragonborn race as well.

I preemptively dismiss arguments that the race has to be explicitly written. Would you assume that the half-celestial template doesn't make you a half-celestial, too, just because it doesn't have a line saying "You become a half-celestial"?
    I can see that, but they're still counted as dragons, which is clearly not the intent.
    Awards

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    I can see that, but they're still counted as dragons, which is clearly not the intent.
    Really? I recognize it as unwise, but what suggests to you that it's unintended?

Oh, do you mean that you think the intention was "counts as a dragonborn and their base race" instead of just "dragon and their base race"?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Really? I recognize it as unwise, but what suggests to you that it's unintended?

Oh, do you mean that you think the intention was "counts as a dragonborn and their base race" instead of just "dragon and their base race"?
    I think the intention was indeed that it would count as dragonborn and their base race.

I recognize I made a strong claim, and I can't definitively prove that that they didn't intend it, but there are a number of other dragonblooded races, none of which count as dragons. It's not normal and certainly may be unprecedented for a creature to count as a different type for the purposes of effects rather than just changing type. This is also the book that features dragonwrought kobold, which changes your type to dragon. They could have simply made them the Dragon type if they wanted to, but they didn't.
    Awards

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Brew flesh craft poison from one of paizo's 3.5 adventure books is unusable without houserules. Even then has a lot of meaningless rules in it.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oberron View Post
    Brew flesh craft poison from one of paizo's 3.5 adventure books is unusable without houserules. Even then has a lot of meaningless rules in it.
    Care to elaborate?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    From the srd:

In addition to the several fleshcrafting procedures listed, it’s encouraged in drow society for characters experienced with fleshcrafting to constantly experiment and invent new ways of twisting flesh. The following feat is required to successfully brew a fleshcrafting potion.

Prerequisites: Caster level 10th, 8 or more ranks in Craft (alchemy).

Benefit: You can create a fleshcrafting poison capable of mimicking one monster ability. Brewing a poison takes 1 day. When you create a fleshcrafting poison, you set the caster level, which can be no higher than your own level. The base price of a temporary fleshcrafting poison is its caster level × the CR of the creature used in the fleshcrafting × 50 gp. To brew a poison, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing 1/2 this base price.

The base price of a permanent fleshcrafting poison is its caster level × the CR of the creature used in the fleshcrafting × 1000 gp. To brew a poison, you must spend 1/25 of this price in XP and use up raw materials costing 1/2 this base price.

Note: If the fleshcrafting is an original creation, use the nearest equivalent monster that possesses a similar body part or ability

Setting the caster level has no point for the DC which is something you WANT to fail and can just chose to. It's a poison that does good stuff. It's cheaper to make when the caster lvl is lower. On all the examples in the book it list some negative effects but doesn't say how they got to those negative effects also says they replace body parts but the feat doesn't. Doesn't define what a monster ability is. The caster level can't be higher but you could make it 0 for free or even negative since setting CL doesn't have a limit aside from being low enough to cast the spell for crafting which no spell is used. No listed duration 9r even a way to calculate one even using examples given in the book. It goes on and on about how houser led this feat really is.
    Last edited by Oberron; 2019-09-04 at 11:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a new one: guess how many classes in the game able to qualify for Fleshwarper PrC (Lords of Madness)?
    Two: Adept and Dread Necromancer.
    But what's about the Wizard and Sorcerer? How are they unfit for this PrC?
    Simple: they're don't have the Summon Familiar class feature!
    But wait... They do have it - there it is, in the tables!
    Exactly! In the tables - but not in the text: text says just "Familiar:" - not "Summon Familiar:", and text trumps table...

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    There is a new one: guess how many classes in the game able to qualify for Fleshwarper PrC (Lords of Madness)?
    Exactly! In the tables - but not in the text: text says just "Familiar:" - not "Summon Familiar:", and text trumps table...
    When discussion if something is Dysfunctional or Not, ignore primary source rules.
    Otherwise, we have several times as many rules that are considered dysfunctional.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Pixie in the Playground

I would argue that this isn't a disagreement between text and table - ain't no rule saying that there can't be two different terms to refer to the same class feature.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

And one more: Bogun (Monster Manual II)
    Alignment: Always neutral (same as the creator)
    And what's if the creator isn't Neutral?

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

And one more: Bogun (Monster Manual II)And what's if the creator isn't Neutral?
    Clearly, you can only create boguns if you're neutral.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Barbarian in the Playground

And one more: Bogun (Monster Manual II)And what's if the creator isn't Neutral?
    Clearly, Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, and Chaotic Evil are forbidden from creating.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Spirit shaman sheds a single tear.
    Awards

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HouseRules View Post
    Clearly, Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, and Chaotic Evil are forbidden from creating.
    But what if the creator later change their alignment to one of those?

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

Pathfinder(1)'s Overwatch Style feat lets its user ready two ranged attacks with different triggers at the same time. They are explicitly different readied actions.

Unfortunately for Overwatch Style adepts, a readied action is lost if the user takes any other action after readying it. Thus, they can't actually take both shots; they get one shot with a broader trigger condition. And the -2 Rapid Shot penalty, because that text's fully functional.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2019-10-04 at 12:57 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Theurgy is a Pathfinder feat that lets you sacrifice arcane/divine spell slots to boost the opposite kind of spells.
    Prerequisites: Wis 13, Int or Cha 13, able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, able to cast 1st-level divine spells.
    [...]
    When casting an arcane spell, you may sacrifice a divine spell slot or prepared divine spell of the same or higher level as a swift action. Half the damage dealt by the arcane spell becomes holy (if you channel positive energy) or unholy (if you channel negative energy).
    You need to be able to channel energy to determine the outcome of sacrificing a divine spell slot, but channeling energy isn't one of the prerequisites.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

As explained by Zaq in this thread, Darkmask gives sneak attack as a class feature, but doesn't describe how many dice.
    Awards

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ettin in the Playground

Creatures with Fire immunity are able to swim in molten iron, but still would die from boiling water

Also, I know "All example characters are known to be wrong", but still point one thing for how widespread it is:
    Most of Humanoids are have some "racial" subtype (Human, Baatezu etc.)
    But in example creatures for the templates - if template changes type, then subtype is absent
    While sometimes RAW actually required subtype removal (such as for Zombie), in other cases there is no such demand, but subtypes are missing all the same (see "Sample Vampire" in Monster Manual and "Half-Troll Barbazu" in Fiend Folio for examples)

And speaking of subtypes: for all common playable races, there are no RAW which says they're have the subtype - neither in Player's Handbook, nor in Monster Manual

And one even more widespread problem: almost none of monster stat blocks includes unarmed strike or touch attack; it causes cases of "Attack: —" (such as for Bat).
    Too small to make any damage? Well, how about the Kaiju Bat? Still "Attack: —"?