New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Then she falls, because the ability doesn't shield you from breaking your Code of Conduct. Easy.

The real question is why you apparently are immune to all negative levels while holding an unholy sword, not just those bestowed by the sword itself.
    That's not what the ability says, it says...

...huh, I guess that is what the ability says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Noctumancer's Innate Counterspell has the following text (emphasis added)
    "Once per day, you can counter a spell as an immediate action, by expending a mystery use per day, a spell slot (if you prepare spells), or a spell use (if you are a spontaneous caster)."

You may notice that this is flip-flopped. Real question is, are they still meaningful, or does it not function with a strict reading?

Guards and wards has a range that is inside its area. I'll plead ignorance as to whether this works, can someone help?
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2016-12-27 at 08:12 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Guards and wards has a range that is inside its area. I'll plead ignorance as to whether this works, can someone help?
    I don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

I think Guards and Wards is the least dysfunctional spell. The range is 'within the area to be warded' which means that you're actually warding a location or place instead of some random circle that happens to include most of the building you're fortifying.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nailbudday View Post
    I think Guards and Wards is the least dysfunctional spell. The range is 'within the area to be warded' which means that you're actually warding a location or place instead of some random circle that happens to include most of the building you're fortifying.
    Isn't there that rule to the effect of "spell area beyond its range is wasted"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Right, and since the range is "anywhere in the area" instead of "all of the area specified" that would mean you only put the effect on a small part of the area, right?
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Eyes of the Eagle:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    These items are made of special crystal and fit over the eyes of the wearer. These lenses grant a +5 competence bonus on Spot checks. Wearing only one of the pair causes a character to become dizzy and, in effect, stunned for 1 round. Thereafter, the wearer can use the single lens without being stunned so long as she covers her other eye. Of course, she can remove the single lens and see normally at any time, or wear both lenses to end or avoid the dizziness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2016-12-28 at 01:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Eyes of the Eagle:

Spoiler
    Show
    What's dysfunctional about a magic item designed by humanoids for humanoids that cyclopes can't use effectively?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Eyes of the Eagle:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wear a lens over the other. Problem solved.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    What's dysfunctional about a magic item designed by humanoids for humanoids that cyclopes can't use effectively?
    OK, then how about the fact there are at least some creatures who have more than 2 eyes?
    Eyes of the Eagle, by the RAW, would work just fine for them - despite they doesn't covering all of their eyes -, but any 1-eyed creature is incapable to use it normally, despite don't having any eyes which may stun them by unfocused images

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

There's this bit of text in the ardent's description:

Manifesting a power from an aligned mantle is considered an act of that alignment, however, so most ardents who take two opposed mantles are neutral.
    In other words: a chaotic psion who liberally uses Hammer or Grip of Iron risks becoming lawful. That seems rather unintended.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Psions cast from mantles.

13. - Top - End - #133

GnomePirate

They don't, but a Psychic Warrior or Wilder that took the 'Mantled' acf from PHB II would be subject to this little bit of weirdness.
    Last edited by nailbudday; 2016-12-29 at 01:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Psions cast from mantles.
    I guess there's some ambiguity whether 'from' is referring to the power or the manifesting.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    There's this bit of text in the ardent's description:

In other words: a chaotic psion who liberally uses Hammer or Grip of Iron risks becoming lawful. That seems rather unintended.
    I don't think that's a dysfunction, unless you believe [evil] spells making you evil is one. It just happens to be that the mantles themselves are what gives alignment to the powers, not the power itself (or the class).
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I don't know, does Hammer or Grip of Iron have any fluff about "using the foul powers of unlife" to give their utterly neutral effects the [Evil] [Lawful] descriptor?

I've always been confused by mantles anyway. They aren't capes, why are the called that?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I had some more thoughts on unarmed strikes.

I agree that there is some ambiguity as to whether or not a creature has more than one UaS, but there is another point to consider: could someone two-weapon fight with a gauntlet and an unarmed strike?

Is the Improved Unarmed Strike feat more specific than the Gauntlet weapon? Can a creature deal non-lethal damage with a gauntlet at no penalty if they have the feat?

If a character is wearing one gauntlet and they use an unarmed strike with an unarmored part of their body, does the gauntlet still let them deal lethal damage?

Enhancing weapons could be considered an 'effect'. Can a monk have their fists enhanced as though they were magic weapons? Is this more specific than a weapon needing to be masterwork before it is enhanced?

Weapons of a special material are always considered masterwork. If a monk could turn their body into adamantine or mythril, could their body be enhanced as a weapon?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Enhancing weapons could be considered an 'effect'. Can a monk have their fists enhanced as though they were magic weapons? Is this more specific than a weapon needing to be masterwork before it is enhanced?
    No.

Weapons of a special material are always considered masterwork. If a monk could turn their body into adamantine or mythril, could their body be enhanced as a weapon?
    Depends on how you do it. If it's via the Artifact Lord feat, sure, I guess. If it's via Adamantine Body, then no.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

The Evergreen spell is one I don't understand. You heal a small amount of damage to natural plants in the area and make them immune to cold. This spell also affects creatures of the plant subtype, which of course does not exist.
    Awards

20. - Top - End - #140

GnomePirate

Revisiting Elocator from XPH, the Scorned Earth class feature says that an Elocator floats 1 foot above the ground, and then immediately follows it with this gem:
    Quote Originally Posted by XPH
    While she remains within 1 foot of a flat surface of any solid or liquid, she can take normal actions and make normal attacks, and can move at her normal speed (she can even “run” at four times her normal speed). However, at distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes to 10 feet per round.
    Not, one foot above a flat surface. I guess this functions as the monk's slowfall feature but I'm near positive it's not supposed to. Also you can run 40ft a round sideways while falling which is definitely not supposed to happen since its based on levitate.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

A question, and I ask it here because it could lead to an interesting issue. Is insanity itself explicitly mind affecting? Some spells are mind affecting, but the confused condition and insanity aren't defined as such.

So a monster has an EX ability to inflict insanity. Is that mind affecting? If the ability says "as though affected by the Insanity spell" does that indicate that it is mind affecting? Because it may also mean that it's an enchantment and subject to the effects that apply to that (otilukes suppressing field or break enchantment for example) even though it's not a spell.

So there are a couple of options. An EX confusion/insanity effect could lack the mind affecting tag and be applied to mindless creatures. The EX effect could inherit from the spells of the same names and then itself be affected by spell breaking/countering effects. I'm not quite sure how the RAW works out here.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Here's one I noticed working on my Warlock handbook. The dark discorporation invocation locks you into swarmlike form. You can't turn back to normal even if you want to. If it isn't dispelled, you're stuck as a swarm until the full duration expires. That's 24 hours of being unable to take any action besides a move action.

"But Troacctid! All invocations can be dismissed! It's a general rule!"

Right, and what action does it take to dismiss them, again? Let me see...ah, yes, a standard action. Isn't that nice.

23. - Top - End - #143

Right, and what action does it take to dismiss them, again? Let me see...ah, yes, a standard action. Isn't that nice.
    Obviously, the writers expected all warlocks with that invocation to have a slotless Belt of Battle and levels in Ruby Knight Vindicator.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #144

GnomePirate

Obviously by turning into a swarm you actually gain the Worm that Walks template.

Actually, speaking of Worm that Walks: Their Discorporate ability says they can scatter their component vermin and that if at least one survives it can breed and rebuild the Worm. No mention of how long this takes though.
    Last edited by nailbudday; 2017-01-08 at 10:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Actually, speaking of Worm that Walks: Their Discorporate ability says they can scatter their component vermin and that if at least one survives it can breed and rebuild the Worm. No mention of how long this takes though.
    Well, standard action is the default, isn't it?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

It takes as long as the plot demands!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Xorvintaal Dragon template, Rejuvenation ability:
    When a xorvintaal dragon reaches –10 hit points, it doesn’t actually die. All life functions cease, however, and the dragon is functionally a corpse for the purpose of resolving all spells that affect dead bodies. It takes a Heal check (DC 20 + dragon’s age category) to detect any vital signs. It remains at –10 hit points no matter what damage or healing it receives. Death effects still affect the dragon normally, and dismembering or skinning the corpse is sufficient to kill it.
    When 10 minutes have passed since the dragon last took damage, it gains fast healing 10. It still appears dead until it reaches its full normal hit points.
    I wonder: does those "spells" include such as Resurrection/True Resurrection?
    If yes, then it may allow to make Zerg Rush - with dragons!

Game have several ways to make remotely controlled copies of creatures (such as Astral Projection or Ice Assassin), but notoriously obscure about how it works in more exotic situations.
    For example, if Astral Projection was affected by Mind Seed, does it mean effect will come to your "real" body, or just fizzle away?
    Or, what if Ice Assassin was hit with Searing Seed? Does it mean birth of second Ice Assassin with Half-Fiend template? Will that new Half-Fiend Ice Assassin also immune to healing, controlled by the caster, and have target detector? Will that spell work at all (it require living target)?
    Or how about the Putrefaction spell? Would copies be affected at all? If Astral Projection affected, wouldn't it cause your "real" body to age too? Will Ice Assassin die from old age? If yes - then will it's Ghost appear?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Obviously by turning into a swarm you actually gain the Worm that Walks template.

if at least one survives it can breed and rebuild the Worm
    one can breed
    Wow, those are some impressive worms!
    Awards

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Wow, those are some impressive worms!
    Well that's not biologically impossible, especially if it was just part of a huge colony of worms. Also it could find other worms somewhere else, although that invites a "worm swarm of Theseus" dilemma. Not to mention, cutting the worm in half can make 2 quickly enough.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Well the weirdness with finding other worms is that presumably the worms in a Worm that Walks are somehow different from your garden variety worm, so it's unclear whether they could "infect" the offspring.

Also, if they really are made of worms, how do they inflict damage on engulfed opponents? It's something I never understood.

In terms of actual rules, what does it mean when it says that when discorporated vermin "are treated no differently from other vermin"? They have no stats, so can they even be killed in the first place?
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2017-01-10 at 11:46 AM.
    Awards