New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 183334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1468
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: WarKitty's Feline Frenzy Random Banter #216

I don't understand YouTube these days. I'm having a problem dealing with these trolls on YouTube. And they believe I made crappy videos and they want me to leave YouTube. First off they trolls don't know me and I make great videos. Second I'm not leaving YouTube just because a few trolls said so. I'm standing my ground for this one.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I don't understand YouTube these days. I'm having a problem dealing with these trolls on YouTube. And they believe I made crappy videos and they want me to leave YouTube. First off they trolls don't know me and I make great videos. Second I'm not leaving YouTube just because a few trolls said so. I'm standing my ground for this one.
    Your videos are shot on a grainy phone camera (you also shoot in vertical, not landscape) with terrible lighting. You talk too fast and don't enunciate anything you say (combined with a terrible mic from your phone that barely picks you up unless you're inches away...and then we hear your mouth breathing) so it all comes out a garbled mess. Not to be harsh, but your videos aren't great. They're...typical spam on youtube frankly. I don't care if you keep making them because I will continue not watching them. But if you worked on any of the issues raised you'd at least be in the realm of medicore. Not great though. Never....never great.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Your videos are shot on a grainy phone camera (you also shoot in vertical, not landscape) with terrible lighting. You talk too fast and don't enunciate anything you say (combined with a terrible mic from your phone that barely picks you up unless you're inches away...and then we hear your mouth breathing) so it all comes out a garbled mess. Not to be harsh, but your videos aren't great. They're...typical spam on youtube frankly. I don't care if you keep making them because I will continue not watching them. But if you worked on any of the issues raised you'd at least be in the realm of medicore. Not great though. Never....never great.
    Thank you for your honesty. I stutter in my videos all the time. I can't help it.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I was referring to the this sentence in your thread:

"Also know that this project has no plans to leave this website in any type of coding project, or for contribution to the Order of the Stick Wiki."

The OOTS Wiki has transcripts, too, though difference from yours.
    Yeah the OOTS wiki is off the actual site, which is my biggest complaint with it. Ultimately I prefer having things be in the forum setting for forum ventures. Not to mention I'm not really a fan of their format for it. So I'm running the only on forum transcription, is what I meant.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Yeah the OOTS wiki is off the actual site, which is my biggest complaint with it. Ultimately I prefer having things be in the forum setting for forum ventures. Not to mention I'm not really a fan of their format for it. So I'm running the only on forum transcription, is what I meant.
    Ah, I see.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Colossus in the Playground

*Barges into the room at 1 AM in a daze*

The Lego Batman movie is ****ing brilliant from start to finish I didn't stop smiling one bit during the whole thing.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, I wish there was some simply handy-dandy guide for "this much is appropriate for work, but if you go past that it's inappropriate." Especially when some garments just aren't comfortable.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    You know, I wish there was some simply handy-dandy guide for "this much is appropriate for work, but if you go past that it's inappropriate." Especially when some garments just aren't comfortable.
    "Smart casual" has a lot to answer for.

Is there a XX equivalent of the term "phallic"?
    "Yonic" is the standard, I believe.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-06-25 at 07:24 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    "Smart casual" has a lot to answer for.
    Even without that, the line between "perfectly acceptable" and "too sexy" is rather difficult, particularly given that what is considered sexy/sexual isn't always obvious.

10. - Top - End - #1270

Even without that, the line between "perfectly acceptable" and "too sexy" is rather difficult, particularly given that what is considered sexy/sexual isn't always obvious.
    Trying to figure out the details is hard because okay sure fine you decide to wear a suit. Well someone's gonna find that too sexy so you have to wear suit pants, or a longer suit skirt, and eventually you end up just wearing a giant blob of clothing.

It'd be best to just ask your boss and have pictures of your clothing and just say "what is the line?"

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Trying to figure out the details is hard because okay sure fine you decide to wear a suit. Well someone's gonna find that too sexy so you have to wear suit pants, or a longer suit skirt, and eventually you end up just wearing a giant blob of clothing.

It'd be best to just ask your boss and have pictures of your clothing and just say "what is the line?"
    I guess I wouldn't really feel that was an appropriate question? Like, I feel like it's something that you're just expected to know. Especially when it comes to things like foundation garments or how tight is too tight versus how loose is sloppy. But I feel like "do I need a heavier bra", say, would be an unprofessional question to ask.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess I wouldn't really feel that was an appropriate question? Like, I feel like it's something that you're just expected to know. Especially when it comes to things like foundation garments or how tight is too tight versus how loose is sloppy. But I feel like "do I need a heavier bra", say, would be an unprofessional question to ask.
    Not really, if they're expecting you to dress in whatever manner they consider "professional" I can tell you that they'd much rather be asked than have to send you home and lose all those hours of work it would take for you to drive home and then drive back.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Not really, if they're expecting you to dress in whatever manner they consider "professional" I can tell you that they'd much rather be asked than have to send you home and lose all those hours of work it would take for you to drive home and then drive back.
    Except I think how it actually works on a lot of things is that no one actually says anything, the just kind of quietly file you away as someone who isn't quite "professional" enough and pick other people who look more "professional" for opportunities over you.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ettin in the Playground

Except I think how it actually works on a lot of things is that no one actually says anything, the just kind of quietly file you away as someone who isn't quite "professional" enough and pick other people who look more "professional" for opportunities over you.
    No, in my experience it's pretty much the opposite. If you're the type of person who asks for clarification when things are unclear, they'll be more likely to pick you for things, because they know you won't just rush and do something stupid and screw everything up.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

This is correct. Unless your outfits are way out of line and they think it's causing problems for client relationships, they'll probably never say anything (although a sympathetic senior co-worker might have a quiet word). As for asking the question pre-emptively, even if your intentions are relatively innocent, "challenging" your superiors to identify appropriate outfits would seem unprofessional, in most situations.

There's a difference between asking for clarification on something technical to do with your job, and asking for clarification on what most bosses would consider to be basic workplace etiquette. You wouldn't ask "hey, is it alright if I don't always turn up on time?" (unless there's a very good reason) or or "Is it alright if instead of working for a bit I just go online and check out a D&D forum?" These are things which you're expected to know the answer to and judge for yourself: for many bosses it's a test of your commitment and awareness as much as anything else. Is it right/fair? Debatable.

Having said that, I don't think it should be too difficult to determine what is "too sexy" or not, as generally all that's going to be considered are length of skirt and exposure of cleavage. A roughly knee-length skirt should be fine. With the bewbs, if you wear a bra and something that covers it sufficiently that there's no possibility of its being exposed, that's probably also fine. I think that's probably a good enough rule of thumb: you don't want to draw too much attention to cleavage (as that seems attention-seeking and unprofessional) but equally you shouldn't feel pressured to hide it away. A blouse is usually fine too, although there is the question of whether or not you undo any buttons. I've seen women wandering around, especially lately, with a nominally modest blouse but with so many buttons undone it leaves very little to the imagination: I'd say it's safest to leave things fastened to avoid looking too sultry.

Much will also vary from workplace to workplace, and the bosses in question. I currently work for a law firm, which you'd expect to be pretty formal. Nope! Most of the men wear something approximating a suit, but the shirt often isn't even ironed, and I'm the only person on my floor who wears a tie unless there's a client meeting. The women seem to wear pretty much whatever.

Having said that, and in the absence of any friends or family to advise, clothing salespeople are probably a good intermediary to ask about this sort of thing (not the spotty-faced cashier, but someone who actually gives the impression of knowing their way around clothes). They can at least give a general thumbs-up or thumbs-down on whether a given outfit is likely to be considered appropriate in the majority of work situations.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-06-25 at 09:08 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground

No, in my experience it's pretty much the opposite. If you're the type of person who asks for clarification when things are unclear, they'll be more likely to pick you for things, because they know you won't just rush and do something stupid and screw everything up.
    I guess my experience is that most things are acceptable to ask for clarification about, but not all things - and the more it gets towards what might be considered sexy/sexual, the less appropriate it is to ask. So "are these pants professional enough" is ok. "Is this shirt too low" is probably ok. "Is this shirt too tight" is pushing it. "Am I wearing the wrong bra" is definitely out.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess my experience is that most things are acceptable to ask for clarification about, but not all things - and the more it gets towards what might be considered sexy/sexual, the less appropriate it is to ask. So "are these pants professional enough" is ok. "Is this shirt too low" is probably ok. "Is this shirt too tight" is pushing it. "Am I wearing the wrong bra" is definitely out.
    Well you might try finding a female coworker you can trust. Or you could tell your boss, "Hey, I need some clarification on the dress code but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable talking to you about it, is there somebody I could talk to about that?"

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I wish there was some simply handy-dandy guide for "this much is appropriate...
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ...just ask your boss and have pictures of your clothing and just say "what is the line?"
    Well you might try finding a female coworker you can trust. Or you could tell your boss, "Hey, I need some clarification on the dress code but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable talking to you about it, is there somebody I could talk to about that?"

Um... don't ask your boss with pictures, if you're in the pictures because that can seem like "coming onto" (propositioning) them.

You need a mentor who is not oriented towards you.

If you are not your bosses type, great maybe you can ask them, but I'm doubtful as typical bosses don't want to be bothered.

You probably need to find someone else, maybe even at a different workplace.

Dress issues actually have even become something the ladies at my building had to ask their union for help with because of a sudden enforcement of a nebulous dress code, and it's only effected the ladies because women's fashions change more quickly, most of the guys just wearing what they've worn for decades, but even with that in mind one such rule "cover up any tattoos" has had disparate effects, as lady civilian workers have been told this but not male bailiffs, cops and deputies who still display them (come to think of it all the tattoos I've seen by people who work in my building have either been on men in uniform, or ladies in the DA's office, none.of the women in uniform, or male lawyers display any).

One of the older DA ladies (nice women, just retired) would just dress in "drag" and wear a typical male suit and tie of 30 years ago, and if anyone bothered her about it that fight was years ago.

In the last five years more of the DA ladies have moved away from dresses and towards pant suits (but those pant suits have different blouses and shoes than the men, with only one former exception), but the Public Defender ladies (a different building which I also do repairs in but not nearly as much) still mostly wear dresses.

They seldom wear "Ally McBeal" short miniskirts, but they come close especially in summer.

None of the men wear shorts unless they're going to and from the gym on the 5th floor.

I can see how this would be tricky for you WarKitty, as office wear for men is still basically the same as decades ago (just less ties), but for women it's changing, so fast that "Dress for Success" books are out of date.

Mostly you just have to be observant and imitate others on the hierarchy, and even then you have to pick the right person.

Our former DA (now Senator) Kamala Harris did not dress the same as the receptionists.

Again this is trickier for women than men as men are more likely to dress similar to each other no matter what the position is.

Aim to dress how the second highest ranking women dresses (if you become boss then you measure yourself to other bosses at other places). If your workplace is more egalitarian than imitate one if the women who has been there a long time.

Good luck.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Um... don't ask your boss with pictures, if you're in the pictures because that can seem like "coming onto" (propositioning) them.

You need a mentor who is not oriented towards you.

If you are not your bosses type, great maybe you can ask them, but I'm doubtful as typical bosses don't want to be bothered.
    I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone would think I was coming on to my boss. For reference, my boss is a 50 year old woman.

My grandboss is also female, although younger. I'd say this is about what she wears to work:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2017-06-25 at 11:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's pretty unlikely that... [/spoiler]

Are you sure?

*jestful emoji, perhaps one eye closed, and the other with a raised eyebrow?*

If you have a very collegial relationship with your boss then you may be able to just ask her if you pick the right time.

Take my advise with the big caveat that I'm not an office worker, I just see what they wear when I'm repairing the building.

Anyway, depending on who's wearing it (and how many buttons are loosened etc.) the.outfit you pictured looks safe for a low to mid status office worker, as if mostly conveys neighborly friendliness.

Higher status usually involves darker colors, and is closer to (but not completely the same) as a men's suit.

Here's pictures of the highest ranked women in my building (our former DA)
    Spoiler
    Show

(Incidentally, the DA's are usually pretty unfriendly to those of us in Engineering, but a former co-worker who's now with the water department said she was very nice when he did a side job repair at her house).

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*pokes head in*

So, uh, how're folks? I graduated from college a month ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

22. - Top - End - #1282

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    *pokes head in*

I'm doing well.

Watch my videos AT.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    *pokes head in*

Nice. I honestly can't imagine what that's like, even though I "only" have about 4 years of uni left. Best of luck on whatever endeavors you're pursuing.

I'm fairly good myself, having had better luck this time around with understanding Calculus - apparently not having your class at 8am improves your cognitive functions. Fancy that.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Should I do a Let's Read?

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    Should I do a Let's Read?

Why not?

Also, Let's Read what?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Why not?

Also, Let's Read what?
    Gravity's Rainbow?

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a burning desire to tell some people that, no matter how good a customer they are, I cannot violate the laws of physics.

I technically could violate the laws of the U.S. government, but I'm not going to.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2017-06-26 at 01:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

Last friday was dedicated to the traditional Swedish midsummer celebrations, which were the most traditional in a long time for me. A family we know invited their (wide and delightfully nerdy) circle of friends to their farm for maypole dancing, food, drink and naked sauna bathing. One of the visitors brought a 1-pounder(-ish) cannon, which they used to fire a salute, first with a bought salute charge (boom) and then a homemade charge (BOOOOM!). It was aptly named "The Neighbourliness".

ION:
    The bad part is that I must've picked up a cold during the celebrations, and it's not holding back its punches. Last night was spent in a hallucinatory daze where I got the idea that my bed was some kind of battlefield, or at least an advanced game of intrigue, between forces of good and evil, where every object (yes, including my plushies) constantly shifted allegiences and either became the one thing that prevented me from falling asleep or the crucial piece to achieving the same. It was like most of my brain was already on the doorstep to the dreamlands, but one little routine at the back of my head, just behind the vice grip headache, was refusing to wind down and managed to keep me awake through several hours of fear of going mad as the would-be-shut-down parts of my brain attempted and failed spectacularly at interpretting the sensory input reaching me. Not a good night, and going to work after that was just straight our of the question. You don't want a hallucinating employee.

Today was more stable, if still pretty bad. Despite being pretty hot, I was cold at the edge of torture, and the only remedy was crawling down under my thick down blankets and staying there until I got afraid I would overheat or dehydrate myself. Oh, and thinking feels like it's done through a channel of syrup, so if I've been rambling, that's why.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    Gravity's Rainbow?
    I first heard of that book when a passage was quoted for the reading segment of a standardized test. The name sounded so ridiculous, it stuck a bit.

Still haven't actually read it. Sure, why not?

Hm. Now I'm wondering if I should. I've got two Heinlein books I haven't read that I could use for that, and also a few ideas for books that I have read but would be interested in reading more closely. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I first heard of that book when a passage was quoted for the reading segment of a standardized test. The name sounded so ridiculous, it stuck a bit.

Still haven't actually read it. Sure, why not?
    It's a fantastic book.

The title also makes sense if you've read it.