New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: WarKitty's Feline Frenzy Random Banter #216

...huh

at a casual glance, i actually can't find anything for why Schwedenplatz is named that

I have wondered about it before but not enough to do anything
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    *waves hi to Prince Zahn*

(And, psst, you have a broken italics tag in your sig.)
    Curses! Every single time! >_<
    The whole code on that sig needs to be overhauled anyway. Blue Moon was a bust, and I can hardly call the homebrew 5e binder mine anymore anyway ^^;

Also Hi Teddy!
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2017-02-25 at 04:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    ...huh

at a casual glance, i actually can't find anything for why Schwedenplatz is named that

I have wondered about it before but not enough to do anything
    Piecing together little bits from Swedish and German Wikipedia, it was apparently renamed from Ferdinandsplatz to commemorate the humanitarian aid Sweden had lent to Vienna children during the First World War.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Curses! Every single time! >_<
    The whole code on that sig needs to be overhauled anyway. Blue Moon was a bust, and I can hardly call the homebrew 5e binder mine anymore anyway ^^;
    Tell me about it, I really should make myself a new avatar anytime this decade...

ION:
    I'm growing a beard. A beard has never been part of my self-image, quite the opposite in fact, but I've always been curious, so when given an outside justification for doing so, I set out on a nine week experiment to figure out how it fits me.

I'm currently four weeks into the experiment, and to put it short, I don't like it. At all. I think it looks too sparse, the colours don't match my hair (too dark, except around my mouth where it's almost white instead), and it stings when I cuddle my plushies.

Still, I promised myself to make it a full nine weeks, so nine weeks I'll make it. At least it protects my chin from cold winds...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2017-02-25 at 10:15 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

4. - Top - End - #574
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have -never- liked beards for some reason. From Commander Riker's to Letterman's... too much fur, not enough face.

And that's coming from the furry of the forum. Heh.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Funny, I just had a dream in which a former US President had a big bushy beard and was grinning happily.

Maybe because one of my former bosses just retired?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Good lord... Growing Beard is a strange and rather stupid trap. always was, too. most guys wonder at least once what they'll look like if they grow a beard, but many of them don't realize how itchy or prickly or uncomfortable it is until they grow it, despite loved ones and friends who might advise them otherwise.

Needless to say, I'm stuck with the beard too. For the sole reason that I'm too lazy to shave it every day. When I have the time and earn the money, I intend to get laser hair removal and get all the unnecessary hair on my face removed.

EDIT: I had a big math quiz today. The teacher didn't want to give me a grade because DNF. I feel very disappointed in myself for getting stuck on the questions I did, and that moreover for making so many stupid mistakes... It's like, by the time I figured out how to handle these questions, or realized I should go back to it later, it was too late.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2017-02-26 at 09:05 AM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Good lord... Growing Beard is a strange and rather stupid trap. always was, too. most guys wonder at least once what they'll look like if they grow a beard, but many of them don't realize how itchy or prickly or uncomfortable it is until they grow it, despite loved ones and friends who might advise them otherwise.

Needless to say, I'm stuck with the beard too. For the sole reason that I'm too lazy to shave it every day. When I have the time and earn the money, I intend to get laser hair removal and get all the unnecessary hair on my face removed.
    If there was a non-permanent long term hair removal option, I'd be quite willing to pay good for it. I would like my beard to stay gone, but at the same time, I want to stay open for the possibility that I change my mind when I grow older and my face changes appearance...

EDIT: I had a big math quiz today. The teacher didn't want to give me a grade because DNF. I feel very disappointed in myself for getting stuck on the questions I did, and that moreover for making so many stupid mistakes... It's like, by the time I figured out how to handle these questions, or realized I should go back to it later, it was too late.
    Ooof, that's rough. Did they give a reason for why finishing was required for a grade?

It does remind me of a test in computational science which I should have scored a top grade on, but instead barely passed due to just having snapped under the stress from the heavy course load, making tiny errors and taking too long correcting them...

ION:
    Spent a good hour yesterday writing up a short mail asking another person if they would be willing to talk over how they'd been acting (toward another person) on a mailing list I'm kind of a semi-moderator on, spending all that time trying to make it an invitation to discussion rather than an accusation of wrong-doing and leaving the format completely open for them to decide (up to the point of leaving the option open for them to refuse entirely. Personal energy is a premium, after all). Got a response today where they 1. made assertions about my authority, 2. demanded to know who'd asked me and who else I was talking to, and 3. possibly insinuated that they felt personally attacked by me contacting them (this was one of two possible interpretations). Typing up a response which wasn't just "How am I supposed contact you if the mere act of contacting you offends you?" was hard...

This is going to be a huge drain of energy...
    (If they continue to be uncooperative, I'll probably seek help from the other semi-moderator, or those we answer to...)

Show

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooof, that's rough. Did they give a reason for why finishing was required for a grade?

It does remind me of a test in computational science which I should have scored a top grade on, but instead barely passed due to just having snapped under the stress from the heavy course load, making tiny errors and taking too long correcting them...
    Well, from my understanding, our lecturer gave us several "failsafe" exams up until now which should supposedly nudge our grades higher if the final exam in April isn't perfect. Something to do with averages I suppose. Because of this the teacher figures that since we need an 80/100 or higher in this subject to enroll next year, anything short of 90 on these failsafes just isn't worth recording, because it could bite us in the ass otherwise.

I... Haven't been doing all that well in these exams... >_< and I feel stupid because of it.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2017-02-26 at 10:22 AM.

My Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Yesterday... Less than 24h in Madrid and I broke my mobile phone by dropping it on the hostel floor. Completely sober. I hope my travel insurance covers it... If not, it'll be 'stolen'

Spanish Paladin was excellent company last night! 10000/10 would do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

10. - Top - End - #580
    Colossus in the Playground

Yesterday... Less than 24h in Madrid and I broke my mobile phone by dropping it on the hostel floor. Completely sober. I hope my travel insurance covers it... If not, it'll be 'stolen'

Sounds like you had a good time...aside from dropping your phone!

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Well, from my understanding, our lecturer gave us several "failsafe" exams up until now which should supposedly nudge our grades higher if the final exam in April isn't perfect. Something to do with averages I suppose. Because of this the teacher figures that since we need an 80/100 or higher in this subject to enroll next year, anything short of 90 on these failsafes just isn't worth recording, because it could bite us in the ass otherwise.

I... Haven't been doing all that well in these exams... >_< and I feel stupid because of it.
    No outside reasons you can blame to appease yourself?

Well, I'm pretty sure most dropped mobile phones happen when their owners are sober. Statistics kinda force it to be that way, and it's not like being uninebriated grants super powers anyway.

Good luck, though!

Meeting up other Playgrounders and hanging out is an excellent idea. Can recommend.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2017-02-26 at 03:58 PM.

Show

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, good, you aren't still trapped in the escape room.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

....24h in Madrid....

.....Spanish Paladin was excellent company last night! 10000/10 would do it again.

MadrId? Spain?! So very jealous...

Congrats!

....and it's not like being uninebriated grants super powers anyway.

It doesn't?

OK... while that explains a whole lot, it's still very disheartening to learn.

EDIT: I totally misread "uninebriated" as "inebriated", and I already knew sobriety doesn't grant super-powers.

I think I need a drink now!
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2017-02-26 at 07:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It was fun!!, the lady of the Finns is awesome (and her friend too). They bring some samialkki and made me happy .

Meeting up other Playgrounders and hanging out is an excellent idea. Can recommend.
    I agree with that 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Oh, good, you aren't still trapped in the escape room.
    We didn´t made it .... a little part of us will be forever trapped in that room

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    It was fun!!, the lady of the Finns is awesome (and her friend too). They bring some samialkki and made me happy .
    Nice! I'm glad you two had a great time last night and Finn I hope the rest of your trip comes out great! better a broken phone than a broken bone, y'know?

No outside reasons you can blame to appease yourself?
    I can blame my teachers, but when you're getting sub-par grades in 3/4 subjects that claim-to-blame becomes that much less likely. :/

My Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

I can blame my teachers, but when you're getting sub-par grades in 3/4 subjects that claim-to-blame becomes that much less likely. :/
    Meh, that depends. How far into your education are you?

ION:
    We had a conference/activity day with my section yesterday. I started strong by almost throwing up at the pretty disgusting mess left outside the door to our corridor by someone overnight, and it only went better when I, having to switch busses halfway to the mansion housing this, accidently jump on the wrong bus and head back the same direction I came. I noticed my mistake within one stop, so I didn't get that far off track (even though it was a country road), but because all of this happened thanks to the correct bus being late (and having almost the same number), I didn't make it back to the correct road before it ran by.

These busses don't run particularly often. Once half an hour, to be precise, which wouldn't be that much of a problem if I didn't have a taxi waiting for me to clear the final distance, and a coworker waiting to accompany me on that taxi. Oh, and I was the contact person for the taxi driver, and I later learned he'd gotten a digit wrong in my phone number, so he couldn't call me.

So, faced with way too much time to spend on contemplating how my mistake would complicate other people's days, I decided I would be at shame if I didn't at least try to do something proactive about it. So I decided to hitchhike.

I've never hitchhiked. In fact, I don't think I know of anyone who has hitchhiked in Sweden outside of television (although I may recollect having seen a hitchhiker by the roadside, hmm), so I had no idea of how it would go or what would happen, especially since this was a somewhat sparsely trafficked road even at rush hour, but I turned to the passing cars and waved my thumb in the universally recognised hitchhiker sign. Although calling it "cars" is almost stretching it, as it turns out I've severely underestimated people's kindness on the road (or my own luck), because already the second car stopped to pick me up. The driver said he wasn't going all the way I was heading, but it'd be way closer, so I was happy to take it, figuring I'd try my luck again when I had to.

We talked a bit about nothing in particular as I cherished all the kilometers I wouldn't have to walk, but eventually we came upon the crossing where out paths diverged, and I had to thank him and get out. I started walking along the side of the road, which wasn't offering as much space any longer, and got breezed by by the first car, but barely got another 100 metres before the next stopped to pick me up. My luck really held fast, because this driver was heading all the way to the bus and train station I was heading for, and half the reason she wasn't taking the bus herself was because her teenage son had rejected the idea of travelling on the same bus as her so thoroughly it was unnegotiable.

In the end, I only arrived to the bus station 5 minutes late, rendezvoused with my coworker and found our taxi, and we even arrived on time at the mansion. My other coworkers were quite incredulous, and quite amazed. Personally, I'm happy to be able to put yet another experience no one else has experienced on my list of life experiences (conveniently empty of all that stuff people take for granted you've done by now).

The rest of the day had stuff happening too, but that's not as interesting in comparison.

Show

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

Met up with Spanish Paladin twice during the trip, 10000000000000/10 would do it again, like I said last time!

Back in Finland. The way back home wasn't too easy, but yeah. I'm alive...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

18. - Top - End - #588
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It was awesome , i hope i can give back the visit soon, l´d love to know Finland!!

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're upset that the Salhir exists, then Crimea river!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, that depends. How far into your education are you?
    I'm not yet into Studying for my B. A, I'm just taking these courses so I can enroll in this college. There's one month left, and then it's the final exams.

Speaking of which, I had a big exam on Wednesday. I doubt I did well, but at least I completed the test this time. I should, ideally, get my grade for it today.

ION:
    We had a conference/activity day with my section yesterday. I started strong by almost throwing up at the pretty disgusting mess left outside the door to our corridor by someone overnight, and it only went better when I, having to switch busses halfway to the mansion housing this, accidently jump on the wrong bus and head back the same direction I came. I noticed my mistake within one stop, so I didn't get that far off track (even though it was a country road), but because all of this happened thanks to the correct bus being late (and having almost the same number), I didn't make it back to the correct road before it ran by.

These busses don't run particularly often. Once half an hour, to be precise, which wouldn't be that much of a problem if I didn't have a taxi waiting for me to clear the final distance, and a coworker waiting to accompany me on that taxi. Oh, and I was the contact person for the taxi driver, and I later learned he'd gotten a digit wrong in my phone number, so he couldn't call me.

So, faced with way too much time to spend on contemplating how my mistake would complicate other people's days, I decided I would be at shame if I didn't at least try to do something proactive about it. So I decided to hitchhike.

I've never hitchhiked. In fact, I don't think I know of anyone who has hitchhiked in Sweden outside of television (although I may recollect having seen a hitchhiker by the roadside, hmm), so I had no idea of how it would go or what would happen, especially since this was a somewhat sparsely trafficked road even at rush hour, but I turned to the passing cars and waved my thumb in the universally recognised hitchhiker sign. Although calling it "cars" is almost stretching it, as it turns out I've severely underestimated people's kindness on the road (or my own luck), because already the second car stopped to pick me up. The driver said he wasn't going all the way I was heading, but it'd be way closer, so I was happy to take it, figuring I'd try my luck again when I had to.

We talked a bit about nothing in particular as I cherished all the kilometers I wouldn't have to walk, but eventually we came upon the crossing where out paths diverged, and I had to thank him and get out. I started walking along the side of the road, which wasn't offering as much space any longer, and got breezed by by the first car, but barely got another 100 metres before the next stopped to pick me up. My luck really held fast, because this driver was heading all the way to the bus and train station I was heading for, and half the reason she wasn't taking the bus herself was because her teenage son had rejected the idea of travelling on the same bus as her so thoroughly it was unnegotiable.

In the end, I only arrived to the bus station 5 minutes late, rendezvoused with my coworker and found our taxi, and we even arrived on time at the mansion. My other coworkers were quite incredulous, and quite amazed. Personally, I'm happy to be able to put yet another experience no one else has experienced on my list of life experiences (conveniently empty of all that stuff people take for granted you've done by now).

The rest of the day had stuff happening too, but that's not as interesting in comparison.
    holy cow... That's one heck of a story there are some incredible people out there in Sweden, no doubt. I'd imagine that's the good that happens when you take your life into your own hands

Met up with Spanish Paladin twice during the trip, 10000000000000/10 would do it again, like I said last time!

Back in Finland. The way back home wasn't too easy, but yeah. I'm alive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    It was awesome , i hope i can give back the visit soon, l´d love to know Finland!!
    it's great to hear it was an amazing trip for you both here's to many more like it! *raises glass*

ION - my grandfather, who is legally blind, is struggling to use a tablet, even though all he wants to do is to listen to Audio books. I'm pretty psyched that my brother found a device online that should make that much easier for him (I think it's called an echo dot) that my grandfather would only have to talk to if he wants to read. It seems so awesome that we want one for our house too we just have to get it here somehow, which we'll figure out.

My Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #591

Don'tcha hate it when you spend 5 hours prepping for an 8 player D&D game... and only three show up?

(although to be fair three said they'd be out and another two got pulled at the absolute last second because people don't know what's good for them and won't leave my players the hell alone on saturdays...)

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: WarKitty's Feline Frenzy Random Banter #216

I'm writing a paper and am trying to get some public-opinion data. Would anyone mind answering these polls and sharing them around? Here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'm writing a paper and am trying to get some public-opinion data. Would anyone mind answering these polls and sharing them around? Here.
    I don't have a twitter to respond there, but I can answer your questions here -

1) Money is usually a tertiary motivator for me to make things. I mostly make things because I have some idea I want to share (and because entertaining people is fun); getting paid for it is nice, but not necessary in the slightest.

2) That said, I definitely think those who do want to profit from their ideas should be able to do that for the rest of their lives. I don't believe in passing copyright ownership down to heirs, though - when you die, your work should become public domain. There is, of course, the issue where someone else has bought the rights to your idea - record companies being the best example here - if you die prematurely, then they've potentially wasted a lot of money buying the rights to music that's free to the public. Buying royalty rights is enough of a gamble as it is - if you could lose that investment because a pop star died young (which happens all the time), far fewer people would invest in that kind of artwork. There probably should be some minimum time to allow people or companies that want to make that kind of investment the chance to turn a profit. I don't have a great solution, but 40 years or until you die - whichever is longer - seems like it fits fairly well.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2017-03-06 at 02:56 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    I don't have a twitter to respond there, but I can answer your questions here -

1) Money is usually a tertiary motivator for me to make things. I mostly make things because I have some idea I want to share (and because entertaining people is fun); getting paid for it is nice, but not necessary in the slightest.

2) That said, I definitely think those who do want to profit from their ideas should be able to do that for the rest of their lives. I don't believe in passing copyright ownership down to heirs, though - when you die, your work should become public domain. There is, of course, the issue where someone else has bought the rights to your idea - record companies being the best example here - if you die prematurely, then they've potentially wasted a lot of money buying the rights to music that's free to the public. Buying royalty rights is enough of a gamble as it is - if you could lose that investment because a pop start died young (which happens all the time), far fewer people would invest in that kind of artwork. There probably should be some minimum time to allow people or companies that want to make that kind of investment the chance to turn a profit. I don't have a great solution, but 40 years or until you die - whichever is longer - seems like it fits fairly well.
    Thanks for your response. Do you mind if I potentially quote you in the resulting paper? Nothing of great significance, it's a (very open-ended) class assignment that I doubt will be published anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Thanks for your response. Do you mind if I potentially quote you in the resulting paper? Nothing of great significance, it's a (very open-ended) class assignment that I doubt will be published anywhere.
    Sure, if you want to. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of results you get - the public opinion take (especially on the internet) jumps around a lot on content creators and ownership of ideas.
    A few odds and ends.

26. - Top - End - #596

Eeeesh. Grubhub takeout Chinese food is expensive. $7 delivery fee, $9ish each for some shrimp fried rice and shrimp lo mein...

Not doin' that again.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

*comes out of the shadows he's been lurking in for a year or two*

So how is everyone? Long time no see! Wonder how many familiar faces are still around..

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Ouch. That's quite painful. I don't know why people like lurking within me.

(And hello.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

So how is everyone? Long time no see! Wonder how many familiar faces are still around..
    HEYYYY! I remember you! What's up?
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, I remember you! How's it going?

Been kinda busy, myself. Still in college, enjoying all the wonders of working in our embedded systems lab and not sleeping, like a good student. I'm not around as much as I used to be, but I pop in here from time to time when there's something for me to comment on.
    A few odds and ends.