New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: WarKitty's Feline Frenzy Random Banter #216

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Something tells me that it has a companion course called "Dying with Volcanoes".

One day you'll be able to stop overworking yourself. Then you can just do whatever.

I...only ever so slightly remember that.

That'd be fun! If creepy, potentially? I don't know. Point is, hanging out is a fun thing to do.
    The professor actually did make that joke in lecture last week.

Eh, probably not. This is my whatever.

WELL THEN I MAY HAVE TO TALK ABOUT MUSICALS OH NO

Mm.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    The professor actually did make that joke in lecture last week.

Eh, probably not. This is my whatever.

WELL THEN I MAY HAVE TO TALK ABOUT MUSICALS OH NO

Mm.
    Oh no, my joke has been sniped!

If you say so.

Oh no talking about musicals, how awful of me to have caused this. It must be so torturous for you

3. - Top - End - #63

Oh no, my joke has been sniped!

If you say so.

Oh no talking about musicals, how awful of me to have caused this. It must be so torturous for you
    Well, while we're on the subject, I think Allegiance was an important work, although as a musical it felt relatively weak. Then again, that might have been because I was watching a broadcast, which took a while to figure out how to do its own camerawork. Some justice might not have been done to the songs in that respect.

To a certain extent, it felt like there was a struggle in balancing the musical as a story of a character, and as a (very rightful) bollocking of the US- not that it went too far in one way and not the other, but that it would go too far in one way, and then too far in the other, making the piece as a whole feel less coherent. It felt a bit like two plays. One thing that ties into this is that the plot, which was more of a romantic tragedy than anything else, as opposed to the larger-scale discussion of the inhumanities of this episode of history, was a shade predictable, and I could usually see how things were going to go well in advance.

However, I'm hesitant to critique this play on such a basis because I recognize that its importance lies in particular in that larger illustration of what happened in the Japanese internment camps. Just as someone who lives an hour from the island where the first deportation happened, this feels personal, and I will embrace any work that intends to dispel the white-washing that this part of US history has received. My biggest argument might be that, as part of the storytelling aspect of the play, they were too eager to ignore the larger implications of the rest of the work when it served their story, but I might be expecting a Brechtian takedown of society when I came to see a Broadway musical, which is more my problem than the play's.

Ultimately, this song should chill everyone and I love it.

Also, George Takei said 'ohhh myyy' in the intro and it was everything.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2016-12-14 at 02:53 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Why do people assume that when I talk about something that means I want that something to continue/reoccur?

I'm being deliberately obtuse here because I don't, though it may very well happen anyway.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

ION: A Sheep may be coming to visit in one week. And it'll even stay for Christmas!
    Will this mean more wackydorable antics ensue?

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Fell on cold, icy tarmac with my bike today. The left side of my body is reeeally starting to feel things, I have huge bruises forming on both my thigh and elbow (which also has a large bump). Gladly I had my helmet on, hitting my head on the road was really close and had I hit my head I'd probably not be here writing this stuff right now...
    Ouch! No blood drawn though, I hope?

Did you also get this rainfall we got yesterday. It turned from lovely winter to downpour over the day, continued well into the evening, and then it flipped back to winter mode and everything froze again. Getting to work was an... interesting experience. I could see the sand, but there was no traction whatsoever, because there was a perfectly skating ice on top. And to really spice things up, I'd woken up with the sore eye from hell and was running late to my train due to having spent a quarter of my morning crying in pain. I thankfully made it in the nick of time, but I was really afraid I'd end up like you did instead...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    He wants to be taken everywhere you were. That is exactly what he requested.

It might a bit hard to have him be at my dad's birthday party, given that that happens exclusively in the summer...
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Well, while we're on the subject,
    That's pretty indepth! Sounds like a really interesting thing to watch.

It might a bit hard to have him be at my dad's birthday party, given that that happens exclusively in the summer...
    I mean the obvious solution is to throw a random party for no reason.

Also, hey guess who has two thumbs and just dumped a box of used deep fryer oil on herself at the end of her work ****. THIS GIRL *points thumbs at self*

Typoed shift as **** and genuinely don't feel I should change it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-12-15 at 12:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Also, hey guess who has two thumbs and just dumped a box of used deep fryer oil on herself at the end of her work ****. THIS GIRL *points thumbs at self*
    Oh dear. I really hope that it wasn't hot. (Seeing as how you're typing this now, I'm crossing my fingers that that's a no.) I've had minor splashes of hot deep fryer oil on me, but I can't imagine a box...

Even a box of non-boiling oil wouldn't be something I would wish on anyone. Hopefully it all cleaned up okay?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Oh dear. I really hope that it wasn't hot. (Seeing as how you're typing this now, I'm crossing my fingers that that's a no.) I've had minor splashes of hot deep fryer oil on me, but I can't imagine a box...

Even a box of non-boiling oil wouldn't be something I would wish on anyone. Hopefully it all cleaned up okay?
    It was warm enough to be very irritating, let alone the fact that dirty grimy greasy deep fryer filtered gunk oil covered half my ****ing body. Soaked clean through and probably ruined my bra. Very annoyed.

Glad I'm not BURNT TO DEATH mind you, so that's an advantage.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

It was warm enough to be very irritating, let alone the fact that dirty grimy greasy deep fryer filtered gunk oil covered half my ****ing body. Soaked clean through and probably ruined my bra. Very annoyed.

Glad I'm not BURNT TO DEATH mind you, so that's an advantage.
    Ah, yuck. I'm hoping that you were able to shower fairly quickly, and clean up, because that just sounds really nasty. But, yes, not being Burnt to Death is good. We'd miss you around here.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Greetings fellow banterers (Banterians? Banterpeople?)

Thanks, indirectly, to our own wonderful zodi, I have returned from my, entirely unintentional, self-exile from this fine forum

Spoiler: things you missed out on
    Show
    Obviously, I've been missing from the forums for quite a while, no real reason why, I just sorta stopped visiting this part of the internet for unknown reasons

Since I stopped coming around to the forum, a couple things have happened: I finished Tafe (via failing), joined Australia's unemployed non-student youth, bought a smart phone, and had my laptop die on me

So nothing super exciting, unfortunately. Though I have missed everyone here, so I'm glad to be back

With all of that said, how has everyone been?
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Finally done exams like
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

HA!

Got an early wand of wishing this playthrough and got myself a gray dragon scale mail. Suck on my magic resistance, gnome with a wand of magic missile!
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    HA!

Got an early wand of wishing this playthrough and got myself a gray dragon scale mail. Suck on my magic resistance, gnome with a wand of magic missile!
    NetHack?

I was having an insanely good run on my last game, and then there was an incident involving a bag of holding and a wand of cancellation and I sort of lost the heart to continue...more than a year ago.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

NetHack?

I was having an insanely good run on my last game, and then there was an incident involving a bag of holding and a wand of cancellation and I sort of lost the heart to continue...more than a year ago.
    Nethack, yes. Whoever was doing our work game blocker forgot to block the nethack server. Debating what to do with the rest of my wishes (I have 3 left after I wish for Magicbane).

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Nethack, yes. Whoever was doing our work game blocker forgot to block the nethack server. Debating what to do with the rest of my wishes (I have 3 left after I wish for Magicbane).
    Hmm. How deep into the game are you? You could wish for an amulet of reflection since you opted for grey over silver. Or a ring of slow digestion? It's hardly glamorous, but y'know.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. How deep into the game are you? You could wish for an amulet of reflection since you opted for grey over silver. Or a ring of slow digestion? It's hardly glamorous, but y'know.
    I'm probably going to wait a bit - I really want a shield of reflection (I'm playing a rogue, which loses damage by going two-weapon), but there's a good chance of one on Medusa level. I also haven't finished Sokoban yet; if I find an amulet there I'll want a bag of holding most likely. Probably an amulet of lifesaving too, because nethack.

19. - Top - End - #79

Bag of holding is crucial if you don't get one in Sokoban, so yeah, hold out for that. And you can always use a magic marker.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

Amulet of Life Saving is usually my first choice, just because. Then of course reflection or holding, depending on how the run has been thus far.

I wish I had the patience to learn to code. I'd design a game that'd bring DCSS to its knees...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So, for the last couple months, I've been growing a chilli plant. Just recently, it has started growing some fruit (just two, no larger than an inch)

It's nice to see something that you put effort into grow like that, and I can't wait for them to fully ripen

On a related note, does anyone have experience growing chilli peppers (and other similar plants), and, does anyone think It's worth it to start a "green thumbs in the playground" thread, to discuss about plants and such (i'm tempted to make one, but I'm not sure if people would be interested)
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

22. - Top - End - #82

Exclamation Re: WarKitty's Feline Frenzy Random Banter #216

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Bag of holding is crucial if you don't get one in Sokoban, so yeah, hold out for that. And you can always use a magic marker.
    BLUE????

I you what huh back how when what huh?
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

BLUE????

Blue's still around he just hides in the shadows. Been trying to get him to post more (like in my LP threads ).

I think he may of sensed you where online and came to say hi, but got distracted by Nethack.

24. - Top - End - #84

BLUE????

I've been here all along. Just don't post as much anymore. Perhaps I'll come visit here more in the future.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

25. - Top - End - #85

Blue's still around he just hides in the shadows. Been trying to get him to post more (like in my LP threads ).
    It inevitably happens to most veterans of this forum. I lurk here much more than I post. No amount of desert boredom will get me to actually write things.

Speaking of the desert, we had a dust storm followed by torrential rain yesterday. This place is madness.

Oh, and hello Blue.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2016-12-17 at 03:56 PM.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Implying I have every engaged in anything wackydorable. All I do is serious, stoic, and the opposite of anything-dorable.

Edit: I have realized my avatar is still in fact, the ultra serious portrait you did for me. This does not belabour my point, it only adds to my credibility as a sombre, stable figure.

I am here to confirm this was my request. I requested it in all caps, in fact.

Well, I guess I'll just have to stick around until summer. I'm suited for winter survivability, so I can manage it.

Also. Hai banters. Hi Blue. Hi Somen. Hi hai hi.

Primus Dragonsteak, I, rather evidently, missed the explanation for you being in desert dressed like a salad. Why are you in a desert dressed like a salad?
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2016-12-17 at 04:28 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Primus Dragonsteak, I, rather evidently, missed the explanation for you being in desert dressed like a salad. Why are you in a desert dressed like a salad?
    Ah yes, I suppose you may have missed the whole thing where I'm a marine now. I'm currently stationed at a base in the middle of the desert. For reasons that are mysterious, the Corps has decided that everyone everyone (except those on deployment) will wear woodland camo on a day to day basis. Before this, it depended mostly on where you were stationed. West coast marines wore desert in the summer, woodland in the winter (it's actually warmer). East coast wore woodland all year round. Here in the desert we wear desert camo all year round. But now that's changed, because apparently this blends in better with sand than this. I get that we're almost certainly never going to be attacked here in the US, but it still feels silly to be wearing green in a desert, especially when we all own desert uniforms anyways. Oh well.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    It inevitably happens to most veterans of this forum. I lurk here much more than I post. No amount of desert boredom will get me to actually write things.
    Ayup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Implying I have every engaged in anything wackydorable. All I do is serious, stoic, and the opposite of anything-dorable.

Edit: I have realized my avatar is still in fact, the ultra serious portrait you did for me. This does not belabour my point, it only adds to my credibility as a sombre, stable figure.

I am here to confirm this was my request. I requested it in all caps, in fact.

Well, I guess I'll just have to stick around until summer. I'm suited for winter survivability, so I can manage it.
    Sombre, stable, and can't use the word belabour correctly in a sentence.

Sweetie, you're built like a noodle, the cold will go right through you. You are not designed for surviving winters.

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    Ah yes, I suppose you may have missed the whole thing where I'm a marine now.
    I think I did too...
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

*baits chat with yarn balls*

So I work as a call center operator for a limo company, right? So the weather's a mess up half the east coast. First off half my coworkers called off. Second the weather is making half of our drivers late, which means pissed off customers calling in all day. Currently I'm dealing with a case where the van is 25min late and not answering his bleeping phone to tell us where he is. Bleh.

30. - Top - End - #90

I think I did too...
    Oorah Mooncat.

edit: Or if you're the less enthusiastic: me when it's three AM, and there is no end in sight to my shift.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2016-12-17 at 06:05 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas