New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Creature] It's not just a monster, it's EVERY monster. (now with image)

I'm submitting this monster for the Monster in the Playground compendium contest. Please give an MitP Vote YES or NO. I am a bit concerned that it may be a violation of copyrighted material, as it has ingredients from numerous iconic D&D creatures, but I think that's up to Fax_Celestis or a team of lawyers to determine. As always, regardless of how you vote, I would like any kind of feedback or suggestions on how to tweak it or make it better. Or just tell me how perfect it is and how handsome I am if you can't think of any changes.

Nemesis Paragon

Huge Aberration
    Hit Dice: 20d8+140 (230 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 40 ft, fly 80 ft (clumsy)
    Armor Class: 28 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +10 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 28
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+32
    Attack: Eye rays +15 ranged touch, Claw +22 melee (1d8+9)
    OR eye rays +15 ranged touch, 6 tail spikes +16 ranged (2d6+4 plus poison/19-20 x2)
    Full attack: Eye rays +15 ranged touch, 4 claws +22 melee (1d8+9), bite +20 melee (2d6+4), tail +20 melee (2d6+4 plus poison)
    OR eye rays +15 ranged touch, 6 tail spikes +16 ranged (2d6+4 plus poison/19-20 x2)
    Space/Reach: 15ft/15ft
    Special Attacks: Breath weapon, eye rays, destructive impulse, paralysis, rend, tail spikes
    Special Qualities: All-around vision, damage reduction 15/magic, darkvision 60 ft, fast healing 5, frightful presence, immunity to acid, resistance to fire, cold, and electricity 10, scent, spell resistance 25, stubborn
    Saves: Fort +15, Ref +10, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 18, Con 25, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Skills: Climb +14, Jump +14, Listen +10, Spot +10
    Feats: Ability Focus (breath weapon). Combat Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (tail spikes), Multiattack, Snatch, Weapon Focus (tail spikes)
    Environment: Any land and underground
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 15
    Treasure: none
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 21-29 HD (Huge), 30-38 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: -

In the dimly lit darkness you can see a towering creature that combines the worst features of the nightmares of countless adventurers and dungeon delvers. Powerfully muscled with patches of oily black scales gleaming beneath its thick gray fur, it stands over two stories tall. It has four enormous, clawed arms that are reminiscent of both a bear’s and a gorilla’s, and a pair of huge, leathery wings spreads from the beast’s shoulders. Though it appears to be bipedal, it lumbers anxiously about on the knuckles of its lower arms as a long, spike-lined tail thrashes behind it. Its head, too, is a composite of various incongruous beasts, bull-like in shape with long, metallic horns, but covered in chitinous armor and lacking any external eyes. A pair of large, serrated mandibles arcs from the corners of its toothy maw, and a fringe of six disgusting, slimy tentacles writhes along the creature’s lower jaw as it swings its head blindly back and forth. Most disturbing of all, however, are the eight serpentine stalks rising from the abomination’s broad shoulders, each one topped with a glowing, slitted eye and moving in a different direction to scan the entirety of the room at once.

The nemesis paragon is a composite of all the most terrible creatures a group of adventurers could expect to encounter on a trek through a dungeon, marsh, or other dangerous locale. They are most certainly the creation of an evil wizard who was either destroyed by his uncontrollable creation or has decided not to take credit for unleashing such an abomination on the world.

A nemesis paragon has the body of an oversize girallon, the tail of a manticore, the head of a gorgon (whose eyes have been removed for some unknown reason) with a carrion crawler’s mouth, eight beholder eyestalks growing from its shoulders, and the wings and scales of a black dragon. It is possible that varieties of nemesis paragons exist with the wings and scales of other chromatic dragons, along with the appropriate energy immunities.

With intelligence that is little better than an animal’s, one might expect a nemesis paragon to operate based on simple needs such as eating, sleeping, and survival. However, they seem to have an instinctive urge to destroy, be it living things or property. They can be managed through more powerful charm or domination spells, but their incredible stupidity coupled with their stubborn desire to demolish everything around them makes this a dangerous prospect at best. As a result, nemesis paragons are most commonly encounters as living traps in dungeons or wizards’ lairs, frozen in stasis until intruders fulfill the conditions to awaken them.

A nemesis paragon stands about 18 feet tall on its hind legs, and weighs about 7,500 pounds. They are too stupid to speak or understand any languages.

Combat

Although possessing a dizzying array of special attacks and defenses, a nemesis paragon is too frustratingly stupid to utilize them in any sort of tactically sensible fashion. Though they understand what their myriad abilities can do, their only strategy is to use these abilities to destroy whatever is hurting them as quickly as possible before moving on to more passive targets.

Breath Weapon (Su) – Like a gorgon, the nemesis paragon is able to breathe a 60-foot cone of noxious green gas once every 1d4 rounds, up to a maximum of 5 times per day. Any creature caught in the cone must make a DC 29 Fortitude save or be turned to stone permanently. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Eye Rays (Su) – A nemesis paragon’s eight eye rays are obviously copied from those of the notorious beholders. The two charm eyes have been removed, most likely because the creature would not be intelligent enough to refrain from attacking the creatures it has charmed and thus ending the effect. Since nemesis paragons act on instinct like common animals, they only fire their eye rays at moving targets that they perceive as threats (essentially any moving target), rather than using them strategically as a beholder would.
    Each eye can produce a single ray once per round as a free action. During a single round, a nemesis paragon can aim only four eye rays at targets in any one 90-degree arc. Because of the creature’s great wings, the other four eye rays must be aimed at targets within a 90-degree arc pointing in the exact opposite direction of the first. The eyes are on very flexible stalks, so a nemesis paragon can turn them in different directions to choose which rays it can bring to bear in either arc.
    Each ray resembles a spell cast by a 14th level caster and has a save DC of 23. The save DC is Constitution-based. Each eye ray works exactly like the spell of the same name except it targets only a single creature. Any other exceptions to the effects will be noted. The eye rays and their saves are as follows:
    Disintegrate: Fortitude save negates. On a successful save, the target does not take damage as with the spell. The nemesis paragon will usually direct this ray or the finger of death ray on whichever target seems to be dealing the most damage to it.
    Fear: Will save negates.
    Finger of Death: Fortitude save for 3d6+13 points of damage instead of instant death. The nemesis paragon will usually direct this ray or the disintegrate ray on whichever target seems to be dealing the most damage to it.
    Flesh to Stone: Fortitude save negates.
    Inflict Moderate Wounds: Deals 2d8+10 points of damage, Will save for half.
    Sleep: Will save negates. Unlike the spell, affects creatures with any number of Hit Dice.
    Slow: Will save negates.
    Telekinesis: Will negates. This allows a nemesis paragon to move objects or creatures that weigh up to 325 pounds 20 feet in any direction per round.
    Frightful Presence (Ex) – Owing to its draconic qualities, a nemesis paragon unsettles foes with its mere presence. This ability takes effect automatically whenever the nemesis paragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within a radius of 110 feet are subject to this effect if they have fewer HD than the Nemesis Paragon.
    A potentially effected creature that succeeds on a DC 23 Will save are immune to that nemesis paragon’s frightful presence for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Nemesis paragons ignore the frightful presence of dragons or other nemesis paragons (in the unlikely event that two of them ever encounter each other).
    Destructive Impulse (Ex) – Whenever a creature is turned to stone by either the nemesis paragon’s breath weapon or flesh to stone eye ray, if the petrified creature is in a square that the nemesis paragon threatens it immediately gets a free claw attack against the petrified creature. This attack ignores hardness and deals triple damage.
    Paralysis (Ex) – A nemesis paragon’s toothy jaws are fringed with 6 writhing tentacles, derived from those of the carrion crawler, each one slick with a paralytic slime. On a successful bite attack, the creature bitten is automatically hit by 1d6 tentacles and must make a separate DC 27 Fortitude save for each tentacle. If any or all of the saves is failed, the creature is paralyzed for the next 2d4 rounds. The DC save is Constitution-based.
    Poison (Ex) – Injury, Fortitude DC 27, initial damage 1d6 Dex, secondary damage 2d6 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Rend (Ex) – If a nemesis paragon hits with two or more claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d8+18 points of damage.
    Tail Spikes (Ex) – With a snap of its manticore-like tail, a nemesis paragon can sling a volley of six spikes as a standard action. This attack has a range of 180 feet with no range increment. All targets must be within 30 feet of each other. A nemesis paragon can fire no more than 48 spikes in a single 24-hour period of time.
    In addition, the tail has a set of overactive glands at the root of the spikes, which constantly slathers the spikes in a poison derived from Ettercap venom. Each spike contains minute grooves along its length, which both aid in the spikes’ flight and guarantee enough poison sticks to the spikes to deliver it effectively to their targets.
    All-Around Vision (Ex) – The nemesis paragon’s many flexible eye stalks make it exceptionally alert. Its many eyes give it a +4 racial bonus to spot and search checks. Unlike the beholders from which theses eyes are derived, however, a nemesis paragon is still susceptible to flanking, as the blind spots provided by its wings makes it comparatively easy to outmaneuver.
    Stubborn (Ex) – The nemesis paragon who is under a charm, dominate, or similar mind-controlling spell or effect may make a new save every round to cancel the effect.
    Last edited by TheEscapist; 2007-07-20 at 06:38 PM. Reason: MitP II contest ended.
    "Playing D&D is a lot like having a venereal disease. Whenever I date a girl, there's always going to be that point in our relationship where I have to be up front and tell her that I play Dungeons & Dragons. And that will definitely have a lasting impact on how/if our relationship progresses."

My Homebrewed Creations:
    The Eight Brothers, Herald of the End, Mherephess, Battle Master, Nemesis Paragon, Scholar's Blade, Weapons of the Big Folk

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [MitP] It's not just a monster, it's EVERY monster.

Quintessential "A wizard did it"...
    Annoyingly large number of dice to be rolling for full attacks though...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think somebody needs to draw a picture for this for that thread in the Arts and Crafts section. I want to see how it will look

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think that this thing is better than a challenge rating 14. I'd raise it a little, maybe 15 or 16.
    Last edited by DragonTounge; 2007-07-16 at 11:39 AM.
    Unofficial flash light of the
    My homebrew monsters: Reef Golem, Blood Burning Crab, Blood Burning Swarm, Spreader, Demonic Spirit
    Bringer of doom to all thing furry and small

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

What a coincidence, I happened to have one lying around...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Dagger View Post
    I think somebody needs to draw a picture for this for that thread in the Arts and Crafts section. I want to see how it will look
    And I have adjusted the CR, as suggested.
    "Playing D&D is a lot like having a venereal disease. Whenever I date a girl, there's always going to be that point in our relationship where I have to be up front and tell her that I play Dungeons & Dragons. And that will definitely have a lasting impact on how/if our relationship progresses."

My Homebrewed Creations:
    The Eight Brothers, Herald of the End, Mherephess, Battle Master, Nemesis Paragon, Scholar's Blade, Weapons of the Big Folk

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [MitP] It's not just a monster, it's EVERY monster. (now with image)

MitP Vote: Yes!!!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [MitP] It's not just a monster, it's EVERY monster. (now with image)

Well.

That's excessive. And quite impressive.

I'm not sure on the copyright issue, nor am I sure of my vote. It gets a pretty ridiculous count of attacks for it's full attack. I need to read through the special abilities.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mitp vote: Yes

Why neutral and not evil? Seems like a lot of the creature comes from evil monsters rather than animals.

I very much like stubborn, is that yours or from somewhere else?
    Recent Ancient Attempts at homebrewing :

Daoist(Prc), Kinderhorror (MitP:8-0), Gribble(MitP: 11-1), Shardfiend(MitP:8-0), Sun Tyrant(MitP:6-0), Sunworshiper(MitP: 3-0),Spidaren (MitP: 7-0), Movie Themed Feats

Any & all advice and opinions, and votes, are welcome

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Well.

That's excessive. And quite impressive.

I'm not sure on the copyright issue, nor am I sure of my vote. It gets a pretty ridiculous count of attacks for it's full attack. I need to read through the special abilities.
    Yeah, the number of physical attacks is completely ridiculous. I was just copying down the physical attacks from each of the original monsters and didn't really stop to think how annoyed a gaming group would get waiting for all of those attacks to resolve.

So, I think I'm going to eliminate the wing attacks, since wing slaps aren't terribly popular methods of hurting other creatures. I'll also get rid of the gore attack, since it doesn't make sense that a creature can bite and headbutt effectively in the save 6-second interval, especially with all those other attacks. I don't know how the tarrasque does it...

Quote Originally Posted by Poppatomus View Post
    Mitp vote: Yes

Why neutral and not evil? Seems like a lot of the creature comes from evil monsters rather than animals.

I very much like stubborn, is that yours or from somewhere else?
    I was kinda torn on what to make the alignment. While it does crave destruction, I'm not sure it's intelligent enough to be considered evil. It doesn't really have the mental ability to understand the difference between right and wrong.

The stubborn ability is a creation of my own. That and destructive impulse are the only two abilities on this guy that I created myself.

My Homebrewed Creations:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, but you've just got to be able to Smite this thing. I mean, really.

MiTP Vote: Yes!
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooo! Ooo! Give it Death Throes, so it blows up real good when you kill it. And make it on fire like a Balrog/Balor. Awesome thingy. I'd unleash it on my players if I didn't think it would kill them. Mitp: Yes

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awsome drawing! Did you make it?

MitP Vote: Yes
    Unofficial flash light of the
    My homebrew monsters: Reef Golem, Blood Burning Crab, Blood Burning Swarm, Spreader, Demonic Spirit
    Bringer of doom to all thing furry and small

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I love that drawing :P
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragonTounge View Post
    Awsome drawing! Did you make it?

MitP Vote: Yes
    Yes I did, thank you. I'm currently working on a drawing for my GitP Monthly Monster Contest entry, but who knows if I'll ever get the look on that one the way I want it.

My Homebrewed Creations:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

This is just the perfect amount of rediculous. I love it.

MitP vote: Yes.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] It's not just a monster, it's EVERY monster. (now with image)

Well, I was two votes shy when the contest came to a close. Which is probably for the best, since it most certainly would've been a copyright violation. Even so, that shouldn't stop anyone from using the Nemesis Paragon at their table. The only thing I ask is you tell me what your gaming group thinks of it, and how the encounter went.

And, as always, I still welcome comments and suggestions.

My Homebrewed Creations:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] It's not just a monster, it's EVERY monster. (now with image)

Hmmn. The competition isn't exactly closed, but it's true that there are legal concerns here. Interesting nonetheless.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love how it has girallon arms. That creature has been used twice in D&D to date.