New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Misconceptions about unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbillwebb View Post
    Has anyone linked to "Unicorns are Jerks" on this thread? Because I would, except I can't. Post. Links.
    I don't know if this forum is ready for that much cold, hard, sparkly truth.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    I imagine the horn as the core of it's magical power and that such a violet act would have pretty much the same effect as a bee sting: the attack succeeds but the horn breaks and the horse dies.
    Using the premises you mention; "the horn being the core of its magical power" I imagine that through adaptation and evolution such a beast would have focused said magic to strengthen a naturally occurring offensive adaptation: a lance like skewering horn strengthening it beyond the strength of mere steel. This is merely the way -my- imagination would see as a reasonable... bees adapted to the sting and die methodology due to each individual worker being disposable to the 'hive' I find it unreasonable any equestrian animal requiring horse-like offspring rearing to develop such a wasteful approach YMMV.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Always remember that every ounce of the unicorns beautiful, dainty form is filled with 300% unstoppable killing rage.

It was a pretty identifiable characteristic of unicorns as far as historical personages were known:

...wert thou the unicorn, pride and wrath would confound thee and make thine own self the conquest of thy fury"
    , Timon of Athens, Act 4, scene 3, c. line 341:

Unicorns apparently got so lost in their killing frenzy that the best way of dealing with them outside of maidens was to just stand in front of a tree and wait for the unicorn to decide to kill you for the audacity of existing; then jump out of the way so they unicorn would get stuck in a tree.

Presumably the only thing that stopped unicorns from killing everyone was that forests are filled with trees that shield living beings from the wrathful gaze of the unicorn.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Always remember that every ounce of the unicorns beautiful, dainty form is filled with 300% unstoppable killing rage.

It was a pretty identifiable characteristic of unicorns as far as historical personages were known:

, Timon of Athens, Act 4, scene 3, c. line 341:

Unicorns apparently got so lost in their killing frenzy that the best way of dealing with them outside of maidens was to just stand in front of a tree and wait for the unicorn to decide to kill you for the audacity of existing; then jump out of the way so they unicorn would get stuck in a tree.

Presumably the only thing that stopped unicorns from killing everyone was that forests are filled with trees that shield living beings from the wrathful gaze of the unicorn.
    This post convinced me to add Unicorn to my group's encounter table for forests. Balance be damned, sometimes you just need to maul the party with a vicious unicorn.
    Walk boldly, and discover a world of wonder...