The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now

Thread: Non-d20 games

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Non-d20 games

Hello All,
    I'm new to this forum, I've been lurking the site for a long time with very few posts, but I'm curious how interested people are in discussing homebrews of NON-d20 games, such as Exalted, or even new games?

Is there a better place on giantitp? or even another site for those conversations? I don't want to muddy the waters with talk people don't care for.

Thank you
    Mal
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Non-d20 games

I've seen/worked on new systems here fairly regularly. People here play enough games that I'm sure you'd get some comments on non-d&d stuff, but you might get more on "official" forums-- I've seen a lot of homebrew on the Exalted forums, for instance.

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Thank you! Also your signature quote should be included in the top 5 rules of game design.
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malfarian View Post
    Thank you! Also your signature quote should be included in the top 5 rules of game design.
    Aww, thanks

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Another that should be known is

This aphoristic statement, as originally formulated by Malcanis, says: "Whenever a mechanics change is proposed on behalf of ‘new players’, that change is always to the overwhelming advantage of richer, older players."

https://outofcake.wordpress.com/2012.../malcanis-law/

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on which game. These forums are d20 focused, but there's enough people interested in the non-d20 side that any of the more major games will probably attract attention if you homebrew for them. New system creation will definitely catch attention.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It depends on which game. These forums are d20 focused, but there's enough people interested in the non-d20 side that any of the more major games will probably attract attention if you homebrew for them. New system creation will definitely catch attention.
    Thank you for that. I've been creating my own system for X years, where X is too embarrassingly large for me to share, but kids, phd and teaching do that ...

I'll spend a bit of time contributing and then pitch some ideas.

Thanks,
    Mal