New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

biggrin Re: EMPIRE3! I - A Community World-Building Game

Quote Originally Posted by SOSDarkPhoenix View Post
    Oh, greetings Neighbor. Please, stay out of our land if you wish to keep House Moloc friendly. Cheers.
    Salutations neighbor! As the birth place of Sarvochism, Sarvolia has always done a good job keeping to itself (in most ways at least) -- in our pursuit of Equilibrium (the third power above the Exalted and Enemy), we traditionally avoided meddling and actively tipping the balance of power =D

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE3! I - A Community World-Building Game

I cannot find Lord Burch on this thread... could someone point me in their direction?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    I'd like to put a tentative hold on region 52. And I promise to actually participate, this time around.
    Here's his post

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Minescratcher View Post
    Would someone mind explaining what the table in the Resources section is?
    It's something I did in anticipation of the trade/religion table that I hope to get up soon. I thought I'd have the time today but so far that's proven not to be the case. I do have an hour atm but I doubt that'll be enough time to get it done. The one I included in my writeup and others have copied is something I plan to personally keep updated for my own private use so I know just how much goods and service I have a claim to (since I plan on angling Merchant Prince) but rest assured there will be a public table with such information included. If others want to keep up with their information as well, all the better to ensure accuracy in tracking but after two games of Empire I'm not expecting it.

TL;DR: It's nothing, don't worry about it unless you want to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kythia View Post
    A rules query:

If a polity has its capital occupied and is prevented from using a certain stat, can they still take passive resistance actions? Resisting trade centre takeovers, for example.

Also, in the specific case of military, it seems a little harsh that an occupied capital can't defend its other regions - it seems like any war would be a race to take the opposing capital and then prevent them from taking military actions for long enough to mop up anything else they have. Thematically I understand it, but it does seem harsh. Can that be reconsidered?

EDIT: Never mind that bit, just noticed that you can only occupy single region polities. The first question stands though.
    Well, this is an interesting question so I'll just weigh in with my personal thoughts and let the dupe who signed up for Head GMing make the final call.

The only passive resistance options lie in Faith and Economy for Religious Centers and Trade Posts respectively, if an occupier wants to block Faith or Economy over Military I'm inclined to think that would include passive options since it allows the occupied to build units unmolested. Now, this does bring up an interesting question regarding Holy Lands and Merchant Principalities on whether occupying and blocking one of the aforementioned from taking their "specialized" action drops them back into 5-action status. I'd be inclined to think yes there as well.

Merchant Principalities and Holy Lands as well as Occupation rules are pretty new fields so it may take some tweaking before they work exactly as intended. Until then I'll request patience on the behalf of the GMs and know that your concerns are important to us. Please stay on the line and one of our operators will assist you...

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    It's something I did in anticipation of the trade/religion table that I hope to get up soon. I thought I'd have the time today but so far that's proven not to be the case. I do have an hour atm but I doubt that'll be enough time to get it done. The one I included in my writeup and others have copied is something I plan to personally keep updated for my own private use so I know just how much goods and service I have a claim to (since I plan on angling Merchant Prince) but rest assured there will be a public table with such information included. If others want to keep up with their information as well, all the better to ensure accuracy in tracking but after two games of Empire I'm not expecting it.

TL;DR: It's nothing, don't worry about it unless you want to worry about it.
    Ok, cool. Thanks.

6. - Top - End - #126

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    We should probably hash out the differences. Are both peoples the same species or are they often mistaken for each other based on their superficial similarities? If they're the same peoples, we should work out what in them in congenital and what's simply cultural.

The main differences seem to be that mine are much smaller, yours are more industrious and honorable while mine are reckless and contrary. Also yours have exceptional hearing, while mine have a rodent-like life cycle.

I'm willing to collaborate if you'd like to meet somewhere in the middle with the two conceptions of what goblins are and how they work.
    Size is of little importance, I just sort of chose a number I'll happily adjust to yours.
    My goblins are technically well organized in that they enjoy counting and collecting but they tend to keep an "organized mess" if you will, filling the area with clutter and building cities as they need new things instead of planning them well in advance. The Honourable Knights of Silvest only try to be honourable because Silvest was. If in your region Silvest is not seen as the ultimate role model then you could easily do otherwise. Also I tried to make it say that they try to be honourable but I intended for them to slip up a lot.
    Finally the excellent hearing could be quickly swapped for smell if you wanted since that seems like a more rodent-like trait to me and still makes sense with the reason I wanted good hearing in terms of being able to detect things without necessarily seeing them right away while creeping through long grass or reeds or similar where sight is greatly reduced.
    EDIT: missed first part of your post
    I think the matter of industry/organization/honour vs reckless/messy/contrary is more of a cultural thing that we could keep different.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2016-12-21 at 05:15 PM.
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You amaze me as well. Thank you!

For the minor resources, why are these all acronyms? Why not spell these out...? Apologies if I missed something in the rules!

Also, for all unorganized religions (everything but one) you need faith 10 to make it organized.... But the faith 5 action requires an organized religion. Does that mean you have to wait until 10 to organize and then make a holy order with your 5 that you never used?
    Last edited by Jonagel; 2016-12-21 at 05:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Bravo *claps vigorously.*

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

I believe this is done.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmammoth View Post
    I am still pending a write up of the terrain but wanted to see if was something to be accepted. A different take on Minotaurs.

The Tribes of Taurin (Region 63)

Spoiler: History
    Show

Taurin's Past -

For the people of Taurin, their history is one of a scattered and broken people that through unity, have bounced back from the brink of extinction and into a civilization that is to be reckon with.

According to the traditions of the Taurin people, there kind was first created by the divine entity called Taurin (for whom they have taken their name from). The first generation, called the Aurochs, were said to live in harmony among a very primeval land. For generations the Aurochs followed the sacred principals of Taurin but one day they became corrupt and abused the land, no longer respecting the sacred principals. For that Taurin cursed the Aurochs into blood thirsty beast many would come to call Minotaurs, forever hated and hunted by other races. However, not all were as such but still were punished by Taurin for not stopping their kinsmen from becoming corrupted. The punishment was to be a separation of the people into the 7 tribes and exiled from the lands of their birth, forever a nomadic people to deal with the hardships that came of this lifestyle.

As the generations went, the 7 tribes existed in all parts of the continent evolving their own cultures based on the lands they roamed. But some 2000 years ago all of the 7 tribes began to face persecution to the point of the Taurin people going extinct. In their lore, it was in this time of darkness 7 women each representing the different tribes would find one another under Taurin's guidance and be given the task to find one that would unit the people and lead them to a promised land. The 7 women, called the Pleiades, found the chose individual who was a simple farm boy named Aldebaran. Through great trials and tribulations, Aldebaran fought many odds but united the tribes and lead them on a great journey to the lands the Taurin people now call home.

Taurin's Present -

In the modern times Taurin has thrived as a nation and experience a prosperity not recalled since the days of the Aurochs. However, the nation has always held an "arms-length" policy with regards to other nations, especially with their neighbors to the south. The underlying reason is a deep seeded fear at the possibility of facing extinction once again. The Taurin's know that they are seen as monsters by most even in modern times, but still do realize that friendly relations must always be kept at all times. Still the Taurin people have mandated that all Taurin of age, both male and female, must serve at least 6 years in their national defense force. Some neighboring countries may view this as a provocation, but those that know the history of the Taurin can at least understand the reason why. Trust of this nation is not easily won, but of those nations that do will find a loyalty that will withstand the test of time.

However, the present Aldebaran wants to expand the knowledge of the people and has set upon an initiative to modernize the education system.

Spoiler: Government
    Show

Taurin has possibly one of the most oddest forms of government that is essentially a dichotomy unto itself. At the head of of the government is a ruler that is called the Aldebaran in honor of the first ruler that united the people. The Aldebaran holds a position of office that is basically as a king though there is no right by birth. The one who comes to hold this office must demonstrate the "Qualities of Aldebaran" which is a series of physical, mental, social, and spiritual contests (a total of 200 test) that hold to the original qualities of Aldebaran.

Below this offices forms what others would call a court consisting of the appointed representatives of each tribe who are elected in a democratic fashion based on merit and skills. Though the appointed representative act more like a counsel of elders despite the ages vary dramatically.

Below this rank is the tribe's leader that acts as a governor of the district the tribe inhabits. Despite this well methodical form of government, there exist a group of religious figures called the Pleiades who are those that receive divine messages from Taurin and communicate that to all the leaders. The interesting thing is the Pleiades rarely speak regarding affairs of state, but when they do all in a position of political power listen. It is that big of a deal.

Offices of government are obtainable to both men and women, even the position of Aldebaran. However those chosen as the Pleiades are restricted to women only.

Spoiler: People
    Show

The Taurin in appearance is best described as humans with a selection of key bovine traits. Unlike the truly cursed Aurochs who were turned into upright walking bull people, Taurins do share a many similarities to humans. If not for the bovine traites, they could almost blend in with them.

The typical Taurin stands between 5'6 to 6'2 in both men and women. Their skin consist of a rich almond like color with hair that typically appears as Redish-Brown, Black, and in rare cases Blond. Eyes of the Taurin people are normally brown with hazel being a close second. Rarely is one born with amber or green eyes. As to physical appearance Taurins come in all shapes and sizes as far as being skinny or fat, although one very binding trait is that all Taurin's have broad shoulders and a very pronounced neck. In addition, all Taurins are born with a cow-like tail, cow-like ears, and cow like horns that spring to full size once puberty hits. Though each of the cow-like features differ based on the tribe they come from.

From time to time, some individuals are born with more bovine features as like a Minotaur. Such individuals however are seen as cursed and will have a hard life. In reality this is a genetic defect akin to some humans born with extra fingers or webbed feet.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show

By the views of the Shishiyan Church, the religion of Taurin is pagan. To the Taurin people, it is a reverence to nature.

At the center of their religious beliefs is a reverence for the entity called Taurin. Taurin is not worshiped as a traditional deity but is considered the personification of the world and the heavens itself, a force of nature. There are no shrines, churches or anything that most religions would consider as needed for worship. To the Taurin people, the land they live on is a shrine, a living shrine that must always be constantly revered. But center to the reverence of Taurin is a following of the sacred principals, a strict code of ethics given by Taurin.

When manners of a divine nature are called upon, a group of seven women called the Pleiades appear who act as the voice of Taurin. Not very often do they interfere or appear in the lives of the people or the government but when they do have something to say, everyone listens because it is that important. The Pleiades maintain 3 small centers built evenly throughout the nation which they routinely migrate to at certain times of the year.

In addition to this is a set of rules called the Songs of Aldebaran. Simply it is a unification of the various different laws of each tribe taken by Aldebarn that made the most sense and bound into one unifying law along with his own original ideas. The Songs deal in a variety of topics regarding how affairs of state are to be conducted to proper protocols for a host and their guest. While though not a religion, the Songs are a core philosophical principal that impacts everyone's lives in one way or another.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show

Export: Taurin Manure
    The substance call Taurin Manure is a misrepresentation of what the item is. Taurins have found that use of a local nut called the Ditti, if allowed to rot and ferment, makes a very excellent growing aid for crops. But the rott and fermintation must be done under specific conditions for a great length of time. This product takes the name Taurin Manure in that the odor given by the rotting Ditti is akin to animal dung.

Import:
    As part of the education initiative, several books of knowledge are sought after on a wide range of disciplines.

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show

The terrain composes mostly of thick forest surrounding most of the boarders and the coastline that proceeds inward until the twin mountain ranges are hit. Within the mountain ranges the climate is warmer thanks to a natural underground geysers which allow plants used to warmer temperatures to grow. The mountains extend very high above the cloud lines where small pockets of flat land exist that receive constant rain and snow fall. On the northern coast is a small island that is covered with a layer of volcanic rock but does allow life to be sustained. Deep beneath the mountains is a large network of natural caverns that have been utilized for extra living spaces.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

I should be able to finish my Kingdom off tomorrow. It's an hour till midnight over here.

It should be rather interesting. Me being at 2 puts me next to 8's The Shimmering Coast (Bokoblin), 10's Plains of Vishanya (Aryadnae) and 12's Highlands of Mi'vara (Icilia). I need to write a bit extra to factor all that in.
    Last edited by Emperor Dark; 2016-12-21 at 06:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Kobold

OK, got the beginning ready, still much to fill out as I get ideas sorted from my head to paper, but it should get the point across. Feedback and potential points for collaboration are always appreciated!

Spoiler: Khada'Aldul, the Realm of the Godly
    Show

Khada’Aldul “Realm of the Godly”
    Region 40

Khada Tarak Kainen, the Thousand Hammers
    Diplomacy:
    Military:
    Economy:
    Intrigue:
    Faith:

Spoiler: History and Government
    Show

A militant theocracy with roots stretching back into antiquity, Khada’Aldul, the Realm of the Godly, is a place of incredible beauty and splendor built upon the bones of uncountable masses.

Khada’Aldul is a caste based society ruled by the God-Kings and their families, the four Khada lines; in Khada’Aldul, all people are slaves to the Khada, but not all slaves are equal. One is born into their caste and this may never change, but standing within that caste is fluid – those who best exemplify the traits of their caste and serve the will of the Khada are given a higher place and may even earn privileges normally denied their caste. Caste marks are branded into the forehead once it is deemed an infant shall live, or upon conversion to the true way for those unfortunate enough to have been born outside of the Realm. Each of the castes is granted certain rights and freedoms, as well as obligations, while those without a caste mark are lower even than slaves and have no standing or rights at all within Khada’Aldul. Marriage between castes is forbidden, but children born of a pairing between members of differing castes can be taken into the higher caste at the parent’s discretion.

The highest of the castes are the Talrud, the priestly caste, servants of the Khada who oversee the many religious ceremonies and also fill the role of bureaucrat within the realm. Then come the Mharvad, the warrior caste, which includes gladiators and athletes, as well as the common soldier. The Dalhaz are the artisan caste, those who make and sell goods as well as performers and artists. Last and least, as well as by far the most numerous, are the Pakdavir, the worker caste, which includes farmers, litter bearers, water haulers, and any other laborers.

Show

Barren desert lands, with some decent agricultural lands along a river delta.
    The capital city is called Khada’Angir, the Home of the Godly, for it is the primary residence of the heads of each of the four Khada lines.

Show

The human people of Khada’Angir call themselves the Khada’haz, or the ‘Godly People’, as they have been blessed by the presence of the Khada, the eternal God-Kings. Most the populace have a bronzed skin tone and dark hair, though there are smaller populations of both lighter and darker skinned peoples, mostly of the slave caste, a reminder of times when the realm stretched further and non-natives were taught the true way and brought back to the capital.
    Beyond the normal human populace, there are the Khada lines; enhanced and perfected across countless generations of careful breeding and alchemical augmentation, few would qualify the Khada as truly human anymore. Each of the lines has their own vision of the perfected self, and differing regimens of alchemical concoctions that make the traits of their line unique. The four Khada lines bear a broad mix of physical traits, for they take their lovers and breeding stock from all castes, ensuring themselves a wide variety of descendants upon which to test and perfect their alchemical formulas.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

Alchemy??
    Needs??

Show

The populace of the region are devout believers in Khadism, which teaches that there is no life beyond this one, and no greater power than the self; divinity can only be achieved through perfection of the self – as the body is the temple of the spirit, only through strengthening and mastering the flesh can the spirit be mastered and strengthened in turn. The Khada are those who have come closest to achieving this perfection, and so are the beings most worthy of worship and obedience.
    Though it is not commonly known outside of the realm, institutionalized cannibalism is part of the religion’s highest ceremony’s; the spirit lives within the flesh and those who have been deemed worthy may have their flesh eaten by one of a higher caste, thus moving their spirit closer to the Khada. The very best of each caste offer themselves up to the Khada, so that their spirits might join with them and so reach towards divinity. Criminals, as well as those who fail their caste in spectacular fashion, are fed to the dogs, their spirit condemned to an animal existence (the flesh of a dog is therefore unclean, and must never be eaten).

Religious Centers
    Khada’Angir – Khadism

Spoiler: Military
    Show

The typical army consists of a small cadre of Mharvad caste soldier, a hundred strong and geared with light leather armor, wooden or bone shields, a sling or short bow, and a shamshir (short, curve bladed swords), riding herd on a tide of several thousand fanatical Pakdavir levies armed with whatever gear can be scrounged up, with poor spears, farming implements, rocks and bare hands being equally common.

13. - Top - End - #133

Gogo QB! That's quite a neat overview.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by woolli264 View Post
    Size is of little importance, I just sort of chose a number I'll happily adjust to yours.
    [S]My goblins are technically well organized in that they enjoy counting and collecting but they tend to keep an "organized mess" if you will, filling the area with clutter and building cities as they need new.
    I'm super onboard with this. I like the notion of goblins who rely heavily on smell. Brings to mind the adorable (and at the same time slightly unsettling) image and sound of a dozen agile little humanoids scrabbling around sniffing at everything with rapid little inhalations.

I'm going to go ahead and rewrite my people's, government, and religious sections to reflect the shared history. I'll write up Gobsfull culture as separate from general goblin anthropology (would that be the right word for it?).

Actually, hey, GMs, is there a good neutral space for us to put a collaborative write-up of what goblins are independent of specific goblin cultures?
    ...with a vengeance!

15. - Top - End - #135

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by woolli264 View Post
    Spoiler: Region 61 Jauder
    Show

Current Ruler:
    Grand Knight Jacque
    Diplomacy
    Economy
    Faith
    Intrigue
    Military
    Show
    The Jaudes are a race of green skinned, big eared creatures more commonly known as goblins. They stand between 3.5 and 4 feet tall with men tending to be slightly smaller than women. This size is ideal for sneaking through the tall grass of mainland Jauder. The majority wear clothes resembling potato sacs made of this grass woven together. They are not particularly comfortable but they don’t really look different dirty or clean and they are cheap and easy to make. The Knights of Silvest are an exception. They are well known for their baggy and colourful clothing that is perhaps a little too hard on the eyes but at least is more comfortable than grass stalks.
    Goblins have excellent smelling capabilities allowing them to pick out even multiple day old scents that most humans might not recognize. This is quite handy for tracking prey and detecting predators before they are seen in the tall grass of the mainland where the Jaude goblins lurk.
    The Jaudes are experienced (though not necesarily good) at all to do with metals. Those who do not work in the mines at least part time are usually some sort of jeweler, smith or tinker of varying success. Of course people must eat so there are also a considerable number of trappers and farmers who bring in delicious rabbits and vegetables like potatoes, corn and squash. Daily life is usually made up of long work days. This is broken up roughly once or twice a month when a travelling band or priest of Shishya arrives in town to spend a day or two and lead the village in music or religious services.
    The upper nobles of Jauder are known as the Knights of Silvest, the only war hero in recorded Jaude history. The story goes that Sylvest was a brave warrior who travelled with the prophet Ananda 2000 years ago and settled in modern day Jauder after defeating the tyrant warlords who lived there. These Knights follow in the footsteps of Silvest riding boars into battle, wearing bright colours on their clothes, shields and banners and (ideally) valuing honour above all. The Grand Knight is the leader of the region. The Knights serve as bankers, law keepers, military officers, overseers and other roles of importance. These roles are given importance in goblin society because the goblins of Jauder strive to step up and beyond the norms of their race and try their hardest to build an honourable, civilized and organized society. The Jaudes are known for failure.
    The Jaudes as a people are quite obsessed with counting and collecting be it animals (alive or dead), tools, rocks (oddly shaped or otherwise) or other things. In fact when Jaudes get in a dispute a particularly strong willed individual may leave a large pile of seeds or pebbles or similar outside their rivals house to force them to count and organize this new pile of rubbish. If they are not of strong enough will they may end up cleaning up this mess themselves.

Show

The mainland of Jauder is home to most of the Jaude population. The capital city of Headsmash Peak is located on the mainland near the rop of Headsmash Mountain. Piddledown Marsh is the city in the north built among marshes and softer fields where most farming is done. Snakerustle Flats is in the south but still close enough to the mountain that mining can be achieved by most of the inhabitants Each has a significant order of Knights with the Grand Knight belonging to the Headsmash order and each is built from the keep outwards causing the three main cities to be sprawling and disorganized. Often houses are built on top of each other with rope ladders to get up. They seem chaotic and sloppy to outsiders but the Jaudes try their hardest to keep people from getting lost by putting up signs every where indicating where and how to go places.
    The mainland is filled with tall grass whether in the damp marshes to the north or the slightly drier plains to the south. In the middle the grass is less thick as a result of the mining and the higher altitude and concentration of inhabitants. This tall grass makes an excellent habitat for snakes, rodents, foxes and other small creatures who can hide in it and move quietly and quickly or rely on other senses than sight to move around.
    There are three small islands off the coast of the region, difficult to reach as a result of the inhabitants large lack of wood to make boats. The two nearer are inhabited by small communities who hunt and fish for resources to supply to the mainland. The furthest island holds a large fortress, in fact the largest in Jauder. It is known as Fort Baddytrap. Baddytrap serves as a prison as well as a training ground for Knights of Silvest. All three islands are relatively flat as a result of wind erosion but the furthest is mainly rocky while the rest of Jauder is quite filled with vegetation.

Show
    The Jaudes follow the Shishyan faith and are for the most part orthodox ignoring most of the other branches. The only main feature of Jaude faith is that most of them worship or pay tribute to Silvest, companion of the last prophet Ananda, to some degree. Most worship him as a sort of spirit of luck and offer him a short prayer before partaking in a major event such as a battle, performance, game of sport or otherwise.
    Headsmash: Orthodox Shishyan
    Piddledown: Orthodox Shishayan
    Snakerustle: Orthodox Shishayan

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Great Gold is mined in the region and chunks of it are used in trade and stored in banks run by some of the most organized Knights of Silvest.
    Minor Jauder
    Good None as of yet
    Great None as of yet
    The people need wood as there is basically none and boats are crucial when your region contains three islands separate from the mainland.
    This is now ready for approval
    Last edited by woolli264; 2016-12-22 at 04:20 PM.
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

16. - Top - End - #136

Question: Are you able do a Great Project to create another religious center?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Feral Vale
    Leader- High Chieftain Asterion Moloc, Grahka Bane
    Faith-3
    Diplomacy-3
    Military-4
    Economy-4
    Intrigue-2

Spoiler: History/Government
    Show
    The Yolden people are governed by a Chiefdom. Six houses of Yolden exist, each ruled by a chief, and each with varied political standpoints. However, all six houses and chiefs swear fealty to the High Chieftain (Currently the title is held by Asterion of house Moloc). When a High Chieftain dies, a new chief is chosen by the house elders.

Show
    The majority of the Feral Vale is covered in sprawling grassy plains, with very sparse forests scattered across it. Rocky outcrops and large boulders are a common sight, as well large stone monuments erected by the people of the Vale. The shoreline to the east is comprised of gravel beaches and large rocky sea stacks. Finally, to the west stands a small mountain chain with many caves dug throughout by the ancient people of the Vale. Legends hold that a great beast slumbers within the caves.

Show

The Yolden- The Yolden are the primary inhabitants of the Feral Vale, hailing from the grassy plains and sparse western woodlands known to them as the Ebon Woods. Standing 6 and a half feet tall on average, with thick muscles, and skin ranging from an ashen grey to an almost crimson tan, the Yolden are the masters of the Feral Vale, carving out their home among the beasts of the land. It is said that when the Yolden first arrived and settled in the Vale, they hunted an ancient species to extinction, driving the remaining population underground, where they would later devolve into the primitive Grahka that now ravage the landscape, at odds with the Yolden. The Yolden culturally don’t see the bigger picture beyond survival and expansion, not the most negotiable of folks to say the least. While this may give the outward appearance of them being unintelligent, this is untrue, as they simply don’t care about other peoples that do not immediately threaten them. They hunt large game animals that they have named “Stonebacks” for the stony protrusions dotting their skin.

The Grahka- 7 feet tall, lumbering, primitive, cunning. All are worthy adjectives to describe the Grahka. All that remains of an ancient race long since hunted to near extinction, the Grahka now ravage the countryside, raiding Yolden settlements and destroying anything that moves past their color-blind eyes.

Show
    Hydra Scales - Exactly what they sound like, scales of the great multi-headed beasts native to the Feral Vale’s Ebon Woods and the caverns beneath Mt. Kheres. Traded and collected frequently as armor crafting materials and among the commoners, a form of currency used alongside larger trades in their bartering system.
    Sadly, the Vale has very little in terms of lumber, most of the trees in the vale being “sacred” spots where ancestors of the Yolden are buried.

Show
    Following no organized religion, it is a common faith in the Vale that the many boulders and smaller stones found across its fields are artifacts placed by the ancient peoples of the vale. Using these stones, certain Yolden claim to be able to perform divination. Such Yolden are known as Oracles, though the validity of their claims can not be verified. Oracles tend to perform their rituals at large boulders referred to as “Divining Obelisks” across the Vale.

The Obelisk of the Sun- Devoted to the divining of economic futures.
    The Obelisk of the Moon- Devoted to the divining of fertility futures.
    The Obelisk of the Stars- Devoted to the divining of military futures.
    Last edited by SOSDarkPhoenix; 2016-12-21 at 11:59 PM.
    "If the universe wasn't meant to be ruled, why does the power to rule it exist at all?"

Awesome avatar made by Gengy!

Played the Harmony in Empire! 5
    Playing the Scions of the Thalaz'ir in Empire! 6

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonagel View Post
    Salutations neighbor! As the birth place of Sarvochism, Sarvolia has always done a good job keeping to itself (in most ways at least) -- in our pursuit of Equilibrium (the third power above the Exalted and Enemy), we traditionally avoided meddling and actively tipping the balance of power =D
    Then there shall be peace in our times. The Vale wishes you a boisterous Frostfall! (Equivalent to Christmas )
    "If the universe wasn't meant to be ruled, why does the power to rule it exist at all?"

Awesome avatar made by Gengy!

Played the Harmony in Empire! 5
    Playing the Scions of the Thalaz'ir in Empire! 6

19. - Top - End - #139

I invoke the sacred rite of Dips upon Region 58, while I finish my new draft of Gobsfull.
    ...with a vengeance!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

Right, I have updated a few things within my brief (Resources and Leader stats), if you'd be so kind as to check that they are suitable :)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, hey, GMs, is there a good neutral space for us to put a collaborative write-up of what goblins are independent of specific goblin cultures?
    Probably best to use this thread for the time being at least. Last game the Bestiary thread didn't see a lot of use so it might be a good idea to wait until we have a bit of content before starting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonagel View Post
    You amaze me as well. Thank you!

For the minor resources, why are these all acronyms? Why not spell these out...? Apologies if I missed something in the rules!
    They're abbreviations for individual countries to show who owns which trading post. I imagine the main reason for them is to save on character space.

Also, for all unorganized religions (everything but one) you need faith 10 to make it organized.... But the faith 5 action requires an organized religion. Does that mean you have to wait until 10 to organize and then make a holy order with your 5 that you never used?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DimpleLoamsdown View Post
    Question: Are you able do a Great Project to create another religious center?
    No. Great Projects have no mechanical effect. However Holy Orders count as a fourth religious centre so you can establish one with a F5.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Lleban, darkmammoth, SOSDarkPhoenix, your regions are approved. Please to post them in the Lands thread.

All players please feel free to continue to add details to your region writeup during the recruitment period or indeed during the game itself to reflect developments or new ideas. Anything really outlandish or changing anything substantively, run by me first, but continuing to fill it out, adding illustrations, or other things that take your fancy is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kythia View Post
    A rules query:

If a polity has its capital occupied and is prevented from using a certain stat, can they still take passive resistance actions? Resisting trade centre takeovers, for example.
    As Quinton says, if this proves to be a complete disaster then this ruling may be revisited but as things stands it's a complete block on using that attribute for the duration of the occupation.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

23. - Top - End - #143

Submitted for your consideration, I present, Goblins!
    This look agreeable woolli?

Goblins

Spoiler: Discription
    Show
    Goblins are perhaps the physically smallest race of people in all Celessa. Averaging around three and a half feet tall, to an upper limit of four feet in the case of the comparatively larger female half of their population. Their heads are proportionally larger then in most humanoids, and their arms are somewhat elongated allowing for a greater ease of transitioning freely back and forth between bipedal and quadrupedal movement.

Their noses are broad, stubby, snout-like, and extremely sensitive. A goblin can typically identify specific people and animals based on lingering scent alone. Needless to say this grants them a significant advantage in hunting, tracking, and scavenging. They unfortunately pay a price for this in terms of a less then ideal visual acuity. They can't make out fine details, only just able to read standard sized text, and can't easily distinguish between the colors red and green.

Their ears are long, pointed, and capable of wiggling, perking, and folding expressively. Their skin and hair are a spectrum of dull green, occasionally with darker freckles, which tends to allow them to blend in well with swampy and deep forest environments.

Goblin mothers typically give birth to litters of three or so, and it's extremely rare to come across an adult goblin woman who isn't in some stage of pregnancy. This is necessary to maintain their population, as goblins are remarkable in the tragic brevity of their individual lifespans. The oldest goblin on credible record lived to be a profoundly geriatric 32 years old, with most reaching only a little over half that, primarily do to accident or violence.

Goblin sociology and psychology are highly bizarre by most standards, most likely due in large part to what might be an instinctive frenzied struggle to accomplish as much as possible within such a small window of existence.

This can take the form of hoarding behaviors, spontaneous outbursts of violence, compulsive tinkering, and many other manic disorders, usually defined by their local cultural filter. In this way goblin societies often tend to become a sort of unintentional twisted parody of their nearest non-goblin neighbors.

Historically, in the distant and ill remembered past before Ananda, goblins existed almost exclusively in the shadow of larger races. Living symbiotically (or more often parasitically) under the cracks and floorboards, or perhaps out on the thresholds, of other race's settlements and cities. These days goblin-kind stands on its own within at least two sovereign countries, but that isn't to say there aren't still some communities living as sapient vermin in the depths of other lands.

Perhaps the greatest asset of goblin-kind is their unusual, perhaps even frighting, capacity for spontaneous collaboration among large groups of themselves. Without discussion or prior planning, goblins are known to work with each other with sudden and alarming synchronicity to achieve mutual goals as they appear. Under panic conditions an intuitive consensus frequently seems to emerge among throngs of goblins. The exact means by which this works is not fully understood by scholarship, but it's an edge the allows the species to remain competitive with larger peoples.

Whoops, forgot something. EDITED
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2016-12-22 at 06:27 AM.
    ...with a vengeance!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Submitting for approval

Spoiler
    Show
    The Yssa Mountains
    Region 32
    King Arzu Mazam
    Diplomacy 3
    Military 5
    Economy 2
    Intrigue 2
    Faith 5

History and Government
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Yssa Mountains have been inhabited for a very long time, as evidenced by ancient stone huts found high on desolate slopes, but their current incarnation as a polity is much more recent, though still in its own way quite ancient.

The Amadin people trace their heritage to a warrior host that came from the deserts behind the banner of Amad, a great champion of light. Amad fought the dark ones who had built cruel fortresses and claimed the heights of the Yssa Mountains as places of sacrifice and demon worship. Amad, surrounded by foes, fought to his last breath, and was raised to the heavens before all the blood had fled his body. He charged his followers to live in the mountains he had purified and keep them clean of blackness as a sacred trust. Such is the legend.

The actual truth is more prosaic, the Amadin were natural migrants seeking to claim new lands due to a particularly severe dry spell in the desert and the mountains were sparsely populated, but Amad did exist and there were strongholds of great darkness in high canyons. Ever since that time the Amadin have inhabited the mountains.

The people of the mountains lived simple lives under local lords for a long time, mostly feuding with their neighbors over water rights and pasturage. They were a pagan people, worshipping Amad as a god and also acknowledging a number of lesser spirits. Twelve hundred years ago the Shishiyan Church, offended by this, made a concerted effort to convert the region. Scores of missionary priests were dispatched. Most were armed with little more than their zeal, but they were wise and cunning men, and had great plans.

One among them, a monk named Sarru, was a student of animals. He believed the Giant Yssian Ibex, an animal the herdsmen had tamed centuries before, could be adapted for riding, and devised a saddle suited for the purpose. He gave this discovery into the hands of Tilkhal Assurb, the Desan – ranking noble – of the northern third of the country, following the noble’s conversion to Shishiyanism.

Empowered by this strange cavalry, Assurb rapidly conquered the whole of the mountains and declared the Kingdom of Yssa as a Shishiyan state. There was, however, considerable resistance, as the people were not willing to give up their worship of Amad and violent resistance continued for decades. The monk Sarru was murdered by rebels during a journey. He was later honored as a Shishiyan saint and the Temple-Fortress of Sarrut and the Saru-Kisi holy order honor his name.

The violent would be stymied by the actions of a later priest, Pileser, one born in Yssa but trained in [as yet unnamed nation containing church headquarters]. With dispensation from the Grand Mahangar, he arranged to have Amad honored as a demigod champion of the Exalted and protector of the Yssa Mountains. Children were carefully raised in the new faith, and within a generation resistance had ceased and most of the nation was devout.

Since that time there have been various upheavals. The Assurb Dynasty collapsed during the dark centuries and the Yssa Mountains were long a country only in name, depopulated by plagues and crippled by droughts. Recent centuries have been more prosperous. Five generations past the kingdom was renewed under blade of Argon Mazam, whose lineage yet controls the throne. This dynasty survived a brutal succession struggle in which the putative heir converted to Laskism, leading to a series of brutal sieges in the high peaks. After this many Yssan soldiers fought the Laskists across the continent on behalf of the Shishiyan Church.

The current monarch is Arzu Mazam, who has only recently taken office upon the death of his father.

The Yssian government is based in a compressed feudal system. The proto-market economy of this state is very limited due to low development and high faith. The king holds court in the capital city of Amadaran (‘City of Amad’ in the ancient language), which is located in a fertile valley deep in the mountains in the shadow of Mount Ainlar.

The king appoints four Desans, major nobles, one to rule the capital and each of the others to govern the north, center, and southern regions. The position of Desan is generally not hereditary, and is instead given as a reward for loyalty to key supporters. Also by tradition the acknowledge heir is made Desan of the capital. The Desans derive revenue from the economy of the cities within their respective regions. They are not major landholders.

Below the Desans are the Turtans, the landholding nobles. These are hereditary positions, of which there are currently twenty-eight, and generally correspond to a fertile mountain valley and its surrounding pasture lands. Much of the land in the desolate western half of the nation is not claimed by the nobility and is held in trust by the crown, but is essentially wilderness. In time of war each Turtan is expected to muster the populace to form an army, which is led by the king.

Beneath the Turtans there are only village leaders, who are always an elder from one of a small group of core families in each settlement. Their authority is informal, but considerable at the local scale, and they are usually allied with the local priests.

As typical in a nation of considerable religious faith, the Shishiyan Church possesses considerable holdings in Yssa. The ranking [bishop-equivalent]s control a number of territories under their own authority and are considered equal to a Turtan. There are currently five such positions. They are not expected to marshal armies at royal command, but face intense pressure to ‘donate’ heavily to the cause if the conflict has church sanction.

Terrain
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yssa is an inland mountain region. Though the surrounding lowlands are hot the highlands of Yssa are considerably cooler, though they are rarely truly cold and snowfall is almost unknown. Rainfall occurs primarily during the winter. Overall elevation generally ranges from 500 to 3000 meters, with the majority of the landscape hovering between 800 and 1200 meters.

The mountains run north to south and the region is divided along this axis through the foundational streams of three major watersheds. The western edge of the region is impacted by the mountainous rain shadow and is quite arid. Floral is most abundant around streams and highland lakes.

Most of the landscape is covered by bushy, rampant, coniferous scrub (chaparral biome) and other hardy low-growing plants. There are coniferous forests, composed of cedar, juniper and related plants, in more sheltered areas and scrub forests at the higher altitudes. Fire is a regular seasonal occurrence in large areas. Overall animal diversity is low, with few large predators, but there is a high diversity of goats and their relatives (Caprinae).

Human population is concentrated along the high valleys, which mostly run in an east-west direction, though they are rarely straight. The eastern half of the region is significantly more inhabited than the western half, which has few permanent settlements.

The three major watersheds are known as, from north to south, Hamat, Rabla, and Tabal. The central region of Rabla is the most prosperous and contains the capital city which holds the Silver Temple. Hamat is the least hospitable region and also the most militarized, it contains both the Arpa Monastery and the Temple-Fortress Sarrut.

The highest mountain of Yssa is Mount Ainlar, a towering peak that tops four thousand meters at its mighty summit – giving a veneer of year-round snowpack, unique among mountains in the region.

People
    Spoiler
    Show
    The people of Yssa have learned to live under a hot, searing sun that rarely leaves, and to survive in a land regularly wracked by fire. They are known as the Amadin people.

Bronze-skinned with universally straight black hair, and often possessed of a cracked and wind-lashed look. Brown eyes predominate, but some have greenish shades, with increasing degrees of green considered a mark of beauty. Hair is usually worn short in men and longer in women, with women wrapping their hair in buns at the back of their head upon reaching adulthood. Men go clean-shaven.

Clothing accommodates the harsh climate. Loose but solid pants or skirts (worn by both men and women), long-sleeved tops, and headbands are the standard wear. While full-covered head-wraps are common, especially in particularly harsh weather, hats are considered foreign dress and avoided. Outfits feature robust fabrics or hides, particularly on the legs to avoid ever-present thorns. Coloration is limited to pale earth tones, usually tan to muted yellow, designed to reflect the baleful sun. Pure white, decorated with embroidery or other flourishes, is preferred ceremonial wear. Linen is considered the ideal fabric for this purpose and is highly valued. Ornate headbands, often with extraordinarily detailed embellishments, are also utilized for this purpose.

The Amadin people mostly live a difficult life with few outside comforts. Their land is hard and so are they, but they are also a people united by strong faith and traditions. They are suspicious of outsiders, who they tend to view as likely to try and steal from them. Outwardly they are restrained and stoic, but they let loose their emotions wildly during regular holidays. The majority of the Amadin live as farmers of small plots in sheltered areas or as herders – primarily of goats and their relatives – in the upland chaparral. There are also groves of olives, cork trees, and valuable culinary spices, but these are generally controlled by the nobility.

Resource
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Yssa Mountains produce Yssian Donkeys [Great]. The product of many centuries of selective breeding, these are widely considered to be the best working asses in Celessa and are highly valued as domestic animals far and wide. Seemingly tireless, tough as nails, and able to survive with a very limited ration of water, they exemplify the virtues of donkey. They are particularly valuable as breedstock, for they produce superior mules when bred with horses.

The mountains experience a significant shortage of Timber as they have limited woodlands of their own and need to conserve them strictly to maintain water retention. Demand is therefore quite high and poaching of timber lands remains a considerable problem. Major industries, particularly smithing, a highly dependent upon timber imports.

Trading Posts: Each of the three watersheds contains a trading post. All are located in the east on rivers at points were they have become navigable. Danu, is located in the north and trades primarily in cork and herbs. Arraf, located in the center, trades primarily in linen, livestock, and hunting birds. Dilb, located in the south, trades primarily in cheese, horn, and olives.

Faith
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Yssa is a harsh land, faith is very important to the lives of its people, and has long been so. The name for their people, Amadin, means ‘followers of Amad’ in ancient dialect. Amad was a pagan deity in an early age who fought against the darkness and was a national hero – he is believed to have ascended from the peak of Mount Ainlar and the Amadin are descended from his host. The Amadin were converted over a thousand years ago in a long and strenuous campaign, and Amad was exalted as a demigod of the Shishiyan Church. This conversion was accepted wholly and while the Amadin still give Amad a little too much veneration than the Grand Mahangar is comfortable with, the central church looks the other way because they are so willing to seek out and purge the enemies of the church.

Amadin worship tends towards the austere and nearly fanatical. It keeps its rituals simple – since the people cannot afford ostentation – but goes in big for quantity. There are small temples in every village and attendance at prayer is a social obligation that is not to be missed. Willingness to fight on behalf of the Exalted (and his servant Amad) is highly valued.

The principle religious center is the Temple-Fortress of Sarrut, where the Saru-Kisi order of holy warriors is headquartered and trained. This is located in the northwest, a particular isolated and harsh place designed to train fanatically capable zealots. The Saur-Kisi ride the giant Yssian Ibex into battle when called to holy war, yielding a terrifying cavalry capable of ascending mountains and vaulting barricades.

The other religious centers are the more scholarly Arpa Monastery and the royal Silver Temple. All three centers are dedicated to the Shishiyan Church.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2016-12-22 at 07:49 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Mechalich, are all the religious centres Shishiyan-controlled? If you could specify (either in the text or in a summary section) that would be appreciated. Otherwise, approved. Woolli, yours is approved too.

As an aside on terminology because I am nothing if not pedantic, "Shishiyan" means something akin to "universal" (the church originally had a rather longer official name equivalent to something like "one true universal and rightly-guided church" although on Quinton's advice I removed the additional words so that people weren't overly bamboozled. So the majority of usage in the thread has been fine, but it's worth noting for the sake of clarity that the name is not really derived from a shorter root word, and the church is not engaged in the worship of an entity called "Shishiya" or a variation thereof, just as Orthodox Christianity is not centred on the worship of an entity called Ortho.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #146

BardGuy

Region 64
    The Kingdom of Neveran
    Leader: Endero Hammer-Arm
    Diplomacy: 5
    Military: 2
    Economy: 4
    Intrigue: 2
    Faith: 1

Spoiler: The Kingdom of Neveran
    Show
    Show
    Neveran is almost entirely low, rolling hills, covered with dense forest, which thins as one approaches the coast. Most Nevites live in the cities on or near the coast, including the capital city of Dunava. Close to Neveran's eastern border lies Mount Teko, a dormant volcano which has become an important religious site. Mount Teko is surrounded by several hot springs and small lakes.

Show
    The human inhabitants, called Nevites, generally have light or tan skin, light brown hair, and olive or green eyes. They generally stand about 5' 10" tall as adults.

Their religion was polytheistic, with many myths and legends that were suppressed by the Shishiyan Church. Currently the Nevites are technically Shishiyan, but follow the old traditions regardless. They pray facing to the east in the morning, and to the west in the evening; they tap each other's left shoulder in greeting; they translate Shishiyan literature to the language of their old priests. Men grow short beards and mustaches, and men and women alike cut their hair short. All male names end in -o, and all female names in -a, although this has begun to change slightly as the Nevites reconnect to other nations. Nevites in general are extremely curious to rediscover the world and friendly with most peoples.

Spoiler: Government
    Show
    Absolute monarchy, supported by a province system. Neveran is divided into five provinces, each of which is controlled by a governor. The governors are chosen every 14 years by the reigning king or queen. No one can serve as governor more than once. Each governor has absolute power over his or her province which can only be vetoed by the monarch or a vote against it by at least three other governors. Lower classes have a relatively high degree of personal freedom, but are expected to obey their governor and the monarch.

Show
    Neveran largely follows the Shishiyan Church, but retains many aspects and legends of the previous pagan religion. Most Nevites believe, for example, that Mount Teko was long ago raised in a single day by the Creator, and taken as a home by the God of Fire. Shishiyans, however, claim that the Chosen performed a miracle to create it so that he could become closer to heaven. These and similar beliefs have caused a split in the religious community, creating the radical Purist sect.

Purists believe that the old traditions directly oppose the true Shishiyan way, therefore they must be the work of the Enemy, and wish to remove all trace of old culture from society. Their main religious center is Catidos Falls, a temple noted for a large artificial waterfall that was constructed above it.

Nevites also believe that the world was once filled with magic, but it was somehow lost. Traditionally, they either say that a great demon destroyed its connection to the world or that the god of magic was killed and his creations undone. Purists either deny that magic ever existed or claim that it was created by the Enemy as a tool of evil and chaos, and purged from Celessa by the Exalted.

Religious sites:
    Mount Teko (currently unoccupied)
    The First Church of Exalted Silver (Nevite Shishiyanism)
    Catidos Falls (Purist Shishiyanism)

Spoiler: History
    Show
    No story amongst the Nevites tells of how they came to the island and settled it. The only stories of that far-gone time tell that the settlers' original home was located "beyond the sunset". The settlers built great cities on the coast and traded eagerly with the mainland empire. When it collapsed, the Nevites survived mostly unharmed, but lost all external support. A series of poor rulers led to a three-year famine, a bloody revolt, the destruction of the southern half of the Kingdom, and a policy of enforced isolation as protection. Eventually the old empire was forgotten completely.

Roughly 100 years ago, Shishiyan explorers landed and began conversion by force, attempting to eradicate all traces of pagan gods. The leaders cautioned that they could not resist until they had placated the newcomers, and the Nevites pretended to abandon their old ways. Most of the Shishiyans were recalled from Neveran years ago, but left an indelible mark on Nevite culture.

Their northern neighbors, the Taurin tribes, have been equally isolationist, and few Nevites have ever met one. However, in this modern time the Kingdom has opened diplomatic talks with the tribes and settled on an official border between their lands. Nevites usually react to them with surprise and some suspicion, but are hospitable enough. The exceptions to this rule are the Purist Shishiyanists, who decry the Taurin people as demons, Taurin religion as heresy, and their very nation itself as an evil blight of the Enemy.

Show
    One of the Kingdom's most productive natural resources is a glossy silver-colored metal they call Thiole, commonly known in other regions as "Alicorn" for its similarity to unicorn horn's curative properties. Found in large deposits underground, Thiole cures nearly all diseases and neutralizes many poisons if taken consistently over roughly seven days. It is usually ground into powder to be ingested for this purpose. Containers made of it have the same effect on any liquid held within them.

As a result of the Nevites' growing curiosity, there is high demand for exotic foods in Neveran.

Controlled Trading Post: Dunava
    Just about done and ready for approval.
    Last edited by Minescratcher; 2016-12-22 at 01:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Goblins
    Damn boy, dem thighs. Poor l'il gobbos are gonna get squeezed like a tube of toothpaste.

[edit] - Also, as an aside. Lots of regions seem to have timber/lumber as their required resource. Looks like there might be some exciting interactions afoot, over what may end up being a very limited resource.
    Last edited by Catrus; 2016-12-22 at 11:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Just about done and ready for approval.
    A little bit more in the Terrain section wouldn't go amiss but otherwise this is fine.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

As per last game, Needs are a stumbling block. Other than the very Roman water, I cannot think of a good need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

30. - Top - End - #150

The Barony of Seloris

Lord Vaerin
    Diplomacy: 5
    Military: 3
    Economy: 2
    Intrigue: 4
    Faith: 1

Spoiler: Government and History
    Show

“Five centuries of struggle. That is what they say had befallen our people. Yet when I look to the kings and their cities around us, I see that they do not even know the meaning of the word.
    It would be my pleasure to show them.”
    - Lord Vaerin

While there was once many groups who sought to dominate the plains of Aerok, there were few who could garner the loyalty of their people and fewer who could extend that number past their immediate group. Many tried and failed, torn apart by rival groups or internal struggles for five centuries. Five centuries of decentralized power, corruption, and war. To this day things are still the same save for one thing - The power has been centralized, and those who rule fully indent to keep their position on top.

The government of Seloris originated under the rule of Lord Falkar the Bloody of the Selorian gang, one of several gangs at the turn of the fifth century who robbed and killed whoever they pleased. The scattered people were used to bandit attacks; To murders and to pillages, but they were never used to an offer of surrender. An offer of surrender in exchange for protection and loyalty. By the time the next gang would come around, they would find themselves at odds against the Selorians, either to meet their demise or to betray their own men and join the enemy for survival. It was this tactic of forced surrender and loyalty that sparked the Selorian rise to power. It was the fire this spark started that propelled the region of Aerok to be declared a unified province under the Barony of Seloris, ruled and governed by Lord Falkar himself sixty years into his career of banditry.

With his resignation upon the year --- (Starting Year), his son by the name of Vaerin takes his place as the Baron of Seloris with high ambitions and a lust for domination.

Region 5 - Aerok

Spoiler: Geography
    Show

Aerok is a place of hills and prairies that border the tip of the ‘Bay of Zaibal.’ Long shores make the home of many a fisherman’s hut, and boats that set out to fish in the saltwater sea are a common sight. Steeper bluffs line the southern edges of the region, making it beyond difficult to both set sail or dock anywhere aside from the heart of the bay. Travel is also hampered by large rocks that jut from the ground like pillars, morphed into jagged, almost artistic formations that extend up to twenty feet above sea level. They are common all the way from the shore out to the edges of the southern regions. Together these prevents fishing from becoming a major industry in the area, but provide a good defense against sea-bound invaders in turn.

Further inland the terrain fades into a set of hills, rising and falling at intervals throughout the region. The river Kos originating from the eastmost side of the area traces its way along these hills, fanning out into a web of streams that all eventually meet the sea. Land in the east is often used for farming because of it, growing vegetables and wheat that made for common locations involving bandit raids before the Selorian Clan rose to power. Now the farms are watched over with a careful eye, producing more than they ever have under the safety of a formal guard. To the west the land becomes slightly less fertile, mostly due to a thick layer of rock located not so far beneath the arid dirt. With no rivers to feed the land its nutrients growing things becomes almost impossible, with only bushes and grass sprouting over the fields. Despite this however, the capital city of Zelt stands tall against the landscape, dotted in the very center of the region where the final rivers meet with the drier land. There are many towns across Seloris, and many more of them lie in ruins from past raids.

Spoiler: Culture
    Show

Aerok has a history of being a war-torn region of thieves and bandits, and even though the country has been brought under one banner it still shows in the way the people live their lives.

The people of Aerok - Known now as Selorians - are highly independent, with few moral qualms and an innate disdain for authority. Being constrained by laws and taxes are undesirable, but ultimately better than being plagued by constant raids and lootings. In addition to valuing an anarchistic freedom, wealth, power and loyalty are all things that give a man much respect among the people. Knowledge is simply seen as a tool to gain power, and loyalty a result of it. Honour is looked upon as something for those who can afford it, and is easily discarded when lives are at risk. That is not to say that have none, however. The philosophy ‘an eye for an eye’ can go both ways, where a favour will often result in a favour repaid in turn. To owe someone something means much, and thus these debts are sought to be paid off quickly. A popular philosopher from many years ago went to visit lands to the west at one point, finding their code of ethics to be very different. When asked to put his values in words, he granted them the following script before returning and introducing what has since become the driving force of Yadaism in the region. The ‘Code of Nuun’ spread across the barony following its publication and is often jokingly referred to in conversation involving business across Seloris.

Code of Nuun
    When there is danger it will be your blade that will protect you, not your honour.
    Wealth may be quickly amassed when force or subterfuge are applied.
    A reputation is built not by what you do, but how much you can hide.
    Lethal force prevents conflict from recurring.
    Your may always rely on family.
    Power must be proven by force.
    Loyalty must be earned.
    People are bastards.

The people of Aerok are distinctly human, with a skin tone of olive and a medium stature. Darker hair colors are common, and mostly shades of brown. Foreigners are easily identified if they do not fit into this particular mold, which makes them easy targets for more experienced thieves. Clothing worn ranges from heavy cloaks and cloths in the colder seasons to light and free fabrics when the weather is warm. Snow rarely if ever falls even during the coldest season due to the Bay Zaibal functioning as a climate neutralizer. In its stead a single rainy season is granted, in which even the western part of the region receives a fair amount of precipitation. Black is a popular color to wear due to its ability to both stand out and blend in depending on the situation, though it is rarely worn to any decent social event. Gold is perhaps the most well respected color, but it is only ever used as a highlight rather than a base. Typically the more gold you have on you the better - But wearing gold also means you become a target for the lower class to rob. One who wears gold and is not robbed is one who is deserving of respect. Other darker colors are worn, but less commonly than black and gold. Bright colors are frowned upon as both impractical and silly looking.

Before the barony was united, life was hard for most everyone. ..Everyone aside from the bandit lords, that is. Cities and townships lived in fear of raids at all times of year, and things were taken most often by force instead of trade. To escape the cycle of being robbed and having nothing to eat, people would try to join or create a gang of their own. The people with the worst morlas thrived in these gangs, and the good did not last more than a week. When supplies turned scarce then gang would turn against gang, marking the most dangerous times throughout the history of the region. Only the smartest and the strongest came out of these conflicts unscathed, but the common folk were always the ones to get the worst of it.

With the rise of the Selorian government things had become much safer. With protection industries were allowed to grow, and things settled in a way that they never have before. Even still, just because people do not need to worry about being pillaged does not mean they have no worries at all. Thieves still roam the region clinging to their ways, with few written laws to prevent them from doing so and their punishment awarded based on how generous the baron is feeling that day. The rule for profit is no longer might makes right. You either work long and hard and have a chance of living a decent life.. or don’t get caught.

Spoiler: Faith and Trade
    Show

Tikite Spine [Great] is shrub located in the eastern part of Aerok that is known to have a poisonous extract when the needles are boiled. The fluid can then be added to drinks to make people see hallucinations, through larger doses lead to more serious effects such as loss of consciousness or high fever over the course of several days. It is known to be specific to the region of Aerok, and appears commonly during the summer seasons. Tikite Spine is often traded as a common drug, though there is enough of it to potentially ship large quantities across Celessa.

Gold is highly desired by the higher nobility within the Barony of Seloris, so much so that without a steady income that it is difficult to maintain the loyalty of those within their courts. Even if the barony is under the command of a single person, no man rules alone.

Trade Post One: Open
    Trade Post Two: Open
    Trade Post Three: Open

Matters of faith often take a back seat for the people of Seloris, their skepticism born from a longstanding lack of hope for peace. With so few people living by the ideals of the Shishian church, the worship is only taken to heart by the most optimistic of people even if there are no laws specifically against it. A recent and aggressive conversion to Yadaism after the unification of Seloris has captured the hearts of almost all the faithful in the region, reinvigorating their desire to be heard and to shape Aerok into a land of those of their faith - Perhaps even correcting the government’s corrupt nature through the teachings of the exalted.

Holy Center one: Yadaism
    Holy Center two: Open
    Holy center three: Open
    "What is to give light must endure burning."