The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 665

Thread: xkcd

  1. - Top - End - #631
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Maybe we're all descendants of the microbes from a probe sent out by the denizens of Omicron Persei VIII.
    That's a poor job from the Hrrr, Planetary Protection Officer of the planet Omicron Persei VIII. I can only hope their replacement, Drrr, Temp of the planet Omicron Persei VIII, was able to pick up the slack.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's a poor job from the Hrrr, Planetary Protection Officer of the planet Omicron Persei VIII. I can only hope their replacement, Drrr, Temp of the planet Omicron Persei VIII, was able to pick up the slack.
    I feel like you're missing out on a couple exclamation marks!!!! and/or bolding and/or CAPITALS in your statement there.

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I feel like you're missing out on a couple exclamation marks!!!! and/or bolding and/or CAPITALS in your statement there.
    Thank you, Dtnj, ANDROID OF THE PLANET OMICRON PERSEI VIII! I also appreciate how you Earthicized your name for us.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Flashback to a comic from last week because I've been too busy to look at the forum (or have any free time at all for that matter)...

    https://xkcd.com/2201/

    I actually just saw a Foucault Pendulum in person for the first time a few weeks ago, it was really interesting and I think I spent a solid 15 minutes waiting for it to knock down one of the "dominoes"
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post
    Flashback to a comic from last week because I've been too busy to look at the forum (or have any free time at all for that matter)...

    https://xkcd.com/2201/

    I actually just saw a Foucault Pendulum in person for the first time a few weeks ago, it was really interesting and I think I spent a solid 15 minutes waiting for it to knock down one of the "dominoes"
    I got to see one at Griffith Observatory in LA a few years back, and was suitably impressed. It's the sort of idea I'm amazed someone even came up with.

    Today's comic reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where someone used math to prove that life doesn't exist. The logic went as follows:

    There is a finite population in the universe.

    The universe is infinite.

    To find the average population of the universe, you divide Population/Area. Over a large enough area, this number approaches 0 - ergo, all those people you think you see can safely be dismissed as a rounding error. Including yourself.

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bergen

    Default Re: xkcd

    If the universe is infinite, how can it expand?

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    If the universe is infinite, how can it expand?
    If its infinite, how can it not be expanding? after all, it keeps expanding to make sure you never find its edge.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-09-22 at 06:05 PM.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!



  8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    If the universe is infinite, how can it expand?
    Take a fully booked hotel with infinite rooms. Ask each guest to move to a room with double its number. They will all have a place for themselves and there will be infinitely many rooms free now.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  9. - Top - End - #639
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator
     
    Douglas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    There is a finite population in the universe.
    [citation needed]

    Doesn't matter how good the logic is if it starts from faulty assumptions.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

    Avatar by Ceika.

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    [citation needed]

    Doesn't matter how good the logic is if it starts from faulty assumptions.
    I’d say the faulty assumption is the universe being infinite.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I’d say the faulty assumption is the universe being infinite.
    Well, you have to remember that back in 70s it was.

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    [citation needed]

    Doesn't matter how good the logic is if it starts from faulty assumptions.
    Well, I can prove I exist, but I can't prove anyone else exists. So by my math, the known population of the universe is 1.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, I can prove I exist, but I can't prove anyone else exists. So by my math, the known population of the universe is 1.
    From this perspective, you cannot really prove that the universe exists to be honest.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    From this perspective, you cannot really prove that the universe exists to be honest.
    By now, I'm pretty sure that's not what it exists for...
    Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    It'll be a wild ride, and I can't wait to see all the twists and turns, but we'll be fine.

    This is gonna be great.

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, I can prove I exist, but I can't prove anyone else exists. So by my math, the known population of the universe is 1.
    I can't prove solipsism exists so I just assume my brain is making that up.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-23 at 02:26 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    If its infinite, how can it not be expanding? after all, it keeps expanding to make sure you never find its edge.
    That is a really hard thing to explain to a kid or person first hearing this stuff. I've been asked multiple times exactly what it is expanding into then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Take a fully booked hotel with infinite rooms. Ask each guest to move to a room with double its number. They will all have a place for themselves and there will be infinitely many rooms free now.
    Well that's certainly the answer that explains it, and I have no idea how old I was when I learned it. Only way I was able to explain Cantor's Continuum Hypothesis to my wife.

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    From this perspective, you cannot really prove that the universe exists to be honest.
    Well, one can prove that something exists within which oneself can think about the fact that they can think (and thus exist).

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I can't prove solipsism exists so I just assume my brain is making that up.
    I always assumed that I was a figment of my imagination.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-09-23 at 02:31 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Max_Killjoy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Lakes

    Default Re: xkcd

    Is the chair real?

    If not, my butt would be on the floor.

    That's all the discussion of "but what's real?" I need bother with, personally.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

    Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

    The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

    The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

  18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: xkcd

    All this about the true state of the universe is interesting and all, but we all know the REAL meaning for the existence of the universe is for the eventual evolution of the Unseen University's Professor of Anthropics.

  19. - Top - End - #649
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    From this perspective, you cannot really prove that the universe exists to be honest.
    Sure I can; the universe is everything that exists, so by my previous axiom, the universe is made up of at least me.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    All this about the true state of the universe is interesting and all, but we all know the REAL meaning for the existence of the universe is for the eventual evolution of the Unseen University's Professor of Anthropics.
    Fortunately, he allows us to tag along.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sure I can; the universe is everything that exists, so by my previous axiom, the universe is made up of at least me.
    A really good answer. I would surely tip my hat, if I had one.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: xkcd

    Are the "Capitol Numbers" a math reference I don't get, or just a "funny absurd" comic?

    If mathy, please explain.

  22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Are the "Capitol Numbers" a math reference I don't get, or just a "funny absurd" comic?

    If mathy, please explain.
    Capital numbers, as oppose to capital letters. Certain parts of the Internet, including IT, typography geeks, and general lulz types, occasionally make references to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

  23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Are the "Capitol Numbers" a math reference I don't get, or just a "funny absurd" comic?

    If mathy, please explain.
    It is not mathy, it is half absurd, half typography joke. The numbers you use all the time are effectively 'capital' (if the word has any meaning) with lower case numbers not fitting to the rule (as in 'ruled paper'). The comic, however, is treating them as an video game Easter egg -- if you 'beat' the typing game, you get to use these special numbers that only the real experts know. Obviously it ignores the whole social construct aspect of language -- that if others don't know about it, you don't look like someone who has unlocked a special accomplishment, you're just failing to communicate as well as you otherwise would. I'm sure I've made a similar joke surrounding an 'Oxford semicolon' or the like -- some special 'secret' type of language you get if you're one of the real cool people.

  24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: xkcd

    It's also taking a crack at the "secret symbols" that you can type on the keyboard by knowing the ASCII code for them. For example, you can trademark™ words by typing Alt + 0153 on the Numpad. My favorite for freaking out my friends at school was always the ¿

  25. - Top - End - #655
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Also, it's not uncommon, when working tech support and talking about passwords and such, to hear less-technically-literate people refer to symbols on the QWERTY keyboard as capital numbers if they don't know or can't think of the appropriate name for one of them, like # being a "capital 3" (though now you'll often hear "hashtag" instead ) or ^ being a "capital 6."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    like # being a "capital 3" (though now you'll often hear "hashtag" instead )
    #Octothorpe
    That hurts to type, since I really don't like the "hashtag" thing creeping into everyday language, but that one's funny enough to me that I tend to use it if the subject warrants it.

  27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's also taking a crack at the "secret symbols" that you can type on the keyboard by knowing the ASCII code for them. For example, you can trademark™ words by typing Alt + 0153 on the Numpad. My favorite for freaking out my friends at school was always the ¿
    I tried that with what Wikipedia said was the interrobang, and I got an equals instead.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  28. - Top - End - #658
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I tried that with what Wikipedia said was the interrobang, and I got an equals instead.
    ⸘Que‽

    The trick is to type the interrobang in Spanish.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Max_Killjoy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Lakes

    Default Re: xkcd

    Come on, who doesn't know that the name of "shift 6" is the caret?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

    Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

    The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

    The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

  30. - Top - End - #660
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: xkcd

    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Come on, who doesn't know that the name of "shift 6" is the caret?
    Far too many people, apparently.

    Heck, one time when I was helping someone reset a password I set the new one to the stereotypical "password1!" and read it out to them, and their response was "Exclamation mark? That's the capital 1, right?"
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •