New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Q333: Does Detect Secrets (Divination sphere) find traps and purloined letters?

Q334: What does Divine Dark actually do?

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Q333: Does Detect Secrets (Divination sphere) find traps and purloined letters?
    A333: Detect Secrets will not find traps, but it should be able to find things that are hidden in plain sight (which I assume is what you mean by purloined letter). If you want to find traps, you will require the See Hazard talent. If you would like to disable said traps, the Trapfinding advanced talent may be required.

Q334: What does Divine Dark actually do?
    A334: The Divine Dark alternate divination allows you to see clearly in darkness (including magical darkness) for as long as you divine.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

Q335: Could I use Shared Magic with creating a Momentum pool to give that pool to someone else? I'm fairly sure you can, but I'm also fairly sure it's pretty useless unless the target has a Momentum talent of their own to give allies something to use the points from their pool, in which case it begs the question of why bother in the first place (maybe a higher CL caster passing off a larger pool than a low caster could generate?).

4. - Top - End - #844
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Q335: Could I use Shared Magic with creating a Momentum pool to give that pool to someone else? I'm fairly sure you can, but I'm also fairly sure it's pretty useless unless the target has a Momentum talent of their own to give allies something to use the points from their pool, in which case it begs the question of why bother in the first place (maybe a higher CL caster passing off a larger pool than a low caster could generate?).
    We're in GM fiat territory here, but I think I would agree with your interpretation: the momentum talents are the ones you currently have, not the ones you had when you uses the ability.

5. - Top - End - #845

Q336: If you put a Barrier Ward in between a creature already grappling another creature, does that break the grapple?

6. - Top - End - #846
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Does anyone have a decent form-fillable character sheet for Spheres? Bonus points if it's also compatible with Spheres of Might (asking a lot I know).

7. - Top - End - #847

Quote Originally Posted by Eldaran View Post
    Q336: If you put a Barrier Ward in between a creature already grappling another creature, does that break the grapple?
    I am actually unsure about this as it pertains to RAW/RAI. The barrier ward explicitly says that "the barrier does not cut through objects, and usually stops at ground level", while not mentioning whether it cuts through creatures. I personally would as a GM rule that the Barrier ward does not cut through creatures. However, even if the barrier does not cut through creatures, grappling requires the grappled creature to be in an open square adjacent to the grappler. Would the square no longer be open if there is a barrier between the two? I think ultimately, it would be simplest to just say that trying to create a barrier ward between two creatures to break up a grapple wouldn't work (although the Protection sphere expansion handbook has a talent that would shunt creatures caught in the radius of the barrier).

TLDR: I don't have an official answer, but as a GM I would say No, unless the caster also had the Continuous Barrier talent (found in the Abjurer's Handbook playtest)

8. - Top - End - #848

Battlemage's Handbook again:

Q337: If an Armorist takes the Fighter Armor Training trick, does their class level stack with fighter levels for any Advanced Armor Training they may have taken from other sources, or just the one they received from the trick?

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

More of a clarification, but still:

Q338: Can a caster with the Energy Focus drawback for the destruction sphere take multiple blast type talents within the same blast type group? There seems to be contradictory wording on the wikidot:

Energy Focus (Requires Destruction) [Core]

You may only make a destructive blast of a single energy type. You may not gain any blast type talents, except with the bonus talent gained from this drawback.
    Each blast type talent belongs to a blast type group with others of similar theme. Blast types from the same group count as the same blast type for the purposes of the energy focus drawback, an elementalist’s bonus damage, etc.
    Emphasis mine, on both. The casting traditions page where the drawback is laid out clearly states only the bonus talent from that drawback may be used to pick a blast type, which limits you to only one, but the destruction sphere page implies you pick a blast type group with the drawback rather than a single blast type. Leftover from before the number of blast type talents were expanded?
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

10. - Top - End - #850

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Battlemage's Handbook again:

Q337: If an Armorist takes the Fighter Armor Training trick, does their class level stack with fighter levels for any Advanced Armor Training they may have taken from other sources, or just the one they received from the trick?
    A337: So here's the thing: it's not clear the armorist can use their armorist class feature to purchase AAT abilities. If they can, they should probably stack. If they can't, the point is moot. I personally think they can't acquire AAT abilities, since it doesn't say the armor training feature is the same as the fighter armor training, but others may say otherwise. So the FAT trick only works for the AAT you take with trick.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    More of a clarification, but still:

Q338: Can a caster with the Energy Focus drawback for the destruction sphere take multiple blast type talents within the same blast type group? There seems to be contradictory wording on the wikidot:

Emphasis mine, on both. The casting traditions page where the drawback is laid out clearly states only the bonus talent from that drawback may be used to pick a blast type, which limits you to only one, but the destruction sphere page implies you pick a blast type group with the drawback rather than a single blast type. Leftover from before the number of blast type talents were expanded?
    A338: The drawback is from the base book, which predates the idea of blast type groups, which were introduced in the Destroyer's Handbook. That specific language in the blast type group text is to allow you to have talents form the same group even with the energy focus drawback, but with the exact wording of the drawback it should have noted that you can actually take those talents. The intent is that if you have energy focus (fire), you can take searing, blistering, and fire blast.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A338: The drawback is from the base book, which predates the idea of blast type groups, which were introduced in the Destroyer's Handbook. That specific language in the blast type group text is to allow you to have talents form the same group even with the energy focus drawback, but with the exact wording of the drawback it should have noted that you can actually take those talents. The intent is that if you have energy focus (fire), you can take searing, blistering, and fire blast.
    Thanks! I figured something like that was the case, but I wanted to confirm.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

13. - Top - End - #853

Imp

I'm somewhat peeved that the Inquisitor didn't get a War Sphere Archetype. Mid casting replacing spells, War Sphere for free at full CL, give it Squadron Commander at level 3 (replacing solo tactics) and replace teamwork feats with Squadron feats. Call it the Divine General or something. I hope the book featuring a cross between Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might features something like this. It can replace judgements for combat training and I would perfectly happy.

This isn't really a question, but if I had to ask one, I'd say: Q339. Are there any plans for an Inquisitor archetype in the future featuring access to both Spheres of Might and Spheres of Power?

14. - Top - End - #854

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    I'm somewhat peeved that the Inquisitor didn't get a War Sphere Archetype. Mid casting replacing spells, War Sphere for free at full CL, give it Squadron Commander at level 3 (replacing solo tactics) and replace teamwork feats with Squadron feats. Call it the Divine General or something. I hope the book featuring a cross between Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might features something like this. It can replace judgements for combat training and I would perfectly happy.
    As it is, I cut two archetypes from War for length (and also they were kinda meh). I thought of doing an inquisitor at the time, but I had already done the general thing with the War Hero and Warmonger, and I couldn't think of anything unique to give them, except for witchhunt, which got turned into a feat.

15. - Top - End - #855

Q340 How, if at all, does Focused Might interact with Easy Focus? I checked the thread and it didn't seem to have an answer.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dromuthra View Post
    Q340 How, if at all, does Focused Might interact with Easy Focus? I checked the thread and it didn't seem to have an answer.
    A 340
    The short: The benefits of Easy Focus do not apply to Focused Might.

The slighter more complicated explanation is that the way I worded Focused Might isn't that concentration increases by a step, but rather, you have to concentrate as a full-round action to gain its benefits. Even if you could decrease the concentration action, doing so would lose you the benefit of Focused Might.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Pixie in the Playground

Q341 So, I'm trying to wrap my head around Armorist. And summoned items get +1 enhancement bonus every 3 levels. Is that +1 at 1-3, +2 at 4-7, etc? Or is it the value listed in the chart. Secondly, Bonded items say that they get +1 enhancement every odd level. That ones much easier to wrap my head around until the part that says they can't have more than +1 every 3rd level like the summoned item. Am I interpreting this wrongly? Or do they get +2 at 3rd level but +1 of that is an enhancement and the other +1 has to be some kind of special ability? Trying to build one for a friend to introduce him to the SoP goodness.

Thanks
    TheMadPhoenix

18. - Top - End - #858

Q342: Is the Energy Rift talent's effect avoidable if you jump over it?

Not a question, but inside Damage Control I would replace "an acid blast" with "Acid Blast". "a Fire Blast" with "Fire Blast".

In case you wonder, where this is coming from, "Spheres Apocrypha: Destruction Talents" is out.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadPhoenix View Post
    Q341 So, I'm trying to wrap my head around Armorist. And summoned items get +1 enhancement bonus every 3 levels. Is that +1 at 1-3, +2 at 4-7, etc? Or is it the value listed in the chart. Secondly, Bonded items say that they get +1 enhancement every odd level. That ones much easier to wrap my head around until the part that says they can't have more than +1 every 3rd level like the summoned item. Am I interpreting this wrongly? Or do they get +2 at 3rd level but +1 of that is an enhancement and the other +1 has to be some kind of special ability? Trying to build one for a friend to introduce him to the SoP goodness.

Thanks
    TheMadPhoenix
    Summoned equipment is +1 at level 3, +2 at level 6, +3 at 9, etc. These bonuses can be traded out for equivalent abilities, though always has to be at least +1. On the table, it shows the bound equipment progression (+1 @ 3, +2 @ 5, etc), with the enhancement bonus capped per the column on the table; bonus in excess of this must be traded out.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Q342: Is the Energy Rift talent's effect avoidable if you jump over it?
    A342: Energy Rift is a line in 3D space. You can potentially avoid it by having the correct altitude, though it is entirely possible for the caster to draw a straight line between any two points in their range (so they could draw a vertical line, or an angled line, allowing them to affect flying enemies and the like). That said, Energy Rift is an instantaneous area effect. If you want to literally jump over it, you'll need some way to jump outside of your turn that allows you to avoid area effects.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2017-10-24 at 11:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Summoned equipment is +1 at level 3, +2 at level 6, +3 at 9, etc. These bonuses can be traded out for equivalent abilities, though always has to be at least +1. On the table, it shows the bound equipment progression (+1 @ 3, +2 @ 5, etc), with the enhancement bonus capped per the column on the table; bonus in excess of this must be traded out.
    Ok, I guess I can see that about summoned equipment although that's not what I think of for +1 every 3 levels because in your way and the way the chart works, you don't hit +2 at level 4 as you do in mine, you hit it at level 6 which is NOT every three levels. And the chart doesn't show +6 for level 18 as it says in the text. Ok, so what about bound items? How does this work?

Bound equipment is masterwork quality, and gains a cumulative +1 enhancement bonus for every odd armorist level possessed beyond 1st, increasing to +10 at 20th level. A piece of bound equipment’s enhancement bonus cannot exceed +1 per 3 levels (minimum: +1, maximum: +5); all enhancement bonus beyond this must be traded for special qualities.
    <emphasis mine>

22. - Top - End - #862
    Pixie in the Playground

Q343 Another question about the armorist and bound equipment. In the book, it states that:

Bound equipment is summoned and treated just like summoned equipment, except it does not cost a spell point to summon, cannot be used by anyone other than the armorist herself (the item’s magic does not function in another’s hands), comes with limitless ammunition, and disappears 1 round after leaving the armorist’s hands.
    Does this mean I can't sheathe my bound sword? Or put my bound bow on my back? What about armor? It's technically never in my hands? I get what the spirit is for armor but it really seems like I can't sheathe a weapon without it disappearing.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q344: How does spending a spell point to increase Destruction damage interact with talents that potentially cause multiple rounds of blast damage (i.e. Destructive Maw, Energetic Affliction, etc.)?
    Q345: Is Energetic Affliction a poison effect, a disease effect, or neither?
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Q344: How does spending a spell point to increase Destruction damage interact with talents that potentially cause multiple rounds of blast damage (i.e. Destructive Maw, Energetic Affliction, etc.)?
    Q345: Is Energetic Affliction a poison effect, a disease effect, or neither?
    A344: My understanding is that you only have to pay once when you first use your Destructive Blast, even when using blast shapes with a duration (such as the talents you listed, as well as Energy Sphere or Energy Wall).

A345: Neither! There are some similar thematics, but ultimately you're inflicting them with energy rather than a disease. While a creature hit with Energetic Affliction might be riddled with boils of acid or literally burning rashes, it's just a particularly nasty expression of destructive magic. It works equally well on undead, constructs, or even objects. A wall isn't going to catch a disease, but it sure can catch fire.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 346:
    Can a rogue with the Hedgewitch Secret talent select non-tradition secrets if they take the appropriate amateur feats?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

26. - Top - End - #866

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Q 346:
    Can a rogue with the Hedgewitch Secret talent select non-tradition secrets if they take the appropriate amateur feats?
    A similar question was asked here:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem
    Q60: For the purposes of the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, do the "Amateur Whatever" secrets count as tradition secrets? That is to say, can a rogue use that talent to gain (for example) Amateur Black Mage and the associated Oracle Curse? Also, are Grand Secrets eligible choices?
    The answer to that question is given here:
    A60: "Amateur X" secrets are not intended to be taken with the the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, Grand Secrets are also not eligible.
    Does this help answer your question?

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    A similar question was asked here:

The answer to that question is given here:

Does this help answer your question?
    Pretty much seems to. Ah well, kinda puts a mild damper on my idea, but not that bad.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Orc in the Playground

Since the sphere archetypes of most paizo 6th level casters are a bit lackluster, does anyone have any thoughts of using the Prodigy progression for the bard?

Spoiler: sphere bard
    Show
    Proficiency: Sphere bards are proficient with simple weapons, as well as light armor and bucklers. In addition, if this is this character's first level in any class, they may select a martial tradition of their choice.

Casting: A sphere bard may combine spheres and talents to create magical effects. A sphere bard is considered a Mid-Caster. He uses Charisma as his casting ability modifier. (Note: all casters gain 2 bonus talents and may select a casting tradition the first time they gain the casting class feature.)

Spell Pool: The sphere bard gains a small reservoir of energy he can call on to create truly wondrous effects, called a spell pool. This pool contains a number of spell points equal to his level + his Charisma modifier (minimum: 1). This pool replenishes once per day after roughly 8 hours of rest.

Blended Training: A sphere bard gains a combat or magic talent every time he gains a class level. Sphere bards use Charisma as their practitioner modifier.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Dwarf in the Playground

where can i find the Destructive Maw and Energetic Affliction talents? i tried looking for them but can't find them

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slavezero View Post
    where can i find the Destructive Maw and Energetic Affliction talents? i tried looking for them but can't find them
    Spheres Apocrypha: Destruction Talents. It's a new release and hasn't been talked about much yet (mostly because I've been cautious about GitP's rules against advertising).