New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Quote Originally Posted by Gobliin View Post
    I have a quick question about item creation feat.

If I possessed both vanciant and sphere casting abilities, can I use the same item creation feat for both or do I have to buy the same feat twice?

For exemple, if I have craft wand, can I create Sphere base wand and normal wand or do I have to specify that the feat I have is for Sphere Wand and get another for Normal wand?
    It's the same feat, so you'd be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gobliin View Post
    I have a quick question about item creation feat.

If I possessed both vanciant and sphere casting abilities, can I use the same item creation feat for both or do I have to buy the same feat twice?

For exemple, if I have craft wand, can I create Sphere base wand and normal wand or do I have to specify that the feat I have is for Sphere Wand and get another for Normal wand?
    You only need to buy each feat once.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    You only need to buy each feat once.
    Does this account for the Gears of Power rework, too?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Does this account for the Gears of Power rework, too?
    The notes on feats in GoP were written by me as a placeholder for someone to write in some clarifications, the only effect they have is to rename some of the existing feats.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Question 132: Is it possible to cast a destruction spell in shape of a cylinder under sphere of power rules. I know it doesn't get included in any of the default shape types, but since it's a very niche type I doubt it'd be worth an entire talent all on it own. Would it be reasonable to houserule cylinder shape under an existing shape? Also would it be possible to create a calamity cylinder.

I don't particularly have need for one, but it'd be fun to have in the case you just happen to need to drop a meteor on something.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground

Couple of questions of dumb questions:

1. The Destruction damage table just says "Level", whereas all other charts say "Caster Level". Does this mean I use my character level? I'm guessing it's supposed to be caster level, which leads to my next question.

2. I'm curious on the wording of this Electrokinetic sentence: "She uses her class level as her caster level when using a destructive blast to deal electricity damage and when using telekinesis on metal objects." As an Incanter 1/Electrokinetic 4, do I disregard my caster level increase from being an Incanter (2d6 blast damage) or do I add that in (3d6)? I would guess the former or else you'd have a weird situation where an Incanter 10/Electrokinetic 1 would do 1d6 damage, but I just wanted to be sure.
    Last edited by Alsark; 2017-04-04 at 04:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by Alsark View Post
    Q133 The Destruction damage table just says "Level", whereas all other charts say "Caster Level". Does this mean I use my character level? I'm guessing it's supposed to be caster level, which leads to my next question.
    A133 It is meant to be Caster Level.

Q134 I'm curious on the wording of this Electrokinetic sentence: "She uses her class level as her caster level when using a destructive blast to deal electricity damage and when using telekinesis on metal objects." As an Incanter 1/Electrokinetic 4, do I disregard my caster level increase from being an Incanter (2d6 blast damage) or do I add that in (3d6)? I would guess the former or else you'd have a weird situation where an Incanter 10/Electrokinetic 1 would do 1d6 damage, but I just wanted to be sure.
    A134A An Incanter 1/Electrokinetic 4 (who doesn't have an incanter sphere specialization) would have:
    • CL of 5 when using Telekinesis on metal objects
    • CL of 5 when using Destructive Blasts that deal electrical damage (Deals 3d6 w/o SP, 5d6 w/ SP)
    • CL of 4 with anything else not listed above.

A134B An Incanter 10/Electrokinetic 1 (who doesn't have an incanter sphere specialization) would have:
    • CL of 11 when using Telekinesis on metal objects
    • CL of 11 when using Destructive Blasts that deal electrical damage (Deals 6d6 w/o SP, 11d6 w/ SP)
    • CL of 10 with anything else not listed above.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2017-04-04 at 04:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks, Mehangel!

Now a balance question:

As an Incanter 1/Electrokinetic 4, I am planning on using Dancing Weapon (Greatsword) + Forceful Telekinesis + Electric Charge + Boon (Easy Focus). So my second round of combat I'd be doing:

3d6+4 (19 wisdom) from the greatsword with my move action, 3d6+2 with electric charge as my swift action, then another 3d6+2 from another blast as my standard action?

9d6+6 damage, or 13d6+6 damage if I use two spell points?

1. Do I have that damage correct?
    2. Is that gamebreaking? This is my second game of Pathfinder ever, my first was a healer, so I have no idea what my damage output should be.

9. - Top - End - #369

Thanks, Mehangel!

Now a balance question:

As an Incanter 1/Electrokinetic 4, I am planning on using Dancing Weapon (Greatsword) + Forceful Telekinesis + Electric Charge + Boon (Easy Focus). So my second round of combat I'd be doing:

3d6+4 (19 wisdom) from the greatsword with my move action, 3d6+2 with electric charge as my swift action, then another 3d6+2 from another blast as my standard action?

9d6+6 damage, or 13d6+6 damage if I use two spell points?

Q135A Do I have that damage correct?
    Q135B Is that gamebreaking? This is my second game of Pathfinder ever, my first was a healer, so I have no idea what my damage output should be.
    A135A&B The damage looks correct. It is important to understand that you aren't looking at 9d6+6 (or 13d6+6) damage, you are looking at three separate attacks, any one of which could end up missing. It looks like your average CR 5 monster has 55 hitpoints, so even if you hit all three times dealing your 13d6+6, you are dealing an average of 52 damage (and spent 2+ spell points in the process). Because it is common to be able to kill a creature whose CR is equal to your level in 1-2 rounds, I would say that your damage is spot-on, and isn't gamebreaking. But again that may be a matter of opinion.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    A135A&B The damage looks correct. It is important to understand that you aren't looking at 9d6+6 (or 13d6+6) damage, you are looking at three separate attacks, any one of which could end up missing. It looks like your average CR 5 monster has 55 hitpoints, so even if you hit all three times dealing your 13d6+6, you are dealing an average of 52 damage (and spent 2+ spell points in the process). Because it is common to be able to kill a creature whose CR is equal to your level in 1-2 rounds, I would say that your damage is spot-on, and isn't gamebreaking. But again that may be a matter of opinion.
    Q136A Doesn't Electric Charge auto-hit? Q136B Does your metal bludgeon need to hit for Electric Charge to trigger?

"Electric Charge (Sp): When you use your telekinesis to attack a target with a metal bludgeon, you may spend a swift action to affect that target as if they had also been struck by your destructive blast, including any (blast type) talents, additional talents and spell points that you apply to it. This destructive blast must deal electricity damage, and cannot have a (blast shape) talent applied to it."

Maybe I'm reading into the wording too much.

Q137 If I do only make one attack roll for both, would applying Electric Blast to the attack give them -3 AC? I wasn't sure if they'd get hit by the bludgeon then the blast, or if it is simultaneous. [Nullify this question is 136A is no]

Thank you for your thorough answers!
    Last edited by Alsark; 2017-04-04 at 06:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Q136A Doesn't Electric Charge auto-hit? Q136B Does your metal bludgeon need to hit for Electric Charge to trigger?
    A136
    Your bludgeon should need to hit, though the wording doesn't support that terribly well. It should probably read something like "When you successfully hit a target with a metal bludgeon." And electric charge hits if your bludgeon hits.

Q137 If I do only make one attack roll for both, would applying Electric Blast to the attack give them -3 AC? I wasn't sure if they'd get hit by the bludgeon then the blast, or if it is simultaneous. [Nullify this question is 136A is no]
    A137
    Electric Charge applies afterward, so the AC penalty would not apply.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

Perfect, I think that clears up all of my questions for now. Thank you!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q138
    How much damage does a Destruction Incanter 20 do with its unmodified blast? Is it 10d6, or 11d6?

Q138+
    As an extension, do the other tables (like the conjuration companion table) in Drop Dead Studios products (including the now playtesting SoM, particularly regarding the animal companion) scale beyond what is presented in the books?

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Yew View Post
    Q138A
    How much damage does a Destruction Incanter 20 do with its unmodified blast? Is it 10d6, or 11d6?
    A138A An incanter 20 lacking any bonuses to caster level (such as Sphere specialization, or sphere staves) deal 10d6 with an unmodified destructive blast.

Q138B
    As an extension, do the other tables (like the conjuration companion table) in Drop Dead Studios products (including the now playtesting SoM, particularly regarding the animal companion) scale beyond what is presented in the books?
    A138B I cannot speak in regards to the animal companion, but Spheres of Power tables continue to scale beyond those presented. For example, if you have a Caster Level of 21 your destructive blasts would deal 11d6.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thanks for the answer! I just wish that it is clarified in the next printing, which will arrive with my SoM copy...

16. - Top - End - #376

Q139: Does spell resistance apply to sphere effects, unless specified otherwise? Specifically I need to know it for the Plane Manipulator and Spell Ward talents.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Q139: Does spell resistance apply to sphere effects, unless specified otherwise? Specifically I need to know it for the Plane Manipulator and Spell Ward talents.
    A139

Yes, though note Spherecasters make an MSB check rather than a caster level check against SR. See page 9 of the main book.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Yew View Post
    Q138+
    further note138+ Currently, the pre-playtest conjuration handbook does include an extended table for convenience since extrapolation HD, feats, and skills, while not difficult, is a touch more involved than 1d6 per odd level.
    Last edited by stack; 2017-04-05 at 09:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q140: When a sphere caster needs to touch a target (such as when casting a sphere effect that requires a touch attack), can this be done with a mind limb? I'm inclined to think it can't, because the feat only describes non-offensive actions.
    Q140+: But what about one of the stronger mind limbs granted by the Thousand Unseen Hands class feature of the Hekatonkheires archetype for the Symbiat? These grant secondary tentacle attacks, so there's no problem about non-offensive actions only. But are you really touching a target when the "limb" is a thing of telekinesis?
    Last edited by Keante; 2017-04-06 at 12:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

Q141: Does Mageknight's "Mystic Might" also increase their equipment size? I'd assume not since, as a counter example, the Enlarge Person spell specifically mentions that it increases the equipment size, and that weapons and armor don't automatically resize.

Mystic Might

As a swift action, you may spend a spell point to increase your size category to Large for a number of rounds equal to your casting ability modifier. You gain a +4 size bonus to Strength and suffer a -2 penalty to Dexterity while enlarged in this fashion.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Q141: Does Mageknight's "Mystic Might" also increase their equipment size? I'd assume not since, as a counter example, the Enlarge Person spell specifically mentions that it increases the equipment size, and that weapons and armor don't automatically resize.
    A141:
    While the mystic combat lacks a clause stating it is a polymorph effect, I believe it is safe to assume it is based on the Size Change talent of the Alteration sphere. Alteration sphere shapeshift effects are explicitly (polymorph) effects.

Strangely, the PFSRD is not showing a (polymorph) tag on enlarge person, which I thought it had.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    I have several questions about the Blaster archetype for the Armorist.

Q121) When a blaster gains a second bound weapon at fifth level, can they bind a second arm cannon? Can they bind another weapon like a standard Armorist? Can they bind armor and staves at the appropriate levels? Basically, what exactly does the arm cannon replace?

Q122) Can a blaster summon the arm cannon while transformed via the Alteration sphere (assuming they have a free limb)?

Q123) For the purposes of Two-Weapon Fighting and such, does the arm cannon count as a one-handed or light weapon?

Q124) Was the class intentionally written to be unable to apply talents like Cascade Failure with its arm cannon, or were those feats just written later?

Q125) In general, where are the ranged enhancements in the Armorist class? I see Distance is an option, but I was expecting Designating and Seeking to show up as well. Second Chance and Nimble Shot would be nice too.

My friend is planning a WWI-era campaign, and I want to play a Blaster that can keep up with the Gunslingers and Trench Fighters.
    I believe these questions may have slipped under the radar. If anyone could point me to some answers for them, that would be much appreciated.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Right, that would be me...

Can't answer right now, I'll try to remember to take care of that tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #384

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q142) Without somatic, visual or verbal spell components how do people know you're casting a spell? Does it affect the ability of the opponent to use Spellcraft checks to identify your spells? Can you use Stealth to stay out of sight while casting?

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    Q142) Without somatic, visual or verbal spell components how do people know you're casting a spell? Does it affect the ability of the opponent to use Spellcraft checks to identify your spells? Can you use Stealth to stay out of sight while casting?
    Geez i dont know pure will power or modified psychic casting rules. whole emphasis on product is create your own casting style if i remember correctly .
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    I can't speak for Spheres of Power, but a Still, Silent spell can still be identified via spellcraft, so I assume that a non-somatic, non-verbal sphere ability can as well. Same applies to Psychic spells and Spell-like abilities. There's an FAQ stating that any spell or spell-like ability has a manifestation, even without components.
    However, Verbal drawback says that it breaks stealth, so I assume that if you don't have that, you can cast from stealth.

I'll add a few related questions too:
    Q143: Do Somatic and Verbal casting drawbacks (or lack thereof) obviate the need for Still Spell and Silent Spell metamagic.
    Expanding on that, a Spherecaster without drawbacks encountered a ghoul and ended up paralyzed, and subsequently asked if they could still cast spells. I said no, feeling that the fact that they chose to not take extra spell points did not, in fact, cover two Feats that they would otherwise need. I stated that (in my game) you still need to speak and move to cast spells (lacking somatic means you can do it in any armour, and lacking verbal means you can just whisper)

Quote Originally Posted by Kallimakus View Post
    Another few questions:
    A character has Extradimensional Room from Warp sphere. He creates the room on a flat 5' square wood panel.
    A) Can someone pick up this panel?
    B) How much does it weigh?
    C) What happens to the people in the room if someone turns it sideways? Or upside down?

D) As an actual question asked by my player, could you attach the room to a wooden disk and throw it like a frisbee to move from place to place?

Apologies if these questions have been previously asked and I missed them.
    Still waiting for any insight on these too.

27. - Top - End - #387

Q143A: Do Somatic and Verbal casting drawbacks (or lack thereof) obviate the need for Still Spell and Silent Spell metamagic.
    A143A: Spherecasters who lack the Somatic and Verbal casting drawbacks have no need to take the Still Spell and Silent Spell metamagic feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Spheres of Power, pg 153
    Mechanically speaking, a caster taking both the Verbal Casting drawback and the Silent Spell metamagic feat, or the Somatic Casting drawback and either the Arcane Armor Training feat or the Still Spell metamagic feat is not a redundancy, but rather a good mechanical choice.
    Q143B: Expanding on that, a Spherecaster without drawbacks encountered a ghoul and ended up paralyzed, and subsequently asked if they could still cast spells. I said no, feeling that the fact that they chose to not take extra spell points did not, in fact, cover two Feats that they would otherwise need. I stated that (in my game) you still need to speak and move to cast spells (lacking somatic means you can do it in any armour, and lacking verbal means you can just whisper)
    A143B: Spherecasters who lack the verbal and somatic drawbacks may use sphere abilities while paralyzed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyzed Condition (emphasis mine)
    A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spheres of Power, pg 8 (emphasis mine)
    Unlike spells, however, sphere abilities do not require gestures or magic words, nor are they divided between Arcane and Divine sources (although another part of this wiki details Casting Traditions—a way for players and GMs to re-introduce these particulars and distinctions).
    Quote Originally Posted by Spheres of Power, pg 153 (emphasis mine)
    Likewise, while arcane casters from the core Pathfinder system must chant, gesture, and provide material to cast spells and cannot use magic effectively while wearing armor, an SoP caster requires little more than a thought to create a magical effect, regardless of her situation.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    I have several questions about the Blaster archetype for the Armorist.

Q121) When a blaster gains a second bound weapon at fifth level, can they bind a second arm cannon? Can they bind another weapon like a standard Armorist? Can they bind armor and staves at the appropriate levels? Basically, what exactly does the arm cannon replace?

Q122) Can a blaster summon the arm cannon while transformed via the Alteration sphere (assuming they have a free limb)?

Q123) For the purposes of Two-Weapon Fighting and such, does the arm cannon count as a one-handed or light weapon?

Q124) Was the class intentionally written to be unable to apply talents like Cascade Failure with its arm cannon, or were those feats just written later?

Q125) In general, where are the ranged enhancements in the Armorist class? I see Distance is an option, but I was expecting Designating and Seeking to show up as well. Second Chance and Nimble Shot would be nice too.

My friend is planning a WWI-era campaign, and I want to play a Blaster that can keep up with the Gunslingers and Trench Fighters.
    A121 Second arm cannon: Yes. Different weapon: Yes. Armor, staves at appropriate levels: Yes. Note that they don't get summon equipment.

A122 As long as you have a suitable limb, yes.

A123 One-handed

A124 Not using cascade failure is intentional given the number of attacks a dual-wielding blaster can make. In other places the talent whitelist may have been overly restrictive.

I will decline to answer Q125 as that is more of a base-book question.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a few questions related to Dancing Weapon. I'm using concentration to maintain a medium greatsword:

Q143: Does the greatsword occupy its own space or would other small/medium creatures be allowed to be in the same space?
    Q144: When attacking a dancing weapon are you doing a sunder against the weapon's CMD or is it more like smashing an object?
    Q145: Can somebody just grab the dancing weapon, and if so, how would that work?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

A hypothetical question related to this:
    Could you make a barrier 'anchored' to a wagon? What about a ship? I'd imagine yes personally (You are still but the immediate area moves). Obviously the barrier needs to be small enough to attach only to the vehicle and not the ground

And another few questions tangentially related to above:
    A character has Extradimensional Room from Warp sphere. He creates the room on a flat 5' square wood panel.
    A) Can someone pick up this panel?
    B) How much does it weigh?
    C) What happens to the people in the room if someone turns it sideways? Or upside down?

D) As an actual question asked by my player, could you attach the room to a wooden disk and throw it like a frisbee to move from place to place?

Apologies if these questions have been previously asked and I missed them.
    Immobile effects on large, mobile surfaces has always been a weird spot of pathfinder. If you want to read it strictly, you can't anchor an effect to a mobile surface... but in that case you better hope the world isn't obeying standard physics.
    I'd probably allow it, but its more of a DM's call than anything else.

Extradimensional room is a bit clearer.
    A) Yes.
    B) The normal weight of the wood panel. You're creating a portal to another dimension on the panel, but the contents of that dimension are not resting on the panel.
    C) Nothing. Again, the wood just holds the portal and nothing more. Changing the orientation of the portal can make for some shenanigans and interesting times when exiting the portal, but doesn't actually affect the created space.

I definitely do advise throwing holes in space-time like frisbees, by the way. Very fun. Also, an interesting method of transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Keante View Post
    Q140: When a sphere caster needs to touch a target (such as when casting a sphere effect that requires a touch attack), can this be done with a mind limb? I'm inclined to think it can't, because the feat only describes non-offensive actions.
    Q140+: But what about one of the stronger mind limbs granted by the Thousand Unseen Hands class feature of the Hekatonkheires archetype for the Symbiat? These grant secondary tentacle attacks, so there's no problem about non-offensive actions only. But are you really touching a target when the "limb" is a thing of telekinesis?
    A 140: Using a sphere effect as a touch attack definitely falls outside of "non-offensive action involving manipulating objects," so you cannot do it with a mind limb.

+: Hekatonkheires does make exceptions to the usual rules of Mind Limb. At level 3 you can only use them as natural weapons, but by level 6 (when they can wield weapons, shields, and activated magic items) I'd say its reasonable to allow a touch attack through them. The 'touch' part is a bit unusual due to them being telekinesis, but they're not exactly normal telekinesis either. They are limbs, and are a part of you. They just happen to be peculiar, magical limbs.

I have a few questions related to Dancing Weapon. I'm using concentration to maintain a medium greatsword:

Q143: Does the greatsword occupy its own space or would other small/medium creatures be allowed to be in the same space?
    Q144: When attacking a dancing weapon are you doing a sunder against the weapon's CMD or is it more like smashing an object?
    Q145: Can somebody just grab the dancing weapon, and if so, how would that work?
    A143: A bludgeon or other object lifted with telekinesis only takes up space in the way that object normally would. A creature could certainly move through the space occupied by a greatsword, though since you have Dancing Weapon they'd provoke an attack of opportunity while doing so.
    A144: While normally you can just attack a lifted object, a Dancing Weapon is effectively wielded by the caster, and requires a sunder attempt.
    A145: Since Dancing Weapons are effectively wielded, they can't just be grabbed. The steal maneuver could be used to snatch one though, and once someone got a hold of it the weapon would be attended, meaning you couldn't use telekinesis on it unless you had the Steal talent, at which point you might start engaging in a telekinetic tug of war.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2017-04-10 at 02:05 PM.