New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Can I ask what Spheres of Combat is? I have no idea what it is, and a simple google search is getting me fanfiction and second edition D&D cleric rules. I'm definitely intrigued though.
    It's a new system that reimagines combat in a similar way to how Spheres of Magic of reimagines spheres. It's being worked on by myself, Adam, Stack, and Ehn Jolly and we'll rolling out a playtest alongside the Kickstarter, though for the exact details of that playtest you'd have to ask Adam; I'm not sure if Patreon and Kickstarter backers are getting early access or exactly what we're doing there. It's going to have new classes like the Armiger, Blacksmith, Commander, and Conscript, and the spheres are each based on particular combat styles with lots of inter-sphere synergy so you can create your own custom combat style and techniques, if that's your thing, or just dedicate into a single sphere and get really good at that pre-constructed combat style.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Any idea if Spheres of Combat will receive its own wiki like Spheres of Power has?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Any idea if Spheres of Combat will receive its own wiki like Spheres of Power has?
    I believe that that is an independently created and maintained site put together by a fan of the materials, so I can't say for sure, but I will ask about it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    It's a new system that reimagines combat in a similar way to how Spheres of Magic of reimagines spheres. It's being worked on by myself, Adam, Stack, and Ehn Jolly and we'll rolling out a playtest alongside the Kickstarter, though for the exact details of that playtest you'd have to ask Adam; I'm not sure if Patreon and Kickstarter backers are getting early access or exactly what we're doing there. It's going to have new classes like the Armiger, Blacksmith, Commander, and Conscript, and the spheres are each based on particular combat styles with lots of inter-sphere synergy so you can create your own custom combat style and techniques, if that's your thing, or just dedicate into a single sphere and get really good at that pre-constructed combat style.
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Seriously, looks interesting, can't wait to pledge to the Kickstarter.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post

Seriously, looks interesting, can't wait to pledge to the Kickstarter.
    agreed gonna pledge just enough to make sure they made jade phoenix mage port to spheres of combat / power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

A11: the pricing guidelines are just guidelines; they specifically say in the core book that they're not hard-fast rules, and in that spirit we decided, like many core magic items do, to round the cost.

A15: Clerics and fan fiction? i'm disturbed yet oddly curious..

The kickstarter should go live this Saturday, so I'm extremely excited about it, and really happy to hear someone else is too.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    A11: the pricing guidelines are just guidelines; they specifically say in the core book that they're not hard-fast rules, and in that spirit we decided, like many core magic items do, to round the cost.
    Perfect. Thanks. I have a math monkey GM, so making a similar item (+3 greater transformative weapon, +3 alteration) needed the math calculated.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Some Destroyer's Handbook questions this time around:

Q16: Does a Doomblade's Destructive Blade count as a weapon, and is it considered manufactured or natural if so? I am wondering because I was considering combining it with Vital Strike, which specifically references "weapon’s damage dice" for the extra damage it adds.

Q17: Does the "Rather than having its power determined by the doomblade’s caster level, the destructive blade always treats the doomblade’s level as its caster level." clause for Destructive Blade mean that further caster level improvements like a staff are useless? It's lacking the typical "This stacks normally with caster levels gained from other classes" that makes it play nicely with multiclassing/items, aka simply act as a Full Caster for Doomblade levels when used for Destructive Blade.

Q18: Does the different sphere talent added by an Admixture feat still need its spell point cost paid, on top of the Admixture talent and the Admixture feat's cost? Put another way, how many spell points does a Ghostly Admixtured Destructive Blast with the Drain Ghost Strike use?

Q19: If you use an Admixture feat with Destructive Blade, do you need to use the multi-target talent (such as Greater Ghost Strike with Ghostly Admixture) for it to apply on every attack, or is it unnecessary as each individual attack only affects one target each time anyways?

Q20: How does Holy Smite advanced talent interact with a Destructive Blast that's been Admixtured to have multiple different damage types? Does it just replace everything, or only the remaining regular blast damage?
    Last edited by AlienFromBeyond; 2017-01-10 at 02:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q3: Does the different sphere talent added by an Admixture feat still need its spell point cost paid, on top of the Admixture talent and the Admixture feat's cost? Put another way, how many spell points does a Ghostly Admixtured Destructive Blast with the Drain Ghost Strike use?
    Yes, you must pay incurred spell point costs for all talents used in addition to the admixture spell point.
    Q5: How does Holy Smite advanced talent interact with a Destructive Blast that's been Admixtured to have multiple different damage types? Does it just replace everything, or only the remaining regular blast damage?
    Half of the damage is sacred damage (and thus deals an additional 50% damage to evil creatures), while the other half is whatever the blast was admixtured with, and thus does not deal the extra damage to evil creatures.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I wrote the book, so consider the following statements of authorial intent:
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Some Destroyer's Handbook questions this time around:

Q1: Does a Doomblade's Destructive Blade count as a weapon, and is it considered manufactured or natural if so? I am wondering because I was considering combining it with Vital Strike, which specifically references "weapon’s damage dice" for the extra damage it adds.
    The destructive blade is a unique blast shape rather than a weapon. While you count as armed and threaten squares and all that while it is shaped, it is still a destructive blast. It benefits from weapon focus (melee touch attack), not weapon focus (destructive blade) for example. Vital strike is not compatible.
    Q2: Does the "Rather than having its power determined by the doomblade’s caster level, the destructive blade always treats the doomblade’s level as its caster level." clause for Destructive Blade mean that further caster level improvements like a staff are useless? It's lacking the typical "This stacks normally with caster levels gained from other classes" that makes it play nicely with multiclassing/items, aka simply act as a Full Caster for Doomblade levels when used for Destructive Blade.
    The non-stacking was a deliberate choice to make it less appealing to dip one level and then move on to elementalist or another class, taking the key feature. The destructive blade's CL is always determined by mageknight levels and only mageknight levels for that reason. Staves don't help (you are making full attacks with a touch weapon, so don't feel TOO bad).
    Q3: Does the different sphere talent added by an Admixture feat still need its spell point cost paid, on top of the Admixture talent and the Admixture feat's cost? Put another way, how many spell points does a Ghostly Admixtured Destructive Blast with the Drain Ghost Strike use?
    All spell point costs must be paid, so you pay for the admixture and the drain.
    Q4: If you use an Admixture feat with Destructive Blade, do you need to use the multi-target talent (such as Greater Ghost Strike with Ghostly Admixture) for it to apply on every attack, or is it unnecessary as each individual attack only affects one target each time anyways?
    There was not intended to be a need for the extra target talents added in for that situation. Good question though, since the text is not clear. Due to mageknights being low casters I don't think the cross-sphere admixture feats and doomblade were combined much in the playtest.
    Q5: How does Holy Smite advanced talent interact with a Destructive Blast that's been Admixtured to have multiple different damage types? Does it just replace everything, or only the remaining regular blast damage?
    The holy smite would apply to the resultant blast, thus overwrite all the damage of the blast. It could be argued that you have the choice of applying it in the most beneficial order I guess, which will be overriding all the damage if you are bothering to use it.
    Last edited by stack; 2017-01-06 at 11:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for the responses, that was about what I expected the answers to be, though I was hoping I was wrong about the Vital Strike interaction. Excited to see the Spheres of Combat (or whatever name gets settled on eventually) on kickstarter tomorrow!

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    The destructive blade is a unique blast shape
    Does that mean Focused Blast doesn't work on it? I was assuming that since it's a class feature and not technically "a (blast shape) talent" that the combination would work, but now I'm wondering if my interpretation is wrong.
    Last edited by AlienFromBeyond; 2017-01-07 at 12:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Putting the words 'Blast shape' back into the description of destructive blade is on the list of errata i want to add. It got lost in one of the many rewrites of the ability.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Q21?: This might be a silly question, but is there any conceivable way to have a 1st level Armorist with access to the Morphic Weapon Alteration talent, and no other alteration abilities whatsoever? I have an idea for a build, and that's one of the things I kind of want the character to have, but it isn't entirely essential.

Q22?: Also, is there any requirement for a Conjuration-based companion to be used as a mount? There doesn't seem to be a talent for it, and I'm wondering if using Conjuration as a substitute for the Paladin's warhorse is viable, also a riding-biped could be fun too, be they an ostrich or an ogre.
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2017-01-07 at 03:57 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Last edited by Adam Meyers; 2017-01-07 at 04:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

A22: in the pre- playtest conjuration expansion there is a companion archetype for making a mount. Currently, I recommend but it a saddle and strapping it on after summoning.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post
    Seconded! I really hope it does well.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q23. The text for the Invisibility talent seems to imply that it does not break upon the affected creature making an attack. Is this an oversight, or can you "snipe" from melee at the usual -20 Stealth penalty?
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q22?: Also, is there any requirement for a Conjuration-based companion to be used as a mount? There doesn't seem to be a talent for it, and I'm wondering if using Conjuration as a substitute for the Paladin's warhorse is viable, also a riding-biped could be fun too, be they an ostrich or an ogre.
    I think as long as you use Altered Size as needed, nothing else is strictly necessary, though Animal Form for the extra speed is good.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

And now for Shapeshifter's Handbook questions!

Q24: If you have multiple animal companions (and potentially also a familiar) could you use the Companion Merger feat with all of them (assuming you use the they merge with you instead of you merge with them option), limited by the number of targets Mass Alteration allows?

Q25: Am I interpreting Companion Merger correctly that it counts as a shapeshift effect? Meaning it follows those rules for duration, counts against the single shapeshift limiter, for talents (ex. Ranged Alteration) and feats (such as Favored Form)?

Q26: What happens to active magical effects on the familiar/animal companion that merges with you? Do they disappear, counting duration until you split, pause in time, transfer over to the merged form? What about if they had a +Constitution enhance on them for more hit points and merged them into you, would you get the hit points that extra Constitution would give? On a slightly tangential note, do you still get free Alertness feat from a merged familiar?

Q27: Is it intended that the companion from the Conjuration sphere can't be used with Companion Merger? Seems a bit silly to me, especially if you gave them the Lingering Companion (form) talent and even more so if you took Greater Summoning on top of that. Is it because it's more like an Eidolon, which also isn't allowed for Companion Merger (rip Spheres-only Synthesist clone)?
    Last edited by AlienFromBeyond; 2017-01-10 at 02:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

@AlienFromBeyond: In threads like this it's customary to number your questions in sequence with everyone else's. That way when an answer comes it's easy to match it up with the question. I'm going to label my own question #28 so you have room to relabel yours as #24-27.

Q28: Is a caster's spell pool intended to be calculated by their class level, or by their caster level? I've always understood it to be by class level, but on the Hero Lab forum one of our customers is providing strong evidence you intended it to be by caster level. But it's not in the errata and also this is the first I've heard of SP being CL-based, so I want to be absolutely sure before I implement what will amount to a serious nerf to non-High casters.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    @AlienFromBeyond: In threads like this it's customary to number your questions in sequence with everyone else's. That way when an answer comes it's easy to match it up with the question. I'm going to label my own question #28 so you have room to relabel yours as #24-27.
    Boy that's sure clear as mud, especially considering how many people don't even label their questions at all, or that if a quote is used you automatically have a link to the questions anyways. I'll go ahead and change it anyways.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post

Q28: Is a caster's spell pool intended to be calculated by their class level, or by their caster level? I've always understood it to be by class level, but on the Hero Lab forum one of our customers is providing strong evidence you intended it to be by caster level. But it's not in the errata and also this is the first I've heard of SP being CL-based, so I want to be absolutely sure before I implement what will amount to a serious nerf to non-High casters.
    I sure hope not. I always felt that Low-Casters and such got the same number of spell points because their powers were weaker than High Casters, but they still possessed the same amount of casting stamina. Especially with the Low-Casters having numerous class features powered by their Spell Points beyond their Sphere abilities.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edit: I just realized my misunderstanding, not having had my full attention on this question. Ignore this post and instead read the one below it.

Old Incorrect Post: It is based on class level, not caster level. The statement they are referring to is not a contradiction; if you are level 1, half your level is rounded down to 0, so 1/2 level + CAM (minimum 1) for a 1st level character with a CAM of 3 would be 3.
    Last edited by Adam Meyers; 2017-01-10 at 04:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh frick, I understand now; I misunderstood the main question because my mind was in another place. It's DCs that are 1/2 level + CAM, and with my mind on the Spheres of Might kickstarter I responded regarding the familiar formula rather than realizing the disconnect. No, Spell Points are indeed CAM + levels in spellcasting classes, ignore all those previous statements by me, they were made based on a misunderstanding of what the question was.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks, Adam, that clears it up!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Would the Mutagenic Enhancements feat allow me to apply an Alteration Trait to an Animated Object?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aoleleb View Post
    Q 29 Would the Mutagenic Enhancements feat allow me to apply an Alteration Trait to an Animated Object?
    A 29
    By RAW, Mutagenic Enhancements works "when you enhance a creature," while Animate Object is an enhancement that targets an object, rather than a creature. You could later enhance your animated object and apply Mutagenic Enhancements that way, but you couldn't use it directly with Animate Object.

Probably wouldn't be an unreasonable houserule though.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2017-01-10 at 07:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

And now for Shapeshifter's Handbook questions!

Q24: If you have multiple animal companions (and potentially also a familiar) could you use the Companion Merger feat with all of them (assuming you use the they merge with you instead of you merge with them option), limited by the number of targets Mass Alteration allows?

Q25: Am I interpreting Companion Merger correctly that it counts as a shapeshift effect? Meaning it follows those rules for duration, counts against the single shapeshift limiter, for talents (ex. Ranged Alteration) and feats (such as Favored Form)?

Q26: What happens to active magical effects on the familiar/animal companion that merges with you? Do they disappear, counting duration until you split, pause in time, transfer over to the merged form? What about if they had a +Constitution enhance on them for more hit points and merged them into you, would you get the hit points that extra Constitution would give? On a slightly tangential note, do you still get free Alertness feat from a merged familiar?

Q27: Is it intended that the companion from the Conjuration sphere can't be used with Companion Merger? Seems a bit silly to me, especially if you gave them the Lingering Companion (form) talent and even more so if you took Greater Summoning on top of that. Is it because it's more like an Eidolon, which also isn't allowed for Companion Merger (rip Spheres-only Synthesist clone)?
    Apologies for the delay.
    A24:The text is singular. I would be concerned about the effects of stacking up the hitpoints and the number of attacks you could manage to get by merging with multiple.

A25: It is a shapeshift, yes. Favored form doesn't apply since the feat doesn't grant the ability to add a form.

A26: Active magic effects affect the merged creature. The hitpoints from the two creatures stack, so if you have a +CON item on your companion it will bring more HP into the merger. Note that temporary bonuses to CON don't give HP if I recall correctly. Your merged familair is still present, so I would say it still grants the familiar benefits.

A27: It was intentional given the potential customization and power available to eidolons and companions.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Apologies for the delay.
    A24:The text is singular. I would be concerned about the effects of stacking up the hitpoints and the number of attacks you could manage to get by merging with multiple.
    Yes, I was concerned about that as well. Pack Master Shifter could hit over 1k HP if done correctly I think, to say nothing of the sheer number of natural attacks you could stack by merging with multiple companions at once.

A25: It is a shapeshift, yes. Favored form doesn't apply since the feat doesn't grant the ability to add a form.
    But it does make you choose a talent that grants a form to determine its effects. Companion Merger is technically a feat anyways now that I think about it, while still being a shapeshift.

A26: Active magic effects affect the merged creature. The hitpoints from the two creatures stack, so if you have a +CON item on your companion it will bring more HP into the merger. Note that temporary bonuses to CON don't give HP if I recall correctly. Your merged familair is still present, so I would say it still grants the familiar benefits.
    I was assuming temporary Con bonuses still do give HP since Barbarian Rage reminds you about it. Good to know about the sharing of buffs though.

A27: It was intentional given the potential customization and power available to eidolons and companions.
    That's fair, thought I'd ask to be sure though.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q. How would planeswalking/gate spells work in spheres?
    I'd assume that Warp would be the sphere, but the talents are nowhere near powerful enough.
    My only solution is to just outright take the spells in question and convert them to rituals. The problem is the vastly increased casting time.