New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Quote Originally Posted by mrguymiah View Post
    You should take 2 general drawbacks and pick up the "Easy Focus" boon. It lets you lower the step for concentration by 1. So combining Quick Transformation with it to lowe ryour concentration to a swift. That'd let you take your move and standard in a turn.
    Neither Shifter or Easy Focus decrease concentration by a step. Both directly set concentration to a move action. As such, combining them does not lower concentration to a swift action, but instead provides no additional benefit whatsoever.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Neither Shifter or Easy Focus decrease concentration by a step. Both directly set concentration to a move action. As such, combining them does not lower concentration to a swift action, but instead provides no additional benefit whatsoever.
    I could've sworn... Well, thank you for correcting me, regardless. Any answer on the question about Telekinesis' Dancing Weapon and Spheres of Might?

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

A 401

In general, I'd say that you can't use Telekinesis and Spheres of Might together.

The reason I say no is that most of Spheres of Might requires use of specific actions. Berserker's Brutal Strike requires a specific attack action, same with Dual Attack, Impale, and a lot of others. None of these are compatible with Telekinesis, because using telekinesis to bludgeon someone isn't an attack action. This makes it impossible to use a Bludgeon to Brutal Strike or any of those other options.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 401

In general, I'd say that you can't use Telekinesis and Spheres of Might together.

The reason I say no is that most of Spheres of Might requires use of specific actions. Berserker's Brutal Strike requires a specific attack action, same with Dual Attack, Impale, and a lot of others. None of these are compatible with Telekinesis, because using telekinesis to bludgeon someone isn't an attack action. This makes it impossible to use a Bludgeon to Brutal Strike or any of those other options.
    Guardian Sphere's Patrol does not take an action except to initiate and concentrate.

(Which can be kicked down to a Standard action, TK concentrate can be made a move with Easy Focus. Their concentration's are not mutually exclusive.)

Patrol then increases your threaten range and allows you to make attacks of opportunity, something Telekinesis allows you to do. So long as you have not expended your Telekinetic distance, I see no reason that the telekinetically held weapons should not be allowed to be used in this way, as it does not conflict action wise. Furthermore, it seems odd that Combat Patrol, a core feat, could be both used with Telekinesis and exchanged for Guardian Sphere's Patrol, but Guardian Sphere would be unusuable with Telekinesis.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Guardian Sphere's Patrol does not take an action except to initiate and concentrate.

(Which can be kicked down to a Standard action, TK concentrate can be made a move with Easy Focus. Their concentration's are not mutually exclusive.)

Patrol then increases your threaten range and allows you to make attacks of opportunity, something Telekinesis allows you to do. So long as you have not expended your Telekinetic distance, I see no reason that the telekinetically held weapons should not be allowed to be used in this way, as it does not conflict action wise. Furthermore, it seems odd that Combat Patrol, a core feat, could be both used with Telekinesis and exchanged for Guardian Sphere's Patrol, but Guardian Sphere would be unusuable with Telekinesis.
    Hmmm...I think I might need to think about the Marshal Controller archetype a bit more :)

6. - Top - End - #996
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    Hmmm...I think I might need to think about the Marshal Controller archetype a bit more :)
    Check out the Soaring Blade Archtype for Armorist. Full BAB and Full CL for Telekinesis.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

A 401

CotS has the Vector Archetype which lets you do some Might things with Telekinesis.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, exceptions may exist. Hence "generally" and my explanation of why I said what I did. I mean, your question was "does this book sized subsystem work with this complicated telekinesis mechanic." Hard to answer that in a way that covers every single case.

In the case of Guardian Sphere, I would still say it doesn't work. In fact, I would also say Combat Patrol doesn't work. Or rather, you can definitely use either of them while using telekinesis, but both feats increase your threatened area. Telekinetic weapons have their own threatened area dependent on their size, and the wording of Combat Patrol and Guardian Sphere's Patrol don't allow you to expand it.
    And from a balance standpoint, being able to substantially increase the threatened area of multiple telekinetically controlled weapons is too powerful.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2017-12-03 at 02:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yes, exceptions may exist. Hence "generally" and my explanation of why I said what I did. I mean, your question was "does this book sized subsystem work with this complicated telekinesis mechanic." Hard to answer that in a way that covers every single case.

In the case of Guardian Sphere, I would still say it doesn't work. In fact, I would also say Combat Patrol doesn't work. Or rather, you can definitely use either of them while using telekinesis, but both feats increase your threatened area. Telekinetic weapons have their own threatened area dependent on their size, and the wording of Combat Patrol and Guardian Sphere's Patrol don't allow you to expand it.
    And from a balance standpoint, being able to substantially increase the threatened area of multiple telekinetically controlled weapons is too powerful.
    The only issue with that is that the TK handbook clarifies that Dancing Weapons count as if you are wielding them. So, technically, both the feat and the Sphere would still work with it.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

The only issue with that is that the TK handbook clarifies that Dancing Weapons count as if you are wielding them. So, technically, both the feat and the Sphere would still work with it.
    If you're not fond of my answer, you're welcome to ask your GM for a different interpretation or a houserule on the matter.

Don't explain my own book to me though.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're not fond of my answer, you're welcome to ask your GM for a different interpretation or a houserule on the matter.

Don't explain my own book to me though.
    If RAW is incorrectly interpreted then please explain why. If RAW allows something that is not RAI, then explain this, especially since the interactions of those rules didn't exist when writing the TK HB. And I would agree that this interaction would be quite strong. But the quoted answer is not how a civil discussion works.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Pixie in the Playground

Q402: Am I reading the Whitesmith correctly that it can end up with a +11 enhancement bonus on their own gear, or do they have to use some on special abilities?

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Halinn View Post
    Q402: Am I reading the Whitesmith correctly that it can end up with a +11 enhancement bonus on their own gear, or do they have to use some on special abilities?
    Yes and no. With a combination of the base enhance ability, greater enhancement and the whitesmith's personal refinement feature you could get up to an effective +11. However, by the existing base rules, it would have to be at best a +6 with +5 total enhancement bonus in other abilities. So you could have a +6 flaming vorpal weapon, or a +1 flaming burst, frost burst, lightning burst, vorpal.

The base rules say a weapon, armor, or shield cannot have a greater then a flat +5, but that you can go above with other enchantments maxing out a +10. Greater enhance is an explicit exception in that it lets you have a +6 flat rather then a +5.

But, one could argue that it is overall limited to +10 with the exception that you could go up to +6 flat with +4 in other bonuses. They could also argue that Greater enhance doesn't stack with Personal Refienment, making it still limited to +10.

14. - Top - End - #1004

Vivomancer's Handbook:

Q403:
    Does the Disruption talent benefit from Alabaster Gloves?

Q404: Does the Robustness feat affect Regeneration?
    Last edited by TheIronGolem; 2017-12-09 at 02:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1005

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Vivomancer's Handbook:

Q403:
    Does the Disruption talent benefit from Alabaster Gloves?

Q404: Does the Robustness feat affect Regeneration?
    A403: Yes. Long version: disruption is an application of the cure ability, which is why it uses its range. The gloves also work when you use cure to harm undead.

A404: Treat regeneration as fast healing: +1 to hp restored per round. I was under the impression that regeneration was a form of fast healing, but now that I read it, it just works the same way.

16. - Top - End - #1006

Q405 (Vivomancer's Handbook): Does the Damaged Soul template prevent mental ability bonuses (from magic items, the Enhancement sphere, etc) from being applied?

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If I uses Mana Siphon on an enemy without spell points do I still gain spell points from the attack?

18. - Top - End - #1008

Quote Originally Posted by decamonos View Post
    If I uses Mana Siphon on an enemy without spell points do I still gain spell points from the attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mana Siphon (Emphasis Mine)
    Your destructive blast saps the magic energy from your target, funneling it to you. A mana drain blast does nonlethal damage using d4 dice instead of d6 and your target must make a Fortitude save or lose 1 spell point. This loss increases by one die size (1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, etc.) for every five caster levels. You gain an equal number of temporary spell points that last for one round per caster level, though you cannot receive more spell points than your target loses. These temporary spell points do not stack with spell points from other targets, other instances of this ability, or any other source and expire after 1 round per caster level.
    My interpretation of the talent says that an enemy without spell points do not 'lose' any spell points and thus no temporary spell points are received.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

^^This.
    No blasting squirrels to fuel your morning buffs.

20. - Top - End - #1010

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Q405 (Vivomancer's Handbook): Does the Damaged Soul template prevent mental ability bonuses (from magic items, the Enhancement sphere, etc) from being applied?
    A405: That would be my read of it. The templates does not do attribute damage, it simply sets attributes at a certain value.
    Last edited by A.J.Gibson; 2017-12-10 at 08:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1011

PirateCaptain

Any indication of which handbooks are nearing playtest or release?

22. - Top - End - #1012

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Aipaca View Post
    Any indication of which handbooks are nearing playtest or release?
    There was a patreon post today that said Creation has been delayed due to a computer dying. Once it goes out, Conjuration is supposed to be next. I don't really know what's going into playtest next.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Troll in the Playground

There was a patreon post today that said Creation has been delayed due to a computer dying. Once it goes out, Conjuration is supposed to be next. I don't really know what's going into playtest next.
    so good news then since creation is kaput we might get something completely new in next iteration
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ettin in the Playground

I still find it weird that Warp, Death, and Time (I know an earlier version of Time hit playtest, but since it has been scrapped, it doesn't count) have yet to be released, but Telekinesis was one of the first.

On the other hand, I'm not surprised that Weather doesn't have one. If you had asked me before any of the handbooks came out, I'd have assumed that it and Nature would have been done together, but that didn't turn out that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

25. - Top - End - #1015

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    so good news then since creation is kaput we might get something completely new in next iteration
    I'm not certain how you think this is good news. It was layout person's computer that died. This just means the book is late.

26. - Top - End - #1016

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    I still find it weird that Warp, Death, and Time (I know an earlier version of Time hit playtest, but since it has been scrapped, it doesn't count) have yet to be released, but Telekinesis was one of the first.

On the other hand, I'm not surprised that Weather doesn't have one. If you had asked me before any of the handbooks came out, I'd have assumed that it and Nature would have been done together, but that didn't turn out that way.
    Authors grab whatever books they can and then work at their speed, and different writers have other responsibilities in their life that can eat up their spare time. Some books are also innately more difficult to write because the sphere is so narrow. Seriously, sit down and try to come up with 10 Time talents; it surprisingly hard.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not certain how you think this is good news. It was layout person's computer that died. This just means the book is late.
    To bad i was hoping the creators computer so we can add and remowe bit of content
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

28. - Top - End - #1018

To bad i was hoping the creators computer so we can add and remowe bit of content
    If you disliked content, did you mention it during the playtest? Did you propose new content?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Considering the playtest document is stored online even losing the creators computer wouldn't really change much.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

30. - Top - End - #1020

EvilClericGuy

Some spheres really are much more challenging than others. Weather being one of the prime examples of "how do you expand this". It is cool utility sphere that is rarely going to be usable since it is all sorts of situational. It also has the factor that lot of what you'd associate with weather magic is already covered already in its base talents. Trying to come up with 10+ weather talents I have to say I couldn't do it.

Also things you might go with for more fanciful weather manipulation like riding the winds or shaping lightning into weapon are more fields of other spheres. Same with smaller more burst applications of weather like pressure front or blasts of thunder, since they more or less invariably fall under purview of destruction.

I guess you could start experimenting with say, planar weather (overlaps warp) or other non-standard weather conditions.