New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Quote Originally Posted by ICN View Post
    They don't. Exquisite Detail applies to create effects, while Forge is an alter ability. More importantly, detailed creation is covered by the Fabricate advanced talent.
    Fantastic. Sorry missed that one....Hmm. So a magic ability that would shape Heavy Shields into tower shields for a time would require level 10 investment....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Troll in the Playground

Yo, I believe this was already answered for the Born Healer trait, and so the logic should extend to the Restore X, but I really want to just be sure.

If I use Cure with Revitalize, and have taken Restore Soul, do I also heal 1d8 on initial cast?

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    Yo, I believe this was already answered for the Born Healer trait, and so the logic should extend to the Restore X, but I really want to just be sure.

If I use Cure with Revitalize, and have taken Restore Soul, do I also heal 1d8 on initial cast?
    No. Revitalize doesn't heal at all; it grants the fast healing ability.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Dwarf in the Playground

I checked but couldn't find an answer :

For the light sphere, with glory talent, does Encompassing Light talent become a no-spell point cost ability, which means can be effectively used all day?

Also, assuming I activate Encompassing Light ability, when does it become active? As a Divine Heretic ( warpriest archetype ) I can use it as a swift action but in the general use of Glow ability it says the (light) tagged talents become active at the end of the round.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hal0Badger View Post
    For the light sphere, with glory talent, does Encompassing Light talent become a no-spell point cost ability, which means can be effectively used all day?
    Basically yes. Though its worth noting that technically, Encompassing Light is already a no-spell point cost ability, you just have to concentrate on it. Glory removes the need to concentrate if you place it on yourself.

Also, assuming I activate Encompassing Light ability, when does it become active? As a Divine Heretic ( warpriest archetype ) I can use it as a swift action but in the general use of Glow ability it says the (light) tagged talents become active at the end of the round.
    That clause about end of round is really targeted at glows that have an impact on an area (such as Blinding Light or Searing Light), making it clear what creatures and areas they affect if the glow moves during the turn or shifts position, as well as effects that provoke a save each round (like Bound Light) to tell you when to make that save. Effects like Encompassing Light or Flicker, on the other hand, are active immediately and constantly.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Does it say anywhere that the Eliciter's emotion powers are limited to creature type, like Mind Sphere talents? Or can they affect anything?

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Q390 (I believe that's where we're up to?)

If a character chooses the Energy Focus destruction specific drawback, can they still make destructive blasts of the default type (magical bludgeoning)? Or are they limited entirely to that single destructive blast type?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post

If a character chooses the Energy Focus destruction specific drawback, can they still make destructive blasts of the default type (magical bludgeoning)? Or are they limited entirely to that single destructive blast type?
    I'm 99% certain that you can, as otherwise they would have said "You must choose a (blast) talent as the bonus talent from this drawback" or something if it was that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #1269

I'm 99% certain that you can, as otherwise they would have said "You must choose a (blast) talent as the bonus talent from this drawback" or something if it was that case.
    Actually, they did:

You may only make a destructive blast of a single energy type. You may not gain any blast type talents, except with the bonus talent gained from this drawback.
    And while this technically would still allow the default, its intention is clear: You can only use the blast talent.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Actually, they did:

And while this technically would still allow the default, its intention is clear: You can only use the blast talent.
    Actually, they didn't. They have core drawbacks that limit the bonus talent to a specific choice and they are worded differently, such as the Bodily Enhancement drawback from the Enhancement sphere
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodily Enhancement
    You cannot enhance equipment and objects with your enhancements, only creatures. You must choose an (enhance) talent with the bonus talent gained by this drawback.
    So if they wanted you to not be able to choose the base type and only a (blast) talent with the drawback, they knew exactly how to word it that way.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2018-03-14 at 04:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post

You are limited to whatever energy type (and thus the bonus talent) you chose, and cannot use the default type. Note that with the Destruction Handbook, you can also gain and use other blast types from the same blast type group.

Meyers answered this question in the original thread as well, just for reference:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    @Slavezero: The energy focus drawback prohibits you from making any destructive blasts other than your chosen element. That being said, you can always spend a magic talent to remove the drawback and regain the other forms of destructive blast.

12. - Top - End - #1272

So if they wanted you to not be able to choose the base type and only a (blast) talent with the drawback, they knew exactly how to word it that way.
    People make also mistakes.

13. - Top - End - #1273

BardGuy

Q 391
    Does it say anywhere that the Eliciter's emotion powers are limited to creature type, like Mind Sphere talents? Or can they affect anything? I remembered that being the case, but suddenly can't find anything to verify that.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hi!
    Don't really know where Spheres of Might can be discussed, but I wanted to ask a little something about this..

First thing to ask, I wanted to ask about a martial archetype for an unusual class choice. Cleric.

Either of these
    1: do what another archetype did (can't remember what it was) taking away casting entirely and giving it Full BaB and martial talents
    2: making it a mid caster and giving it proficient martial progression.

I was curious about why there was nothing on it, is it just too niche, too weird, or too powerful?

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorking9001 View Post
    Hi!
    Don't really know where Spheres of Might can be discussed, but I wanted to ask a little something about this..

First thing to ask, I wanted to ask about a martial archetype for an unusual class choice. Cleric.

Either of these
    1: do what another archetype did (can't remember what it was) taking away casting entirely and giving it Full BaB and martial talents
    2: making it a mid caster and giving it proficient martial progression.

I was curious about why there was nothing on it, is it just too niche, too weird, or too powerful?
    I think you're mistaken; while I can think of at least one class that got rid of casting to get martial talents, 9th level casting classes are specifically excluded for that. Though I'd wonder once you got rid of the spells, what does Cleric give you that Inquisitor or Warpriest doesn't?

16. - Top - End - #1276

MindFlayer

I think you're mistaken; while I can think of at least one class that got rid of casting to get martial talents, 9th level casting classes are specifically excluded for that. Though I'd wonder once you got rid of the spells, what does Cleric give you that Inquisitor or Warpriest doesn't?
    Warpriest would be an easy conversion, too. They lose proficiency with all martial weapons (except their deity's weapon), medium and heavy armor, shields, and instead gain a martial tradition (if first level), and blended training with a talent at every level (instead of their current mid-casting progression).

17. - Top - End - #1277

Imp

Q392. Does the Mageknight's Mystic Defense ability apply repeatedly against spells that deal damage in multiple instances, like Magic Missile or Battering Blast?

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    Q 391
    Does it say anywhere that the Eliciter's emotion powers are limited to creature type, like Mind Sphere talents? Or can they affect anything? I remembered that being the case, but suddenly can't find anything to verify that.
    There's nothing that states that they are limited to creature type, so they aren't.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

@Adam Meyers

Having a big of an argument with a friend and am hoping you'll settle it for us, since apparently word of god is the only thing that will satisfy him.

Can Destructive Blast be used in conjunction with Boxing's Counter Punch, assuming both abilities are in their base form, unmodified by other talents or class features?

The argument for is that since Destructive Blast is usable as a melee touch attack, which are subject to more or less all the same rules as a light melee weapon, it more than qualifies as a legal weapon for use in a Counter Punch. Counter Punch triggers, a light weapon attacks, case closed.

The argument against is that a Destructive Blast is a part of the Use a Sphere Ability standard action, while the Counter Punch ability explicitly states you may only "make an attack with a light weapon." This is assumed to be referring to an Attack standard action, which "use a sphere ability" is most certainly not. Thus, attempting to use a Destructive Blast as a Counter Punch would be attempting to invoke an effect (the melee touch attack) without taking the action (Use A Sphere Ability) that creates the effect, much akin to healing from a potion of cure light wounds without taking the Drink a Potion action.

There might be subtleties and nuances that both sides of the argument that either of us missed (and yes, both sides are aware of that Mage Knight's Doomblade archetype would circumvent the entire argument nicely, which is why I specified both abilities in base form), but that's more or less the case for and against it being a legal action.

Please help?
    Last edited by EnygmaSoul; 2018-03-19 at 04:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EnygmaSoul View Post
    Please help?
    Im not Adam Mayers but a Standard Action is not at attack action.

And Destructive blast is not an attack action. Its a standard action that causes an attack.

Destructive Blasts are also not classified as Weapons (Ranged RAYS are however Touch attacks don't qualify as weapons). So thats an alternate way to end the debate.

Otherwise Destructive blast could qualify for vital strike.
    A little condescending

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Further arguing has revealed that a major point of contention between us is whether or not Counter Punch requires the Attack action in the first place, since the specific phrasing is "make an attack with a light melee weapon."

One of us is of the mind that given how clear the rules in the rest of the Spheres system are about differentiating between Attacks, Special Attacks, and attacks that don't qualify as Attacks, it's clear that any sort of effect that generates an attack roll with a light weapon would do - if it was intended to only be the Attack action, that would have been more explicitly stated.

The other is of the opinion that this is a case of unclear communication, and that the intent for it to be restricted to Attack actions is contextually obvious. All it would have taken to make a clear statement murky in this case is missing the Shift key when typing the word attack in Counter Punch's description. Though obviously, the standard "as an attack action" patterning would have been the most explicit possible.

So, yeah.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Im not Adam Mayers but a Standard Action is not at attack action.

And Destructive blast is not an attack action. Its a standard action that causes an attack.

Destructive Blasts are also not classified as Weapons (Ranged RAYS are however Touch attacks don't qualify as weapons). So thats an alternate way to end the debate.

Otherwise Destructive blast could qualify for vital strike.
    "“Armed” Unarmed Attacks: Sometimes a character’s or
    creature’s unarmed attack counts as an armed attack. A
    monk, a character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat,
    a spellcaster delivering a touch attack spell, and a creature
    with natural physical weapons all count as being armed
    (see natural attacks)." - Pg. 182 of the Corebook.

Between that, and the fact that there are published examples of Paizo applying Weapon Finesse to touch attacks in creature entries (and weapon finesse may only be applied to light weapons or specific finesse weapons), I'm not sure what condition the destructive blast fails to meet, here?

That said, it's still not an actual Attack action, which means the Vital Strike concern is unfounded.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow thats nuts.
    A little condescending

23. - Top - End - #1283

The Spell Attack feat is how you turn a destructive blast into a special attack action, and requires you to be using the energy blade blast shape.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

When utilizing the Hybrid Transformation feat, does armor that would fit the new form still merge into uselessness? Additionally, since the actual creature is for most intents purely aesthetic, is it still bound by the HD=CL limit or can I choose to take the appearance of a creature with more HD, given that pretty much all the abilities are overridden by the forms abilities?
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2018-03-20 at 01:27 AM.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

25. - Top - End - #1285

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    When utilizing the Hybrid Transformation feat, does armor that would fit the new form still merge into uselessness?
    Officially yes. But the author of that feat is considering allowing to keep the armor and needs feedback if that works or not.

Additionally, since the actual creature is for most intents purely aesthetic, is it still bound by the HD=CL limit or can I choose to take the appearance of a creature with more HD, given that pretty much all the abilities are overridden by the forms abilities?
    The abilities scale with the CL and are the only benchmark how well your imitation of a great dragon works. But nothing stops you from pretending to be one.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    The abilities scale with the CL and are the only benchmark how well your imitation of a great dragon works. But nothing stops you from pretending to be one.
    I'm still a bit confused. So if I were to take a Brass Dragon as my Transformation, would I gain the actual abilities of the dragon, or just the abilities listed in the Dragon Form entry, with the scaling natural armor and breath weapon?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still a bit confused. So if I were to take a Brass Dragon as my Transformation, would I gain the actual abilities of the dragon, or just the abilities listed in the Dragon Form entry, with the scaling natural armor and breath weapon?
    gut feeling says you just get the appearance and need to pay more talents to mimic its abilities( from how to balance and create TTRPG 101)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

When utilizing the Hybrid Transformation feat, does armor that would fit the new form still merge into uselessness? Additionally, since the actual creature is for most intents purely aesthetic, is it still bound by the HD=CL limit or can I choose to take the appearance of a creature with more HD, given that pretty much all the abilities are overridden by the forms abilities?
    The transformation talents give you what they say they give you, no more. Many details are merely cosmetic. If a level 20 shifter uses draconic transformation plus flight from avian transformation and size change to become a brass wyrmling, you use the speed from the flight trait, the natural armor and breath weapon from draconic, etc. You do not reference the monster entry at all.

Armor merges unless using blank form. You could don appropriate armor after shifting.

29. - Top - End - #1289

Q393. Are there plans to revamp the Sphere Summoner archetype, or houserules that make them an equally good choice for a Conjuration specialist as an Incanter?

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I figured out why I thought there was a cleric archetype removing casting for martial stuff. The rub is that it was a third party archetype from Kobold Press https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/cor...s/weapon-sworn