New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Question 58:

Isn't the Armor Animated Object Option rediculously good in comparison to just about every other defensive option? Bonus HP as well as a large bonus to AC. On top of that it doesn't specify what size your allowed to wear. And so does an armor also add DR as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been thinking about making Empiricist Investigator SoP-compatible which means that I only need to replace the alchemy feature. So my question:

Q59: Is the investigator a pure Mid-Caster with a 15/20 talent progression? Or would you give him full CL for Divination as well?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Question 58:

Isn't the Armor Animated Object Option rediculously good in comparison to just about every other defensive option? Bonus HP as well as a large bonus to AC. On top of that it doesn't specify what size your allowed to wear. And so does an armor also add DR as well?
    I am sorry, what are you talking about as the "Armor Animated Object Option"?

Are you talking about using Animate Object on a suit of armor that you are wearing? If so, you are Entangled, and must make a Reflex save each round or else become Staggered. (Spheres of Power, pg 30)

Or are you talking about the CP Ability: Armor (Ex; 1 CP)? If so, you must understand that the verbage suggests that the animated object in question must already possess an armor bonus to grant one. For example, if you animate a set of Padded Armor, it will grant a +1 armor bonus to AC to its wearer, but if you were to animate a large quilt sheet and attempt to "don" it, it will not grant an armor bonus to AC, because it does not have one (natural AC is not the same as armor bonus, they are two separate types). (Enhancer's Handbook, pg25)

As for the size, normally suits of armor are considered to be the same size category as the creature they are built for, exceptions do exist. (Telekinetic's Handbook, pg 26); However, as a GM I would probably allow using Animate Object on Magical Items such as Bracer's of Armor, which I would probably consider each individually to be Diminutive size, but paired to be Tiny size. I also wouldn't bestow the entangled condition, but may still require the Reflex save vs Staggered condition.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    I've been thinking about making Empiricist Investigator SoP-compatible which means that I only need to replace the alchemy feature. So my question:

Q59: Is the investigator a pure Mid-Caster with a 15/20 talent progression? Or would you give him full CL for Divination as well?
    A59: The Psyforensic (Investigator Archetype) found in the Diviner's Handbook is compatible with the Empiricist Investigator. But if you only want to replace the alchemy feature, it would be a pure Mid-Caster with 15/20 talent progression.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    Or are you talking about the CP Ability: Armor (Ex; 1 CP)? If so, you must understand that the verbage suggests that the animated object in question must already possess an armor bonus to grant one. For example, if you animate a set of Padded Armor, it will grant a +1 armor bonus to AC to its wearer, but if you were to animate a large quilt sheet and attempt to "don" it, it will not grant an armor bonus to AC, because it does not have one (natural AC is not the same as armor bonus, they are two separate types). (Enhancer's Handbook, pg25)
    Makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

6. - Top - End - #126

Q60: For the purposes of the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, do the "Amateur Whatever" secrets count as tradition secrets? That is to say, can a rogue use that talent to gain (for example) Amateur Black Mage and the associated Oracle Curse? Also, are Grand Secrets eligible choices?
    Last edited by TheIronGolem; 2017-02-05 at 08:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Q60: For the purposes of the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, do the "Amateur Whatever" secrets count as tradition secrets? That is to say, can a rogue use that talent to gain (for example) Amateur Black Mage and the associated Oracle Curse? Also, are Grand Secrets eligible choices?
    A60 "Amateur X" secrets are not intended to be taken with the the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, Grand Secrets are also not eligible.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    A60 "Amateur X" secrets are not intended to be taken with the the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, Grand Secrets are also not eligible.
    Cool, thanks. Expect more Divination-related pestering in the next few weeks.

And on that note: Q61: Since Prescient Dodger acts a lot like the monk's AC bonus, should it interact with abilities that allow a monk to retain their AC bonus when armored and/or shielded?

9. - Top - End - #129

Q61: Since Prescient Dodger acts a lot like the monk's AC bonus, should it interact with abilities that allow a monk to retain their AC bonus when armored and/or shielded?
    A61: I am not familiar with any such abilities, but I dont think there should be any problem with Prescient Dodger interacting similarly. EDIT: Digiman619 is most likely correct in that there is probably an official FAQ on the matter that would prevent such interaction, but I am not familiar with the FAQ.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2017-02-06 at 12:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Cool, thanks. Expect more Divination-related pestering in the next few weeks.

And on that note: Q61: Since Prescient Dodger acts a lot like the monk's AC bonus, should it interact with abilities that allow a monk to retain their AC bonus when armored and/or shielded?
    RAW, no. A brawler's flurry is very similar to a flurry of blows, but magic items and prestige classes that advance it won't work for a brawler, as I was irritated to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q62: If I combine crystal blast or any other blast type that requires a reflex save with explosive orb, is there one saving throw or 2? What if I have orb expertise that increases the save DC for the orb, but shouldn't logically increase the save for the crystal blast?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    Q62: If I combine crystal blast or any other blast type that requires a reflex save with explosive orb, is there one saving throw or 2? What if I have orb expertise that increases the save DC for the orb, but shouldn't logically increase the save for the crystal blast?
    A62: Unfortunately, unlike most blast types, the 'creature that takes damage' language is not used, muddying the waters. I would rule that it should be a separate Reflex save, though combining them into one would be a perfectly reasonable houserule to streamline play. I will let Adam weigh in on if the distinction here is deliberate. Wording on the feat also specifies the orb blast shape, rather than blasts using the explosive orb blast shape. This was authorial oversight and will be added to the book's errata.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 63 How would one best make a Green Lantern style character with spheres, beyond the obvious bits (take Light and Creation spheres, the Hard Light feat, and the Focus Casting drawback)?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Question 64

In the dark sphere, do the negative effects from talents like snagging/looming/hungry darkness effect the caster as well? Do you need to take the Clearsight talent and cast it on yourself to avoid these effects?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Q65 how you say this class has both expert on combat and expert on magic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

A 64
    My reading of the book would suggest the darkness affects the caster fully, unless they have their own Clearsight up.
    The same as if a Wizard were to move into their own Black Tentacles spell.

I didn't see anything that said the spherecaster would have immunity to their own effects, as nice as that would be. That is aside from Clearsight, which has a spell point cost.
    Last edited by Ualaa; 2017-02-08 at 08:36 AM.
    ~ Ualaa

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    What do you mean with "class" exactly?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

C65 any thing from barbarian to expert aka all pc and npc classes
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

C65 any thing from barbarian to expert aka all pc and npc classes
    Your question seems to be missing something. Are you asking what class works best as a master of combat and magic? If so, various gish builds would be up for discussion, though out of the box I would say magus.
    Last edited by stack; 2017-02-08 at 10:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Your question seems to be missing something. Are you asking what class works best as a master of combat and magic? If so, various gish builds would be up for discussion, though out of thr box I would say magus.
    question 65 withdrawn as i can waith for the proper book to come( sphere magic and might fusion one).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    A 64
    My reading of the book would suggest the darkness affects the caster fully, unless they have their own Clearsight up.
    The same as if a Wizard were to move into their own Black Tentacles spell.

I didn't see anything that said the spherecaster would have immunity to their own effects, as nice as that would be. That is aside from Clearsight, which has a spell point cost.
    Thanks! I don't even have all of pathfinder's rules down 100% and have never played a Wizard.

Another Question, In the death sphere, does the basic exhausting strike (first ghost strike you learn) applying the automatic 1 round fatigue even upon a successful save always happen, or only if you spent your spell point to buff the spell to exhausted. (sorry for weird syntax)

Also in the death sphere, when it says multiple ghost strikes don't stack, lets say you cast exhausting strike on a target to fatigue them (no spell point) then next turn cast it again with a spell point for exhaustion, does this stack? This is mainly relevant for the purposes of The Killing Curse talent

22. - Top - End - #142

Q67: What kind of attack is Bludgeon from the Telekinesis sphere? Melee or ranged?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Q 63 How would one best make a Green Lantern style character with spheres, beyond the obvious bits (take Light and Creation spheres, the Hard Light feat, and the Focus Casting drawback)?
    A 63 I'd definitely suggest the Destruction sphere with the Energy Focus (Light) drawback. A standard destruction blast is very similar to a generic green lantern blast. The Illuminating Admixture feat will then let you use Light talents with your blasts.

As far as classes, I'd definitely suggest the ArmigerArmorist. Just fluff your weapons and armor as hard light. If you don't want that then I'd suggest at least a few Protection talents to give you that green lantern force field.
    Last edited by Omnificer; 2017-02-08 at 05:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Omnificer View Post
    As far as classes, I'd definitely suggest the Armiger.
    Don't you mean Armorist?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Don't you mean Armorist?
    I absolutely did, thank you for pointing that out.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Don't you mean Armorist?
    actualy armiger shows their kilowogg/ batman training and their odd dependence of barrage of weapons aspect

27. - Top - End - #147

Q68: If you use Alteration upon an incorporeal target, is it still incorporeal, or corporeal? As alteration states: "The target loses any extraordinary or supernatural abilities, natural attacks, and movement types dependent on their original form (darkvision, scent, wings, claws, etc.) and gains the listed benefits in their place." and Incorporeal under Universal Monster Rules is listed as an (Ex) Defensive Ability.
    Last edited by Doc_Maynot; 2017-02-09 at 03:05 AM.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

28. - Top - End - #148
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is there a few to get flight on a character without getting things like shapechanging or telekinesis which don't fit the concept?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Is there a few to get flight on a character without getting things like shapechanging or telekinesis which don't fit the concept?
    Well, let's see. What is the concept you're going for? Because it's pretty easy to refluff as appropriate, telekinesis being a lot easier for this.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

30. - Top - End - #150
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Well, let's see. What is the concept you're going for? Because it's pretty easy to refluff as appropriate, telekinesis being a lot easier for this.
    Mystical monk who uses ki and body-control to do his powers, so his powers only affect himself. Alternatively, fire elementalist who shoots fire to fly around....

Also, I don't really see how telekinesis is easier for refluffing considering most characters with flight in fiction don't have telekinesis....?
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2017-02-09 at 08:46 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png