Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 816
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Mystical monk who uses ki and body-control to do his powers, so his powers only affect himself. Alternatively, fire elementalist who shoots fire to fly around....

    Also, I don't really see how telekinesis is easier for refluffing considering most characters with flight in fiction don't have telekinesis....?
    The re-fluffing part is where you just don't call it telekinesis. Call it Ki. Telekinesis doesn't have very many drawbacks for some reason, but it might be reasonable to make up one that only affects creatures and then one where you can only affect yourself, similar to what Enhancement has, and then you limit yourself from taking the talents that don't fit the thematics of Ki.

    Beyond that, the Elementalist class can get a flight speed at level 7. It's meant to be based on air but there's no reason for it not to be fire jets.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Mystical monk who uses ki and body-control to do his powers, so his powers only affect himself. Alternatively, fire elementalist who shoots fire to fly around....

    Also, I don't really see how telekinesis is easier for refluffing considering most characters with flight in fiction don't have telekinesis....?
    Limited Telekinesis (self) drawback, with Flight as your bonus talent.

    Technically would need GM approval since Limited Telekinesis normally requires a "material" to be selected. You'd be effectively cutting yourself off from using Catch or Hostile Lift (and while you could use Bludgeon I wouldn't really recommend it), but that should be fine if those abilities don't fit your concept anyway. Plus it would make it easier to sell to a lot of GM's.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Omnificer View Post
    The re-fluffing part is where you just don't call it telekinesis. Call it Ki. Telekinesis doesn't have very many drawbacks for some reason, but it might be reasonable to make up one that only affects creatures and then one where you can only affect yourself, similar to what Enhancement has, and then you limit yourself from taking the talents that don't fit the thematics of Ki.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Limited Telekinesis (self) drawback, with Flight as your bonus talent.

    Technically would need GM approval since Limited Telekinesis normally requires a "material" to be selected. You'd be effectively cutting yourself off from using Catch or Hostile Lift (and while you could use Bludgeon I wouldn't really recommend it), but that should be fine if those abilities don't fit your concept anyway. Plus it would make it easier to sell to a lot of GM's.
    So no. You can't without homebrewing.

    Beyond that, the Elementalist class can get a flight speed at level 7. It's meant to be based on air but there's no reason for it not to be fire jets.
    Weird I must have been misremembering stuff from the Fire Warrior archetype and gotten mixed up.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2017-02-09 at 09:25 PM.
    Avatar by Aruius.

    Spoiler: Old Avatar
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    So no. You can't without homebrewing.
    Well, technically you don't need the drawback. You could just take TK sphere and the Flight talent, then never use the abilities on anyone but yourself. The drawback just cuts down on your talent expenditure.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Well, technically you don't need the drawback. You could just take TK sphere and the Flight talent, then never use the abilities on anyone but yourself. The drawback just cuts down on your talent expenditure.
    Except then I end up with a character who is going out of his way to be an idiot in having abilities he never uses.
    Avatar by Aruius.

    Spoiler: Old Avatar
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Except then I end up with a character who is going out of his way to be an idiot in having abilities he never uses.
    If he never uses it, how does he know he has it? A restriction imposed OoC can mean the ability doesn't exist IC.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Kelon by nijashe

    Extended Sig

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    If he never uses it, how does he know he has it? A restriction imposed OoC can mean the ability doesn't exist IC.
    A monk who spends all his time mastering his body and mind and trying to take them to their limits would probably realise if he has not only gained telekinetic ability, but had gained an advanced form of telekinetic ability.
    Avatar by Aruius.

    Spoiler: Old Avatar
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    What do you guys think of this boon?

    Magical Wellspring
    In a one week ritual, you may attune yourself to an immobile object or area measuring no larger than 10'x10'. This could be a shrine, an altar, a geyser, the entrance to a home, etc. You may have no more attuned locations than your casting modifier (minimum 1). If you go over this limit, or your casting stat is permanently reduced (via ability drain or removing a permanent boost to the stat), your connection with locations is broken until you are within your limit (you choose which connections are severed).
    While within 100' of your attuned location, you gain +1 caster level. While within 10' of your attuned location, you gain +2 to your caster level.
    Last edited by legomaster00156; 2017-02-10 at 12:38 AM.
    Extended Signature

    Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12
    There is only one weapon which is always good in all situations: a spell. You are playing a warlock, who cannot cast spells. Welcome to the world of the fighter. We have goblets of Bitter Tears of Sorrow, freshly shed by those who spent all their feats and class features to specialise in melee weapons and faced flying foes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    EldritchWeaver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    A monk who spends all his time mastering his body and mind and trying to take them to their limits would probably realise if he has not only gained telekinetic ability, but had gained an advanced form of telekinetic ability.
    That's assuming that the monk has access to that ability in the first place. Even if he technically has, you can still override this, as mentioned before. Or trade the unused parts out for stuff you use. Shouldn't be that difficult to convince your GM.

    Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    What do you guys think of this boon?

    Magical Wellspring
    In a one week ritual, you may attune yourself to an immobile object or area measuring no larger than 10'x10'. This could be a shrine, an altar, a geyser, the entrance to a home, etc. You may have no more attuned locations than your casting modifier (minimum 1). If you go over this limit, or your casting stat is permanently reduced (via ability drain or removing a permanent boost to the stat), your connection with locations is broken until you are within your limit (you choose which connections are severed).
    While within 100' of your attuned location, you gain +1 caster level. While within 10' of your attuned location, you gain +2 to your caster level.
    I'm torn on this. On the one hand, this looks more as a NPC thing, as PCs travel around. On the other hand, +2 CL to all spheres is very strong, nothing grants such a bonus for SoP (Magical Knack is disallowed). Effectively, it is both too useful as well too useless, unless you have a mean to access it from a far (like that travel acorn from 3.5). I would change things a bit, namely that it only grants +1 CL to one sphere, you can't get attuned to one sphere more than once, the locations are restricted to GM-defined places of power and otherwise no range limitation (or at most on this plane).
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    That's assuming that the monk has access to that ability in the first place. Even if he technically has, you can still override this, as mentioned before. Or trade the unused parts out for stuff you use. Shouldn't be that difficult to convince your GM.
    Nah, no houserules are allowed in the current situation (making a 15th level monk with every class in my setting), so I was hoping for there to have been something in the text that I missed (like error I made with elementalist).
    Avatar by Aruius.

    Spoiler: Old Avatar
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentama View Post
    Another Question, In the death sphere, does the basic exhausting strike (first ghost strike you learn) applying the automatic 1 round fatigue even upon a successful save always happen, or only if you spent your spell point to buff the spell to exhausted. (sorry for weird syntax)

    Also in the death sphere, when it says multiple ghost strikes don't stack, lets say you cast exhausting strike on a target to fatigue them (no spell point) then next turn cast it again with a spell point for exhaustion, does this stack? This is mainly relevant for the purposes of The Killing Curse talent
    A 65
    My reading would be that the free version causes fatigue (for a round per Caster Level), but that can be negated with a Fortitude Save.

    The spell point version causes exhaustion (for a minute per Caster Level), but that can be reduced to one round of fatigue, with a successful Fortitude Save.

    There would not be a round of automatic fatigue on the non-spell point version.



    Regarding: Ghost Strike effects do not stack with themselves.

    I'm reading this as the effect does not stack with itself -- not that it cannot be reapplied.

    So if two apprentice necromancers of the same caster level (let's say CL 5) both hit you with an exhausting strike (no spell points invested in the strike) in the same combat round, and you fail the save both times, the duration is five rounds not ten rounds.
    If the master (CL 15) then hit you with the same strike, the duration would be 15 rounds from the time of their successful strike (and your failed save).
    Basically, you're getting the worse duration but not a stacking duration.

    It's also worth noting, normally if you're fatigued and are hit with another effect that causes fatigue, the result is exhaustion.
    But Ghost Strike specifically doesn't stack with itself, so a new fatigue causing Ghost Strike would not worsen an already fatigued target to an exhausted state.

    As far as penalties go, exhaustion is worse than fatigue so if you were both exhausted and fatigued from different sources (or both a non-spell point version and a spell point version of Exhausting Strike), I'd only apply the penalties of exhaustion to the target.

    For Killing Strike, it's not going to matter which ghost strikes landed, as long as three have had their saving throws failed, within a fixed one minute (10 combat rounds) time period.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Q67: What kind of attack is Bludgeon from the Telekinesis sphere? Melee or ranged?
    You could semantically argue it is both, as it is taking place at 'range' from you, but as far as game mechanics go I would call it a melee attack.

    You're striking a target with a (telekinetically) wielded object, not firing a projectile from a ranged weapon or throwing a spear etc.

    You're using your BAB + Casting Modifier, not STR/DEX mod to that attack roll.
    So the distinction between melee or ranged doesn't make a huge difference here.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    I'm torn on this. On the one hand, this looks more as a NPC thing, as PCs travel around. On the other hand, +2 CL to all spheres is very strong, nothing grants such a bonus for SoP (Magical Knack is disallowed). Effectively, it is both too useful as well too useless, unless you have a mean to access it from a far (like that travel acorn from 3.5). I would change things a bit, namely that it only grants +1 CL to one sphere, you can't get attuned to one sphere more than once, the locations are restricted to GM-defined places of power and otherwise no range limitation (or at most on this plane).
    As a matter of fact, there is something like it. I based the balance of this boon on the balance of the Deathful Magic and Empowered Abilities boons. The idea is indeed to mainly help with the NPC "shrine guardian" archetype, though I can see a particular font of power needing GM approval.
    Extended Signature

    Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12
    There is only one weapon which is always good in all situations: a spell. You are playing a warlock, who cannot cast spells. Welcome to the world of the fighter. We have goblets of Bitter Tears of Sorrow, freshly shed by those who spent all their feats and class features to specialise in melee weapons and faced flying foes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    A 65

    ...

    For Killing Strike, it's not going to matter which ghost strikes landed, as long as three have had their saving throws failed, within a fixed one minute (10 combat rounds) time period.
    Great thanks! That's mostly what I was curious about, if it was possible to effectively utilize killing curse without spending any other talents in the sphere, and it seems like you can, as long as you can consistently beat the fort save. :)

    I'm considering a thaumaturge with death and warp

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Q69 If I have the Life sphere and the Brew Potion feat, can I make a Life potion that uses talents I don't have other than the base sphere the same way I can use spell completion items using only the base sphere?

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground
     
    digiman619's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    A player in my game is rolling a Shabti, and I ruled that, in exchange for his suggestion SLA, he could take the Mind sphere with a custom drawback that limited him to humanoids (Shabti are outsiders). Did I make a good swap?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    Avatar by Coronalwave
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    A player in my game is rolling a Shabti, and I ruled that, in exchange for his suggestion SLA, he could take the Mind sphere with a custom drawback that limited him to humanoids (Shabti are outsiders). Did I make a good swap?
    I would say that's fair. Animal Mind limits you to animals and vermin, so limiting you to one group (albeit a much larger one) doesn't seem unreasonable.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Both of my questions concern comparing the Hedgewitch with a standard class with the Sphere Casting archetype

    Q70 A Hedgewitch with the covenant secret gains an aura and included in that aura is the ability to detect opposite alignment without taking the divine sphere. Shouldn't the Cleric/Warpriest/whatever other class that gains an aura gain the same benefit?

    Q71 The Hedgewitch with the combat secret gains an arcane pool to do typical Magus things with (enchant his weapon being the biggest one). However, the Magus archetype replaces the arcane pool with the spool pool for doing Magus things. Shouldn't they work the same? Either the Magus should continue to get the arcane pool for enchanting his weapon like the Hedgewitch, or the Hedgewitch should have to use their spell pool to enchant their weapon like the Magus. Or am I missing something simple here?

    BTW, Hedgewitch is absolutely my favorite sphere class. It's so incredibly versatile.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Q72 Was it a conscious decision to make the Sphere Casting Magus incompatible with all other archetypes? I'd love to combine Sphere Casting with say a Bladebound Magus but they aren't compatible because they both modify the arcane pool.

    Now, I grant it may just be Hero Lab being very literal and if the intent was not to make Sphere Casting incompatible with all other archetypes, I'll file a request with the maintainer of Hero Lab to make the modifications. But, to me it seems better to make the Magus work like the Combat Secret Hedgewitch and just give them their Arcane Pool back since really the only thing they'll be using it for is enhancing their weapon.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    I apologize for how long it's been since I've come here. I have a new daughter who only seems to sleep when strapped to my chest, and between that and trying to find time for all of my various gaming projects, I'm sorry that visiting this thread has been the thing that's fallen through the cracks.

    Q 34 Is it possible to have magic items with metamagic feats built into their effects?


    All magic item creation rules, both in SoP and core, are suggestions only; magic can do whatever you want, the only question is how much it costs. Personally I'd rule it increases the complexity by an amount equal to the level increase of the feat, but others can disagree with me if they have a better formulae.

    Q 36 This is more of a comment. What are your thoughts on adding an Orison feat similar to the cantrip feat but more in line with the orisons that divine casters get?

    The cantrip feat was designed to cover all of that, but if you identify things it doesn't do that orisons do and want to make a separate feat, that sounds good.

    Q41 If I was to make a wondrous item item based on the extradimensional storage talent, would the uses per day indicate times per day that I can draw from it or place things in? If so, how would I make it so that I could have a continuous, at will, extradimensional storage.

    permanent items are made with the Craft Rod feat in SoP; otherwise, I think the core item rules are once it reaches 5 uses per day it's pretty much treated as permanent.

    Q43: Staves. The bonus cost for applying an enhancement bonus to another sphere is +1. Is that enhancement bonus the same bonus as the first sphere, or is it separate? As in, could I have a +10 staff that gives me a +5 bonus to 6 spheres, or is the best I could do a +5 bonus to 2 spheres or some dispersion thereof?

    Spheres of Power has been evolving over time as we see it play out across hundreds of tables and collect their feedback. The interpretation you have been given is correct, but you are right about it being nicer the other way, and therefore that just might change for the future.

    Edit: Answer you've been giving referring to 'you would have to pay for each sphere individually, meaning a +5 destruction/creation staff is a +10 overall for pricing purposes.

    Q47 The Dual Channeler "counts as worshipping any deity and possessing any alignment when meeting the prerequisites for channeling feats."

    Does this apply to Variant Channeling, allowing them to select any option?


    Unless the GM has one that specifically only applies to a certian deity, then yes, you can take any variant channeling.

    Q54: The Thaumaturge can use two archetypes simultaneously, the Devourer archetype and the Pact Mage Archetype.

    From the Devourer:
    "Whenever the devourer scores a confirmed critical hit against a living enemy or reduces a living enemy to 0 or fewer hit points, he can steal some of that creature’s energy. The devourer may use his forbidden lore the next round without any fear of backlash."

    From the Pact Mage (Infernal Pact):
    "Dark Lore: At 14th level, when using forbidden lore, you may use an invocation to increase your forbidden lore bonus by +4 and negate the need to roll for failure. However, after completing your action, you automatically suffer backlash penalty."

    Can these two be used together? If so, do you suffer backlash penalty?


    I would argue no; the first ability removes the chance of a backlash, but the second ability is automatic backlash, no chance involved.

    @Sky: Jedi Archetype That sounds doable, but I would need to test before I could give it a full endorsement, so let me know how it goes!

    @Scowling Dragon

    Alright, I find myself in kinda a bind.

    One of my players wants to play a "Plantomancer" a character that sculpts plants and uses them to create magic tech and such.

    The problem for me is where this intersects between Living (Alteration Sphere), Object (Creation Sphere) or Plant (Nature Sphere).

    Does he use animate object to replicate this? When they are animated do they heal with heal? Or mend?

    Its all very confusing.


    That is a matter entirely of how the player wants to accomplish it. You can animate plants as animated objects with Enhancement. However, the concept sounds more like an armorist, possibly the Symbiotic Knight archetype if she wants to have one plant that grows to form her equipment for her.

    Q55: The alchemist discovery "Hedgewitch Secret" states "The alchemist may gain a hedgewitch secret, having an effective hedgewitch level equal to its alchemist level. The alchemist must have sphere casting capability in order to select this discovery. You may select this alchemist discovery multiple times, each time selecting a different hedgewitch secret."

    The rogue talent version states "A rogue with this talent may gain a hedgewitch non-tradition secret, having an effective hedgewitch level equal to its rogue level. You may select this rogue talent multiple times, each time selecting a different hedgewitch secret. A rogue must be able to use sphere talents and abilities to select this talent."

    Does this distinction mean that, for example, a Rogue with casting could not take Priestly Initiate followed by Extra Healing, but that an Alchemist could?


    Technically yes, that is what that means. I'd have to ask the author about intent, but personally I have no problem if you were to make those the same across the board, though.

    @Warriorking9001:

    I was curious as to whether you could take bound equipment twice for the same item... Let me explain what I mean.

    Let's say I have a level 10 human armorist looking to take a staff as his next bound item.

    Could he instead use the bound item slot to gain the benefits of the staff with his longsword?


    No; you could't bind the same weapon twice as both things. That being said, double weapons are a thing already, so I don't think you'd be breaking the world if you houseruled you could enchant the weapon and a gem in its hilt as a staff or something. I would argue though that summoning it should take twice as long, and I would have the GM keep an eye on it, so the minute a player starts arguing 'why can't I enchant armor twice as well?', he can stop it from getting out of hand.

    Question 57A and B

    Create Creature uses 2 spell points to make a body for 1 hour per level (it should have lingering creation as a prerequisite, sorry about that mistake), then adds the animate object enhancement in as well, which is worth 2 complexity, increasing the total cost to 3 sp and the casting time to a full-round action. The other spells follow a similar pattern.

    Q67: What kind of attack is Bludgeon from the Telekinesis sphere? Melee or ranged?


    Ranged as base, unless you have the talent to make it count as a melee attack.

    Q68: If you use Alteration upon an incorporeal target, is it still incorporeal, or corporeal? As alteration states: "The target loses any extraordinary or supernatural abilities, natural attacks, and movement types dependent on their original form (darkvision, scent, wings, claws, etc.) and gains the listed benefits in their place." and Incorporeal under Universal Monster Rules is listed as an (Ex) Defensive Ability.

    That's one of those problems that always crops up when you try to make auniversal rule, like we did with Alteration. Technically you might be right there, but that was not the intention. incorporeal is an exception to most rules, and I would apply that exception here as well.

    @Milo v3: As for the telekinesis question, one of the points of SoP is to make it as easy as possible to alter to fit your needs; if you want a telekinesis drawback that isn't in the book, you can write it yourself with the most minimal of time investments. I see no reason the drawback presented wouldn't work.

    @legomaster00156: It needs a time limit for how long it takes to attune to a location, as well as the ability drop a location. Also needs a line specifying that this bonus doesn't stack when you're near two locations.

    The problem is that it might end up too easy to game; depending on how long it takes to bind/drop, you could just leave a location open to bind wherever you are when you need to cast.

    If you can fix it, though, I think it could work as a concept. It would depend on those details as mentioned above, though.

    Q69 If I have the Life sphere and the Brew Potion feat, can I make a Life potion that uses talents I don't have other than the base sphere the same way I can use spell completion items using only the base sphere?

    Technically no according to core; scrolls and potions are the exception to the usual rule that you can add talents you don't have. That, however, has always struck me as a dumb distinction; I certainly won't complain if you rule otherwise.

    @digiman619: the Mind sphere only affects your creature type at default, so no such drawback is needed; unless he takes the talent for expanding targets, outsiders would be his only valid target in the beginning.

    Q70 A Hedgewitch with the covenant secret gains an aura and included in that aura is the ability to detect opposite alignment without taking the divine sphere. Shouldn't the Cleric/Warpriest/whatever other class that gains an aura gain the same benefit?


    The ability to sense alignments is not part of the aura, but a combination of having an aura and the paladin's ability to sense evil, expanded to include all opposed alignments.

    Q71 The Hedgewitch with the combat secret gains an arcane pool to do typical Magus things with (enchant his weapon being the biggest one). However, the Magus archetype replaces the arcane pool with the spool pool for doing Magus things. Shouldn't they work the same? Either the Magus should continue to get the arcane pool for enchanting his weapon like the Hedgewitch, or the Hedgewitch should have to use their spell pool to enchant their weapon like the Magus. Or am I missing something simple here?

    Almost every power the magus possesses is a method to spend arcane points to regain spells; it seemed superfluous to divide the arcane pool and the spell pool, when almost every magus power would be about making one count as the other anyway.

    Q72 Was it a conscious decision to make the Sphere Casting Magus incompatible with all other archetypes? I'd love to combine Sphere Casting with say a Bladebound Magus but they aren't compatible because they both modify the arcane pool.


    That was not the intention, no, just a side effect of our efforts to make a sphere magus make sense (see the answer above). I know that technically that means the magus can't use archetypes and we might errata the archetype when we have the time to come up with something better, but I have no problem adjusting archetypes to work with the sphere magus.
    Last edited by Adam Meyers; 2017-02-14 at 05:44 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    @Milo v3: As for the telekinesis question, one of the points of SoP is to make it as easy as possible to alter to fit your needs; if you want a telekinesis drawback that isn't in the book, you can write it yourself with the most minimal of time investments. I see no reason the drawback presented wouldn't work.
    Yeah it's a very mutable system, it's just a matter of my current situation not allowing for homebrew (making a 15th level "monk" with every class available in my campaign and having them all fight), which is why I needed to check to make sure I wasn't misreading some text somewhere. Were it a "normal" situation, I'm sure it'd be resolved within 15 seconds.
    Avatar by Aruius.

    Spoiler: Old Avatar
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc_Maynot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    Q68: If you use Alteration upon an incorporeal target, is it still incorporeal, or corporeal? As alteration states: "The target loses any extraordinary or supernatural abilities, natural attacks, and movement types dependent on their original form (darkvision, scent, wings, claws, etc.) and gains the listed benefits in their place." and Incorporeal under Universal Monster Rules is listed as an (Ex) Defensive Ability.

    That's one of those problems that always crops up when you try to make auniversal rule, like we did with Alteration. Technically you might be right there, but that was not the intention. incorporeal is an exception to most rules, and I would apply that exception here as well.

    Q68 Addendum:
    Then is there any plans for anything in the Spheres system to be able to make incorporeal things corporeal? Because while a 15th level caster can make someone incorporeal, as far as I can see, the reverse is impossible. That is, unless the creature is incorporeal due to being in the Etherial plane or something similar, warping there, and then trying to warp them back to the material plane.
    Last edited by Doc_Maynot; 2017-02-12 at 12:16 AM.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    Q 36 This is more of a comment. What are your thoughts on adding an Orison feat similar to the cantrip feat but more in line with the orisons that divine casters get?

    The cantrip feat was designed to cover all of that, but if you identify things it doesn't do that orisons do and want to make a separate feat, that sounds good.


    Q70 A Hedgewitch with the covenant secret gains an aura and included in that aura is the ability to detect opposite alignment without taking the divine sphere. Shouldn't the Cleric/Warpriest/whatever other class that gains an aura gain the same benefit?


    The ability to sense alignments is not part of the aura, but a combination of having an aura and the paladin's ability to sense evil, expanded to include all opposed alignments.

    Q71 The Hedgewitch with the combat secret gains an arcane pool to do typical Magus things with (enchant his weapon being the biggest one). However, the Magus archetype replaces the arcane pool with the spool pool for doing Magus things. Shouldn't they work the same? Either the Magus should continue to get the arcane pool for enchanting his weapon like the Hedgewitch, or the Hedgewitch should have to use their spell pool to enchant their weapon like the Magus. Or am I missing something simple here?

    Almost every power the magus possesses is a method to spend arcane points to regain spells; it seemed superfluous to divide the arcane pool and the spell pool, when almost every magus power would be about making one count as the other anyway.

    Q72 Was it a conscious decision to make the Sphere Casting Magus incompatible with all other archetypes? I'd love to combine Sphere Casting with say a Bladebound Magus but they aren't compatible because they both modify the arcane pool.


    That was not the intention, no, just a side effect of our efforts to make a sphere magus make sense (see the answer above). I know that technically that means the magus can't use archetypes and we might errata the archetype when we have the time to come up with something better, but I have no problem adjusting archetypes to work with the sphere magus.
    On the Cantrip/Orison it's really a matter of what a divine caster focuses on vs what an arcane caster focuses on. Yes, there is some crossover, but, for example, a Cleric has Stabilize, Create water, Purify Food and Drink, Guidance, Vigor, and Virtue.

    On the Arcane Pool for the Magus: Why give the Combat Secret Hedgewitch an Arcane Pool then? Shouldn't the same argument apply? And the Arcanist keeps his Arcane Reservoir that serves a similar function to the Magus' Arcane Pool. Wouldn't it be similar to the Eldritch Scion which removes Spell Recall, and Improved Spell Recall, and Knowledge Pool?

    Thanks for designing this. I really do love the system.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Can a creature belong to more than one Squadron at a time?

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Aoleleb View Post
    Can a creature belong to more than one Squadron at a time?
    Q/C69 can you explain a little mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Aoleleb View Post
    Can a creature belong to more than one Squadron at a time?
    Yes, they can.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    No; you could't bind the same weapon twice as both things. That being said, double weapons are a thing already, so I don't think you'd be breaking the world if you houseruled you could enchant the weapon and a gem in its hilt as a staff or something. I would argue though that summoning it should take twice as long, and I would have the GM keep an eye on it, so the minute a player starts arguing 'why can't I enchant armor twice as well?', he can stop it from getting out of hand.
    True, I guess I understand how it could get out of hand with the ability to enchant a lot multiple times. and I can understand potential balance issues (If you can summon your bound equipment and give it staff properties, no one would actually make a staff summon and would just enchant their weapons), and if/when I GM a game I'll certainly keep a careful eye out for someone trying to abuse it (but players I'd run with would probably be somewhat new anyway and not munchkin-y enough to REALLY try to abuse it)

    The actual character concept I specifically had for this idea was a tiefling armorist summoning weapons from his demonic forbears and loved the fluff idea of his primary weapon also containing power that would allow him to become more effective at throwing fire around through the pit fiend's blade.

    I also have another balance question though in the form of a homebrew question. I understand if this isn't the place though.

    I had this idea for an arsenal trick but don't know if it could potentially be completely broken (and don't have the experience of how to really test it)

    Armorist’s Gun: You gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms)

    Infinite Marksman: (Prerequisite: 15th level): Any ranged weapon with a reload time that you summon (Or on a less powerful version, your Bound weapons) gains the boon of the Pistol of the Infinite Skies (Ultimate Combat).

    I'm not sure if this is overpowered or okay... (Though I'll say the logic behind it that pretty much every character specializing in firearms is going to buy the PotIS or some equivalent to this by the time they can afford it, hence it's not 'that' bad to allow an armorist PC to summon this item)
    Last edited by Warriorking9001; 2017-02-14 at 05:16 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    EldritchWeaver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Q/C69 can you explain a little mate.
    That's part of the War HB.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Q/C69 can you explain a little mate.
    I assume he's referred to the Squadron Commander feat from the War handbook.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    I assume he's referred to the Squadron Commander feat from the War handbook.
    I asked the question to post previous to mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •