New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Fear of homelessness

So... What should I do?
    I'm unemployed, dropped out of highschool due to family issues(and am 22 now, and haven't managed to get enough time for a GED), and due to my life kinda sorta going to heck, I may very possibly find myself without a home on the 27th. How do I handle this kind of fear? I mean, maybe I can find a relative to let me stay with them while I get things organized... But still...
    Just... Having some stability, and enough time to start transition(MtF), get a GED, and either schooling or a job. I really hope I will someday be able to reach that point... I could really due with some hugs and reassurances that my life might get better someday.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fear of homelessness

*Hugs*

We care about you here, and I'm sure there are people in your real life who care about you too. You might have some tough times ahead, but you'll make it through. If you want to PM, Skype, or anything really, I'm here to help however I can.

You'll make it through.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

I'd say you handle it by making sure you have a backup plan. Speak to your relatives *now* and ensure you have one of them you can go to on the 27th if the worst happens. If it doesn't happen, so much the better, but knowing you've got a plan if it *does* will help dispel the uncertainty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So... What should I do?
    I'm unemployed, dropped out of highschool due to family issues(and am 22 now, and haven't managed to get enough time for a GED), and due to my life kinda sorta going to heck, I may very possibly find myself without a home on the 27th. How do I handle this kind of fear? I mean, maybe I can find a relative to let me stay with them while I get things organized... But still...
    Just... Having some stability, and enough time to start transition(MtF), get a GED, and either schooling or a job. I really hope I will someday be able to reach that point... I could really due with some hugs and reassurances that my life might get better someday.
    I was unaware of the below posts when they were made.
    So my family, me, my kid sister, and my mother, are in a rough spot money-wise.
    We're still in the middle of moving, and trying to find a home, and hopefully recover enough for a job for her to become a safe option again, as well as to stabilize things enough for me to seek out my own goals.
    Due to this, she set up a Gofundme page a few days ago.
    I took a look at the updates on the GoFundMe account, but did not see anything more recent. Perhaps you could encourage your mother to post a new one? The last didn't seem to have a deadline to it. "The most critical phase of this is over," might have mislead some to think things were solved.

If it comes to it, I can't say I know what community resources might be available to you. I'm aware of Chicago House specifically because Lana Wachowski brought some visibility to the opening of their TransLife Center, but it still seems to be reported as fairly unique (at least, within Midwestern USA). ShelterListings has a page for Washington; I don't know if Housing Hope is in your area, but it stuck out to me for mentioning low-cost housing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Things are... Looking up a little. Not a ton, but I've managed to break through the depression so I can actually work more on finding a solution.
    Thank you all for the support.
    Last edited by Togath; 2016-12-24 at 04:39 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm glad to hear that! We all hope the best for you.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I'm glad to hear that! We all hope the best for you.
    If you find yourself homeless, then head to Utah. I understand that they have really good homeless programs.

This clip may have some good stuff in it (quick google search):

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100...cent-heres-how

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Drawing closer to homelessness for a while...
    Not long enough to move anywhere, just, like, for a week or two.
    Meow(Steam page)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Just checking to see how you've been doing, in hopes that things are looking better here in the new year.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

You may find this article helpful. I haven't read it myself (hope to today, now that I found it), but it was written by someone I know who worked with a feeding-the-homeless group and who lived homeless for a few days to help get to know the people better. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-b..._b_495952.html

The advice above sounds good. I've never been homeless, but from what I've heard talking with homeless people and those working with them, it sounds sound. The risk of being mugged is high. I don't know how legit this plan would be, but maybe carry a 'dummy' wallet and phone, with just a few bucks. A broken phone if you can find one. If someone mugs you, give them those. Keep your real ones in a deeper layer's pocket or in your socks or something. (Maybe someone has more practical advice.)
    Especially keep your ID somewhere safe. I've heard several stories where it's almost impossible to replace an ID if stolen if you don't have an ID or address.

Most libraries are safe, air-conditioned places to hang out during the day. Also, check now what the 'feeding the homeless' areas and times are. You can likely find a number of good meals through the week to supplement whatever you can find otherwise.
    I'd also recommend reading up on dumpster diving for food, so that you know how to do so safely. I've eaten a fair bit of food a friend of mine would dumpster dive for, and never had problems, but he knew what he was doing. Sometimes places like Dominio's will throw out pizzas as they close, and you can find whole pizzas in the box. (Though I reckon it might be dangerous to hang out nearby, as the clerks might call the cops if they see you lingering and others probably have already scoped out that location.) But if you are up a couple hours after the place closes, you might find a pizza or two left over.

If anyone with real experience thinks I'm giving bad advice, please correct it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Just realized I should let people know, I'm finally stable and safe, living with my aunt.
    I never ended up quite homeless... buuut there were a lot of times I was close.
    Being safe also finally gives me time to recover from a month long flu, a burst ear drum, three sprained ankles(in one month), and a possibly broken rib(or two). And a minor concussion.
    I... kiiinda overworked myself in december.
    Meow(Steam page)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized I should let people know, I'm finally stable and safe.....
    Happy to learn that you now feel safe!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Glad to hear that you are safe and not homeless. I assume that includes your mother and lil' sister as well?

Hopefully you and your family are able to get on your feet and enjoy your lives. *hugs*

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

They are. Things are still a little chaotic, but they're finally getting a chance to slow down and relax. Even our dog seems to be calming down now that they're out of the apartments we lived in. The fact that we finally got them a jacket seems to be helping too.
    Plus we live in a place with a yard now, so I can finally start gardening again.
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-02-25 at 02:33 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)