New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default How to write a novel?

I know my story, I have a feel for my characters, I know where all the emotional story beats are in this thing. Now all that remains is to... actually write the darn thing. Eep.

I try writing at home, but there's too many distractions. I try writing at work, but the flow of customers coming in makes it impossible to gain any focus. I do write at the library, but it's not like I can just spend every day there. How does one set about on the arduous task of writing a novel?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: How to write a novel?

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I know my story, I have a feel for my characters, I know where all the emotional story beats are in this thing. Now all that remains is to... actually write the darn thing. Eep.

I try writing at home, but there's too many distractions. I try writing at work, but the flow of customers coming in makes it impossible to gain any focus. I do write at the library, but it's not like I can just spend every day there. How does one set about on the arduous task of writing a novel?
    Combining and paraphrasing the advice I've seen repeatedly from interviews and accounts by professional authors, what it boils down to is this: you just have to sit down and write the novel. Whatever you can do to motivate yourself to write, do it. For some, that's a certain word count or page count per day. Others set aside a certain amount of time per day. I'm sure there are other methods. Also, don't let "writer's block" stop you. If you are stuck on a scene, try a different approach to the scene, or go write a different scene, or a different character, or something, anything, as long as you're writing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Neil Gaiman summed it up like this:

Write.
    Finish what you start.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Writing is best done as the sole task at hand. Don't do it at work. At home, set aside an hour every day to focus on the writing, leaving chores for after (or finish em sooner) and ensuring others in the house know not to disturb you. You may still get distracted sometimes, but that's okay, no process is perfect. Also, find the way of writing that suits you best. I found that doing a first draft for each chapter on paper, writing in pen (so I cannot erase it), made it gi a lot faster for me, as the thoughts could flow out at the same speed as I could write, and my focus improved. Other options are computer, tablet, phone or typewriter, all with their own pros and cons. (Phones are excellent for quick notes during the day to save for later for your hour of writing.) Don't fuss about little details that aren't directly related to writing unless you are certain they improve your process more than they distract you (like getting a cup of coffee first).
    Go.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've found NaNoWriMo really useful for providing motivation, momentum and routine - their forums are really useful too. They run it in spring and summer as well, as Camp NaNoWriMo.

You really do just have to set aside time every day to sit down and write. If the page is blank, just spew out words; they don't have to be good. Editing comes later: resist the temptation to edit as you go! Get the first draft written first, then go back and re-write it.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with what people said...

First point is: just write. Write something. Write a draft for a scene you know will happen. Edit a scene you know how to improve. Write a line out for a part or a character. If you have your story planned out, you don't need to go in order. Just write your favourite first.

Second: do it daily. It doesn't matter how much, but like an hour or 500 words or so. Every day unless there is a really good reason not to. It need not be good, it need not t be final. It must be written.

Third: write however. Find what suits you. When, where, how. E.g. I can hardly write on something else than my computer. Maybe pen but only for notes. But that is totally personal.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy

Let me offer some more specific advice, which is to find a nonprofit writing center in your area. I'm very fortunate to have one not far from me, with a wide selection of classes on fiction and nonfiction, plus tuition assistance for anyone who needs it.

I can tell you from experience that receiving constructive critique on early drafts is absolutely invaluable, for any number of reasons. A writing center will also have classes and seminars bearing directly on your immediate question, which is how to find that space and time to focus on your writing. This is something we all have to struggle with. A writing center will give you a place to share that struggle with people who understand it from long experience, and who can help you work out the best approach for your own situation.

Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    I found that doing a first draft for each chapter on paper, writing in pen (so I cannot erase it), made it g[o] a lot faster for me, as the thoughts could flow out at the same speed as I could write, and my focus improved.
    I'll second the value of writing by hand. Everyone has their own approach, but writing a first draft by hand gives me time to think about the words as they spin themselves on the page.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Try music. There's something about the way that the human brain juggles its processes that makes listening to music help people focus. Nothing with lyrics, mind you, or at least lyrics that you can understand. If you are paying attention to lyrics, then the part of your brain that is responsible with processing language will be distracted from putting words to paper. (Or words to a screen, or whatever you're using.) Try classical music, or perhaps background music from video games. You can find video game music posted on YouTube in loops that are hours long. And no rap. Rap doesn't have a melody so your brain does not get engaged in the same way and it is too dependent on lyrics.

If that doesn't work, then disconnect your internet connection to prevent distractions and just hunker down and get to it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

it so happens that my favorite novel is 'naked lunch', written by a guy out of his mind on heroin. also, colerige 'kubla khan'. so, i'm a psychonaut, i tried it. and damn, it worked. i sat at the computer for four hours and wrote from the novel-in-my-head. a chapter, even. and when i came down and reviewed it, yeah, needed editing, but it was better than anything i'd ever written before. i flowed, the played joyfully with language, symbols arose inbetween the lines, etc......so one summer (grad school) i tried it, bought a huge amount of pharmaceutical morphine and dialaudid. i managed about six chapters over a month before i messed up my arms so bad i had to go to the er. diabetics should not be iv drug users. i kicked and gave it up.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Try music. There's something about the way that the human brain juggles its processes that makes listening to music help people focus. Nothing with lyrics, mind you
    This works for me (I use Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky) but I've heard a lot of people say it doesn't. Different people focus in different ways.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: I have an idea for a minor antagonist to be armed with a club with the stone on the end being a chunk of sharpened diamond. Could this work as a weapon, or is diamond to brittle to hit someone with?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Question: I have an idea for a minor antagonist to be armed with a club with the stone on the end being a chunk of sharpened diamond. Could this work as a weapon, or is diamond to brittle to hit someone with?
    I'm not a student of material sciences, but a quick google search suggests that diamond is too brittle for large pieces of it to last for any amount of time as a weapon, especially in a club/mace/axe style setting (I found multiple comments talking about how you could shatter diamond with an ordinary tool hammer). You'd be better off with some diamond edges for slashing (similar to aztec-era obsidian swords).

A bit of magic could potentially fix that, of course.
    Last edited by tiornys; 2016-12-30 at 01:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

From what I recall, diamond isn't especially brittle, but it has fault lines and weaknesses that can cause it to split if you hit them just right. The value of diamond (and sapphire) is in their hardness; edges made from them stay sharp for longer than (say) steel.

The best materials for clubs and maces are heavy (i.e. dense), like lead, gold or platinum. Strength can also help; if you're hitting someone wearing plate armour, you want to be able to dent and distort the armour (lead and gold are pretty soft; the dents would all be in your club rather than the target).

At the end of the day, the most cost-effective options are going to be iron and steel.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair