New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default How not to roll, an exercise in reducing variance

Ok heres the idea. I am known at my table for having d20 rolls so bad that im pretty sure i create mini distortions in the space time that have a black hole affect on probability. 8 hour sessions on either side of the screen where i cannot roll above a single digit. The numbers 2 thru 7 are my rolls, not often ones or above that when it gets bad.

So, i could approach this problem in two ways; give my self bonuses high enough that it doesnt matter, or do my best to not roll that blasted d20 as much as possible. This is an exercise in the latter.

A friend of mine is atarting a FR game, lvl 1, no flaws, no eberron/dragonlance/dragon/dungeon mag, no incarnum, no psionics, no insane cheese. Tier 3/4 is where im guessing we will be, its what we shoot for.

So my plan so far is play a dragonfire adept, bfc, a bit of blast and face role. Help me make this character as d20 roll/meaningless as possible. I will be dipping binder with naerberis for take 10 on social skills and hurried diplo, etc at lvl 3. Im trying to convince my dm to let me swear to an elder evil for the mind effecting immunity feat, but hes strongly on the fence.

What other ways can i get around that cursed die that hates me? I considered a level in exemplar, but dunno if ill need it. However, TOB save replace counters and exemplar is nice.

What other ways are there to avoid rolling as many 20s as possible? I want 15 levels DFA, so i got a bit to work with and most my feats are free.

Help me to not roll d20s giant.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: How not to roll, an exercise in reducing variance

Maybe this guide would help you on the skills front.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

In line with the elder evil thing, load up on as many feats/templates/class features/ items that give immunity to anything.

For example, just being undead will give you immunity to a host of things.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

That guide Doc_Maynot linked seems real nice.

Beyond that, the Hardened Criminal feat (CoS) lets you pick a skill to always take 10 on, amongst other things. Easiest source of custom skill-mastery. The Luck feats from CS can give you a variety of re-rolls, as can a number of items, as can the Pride domain power for nat 1's on saves.

For completeness, the Weapon Supremacy feats should be mentioned for their ability to let you take 10 on attack rolls; not that this is useful to you or that anyone ever ends up qualifying for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

There's a feat in races of stone that lets you take 10 on concentration checks, FWIW.

Warlocks can take 10 on UMD checks (except, ironically, the special power at 12th level that lets them use UMD to sub. for spells to make magic items).

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    That guide Doc_Maynot linked seems real nice.
    What can I say, I like the way you do what you do.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Check out the Inevitable Nightmare build.

8. - Top - End - #8

So for save replacement counters, a level of warblade or swordsage. Thinking warblade since ill just be snagging the counters. More hp and better in combat recharge. Also does battle clarity work with action before thought? Im thinking no but its worth noting.

Also insane defiance, does the target have to be legal, and can i target myself with the charm invocation and have someone save at minus 4?