New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Help Introducing Magical Locations (3.5 Midkemia based setting)

Warning: this thread will likely contain spoilers to Raymond E. Feist's books based in Midkemia. They won't be too bad but I am using different aspects of the series and messing around a bit with the timeline so if you intend to read the series (highly recommended) then there may be some spoilers.

I am 3 weekends into a 3.5 campaign set in my version of Midkemia. My players have expressed an interest in having places of power/ magical locations introduced to the setting and have invested enough IC to warrant having some discovered. The world is undergoing significant change with old magics resurfacing as well as extra planar incursions so I am happy to introduce them and think I will be able to fluff it acceptably.

My issue is how to make the rewards from gaining the place of power satisfying/balanced for the whole party. The party is now lvl 6 and consists of bard 5/Cleric 1; Ranger 2/Warblade 4 and Rogue 1/Wizard 5 who will shortly be joined by a Crusader 6 and another character tbc but looking like it might be a Rogue 1/Ranger 5 (wildshaping variant). The setting has limited magical equipment with Magical Weaponry up to +2 enhancements having only just been unlocked and Magical Armour not yet unlocked. Wondrous items exist fully.

The party is well optimised but not minmaxed and regularly take on encounters significantly above he recommended EL as they are good players (both mechanically and at RP). I do not want to give them free feats as this seems to be a bit too powerful but want to homebrew something that will reward the whole party, rather than just the spellcasters or the melee combatants.

My ideas thus far:
    For spellcasters, the effects of a Dragonblood Pool (+1 spell slot of either 1st, 2nd or 3rd level) and the effects of Pillar of the Titans (1/week increase size category for 5 mins and gain 10 temp hp).

OR

At some point before the end of the adventure, ask each of the players what their character's goals are in terms of gaining power and tailoring a boost to each of them (e.g. waiving the Dex requirement of improved TWF for the Warblade/Ranger).

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Next weekend is 20th January so I have a bit of time to work this out. Very happy to answer any questions people might have about the campaign or setting to date.

TLDR - Can you think of a balanced reward for a mixed party for claiming a magical location? The party will not know much about it before heading there and I don't really want to give out free feats.
    *insert witty comment

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Help Introducing Magical Locations (3.5 Midkemia based setting)

The mission quest I am going to get them to do for the first place of power is a long dungeon crawl against undead up a mountain culminating in a fight against a Skull Lord and his minions. This I have almost entirely written up.

My second idea is for a nature based adventure deep in the forest with the encounters all being plant based, culminating in a Vinespawn guarded by a pair of Verdant Reavers.

I am using Monster Manual V a lot as I like the monsters in it and two of my players are much more experienced than me but have never read/used that book.
    *insert witty comment

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Giving them a toolbox spell as a Spell Like Ability might be a good option. Being able to cast Mount, Produce Flame, or Hide from Undead once per day isn't terribly potent, but it gives the character a cool option that they always have with them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm, that could be a good plan, especially as the bard is very much going down a route where "there is no magic" (like Nakor in the books) and is finding ways to make spells not spells (if you that makes sense).

I am not sure how much some of the melee character would like a spell-like ability though. They prefer a combat buff.

Aligning it the site to a specific spell or type of magic (like toolbox spells) is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.
    *insert witty comment

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Minimuggs View Post
    I am not sure how much some of the melee character would like a spell-like ability though. They prefer a combat buff.
    I understand. I'm not certain there's anything you can do that would please everyone equally, but I don't think you need to. The place gives what it gives, making use of it is the players' responsibility. I'm sure they can figure out a combat use for most things.

My players always come up with cool uses for the strange things I give them. Seeing their creativity in action is part of what I love about this game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Minimuggs View Post
    The three examples have direct combat application already (well the last one applies to setting up the combat). So it shouldn't be a problem finding combat use for most utility spells. Should they only want to improve their combat performance, it is their loss anyways.
    If higher level spells are on the table fly and invisibility would make good buffs. Since divine spells are already on the table, how about: (lesser) vigor, entropic shield, endure elements.
    Featherfall is also always nice to have.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Think I may have done a disservice to my players there. They are definitely not just murder hobos focussed on their killiness.

The setting has them as part of an adventure guild (which I added to the setting) so they are pretty well equipped with the spells and scrolls for things like hide from undead. Featherfall and entropic shield would work though.

Do you think that the enlarge person / extra spell slot would be balanced?
    *insert witty comment