New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,492 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXI: Cancel the Jugglers

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Vrin was able to resit Agatha's voice with some difficulty. Perhaps these Geisters have been trained to resist Agatha's voice in case they ran into her?
    As devil's advocate, I note that Vrin had already imprinted on the copy of the other residing in Agatha's body, which may have made her unusually susceptible for a Geister.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    As devil's advocate, I note that Vrin had already imprinted on the copy of the other residing in Agatha's body, which may have made her unusually susceptible for a Geister.
    Vrin even had a little trouble when Anevka and Tarvek tested a copy of Agatha's voice on Vrin. That was before a copy of Lucrezia was summoned into Agatha.

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I think i'm gonna have to lean towards
    Girl Genius XXII: Paris Needs Pants!
    Since we're on page 50 and still in Paris, I'll vote for this one.

That said, I'm not sure we will be in Paris much longer. Still, it's not wise to underestimate how long the Foglios' stories can go.

Also, speaking of pages, the current page is 116. Lately the books have only had 120-130 pages, so we might be getting close to the end of Act 2 Book 4. FWIW, in Act 1, the books had as many as 180 pages and were probably more typically around 150 pages. I didn't check them all, so I might have missed something.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-03 at 12:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of the voice copy, maybe they should try that again and make town wide announcements each hour in big towns "Disregard all commands you got from the Other, report to the nearest town official that you are a revenant. I repeat:…" Or even just the disregard part. Probably too weak in command power but might still mess with a few revenants.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'd be worried about some sort of psychic feedback loop if they were told 'Disregard all commands from The Other', considering Agatha's Voice only works in the first place because the revenants cannot tell the difference between her Voice and that of the Other.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Bugbear in the Playground

True.

Maybe just add prior it is not like it would win over future commands anyway.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Speaking of the voice copy, maybe they should try that again and make town wide announcements each hour in big towns "Disregard all commands you got from the Other, report to the nearest town official that you are a revenant. I repeat:…" Or even just the disregard part. Probably too weak in command power but might still mess with a few revenants.
    Yeah, I've been thinking that Colette could probably allow Agatha to make city-wide broadcasts and that idea seemed especially attractive before we saw Geisters not being affected, but it seemed to easy to actually work so well, so I didn't say anything. Of course Colette doesn't know that Agatha can control revenants. I'm not sure that Agatha wants anyone to know.

7. - Top - End - #1477

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    I think Diabolus Ex Machina is the popular phrase. (warning: tvtropes link)
    Devil Out Of The Machine seems wrong. What's the Latin for The Machine IS The Devil?

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    The problem seems to be Agatha. She does not want to use the Voice unless it is absolutely necessary. She may fear giving in to the temptation; she has her own dark side, after all, and does not wish to become her mother...

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Devil Out Of The Machine seems wrong. What's the Latin for The Machine IS The Devil?
    Machinus est Diabola?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #1480

Actually, considering this is Der Kessel, maybe I should've asked for The Machine Is Worse Than The Devil.

11. - Top - End - #1481

BlueWizardGirl

So, people are dead, but we have ample evidence they can still be questioned. Although, we don't know if that would work on the Geisters.

Since the Geisters worship Lucy, would a return from death brought about by Agatha impact their religious views? Or, maybe, a really good, near-death ("near" to the point of "right there")?

For some reason, I now have a mental picture of the Jagers pretending to be the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future, with ropes, pulleys, and fake wings for special effects. . . .
    Last edited by Ellen; 2017-07-05 at 12:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, resurrection is a thing in the Girl Genius universe.
    And as long as the brain is mostly intact getting information from the resurrected shouldn't be impossible.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-07-05 at 12:45 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Given that Zola took care to shoot a Geister to keep it from being captured; and given that Dimo seems to think that catching one alive is important; and given that Agatha tries to Voice them into surrender; and that the Geister kills the minion that submits -

I think it's evidently quite a bit easier to get information from a live Geister. It seems to matter. Maybe they can't be resurrected, or there's significant information loss.

Interesting that the Geisters were taking order from the human girl in the hat while considering themselves to be "priestesses" and her a "lesser minion".

Of the three Geisters shown, we only see one die, although I think Zeetha is about to finish hers with her right-hand sword in the top panel. But what of the one Dimo is punching? Admittedly Dimo probably has a punch like unto being hit by a semi, but she's not dead on the last viewing.

Soon we will learn that "noodles" is a code word for "honey", which is used to feed the slaver wasp engines.

Agatha seems completely unperturbed by the addition of a quart of Geister blood to her ensemble.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Of the three Geisters shown, we only see one die, although I think Zeetha is about to finish hers with her right-hand sword in the top panel. But what of the one Dimo is punching? Admittedly Dimo probably has a punch like unto being hit by a semi, but she's not dead on the last viewing.
    FWIW, they apparently took out a Geister on the way in on the previous page. A Geister's hand was visible at the edge of one frame. The Geister was apparently on the ground.

Since the Geister aren't affected by Agatha's voice, maybe capturing a Geister wouldn't do as much good as they originally assumed. Perhaps Colette will do better at getting information from them, anyway. I don't know.

15. - Top - End - #1485

Oh, there are ways of getting people to talk. Expose them to Othar's soulful blue eyes. A little birdie tells me that works on Geisters.

16. - Top - End - #1486

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    For some reason, I now have a mental picture of the Jagers pretending to be the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future, with ropes, pulleys, and fake wings for special effects. . . .
    Where is Maxim? or are you referring to Jenka?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Troll in the Playground

And that sort of answers the question of why the Geisters aren't doing what Agatha said. Pity about Sofie, though.

I *was* going to twit Agatha for a lack of planning: She's come up with a variety of devices to take out opponents, including the gizmo that electrifies the floor and zaps everyone standing on it, why didn't she do the same to capture the Geisters? Then it dawned on me. She doesn't know the limits of the Geisterdamen. Would an electrical shock that would drop a human being even bother them? Or would they die from just a static spark? Chemically, biologically, all she knows is they can take a serious beating and keep going. Vi was there, I can't imagine she wasn't hitting the Geisters with drugs and toxins to drop them, but apparently to no effect. It's possible Agatha wants so badly to capture one not only to talk, but to see what makes them tick.

(And if Smoke Knight drugs aren't as effective with Geisters as they are on humans, that increases my hope that Shurdlu is not deceased...)

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    And that sort of answers the question of why the Geisters aren't doing what Agatha said. Pity about Sofie, though.

I *was* going to twit Agatha for a lack of planning: She's come up with a variety of devices to take out opponents, including the gizmo that electrifies the floor and zaps everyone standing on it, why didn't she do the same to capture the Geisters? Then it dawned on me. She doesn't know the limits of the Geisterdamen. Would an electrical shock that would drop a human being even bother them? Or would they die from just a static spark? Chemically, biologically, all she knows is they can take a serious beating and keep going. Vi was there, I can't imagine she wasn't hitting the Geisters with drugs and toxins to drop them, but apparently to no effect. It's possible Agatha wants so badly to capture one not only to talk, but to see what makes them tick.

(And if Smoke Knight drugs aren't as effective with Geisters as they are on humans, that increases my hope that Shurdlu is not deceased...)
    In the just-previous strip we saw Vi with some sort of ring in her hand and a big smile on her face, yet it appears no Geisterdamen were captured. Either she didn't try (unlikely) or her techniques were ineffective. However, a shot to the temple with any pointy thing is not good for the brain - and I suspect Shurdlu was also tossed overboard while Team Agatha continued their flight toward the party. Granted that the Geisters are tough, how tough are they when unconscious and falling onto cobblestone streets?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

19. - Top - End - #1489

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Where is Maxim? or are you referring to Jenka?
    Maybe a team of Ghosts of Christmas Present? Oggie and Maxim could be discussing teaching Tiny Tim about the birds and the veasels while wandering around invisibly getting drunk on the Milk of Human Kindness (no, you don't want to know how you make that drink).

20. - Top - End - #1490

BarbarianGuy

Maybe a team of Ghosts of Christmas Present? Oggie and Maxim could be discussing teaching Tiny Tim about the birds and the veasels while wandering around invisibly getting drunk on the Milk of Human Kindness (no, you don't want to know how you make that drink).
    First, catch the human that you want to milk...
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ettin in the Playground

Strong hope we find milk of human kindness soon.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Alright since no one else wants to do it:

NEW THREAD ALERT!!!!!

Girl Genius XXII: Paris Needs Pants is now alive! Alive I SAY!!!!!

So ahead on over there and let this thread have its well earned eternal rest.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-07-07 at 03:46 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb