New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXI: Cancel the Jugglers

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    I am wondering if MsoP will regard Agatha with the same benign opinion now that she is responsible for the safety and well-being of Paris. However well intentioned, Agatha did awken Andy and the chaos that ensued. Likewise, she highjacked various Parisian systems via Kestlebot and Loco-motive. Undeniably, where Heterodyne goes, trouble follows.

I could see Agatha, to her chagrin, being informed by MsoP that the time limit on her stay was still in force, possibly increased for her help against Andy.
    If Prende gets a chance to report, she would no doubt put the blame on Madwa for the Storm King escaping. More importantly, Castlebot just saved Colette in order to keep her as an ally. I expect that to work. Less importantly, from a meta point of view, the fact that the attempt to frame Agatha for killing Simon failed would make it seem odd if Colette and Paris didn't remain friendly with Agatha. It would make the attempt to frame Agatha seem pointless.

I'm not sure that Agatha would still want to stay. She was looking for Professor Zardeliv, but Madwa ran off with him to who knows where. I don't have any idea what her Plan B would be. And who knows how much will change in the meantime.

BTW, will we ever find out what Aldin and Larana were after? I certainly hope there was something.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    She's a spark, she's already in Seine by default.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-22 at 09:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

3rd vote for in-seine
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Grandma just went up a few levels of amoral scary.

If I read this right, Grandma knows Zola is the Other (or the Other-ish) and that she has most of Paris "primed"--I'm reading that as wasped--and ready to control, and her reaction is to "help" Zola, which I think means recruit her into a subordinate position.

Unless this is her lead-up to stabbing Zola in the back (or attempting to).

Either way, Grandma is a scary woman/monster/typical representative of Tarvek's family.

4. - Top - End - #1384

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Girl Genius XXII: In-Seine by Default get my vote.
    I like it too. +1.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    If I read this right, Grandma knows Zola is the Other (or the Other-ish) and that she has most of Paris "primed"
    She might not know she's the Other (or Other-lite, maybe)--we only know that she knows Zola was involved in the failed attempt to take Paris. Don't actually know what Granny's long-term objective is, here--it doesn't seem that saving Zola is going to help Tweedle in any way, but that entire family seem to delight in backstabbing each other anyway.

6. - Top - End - #1386

Is Grandma allied with The Other, or is she "just" in for the Storm King conspiracy? If so, which Storm King does she try to get to throne? Only Martellus, or does Tarvek go too?
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that Grandma is playing a totally different game to everyone else on the field. We have no idea what are end goals are, only some of the moves she's making.

I like her.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

What was Colette's "Uh oh." about? It's not just that she overdid it, is it?

Grandma seems to think that the more schemes and schemers operating simultaneously, the better. I guess they make her parties memorable.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    What was Colette's "Uh oh." about? It's not just that she overdid it, is it?

Grandma seems to think that the more schemes and schemers operating simultaneously, the better. I guess they make her parties memorable.
    Collete didn't say "Uh oh." That was Zola. See how you cannot see her well-formed backside through the flames consuming her dress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Collete didn't say "Uh oh." That was Zola. See how you cannot see her well-formed backside through the flames consuming her dress.
    You're right. That makes a lot more sense. I had thought that Colette just formed a new dress around herself, but that's Zola's dress and blonde hair. They are apparently both very back-lit. The bottom of Zola's dress would normally be yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    If I read this right, Grandma knows Zola is the Other (or the Other-ish) and that she has most of Paris "primed"--I'm reading that as wasped--and ready to control, and her reaction is to "help" Zola, which I think means recruit her into a subordinate position.
    I don't think so. Violetta said that Grandma was opposed to anyone who cooperated with the Other. I don't think she would help Zola if she knew Zola had a connection with Lucrezia. I think that she just meant that Zola, as Queen of the Dawn, has a huge number of fans. I agree that Grandma is being incredibly amoral, though, and I'm surprised that Grandma didn't think that the attack by the Geisters and revenants was staged, though. I don't really know what Grandma is thinking. Maybe it's even some sort of trap for Zola.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-23 at 09:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1391

SamuraiGuy

"In-Seine by default" is clever, even if it's not a comic quote. Accepted.

We believe Grandma hates The Other (although that could be a pose ... where Grandma's concerned, I take nothing for certain).
    We believe Grandma knows exactly who Zola is, and who she's working for.
    I take "I've got you now, girl ..." to mean "Your life is in my hands, and you will obey me, or I will draw Colette's attention to you and you'll be crushed like a bug MWAHAHAHA". Therefore, assuming Grandma hates The Other, she's about to turn Zola into a double agent, presumably with some sort of hook that will last outside Paris.

It may also serve her purposes to have Paris rise up against Colette so that she can only hold power with Martellus' help. The number of ways Grandma could wield a weapon like Zola is ... large.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

But Zola is NOT the Other. She's yet another Sturmvoraus plot, initially intended to take over the Heterodyne faction, and when that went pear-shaped, lucked into trapping the Other inside her specially trained brain and thus became Granny's plot to infiltrate the Other's faction. Granny seems to have been behind this plot, like she seems to be behind all of them, maybe because she considers that multiple competing plots have a better chance than a single one, maybe because the only way to not get eaten by a hydra is to sit behing its many necks and do your best to steer it.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The number of ways Grandma could wield a weapon like Zola is ... large.
    Good point and I think I should have paid more attention to Hellen saying, "...which I think means recruit her into a subordinate position." Yes, it would make sense for Grandma to do that. I don't know if Grandma knows about Zola being allied with Lucrezia, but if she does, at a minimum she would want Zola to switch away from her.

14. - Top - End - #1394

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    But Zola is NOT the Other. She's yet another Sturmvoraus plot, initially intended to take over the Heterodyne faction, and when that went pear-shaped, lucked into trapping the Other inside her specially trained brain and thus became Granny's plot to infiltrate the Other's faction. Granny seems to have been behind this plot, like she seems to be behind all of them, maybe because she considers that multiple competing plots have a better chance than a single one, maybe because the only way to not get eaten by a hydra is to sit behing its many necks and do your best to steer it.

Grey Wolf
    Zola accepted having The Other in her brain as an alternative to death, IIRC. And I think Zola is a tool who is aware she's a tool, and wants to break free. If Grandma can get her out of Paris alive, that's a definite plus from Zola's viewpoint (), and if Grandma can get The Other out of her head, that's even better. Now, what's Grandma's price going to be? Well, if this was a D&D game, I'd put Grandma down as some sort of malign fey, a Verdant Lord or Hag or some such. It's not so much her own power as all the people she's manipulated into serving her over the years. Zola is a tool with ambitions of greatness, but I think in a 3-sided battle of wits between Grandma Sturmvoraus, The Other, and Zola, Zola finishes 3rd.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    Just As Planned?

16. - Top - End - #1396

BlackDragon

Girl Genius XXII: I've got you now!
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

17. - Top - End - #1397

So much for my fond hope that the Paris arc's wrap up would include Zola's funeral.

I can see the meeting between Collette and Agatha going something like "You have added more time to your credit." and "That's nice, but I'm going to save it for my next trip. Hope your coronation goes better than mine did."

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maybe among other things, Grandma will demand information from Zola and we will get some exposition?

and if Grandma can get The Other out of her head, that's even better.
    Having Lucrezia in her head was useful for fooling Clank Lucrezia. I think Zola might think that having Lucrezia there gives her more options, so she might prefer things as they are.

but I think in a 3-sided battle of wits between Grandma Sturmvoraus, The Other, and Zola, Zola finishes 3rd.
    IDK. I think Zola started out in a weaker position than the other two, but she's done very well considering that.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know if Grandma knows about Zola being allied with Lucrezia, but if she does, at a minimum she would want Zola to switch away from her.
    There is no alliance. Judging from what happened during their "meeting" in Castle Hetrodyne it looks like there was a long-standing plan to trap a copy of Lucrezia that Zola was in a position to trigger. Although Zola offered an alliance she had no intention of following it through - nether did Lucrezia, for that matter, making it an interesting little backstabber's gavotte.

Zola still looks to be in control (at least, the reactions thus far are very Zola), so noting happene off-screen for Lucrezia to get control.

"In-Seine by default" is clever, even if it's not a comic quote. Accepted.
    It's a very comic quote - I first saw it from Spike Milligan's McGoonagle books, and if that isn't comic, what is?

(Oh yes, one vote for Girl Genius XXII: In-Seine by Default)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Girl Genius XXII: I've got you now!
    Remove the emphasis and the context and suddenly I'm thinking of Star Wars (albeit the phrasing isn't identical).

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    There is no alliance. Judging from what happened during their "meeting" in Castle Hetrodyne it looks like there was a long-standing plan to trap a copy of Lucrezia that Zola was in a position to trigger. Although Zola offered an alliance she had no intention of following it through - nether did Lucrezia, for that matter, making it an interesting little backstabber's gavotte.

Zola still looks to be in control (at least, the reactions thus far are very Zola), so noting happene off-screen for Lucrezia to get control.
    I was speaking somewhat imprecisely because things are complicated. Zola apparently fooled clank-Lucrezia into thinking that Zola was effectively another copy of Lucrezia. Basically, it is more or less an alliance between Zola and Lucrezia; it's just that clank-Lucrezia thinks she is cooperating with a copy of herself rather than Zola. Since the Geisters and revenants seemed to be helping Zola, I assume the same situation still exists. Zola didn't reveal to anyone in Paris that she had been pretending to be controlled by a copy of Lucrezia. Assuming Grandma noticed the Geisters and revenants helping Zola, and Zola killing the one so it couldn't be captured, Grandma would likely suspect that Zola had an alliance with Lucrezia. That would be something Grandma would probably try to disrupt.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-23 at 04:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I was speaking somewhat imprecisely because things are complicated. Zola apparently fooled clank-Lucrezia into thinking that Zola was effectively another copy of Lucrezia. Basically, it is more or less an alliance between Zola and Lucrezia; it's just that clank-Lucrezia thinks she is cooperating with a copy of herself rather than Zola. Since the Geisters and revenants seemed to be helping Zola, I assume the same situation still exists. Zola didn't reveal to anyone in Paris that she had been pretending to be controlled by a copy of Lucrezia. Assuming Grandma noticed the Geisters and revenants helping Zola, and Zola killing the one so it couldn't be captured, Grandma would likely suspect that Zola had an alliance with Lucrezia. That would be something Grandma would probably try to disrupt.
    Fair 'nough. Three copies of Lucrezia should be enough to confuse anything...

(Let's see, a copy in Agatha, one in a clank, and one caught in Zola. Any I've forgotten?)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

23. - Top - End - #1403

There is evidence that points both ways, but we have no firm idea of who is currently in charge inside of Zola's head, and we won't unless we hear some sort of internal dialogue; any "facts" either personality offers out loud are less than useless. I'd personally guess that, yes, it's Zola, but that's just a guess.

And again, there's no positive proof that Grandma was (or was not) directly involved in the whole "Zola as false Heterodyne" plot. The only fact we have is that she knew about it after it failed and issued a decree that there would be no similar efforts. Tarvek at least gave the impression it was all his father's idea.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Tarvek at least gave the impression it was all his father's idea.
    I don't think he did. I don't know if Aaronev even knew about the Storm King plot. Aaronev would probably have been very much opposed to it if he did know about it because he was very loyal to Lucrezia and Lucrezia's schemes were incompatible with the Storm King scheme. Granted, Tarvek was involved in at least three different incompatible schemes, but according to what Tarvek said, Aaronev only worked very hard on attempting to bring Lucrezia back.

What made you think that Tarvek indicated the Storm King plot was Aaronev's idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Fair 'nough. Three copies of Lucrezia should be enough to confuse anything...

(Let's see, a copy in Agatha, one in a clank, and one caught in Zola. Any I've forgotten?)
    Does this count?

There could be even more that we don't know about, like if they used the summoning engine back in Sturmhalten some more.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-23 at 07:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1405

I don't think he did. I don't know if Aaronev even knew about the Storm King plot. Aaronev would probably have been very much opposed to it if he did know about it because he was very loyal to Lucrezia and Lucrezia's schemes were incompatible with the Storm King scheme. Granted, Tarvek was involved in at least three different incompatible schemes, but according to what Tarvek said, Aaronev only worked very hard on attempting to bring Lucrezia back.

What made you think that Tarvek indicated the Storm King plot was Aaronev's idea?
    "Yes, there was a plot to install a false Heterodyne. My father and his men have been working on it for a long time."
    Last edited by geoduck; 2017-06-23 at 08:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ah! OK. So he wasn't as loyal to Lucrezia as I thought he was. Weren't any of them working on only one plot at a time?

27. - Top - End - #1407

BlackDragon

Girl Genus XXII: Plenty of Plots Per Plotter

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Girl Genus XXII: Plenty of Plots Per Plotter
    Girl Genius' PPP is surprisingly mediocre among webcomics, but that's because it's going for volume plotting. Any reader will surely agree that its Plots Per 36 is unmatched, and of course it scores extremely well on the important PPXPP (Plots Plus Explosions Per Plot) metric.

29. - Top - End - #1409

BlackDragon

So Plenty of Plots times Plenty of Plotters times Plenty of Explosons Per Plot ...

PP x PP x PE/P =
    PP x P x E? Plenty of plots, plotters, and explosions?

... needs a better acronym or backcronym (expansion); all alliteration abandoned.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

To be fair, Tarvek may be a bit more honest than the average member of his family, but that doesn't mean he was being honest in this case--or that his summary isn't leaving out important information or that Tarvek couldn't be mistaken or just misled (what with his dad being such a pillar of honesty himself).

Meanwhile, sounds like those who thought Colette might be a touch difficult to deal with now she's ascended might have been right.