PeacefulOak Psion/Constructor Xaanthios
    Snowbluff Sorc/Scout/Unseen Seer Gretchen
    Cavir Swordsage Cendrik
    Kish Warmage Melinda
    Ragnarok'n'Roll Warlock Grassis
    Blinkbear (disappeared) Swordsage Arvid
    Feathersnow Bard (Animal Companion ACF) Petulia Nettice
    Feathersnow PsRg/SS/WB (killed by undead) ZrabHas

Old Loot List: Now items are split among the party members as they are picked up.

Last edited by J-H; 2018-09-21 at 09:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd OOC 2 [3.5, high speed]

Big 16 for future reference:

Jon Il-Kim is an Epic Thrallherd in the high 20s to low 30s. You are some of his true believers. Treason is literally unthinkable, but how you will accomplish your mission is up to you.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5 edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game?

Standard 3.5, setting is listed above. Pantheon is not relevant, as no divine casters are permitted. Deities take a dim view of someone stealing their followers.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Here on the OOTS boards.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    6th level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    15,000gp

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No divine casters of any variety, including no paladins or rangers. Divided loyalties are unwelcome. No ardent, for the same reason.
    No artificers.
    No wizards (a disciplined, orderly mind is highly resistant to the psychic call of a thrallherd).
    No Tome of Magic classes, no Incarnum, no Anima Mage, no factotum.
    No undead PCs.
    No homebrew.
    Sorcerers can select spells from the Wu Jen list.

The party will contain at least one psionic character.
    I prefer ToB classes over the standard fighter/rogue, as they can keep up better.
    A warlock might be a good idea for UMD; someone needs to be able to activate that wand of lesser vigor.
    If you want a non-item dependent source of healing, consult the powers in CPsi or consider the Sangehirn (web) Psion/Psywar PRC.

Any traps or locks can be dealt with via alternative methods, or by a dip into scout o or rogue. There may be some social encounters, or there may not be - you may choose to run from or bypass them, or to bull your way through.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

SRD races, but no Elans (resistant to thrallherd). You are on a mission with a war going on. Slow-moving races are not recommended. Other races on request, but no whisper gnomes, planetouched, mongrelfolk, goliaths, etc.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

4d6b3, rolled 7 times, pick the best 6. If you don't like the roll results, 32-point buy.
    Max hit points. Enemies will have max hit points as well.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    I doubt it will be relevant. There are a few spells that reference alignment, so put something down that reflects your particular brand of servitude to the glorious overlord who will no doubt one day Ascend.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    No multi-classing penalties. Some PRCs (such as Primeval from Frostburn) can have more reasonable entry requirements if needed. I don't like feat taxes for PRCs, make a request if interested.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    We will use group initiative; party goes, opponents go, repeat. I'll look at init score averages on both sides when determining who goes first, modified by circumstances. Remember, you're flat-footed until you've taken your first turn in combat!

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Improved Initiative gives a +10 since we're doing group init. It also prevents being flat-footed at the beginning of combat.
    All classes get +4 skill points per level (x4 at 1st level). I'll try to challenge most skills at some point. If you don't have a knowledge skill for something, I'm not going to tell you what it is unless it's common knowledge.
    Martial Study is a Fighter bonus feat
    Unarmed swordsage replaces monk
    Feats at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, etc.
    Everyone has Weapon Finesse for free.
    Combat Expertise & Mobility are no longer prerequisites for anything. Dodge applies a flat +1 AC that's always on unless you're flat-footed. Other feat taxes may be removed on request.

No crafting.
    WBL increase will probably mostly come from items worn by your opponents. If you pick an obscure racial item (orcish shot-put, gnome hook-hammer, dwarven waraxe), you probably won't find an upgrade for your current one unless you run into an enemy of the appropriate species.

Warhorses only get a single slam attack instead of bite/hoof/hoof.

If you don't do spiked chains, I won't do spiked chains.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A paragraph or so about what your character has done in the past would be nice.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Mostly hack & slash, exploration.

You're travelling cross-country, so there will be some open-field combat. Don't build exclusively for mounted combat, though. A horse is a big target.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    3.5 content is generally allowed, plus non-updated 3.0 (BOED/BOVD).
    No templates or weird silliness.

Passive Checks

To speed things up, I will make normal passive rolls, and will let players know the results if there's anything to know. I'll Take 10 on some of these, and will use physical dice for some as well.
    • Listen/Spot/Sense Motive
    • Passive Search (taking 10)
    • Spellcraft & Martial Lore to identify enemy spells and maneuvers.
    • Saves
    • SR & miss chances that players aren't aware of (this is better than the delay caused by saying "please also roll a X check.")
    • Knowledge skills: Unless players prefer otherwise, I'll publicly post results of knowledge checks, on the assumption that if Bob the Mage spots a Rust Monster, he's going to say "That's a Rust Monster!" instead of keeping quiet and letting the Fighter think it's a Giant Beetle.

I'll also roll reactive rolls (AOOs, Concentration checks, opposed grapple to resist grapple, etc) in-thread as applicable, rather than "Let's all wait for Bob to roll a Concentration check before we finish the turn."

Intimidation Resistance Table
    Based opposed roll: HD + Wis mod + any modifiers against fear + additional modifiers

Table of Additional Modifiers
    Can't understand language +4
    Not humanoid or monstrous humanoid +4 due to differing body language
    Size +4 per size category if larger, -4 per size category if smaller
    You're Bluffing +2 per 10 points of damage dealt by the target creature to the Intimidator.

Everyone has:

• Everlasting Rations (MIC 160)
    • Bottomless Waterskin
    • A small symbol marking you as one of the faithful; I am assuming this is carried out of sight, as this is a covert mission, unless indicated otherwise.

General Encounter History (last update: 9/11/18)
    Party level 6
    Beguiler 6, 2 CR4 ogres, unfavorable terrain
    Beguiler camp
    3 manticores, slightly debuffed at start of battle
    Let Troglodytes go
    Bypass dire elk
    Avalancher
    3 Gibbering Mouthers; useless NPCs
    Crossed the Yal River!
    Sheriff Tilghman & co

Party level 7
    Wargs & Were & Wolf
    Evaded bandit treasure encounter
    Bulette
    Roc
    Declined contact with shepherds
    Evaded Buffalo stampede
    Defeated 3 shadows (Cr3), evaded wraith
    Undead village and necromancer emissaries
    CR11 death knight
    Bulette
    Monster of Legend Tendriculous (with druid assistance)

Party level 8
    Imperial agents (6)
    Evaded Skum ambush/fisherman
    Two redcaps; drove off Elder redcap CR7, killed younger redcap CR3
    6 basilisks

Spoiler: Overworld map 9-11-18
    Show

Last edited by J-H; 2018-09-11 at 02:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't have a mount before so I guess I am walking?
    The only way of properly dealing with me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanil View Post
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.
    Thanks Ceika for this great avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Joas' mount was eaten. He will seek to avoid riding undead creatures (if at all possible), so I guess if there's a cart he will be in there if there's room.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Richard (the horse) is still alive, and Rex has upgraded from Richard to the rhino. He is a heavy warhorse. You have one set of banded mail barding (ac+6) that Richard has been wearing, and the group may have salvaged the regular leather barding from the other horses.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, with Arvid on top of it, it will likely go into medium load regardless of barding (I'll have to go over my sheet again, did not put weights in brackets for the haversack contents). Do you guys still have the leather barding or not?

Edit: I checked again. I am still at > 300lbs. So I guess banded mail barding is fair. Unless someone else wants to ride it?
    Last edited by Blinkbear; 2016-12-29 at 01:24 PM.
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm happy in the cart. I imagine we have canvas just covering the wagon with Grassis sitting on something comfortable, like a bundle of cold weather gear etc. I still have an everlasting feed bag/water skin for the horse. My/our horse that died was also packed with 200 lbs of regular feed in a saddle bag we should take.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2016-12-29 at 03:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Two of the horses were killed in town, so the leather barding is there for the taking.

What is pulling the cart, and how is it attached? I am expecting some kind of action cost to unhitch a beast from the cart. If there's not a rule for it somewhere (I haven't found one), I am thinking a full round action, since a harness usually involves a minimum of two sturdy connections.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

EVENTS:

Spoiler
    Show

Leave Cora riding north
    Bearing East, they head towards the mountains
    Head towards Traders Spring
    Get's waylaid by highwaymen, a female sorceress and ogre bodyguards (female is alive)
    Heading further into the mountains they encounter a Manticore (who killed the sorceress)
    After defeating them, they continue and find a stone cairn splitting the trail
    They choose the east route, and move along the side of the mountain towards the river of
    Encounter cave full of Troglodytes, leaves them alone.
    Following trail down further, they find a Ridgeline in the cleft of the mountains, and drop down into a wooded area.
    Continue on the side of the mountain, they get ambushed by an Avalancher, and after defeating it, camp and eat the the beast.
    Find a carted track, and head north. Finding and passing several mines with dwarves working them.
    Encounter a Gibbering Mouther coming from a mine, and defeat it, receiving the gratitude of the miners.
    Moving further, you find a canyon that leads to the great Yal river, a sky cart held aloft with cables ferries you across to the Town of Helane
    Selling their loot, they head to move out, the Law officer of the Town Tilghman asks us some questions, and things get out of hand. We end up killing him and his men, including a cleric, and a mage. (We happened to loot their stuff too!)
    Leaving town in a hurry, we headed North and slightly west getting ambushed by a pack of werewolves. (They kill several horses!)
    Moving onward, they Encounter a strange group of bandits with a stone on a cart, and some Rhinos, they ignore them, moving around.
    We encountered a Landshark, and defeat it, and then eat it.
    Heading on, we encounter a huge herd of sheep and goats, we leave them alone and move onwards.
    We encounter a Roc, and manage to make it fly away with frustration with Joas's time magic.
    A powerful being/floating skull see's the wounded Roc and magically searches for us, visiting Grassis in his dreams, imploring us to go to his town, promising power and riches.
    We ignore it, and move on, heading a round rumble, moving east to a hilltop, a huge herd of bison stampede past being followed by several landsharks
    We continue riding and move through some burial grounds and then a small town which we begin to circle so as not to enter. Resting outside of town inside Joas' magical hole (psychoportative shelter), and are attacked by shades. We defeat a few that enter our portal, but others are outside! Including a wraith. We run into town, Samarand, which turns out is warded against the dead. Greeted by a human riding a skeleton rhino. (Rocky) The Mayor of Samarand is the person who contacted Grassis, Spretchum Oghum, who has turned the whole town into zombies. He asks us to join his army, we decline, and they attack us.
    After the longest battle in PBP history, we manage to eventually win(destroying his alter, and defeating a rather annoying psiwarrior, and even zombie CHICKENS), though we lose one of our own! (ZrabHas) but we find a new friend who was holed up in the town. (Arvid)
    Turns out they were digging into something underneath the city, we investigate it, finding a room full of black sand and a Deathknight, after defeating them, we loot the body, and find 3 minor artifacts. (Also a skeleton RHINO!)
    Heading north west out of town, we encounter the damn Roc again. But it attacks something else, bird has learned its lesson.
    Moving further, we encounter a Bullete! After defeating it, we eat it.
    We move around a hard of rhinos, herders watching us with no incident
    Meet a strange Halfling who is in a hurry, leave him alone.
    Moving on, we meet a group of Centaurs who demand tribute, we oblige by giving them the axe from the cleric we defeated in Samarand. They are kinda and gift us a horn, with five blasts they will come to our aid. (South of Panjin)
    Enter the Shortwoods, skirt it to avoid having to abandon things from the moving through brush. Resting after having found a path, we notice some figures pointing at our pschoportive entry. At leaving, we get ambushed by a huge plant (tendriculous), the strangers help. One of the strangers is a druid (Black Leaf), which grants us safe passage through the woods for helping. (Via a stick with his symbol on it) also found a unicorn horn.
    Joas confirms a scrying sensor is following him as we find a ferry towards Panjin over the Dalao river. (Managing to lose the sensor)
    Before being ferried across, we destroy rocky the skeleton rhino so as not to offend. After peace bonding our weapons, we enter Panjin, selling our equipment, and buy new shiny things, (to include Lockheed the wyvern), Joas and Rex are the only ones to make it out. (The others simply vanish)
    Tilghman has sent some thugs to deal with us (and has been ressurected), we deal with them and meet a new friend (Gretch)
    Meet a stranger fishing, with things underneath the water, we try to investigate, but change our mind, moving onwards.
    Moving further we encounter a war torn area between Orcs and Gnolls, and decide to move around it, across the Xiliaa river.
    Traveling North, we decide to move through the hills.
    We encounter a limping centaur(Celazon), who was outed for challenging the new chieftain a dragon riding goblin(?) who was hunting him down. (Grassis finds his way back to us)
    Setting an ambush, we are in turn ambushed by redcaps and a shadow. After a brief melee, we loot a redcap (finding a redcap tooth), and move forward.
    Something larger is flying above, and we avoid it. But later, we see a group fo Centaurs signal atop a hill. We meet Sugodai of her Ladyship, he says we can move forward, but may have to pay a tax, while telling us to kill redcaps if we encounter them, and avoid the dryads and nymphs.
    We meet Lady Rendrassoa sitting on a rock, waiting for us.
    If we are traveling north to Tongliao (a city?), we have to do her a favor. Asks us to clear out a cave of basilisk's. One of her servants, Sugodai, is on a diplomatic mission. Apparently Rurrizziak’s pawns need to be thinned. Once cleared, light a bonfire on the hill.
    We clear the caves of all monsters and destone several people: finding Cendrik (a fellow agent), Gnoll diplomat and his mate, and a halfling; Fazzy Mentan, who upon hearing what year it is, leaves to Panjin with her thanks.
    (Grassis is replaced by Miland, and Joas by Xaanthios via player attrition)
    Find out the Orcs have a patron, old blue dragon named Arzarhel.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-09-11 at 03:41 PM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Discord
    Work is busy, and Family is in town till 22nd

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Doesn't the bard have a pet ?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Rocky the Undead Rhino (via magical item)
    Richard the heavy warhorse with barding
    Petulia's rhino

There's a skeletal light horse (not warhorse) still standing around, and you killed a number of zombie horses, as well as a zombie rhino. Every mount in town was either turned into an undead, or was killed and eaten by one of the 40-or-so zombies.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok'n'Roll View Post
    Doesn't the bard have a pet ?
    Yeah, but thats not available to anyone but Petulia.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Rocky the Undead Rhino (via magical item)
    Richard the heavy warhorse with barding
    Petulia's rhino

There's a skeletal light horse (not warhorse) still standing around, and you killed a number of zombie horses, as well as a zombie rhino. Every mount in town was either turned into an undead, or was killed and eaten by one of the 40-or-so zombies.
    Damn.

Ok, well, how about:

Rex on Rocky
    Petulia on her pet Rhino (forgot what its called)
    Richard pulling cart, with Joas, & Arvid driving it, with Grassis doing what grassis does. (in back most likely)
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Discord

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

As pulling is much easier than carrying in DND, I agree that it might be better if I am on the cart than on the horse, I agree.

I think Pet's pet is called Roland.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

J-H, Rex's stats have changed since he is wearing the crown:

+1 will save (total +7)
    +4 to diplomacy (total +16)
    +4 to sense motive (total +4)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Discord

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

How big is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roc, SRD
    A roc’s plumage is either dark brown or golden from head to tail. These enormous creatures are 30 feet long from the beak to the base of the tail, with wingspans as wide as 80 feet. A roc weighs about 8,000 pounds.

A roc attacks from the air, swooping earthward to snatch prey in its powerful talons and carry it off for itself and its young to devour. A solitary roc is typically hunting and will attack any Medium or larger creature that appears edible.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Sorry, holidays and illness kept me from being quite as active as I should have been. Here for real this time. I hope...
    Petulia Yncidottir, professional Rhinoceros owner.

Spoiler: Gone but never forgotten
    Show
    ZrabHas, a Githerzai Gish with only melee classes. She never came back from her Rrathmal.

"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.” -Esme Weatherwax
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess it's a bit too meta to assume that Arvid knows that he's unlikely to be snatchable by this beast?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkbear View Post
    I guess it's a bit too meta to assume that Arvid knows that he's unlikely to be snatchable by this beast?
    Depends on why Arvid thinks so. If he has a super-AC, a mega-grapple or some anti-grapple ability then why not?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Depends on why Arvid thinks so. If he has a super-AC, a mega-grapple or some anti-grapple ability then why not?
    I think I misremembered falsely anyway. It was just because he's large regarding special attacks of enemies, but improved grab does not require more than one size category smaller. I will post later when I return from the doc.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

So, let's see how long it takes that I want my 2 AC back... But I figured that having a 20ft reach could actually help me to either keep it at bay or at least AoO it if it comes near. Unless it has a 15ft reach, then there are no AoOs if it 5 foot steps. But even then, it should if it charges or move&attacks.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I liked this picture of a Bulette more than the one I used earlier.
    It looks much more scary and predatory.

The Bulette only has 10' reach, so Arvid will get an AOO if it heads his way.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I felt the size and intimidating demeanor of the beast a good reason to "suit up" and go a bit "hulk". Let's see what happens ;) Maybe I wasted a standard action, but maybe it's fun. I just love this idea that you have such a huge beast and actually get a higher reach than it :D

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Waiting on Auto, and I'm late for bed. I'll do the post in the morning.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Not that I know anything about those personal constructs, but somehow attack and damage from the stat block and the rolls do not match. Or am I blind?

I've also got to admit, that thing rocks. Basically another Arvid on the field.
    Last edited by Blinkbear; 2017-01-04 at 08:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

It's a medium astral construct (4th level). Constructs get 1.5 str to damage on their slam, indicating that it's treated as a two-handed weapon.
    Base is +10ab/ 1d6+10 damage. This one has +4 strength, putting it at +12ab/1d6+13 damage. PA for -2/+4 puts it at +10ab/1d6+17 damage. Add another +2 ab for charge.

The stat block he copy/pastes in includes a default PA for -3/+6.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a medium astral construct (4th level). Constructs get 1.5 str to damage on their slam, indicating that it's treated as a two-handed weapon.
    Base is +10ab/ 1d6+10 damage. This one has +4 strength, putting it at +12ab/1d6+13 damage. PA for -2/+4 puts it at +10ab/1d6+17 damage. Add another +2 ab for charge.

The stat block he copy/pastes in includes a default PA for -3/+6.
    Ah, I missed the default PA thing :) Thanks for clearing that up.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt I'm going to get it, but hey, dice God's, if you're listening, I would like battle leaders charge, sincerely, Rex.

(1d3)[1]

Edit, oh well, aoo it is.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-01-04 at 10:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Discord

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I show a rhino's charge at 4d6+24. What's the extra 2 points of damage coming from?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I show a rhino's charge at 4d6+24. What's the extra 2 points of damage coming from?
    My aura of power. POWAH!
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-01-04 at 12:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Discord