The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd OOC 2 [3.5, high speed]

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I seem to recall you blowing up a bunch of zombies...although I was surprised that you didn't just set up a couple of energy walls in choke points to create deathtraps for them.
    Yes, well, the psionic walls you just walk through (they are not like ice walls), so it would be just a single damage event for passing through (unless they are stupid enough to stand around hugging the wall), and the damage of the wall power is not stellar. When I started to direct damage the zombies was when Joas started to panic .

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

At level 7 you could make it 140' long and parallel to their path.
    I was also surprised you didn't use a flying construct against the Roc or...well, anywhere except the Manticores.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

At level 7 you could make it 140' long and parallel to their path.
    I was also surprised you didn't use a flying construct against the Roc or...well, anywhere except the Manticores.
    While you have a point, it is slightly biased by the DM point of view. I had no certainty what the path of the zombies would be (though, granted, it was fairly predictable), but more importantly I assumed that the zombies would not just keep on walking along the incinerating death trap. They may be stupid (Int -), but they do have some form of instinct (Wis 10). How this plays out is up to the DM, but not crystal clear for the player: I assumed that a zombie, despite its stupidity, would move away from the harmful path when an obvious alternative route that is not harmful is apparent. So, it could have ended with the zombies taking one (small) hit of damage and then walking around the wall, which would mean I spent 5 PP and (more expensively perhaps) one action to not much effect (and have created a very large hazard for my fellow players on the battlefield, limiting their freedom of movement). In the same vein I was considering trapping patches of zombies under dome-type of walls, but decided that if they just walk through and out of it, it would not have been very effective. So, I did consider such actions, but decided that the chance for them being fairly ineffective and expensive (actions, power points) was too large and that direct damage big hits (Energy missile) was the way to go. In hindsight I should perhaps have tested it .

As for the flying, the construct flight is very slow and not very flexible (speed 20 or 40, average). What can it do against a creature that flies 2 to 4 times as fast as it? Basically just hang around and attack when it comes close, which is not much different from standing on the ground. Also in other combats, I want it to stand around and take a beating (better it than Rex) and use full attacks (though that only makes a difference starting this level). Flying is good when you want to evade damage, or against a flying opponent that has worse (or similar) flying stats than you do. I don´t see the benefits of flight as a standard quality on my personal constructs over, for example, abilities like trip, bull rushing and muscle (more hits, better hits, better tripping) which do have direct and almost always relevant tactical advantages.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, just found rex is Gone.

Will need a bit to rebuild him, mostly issues with magic items...
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. If you want to, you can go ahead and post IC before the sheet is done, and we can always pause if the group gets to combat before you have your sheet done.

Still hoping one or both of our missing two will return.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

How are y'all's sheets coming along?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I should have a sheet today.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

How are y'all's sheets coming along?
    I am done. Well, there´s probably some items missing, but I don´t really care: If I don´t remember them I probably did not use them much .

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Working, I'll try to make him tonight.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

You're at a point where it's peaceful (at least for now), so you can go ahead and post IC before finishing your sheet. That lets us get things rolling again.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Are you sure you want to do that?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Are you sure you want to do that?
    yes, I'll control it with the rings while grassis blasts it, so it doesn't attack us.

And if only to shut Joas up.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Please fill in the skills you don't have points in also. Remember that you get +4 skill points per level (x4 at 1). I think your current total of 38 skill points is low.

The battle-related stats all look like what I remember.

I'm going to wait overnight in case anyone wants to argue against blowing Rocky to bits. If Blinkbear and Feathersnow don't make it back, that'll leave the group with Roger as the only mount, although Panjin is definitely large enough that you can find something.
    Speaking of which, do y'all want to proceed with just 3 players for now?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    yes, I'll control it with the rings while grassis blasts it, so it doesn't attack us.

And if only to shut Joas up.
    Awww...don´t blame it on Joas . Isn´t it very natural to not be very excited about undead companioship?

Please fill in the skills you don't have points in also. Remember that you get +4 skill points per level (x4 at 1). I think your current total of 38 skill points is low.

The battle-related stats all look like what I remember.

I'm going to wait overnight in case anyone wants to argue against blowing Rocky to bits. If Blinkbear and Feathersnow don't make it back, that'll leave the group with Roger as the only mount, although Panjin is definitely large enough that you can find something.
    Speaking of which, do y'all want to proceed with just 3 players for now?
    It´s been 4 weeks since one of them posted, if I saw it right, so I think gaming on is justified (maybe shoot them a PM if you haven´t already).....and 3-man is fine with me.
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2017-02-15 at 01:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fine with 3
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Auto, that was hilarious. Made me genuinely smile.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

So ... He's not answering my question about peacebonding?

Also, seems like we're down to 3, maybe we should recruit for more?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    So ... He's not answering my question about peacebonding?

Also, seems like we're down to 3, maybe we should recruit for more?
    I am not sure I agree. 3 folks that *do* reply daily is by far better than 4 or 5 of which 1 or 2 do not do so (because it tends to bog down a game, and that is exactly not what we´re after). This is also the reason why I am letting you and DrK duo the Gai-len campaign. In that campaign, we ended up considering DMPC´s and gestalting the characters to compensate the smaller team size (and deciding for gestalt). We already recruited an extra member and that did not solve anything. My opinion: Take what´s good (who´s delivering) and run with it!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

I have a PM in to Ragnarok. I don't think we can proceed with just 2 players.

A peacebond is a piece of distinctively colored wire, string, etc., that is tied around the hilt and scabbard of a weapon such that the weapon cannot be drawn without breaking the peacebond. In the modern world, you'll usually see this implemented at gun shows with a bright orange zip tie used to hold the action open on all guns in the show, so that nobody can chamber a round and fire by accident.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

A peacebond is a piece of distinctively colored wire, string, etc., that is tied around the hilt and scabbard of a weapon such that the weapon cannot be drawn without breaking the peacebond. In the modern world, you'll usually see this implemented at gun shows with a bright orange zip tie used to hold the action open on all guns in the show, so that nobody can chamber a round and fire by accident.
    Aye, I hope he returns....I also kind of need him in the Digging in campaign.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    I am not sure I agree. 3 folks that *do* reply daily is by far better than 4 or 5 of which 1 or 2 do not do so (because it tends to bog down a game, and that is exactly not what we´re after). This is also the reason why I am letting you and DrK duo the Gai-len campaign. In that campaign, we ended up considering DMPC´s and gestalting the characters to compensate the smaller team size (and deciding for gestalt). We already recruited an extra member and that did not solve anything. My opinion: Take what´s good (who´s delivering) and run with it!
    Indeed, and I do agree, I was just teasing out who was really active or not, and merely making a suggestion.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Aye, I hope he returns....I also kind of need him in the Digging in campaign.
    Agreed. This is a great game, and I'm having a blast, especially with Rex (and his interaction with Joas)

@J-H, is there a way we could perhaps beef our PC's up and carry on? Maybe Gestalt, or a DMPC, NPC added to the party? We would have to be much more careful, but me and Auto are pretty prolific posters, and the pace of the game might even pick up with just the 3 of us.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Gestalt can add some power and versatility, but unless it's in a class that grants extra actions (Psion/Schism, Quickened spells, etc.) it does not come close to doubling your combat power or your survivability (<20% swing on hp, saves, ac, etc in most cases).

I just kicked off another pair of games, and I could probably pull a player or two from there, although I don't want too much crossover...

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Gestalt can add some power and versatility, but unless it's in a class that grants extra actions (Psion/Schism, Quickened spells, etc.) it does not come close to doubling your combat power or your survivability (<20% swing on hp, saves, ac, etc in most cases).

I just kicked off another pair of games, and I could probably pull a player or two from there, although I don't want too much crossover...
    True enough, action economy at this level is cheesy at best anyway.

A thought though, would be allowing us mounts (or perma mounts like Animal companions, etc, so maybe gestalt with classes that allow that?), this would give us that action economy you are speaking off, as well as improved combat focus and increased action economy.

A griffon, hippogriff, wyvern etc would add a lot to the table.

Just a thought, not married to it. (although, I'm always game for flying mounts, because those are always cool + the wyverns thing fits so well into the fluff)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-02-27 at 05:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

You blew your mount up not very long ago. You'll have to buy the next one.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

You blew your mount up not very long ago. You'll have to buy the next one.
    Bwahahah, lol, that works too :P
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

So, are we waiting on Ragnarok to come back/reply, or for a new player to join us from another game?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. I have someone I plan to PM tonight.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

I guess the point is moot, but I think in the case of Joas pairing him with (e.g.) ranger would significantly increase his effectivity a lot, especially because he has been relatively passive after summoning the construct in combat to conserve power points (he would take up archery). Moreover the increase in hp, saves, attack bonus and class skills / skill points would be very substantial. Rex does not have the Int to pull off a factotum, so there (from the top of my head) only a companion class would seriously increase his presence/capacity in combat.

Yes. I have someone I plan to PM tonight.
    I just heard, via-via, that he is taking a break from the forums. I did not pm with him myself, so you may want to confirm this yourself.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, who is it?

And, J-H, I may be white gazebo'ing the peacebonded thing, feel free to tell me otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord