New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread IX: By the Flower and Gray Skull

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Idea!

What if the key thing that makes war sustainable isn't so much the razing bonus for cities, but an as-yet-unspecified bonus for wiping out a side? I.e. -- the razing bonus for the last capital site of a side is significantly higher than normal.
    It's probably less about the razing and more being able to seize a side's treasury when you claim the capitol.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

The system doesn't even really make any sense. We've been told that sides can't make a profit or be self sufficient without taking money from other sides. Where does money come from in the first place then? Will everyone just stop making new units forever once they've mined out their natural resources?

In real life money doesn't just disappear when you spend it like it does in Erf. The system is not sustainable unless natural resources re-pop over time or something else happens that we haven't been told.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-01-08 at 11:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The system is not sustainable unless natural resources re-pop over time ...
    I think that's exactely what happens. But as you said we haven't been told so we can't know for sure.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Joy View Post
    I think that's exactely what happens. But as you said we haven't been told so we can't know for sure.
    If I remember correctly, Ferals pop randomly, and very rarely a Barbarian Warlord or something, so it's not entirely out of the question to extend that to resources.

On the other hand, mining seems to not be an infinite venture. So, it is very possible that Erfworld has a finite lifespan.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The system doesn't even really make any sense. We've been told that sides can't make a profit or be self sufficient without taking money from other sides.
    Yeah, it's weird that war apparently produces net schmuckers. My best guess is that how much money you get from razing is dependent not only on city level but on how many enemy units you croaked taking it. My second best guess is that you aren't supposed to think about it.

In real life money doesn't just disappear when you spend it like it does in Erf. The system is not sustainable unless natural resources re-pop over time or something else happens that we haven't been told.
    Never been mentioned in comic, but someone on the Erfworld forums claims he heard from Balder that yes, hexes eventually return to their original state over time.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

It's possible that, like in some games, having cities nets resources that count as money. Gems already can be turned into Schmuckers and back. Rations are a thing, one could very well sell them or use them as barter.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Don't the first few cities a side controls provide enough money to support it while it's small? I thought it was only after you had a few cities under your control that they stopped producing enough money to support everyone you needed to keep them safe and maintain the side, which is why they occasionally mention the diminishing schmucker return on conquering more territory.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Don't the first few cities a side controls provide enough money to support it while it's small? I thought it was only after you had a few cities under your control that they stopped producing enough money to support everyone you needed to keep them safe and maintain the side, which is why they occasionally mention the diminishing schmucker return on conquering more territory.
    That does appear to be so. The higher the level of the city the more they produce as well. The more cities a side has, the less each city produces.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

I dunno about that. Ansom called a self sustaining kingdom completely impossible in book one, and even Faq had to do mercenary work to sustain themselves. Large kingdoms seem to compound the problems, but even small ones have to fight to sustain themselves.

Has there been another example of an side that was actually self sufficient I'm missing?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I thought I remember Parson speculating on how he might make a self-sustaining side work, but I can't even remember if that was a text update or just a fan theory. Either way it wouldn't matter because that's not what Stanley would want.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, thinking about it, a city produces a certain amount of income based on its level, but doesn't it produce units of some kind constantly? Unless you can turn off production of units, their upkeep will eventually overwhelm your cities' income at some point. If you do stop growing your army, then you're easy pickings and profit for a side that does.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

This is a world based around strategy games. The world requiring conflict to keep moving does fit with that theme rather heavily wouldn't we agree? That is the reason Parson is in Erfworld to begin with, to change that paradigm. Everything in Erfworld is designed around war. There aren't even Civilian units. Every unit directly effects the side and its ability to wage war with other sides, even non-combat units like Nobles. They have a function, they have stats. They give the side they're apart of some bonus. There are no peasants, there are no neutral units caught in the crossfire who would otherwise have lived peacefully and content if it weren't for those troublesome Sides doing their wars. Every unit popped is either a fully function unit used in direct or indirect overworld combat or they serve the side's city by helping production or rations or Schmuckers.

Do we really want Rob to sit down and explain market theory in this world when so many here think he can't even handle a fairly paint by numbers Chosen One story?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Do we really want Rob to sit down and explain market theory in this world when so many here think he can't even handle a fairly paint by numbers Chosen One story?
    Yes.

It'll be hilarious. But the gist is - because war is more profitable than peace, Erfworld is in war.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd guess you gain more by killing stabbers than by growing an equivalent amount of chickens? Gaining levels shown to work that way. Killing stabbers for a few turns give you new level it would take thousands of turns of (peacetime) training to gain the same.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    This is a world based around strategy games. The world requiring conflict to keep moving does fit with that theme rather heavily wouldn't we agree? That is the reason Parson is in Erfworld to begin with, to change that paradigm. Everything in Erfworld is designed around war. There aren't even Civilian units. Every unit directly effects the side and its ability to wage war with other sides, even non-combat units like Nobles. They have a function, they have stats. They give the side they're apart of some bonus. There are no peasants, there are no neutral units caught in the crossfire who would otherwise have lived peacefully and content if it weren't for those troublesome Sides doing their wars. Every unit popped is either a fully function unit used in direct or indirect overworld combat or they serve the side's city by helping production or rations or Schmuckers.

No, I don't want him to try to explain market strategy. It's just something to speculate on.

He will have to address it at some point though if he wants it to make sense when Parson ends wars on erf.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-01-09 at 06:42 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Has there been another example of an side that was actually self sufficient I'm missing?
    Do we count the backer stories? Because if so there's the So-be-it Union.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    I'd guess you gain more by killing stabbers than by growing an equivalent amount of chickens? Gaining levels shown to work that way. Killing stabbers for a few turns give you new level it would take thousands of turns of (peacetime) training to gain the same.
    Especially if you train chickens to be stabbers. But wow would no one see that coming. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Especially if you train chickens to be stabbers. But wow would no one see that coming. :3
    If they played a Zelda game they would.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

And since thousand turns would probably make you unimportant to your side or Fate, your Signamancy would decay. Wanda looks nice because Fate has need of her. Charlie doesn't, because he is fighting his Fate.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    And since thousand turns would probably make you unimportant to your side or Fate, your Signamancy would decay. Wanda looks nice because Fate has need of her. Charlie doesn't, because he is fighting his Fate.
    Maggie has improved a little in the Signamancy department too as she has become more important to Fate. Though, that could also be due to the change of artists over time as well, but it could be both.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Maggie has improved a little in the Signamancy department too as she has become more important to Fate. Though, that could also be due to the change of artists over time as well, but it could be both.
    If I remember correctly, Parson notes in one of the text updates that her Signamancy had gotten softer. So it's in-universe as well.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

22. - Top - End - #142

Maggie softened because of her personality shift as well (and becoming unlinked), so it's more than just the Fate thing.

Also, Wanda didn't always look so great (like when she first met Jillian). Having good Signamancy goes beyond being important to Fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

The system doesn't even really make any sense. We've been told that sides can't make a profit or be self sufficient without taking money from other sides. Where does money come from in the first place then? Will everyone just stop making new units forever once they've mined out their natural resources?
    I think it's a combination of a side's city-shmucker production being diminished past a certain point, unit upkeep, and the general violent nature of neighbors.

Old Faq only had three cities, but had an array of casters to support; Haffaton had a lot of cities, but maintained minimal garrisons for most of them. Traditional sides maintain armies to fend off and take over their neighbor's; Faq avoided conflict by having Jack hide entire cities from scouting parties, while IIRC Haffaton's general defense strategy involved leaving poisoned rations in their cities for invaders to eat, so hopefully they didn't live long enough to threaten a small recapture party.

I've seen it theorized that sides split off satellite/colony sides for the express purpose of avoiding the diminishing returns point, since two "half-sized" sides would outproduce a single "full-sized" side above a certain point.

Parson considered the viability of using unit harvesting to produce enough rations to offset upkeep, potentially leading to a self-stable side, and of course Decrypted have no upkeep.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

24. - Top - End - #144

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    Well, thinking about it, a city produces a certain amount of income based on its level, but doesn't it produce units of some kind constantly? Unless you can turn off production of units, their upkeep will eventually overwhelm your cities' income at some point. If you do stop growing your army, then you're easy pickings and profit for a side that does.
    That was what I originally assumed, but Parson said that if every side in the world was forced to make peace, Erfworld's total population would be decimated. It's annoying that he didn't say why.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    Also, Wanda didn't always look so great (like when she first met Jillian). Having good Signamancy goes beyond being important to Fate.
    Yeah, that was Wanda repaying a Karmic debt to Fate. Brought upon her by both her opposition to Fate and her need to back up her Number.

Wanda has tremendous value in Erfworld score system. According to Mathamancers, the number is repaid, in deaths.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

That was what I originally assumed, but Parson said that if every side in the world was forced to make peace, Erfworld's total population would be decimated. It's annoying that he didn't say why.
    I agree, its unusually annoying. Not the least because it dont make any sense.
    War is expensive, you constantly has to let your cities work to produde soldiers, you need to maintain as big an army as you possibly can. And cant let those soldiers do anything but guard/fight.

And so it simply dont make sense that a sudden peace is going to break that.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

The world is built with semi-artificial rules. If there's a rule: Slaying an enemy stabber gives you 100 schmakers while creating and maintaining stabbers costs 3 schmakers, war and fighting are the big money makers.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2017-01-10 at 11:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    The world is built with semi-artificial rules. If there's a rule: Slaying an enemy stabber gives you 100 schmakers while creating and maintaining stabbers costs 3 schmakers, war and fighting are the big money makers.
    Yes, but no such mechanic has yet been revealed. It's been implied that war is necessary to sustain most sides, but there's no official explanation for why.

The best guess I have right now is a combination of "everyone does it" and Signamancy decay - a side that doesn't actively make war gets beaten by its neighbors who do, and in the mean time deteriorates into fat, complacent, incompetent slobs who are easy pickings to whoever finds them.

Then again, that bit about Parson analyzing the ration-harvesting mechanic for making a self sustaining side makes me think there has to be an economic component - that war somehow produces net positive resources - which would pretty much have to have an artificial mechanic such as you suggest.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-01-10 at 11:47 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    The Magic Kingdom is an island in the middle of an undisclosed ocean. It has apparently never been approached by sea.

Based on the fact that moneyless casters go to the shore to die, spending their last turn looking at the sun set over the ocean it seems like bodies not depopping is the sort of thing that should have been verified easily, unless no one ever bothers to go there and say goodbye and notice the mountain of corpses left behind by bodies not going away over the past few thousand turns. If those bodies are still there it'd be an army of hundreds or thousands of decrypted casters, which seems unlikely.
    Maybe the dwindling resources are the death clock for Erfworld? The net income is negative, and only mining gems puts in new money in the system, but that will run out some day too, and becomes more and more difficult. Small sides may have slight surplus, but have to defend themselves against bigger ones, so they waste that money on units and war and try to become bigger so they can steal from smaller sides themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Then again, that bit about Parson analyzing the ration-harvesting mechanic for making a self sustaining side makes me think there has to be an economic component - that war somehow produces net positive resources - which would pretty much have to have an artificial mechanic such as you suggest.
    Right. That mechanic is razing cities. It's apparently a big money maker for some aggressive sides. There are apparently other ways, though. When it was stronger, TV made a bunch of money through extortion and kidnapping. I don't know how many other sides depend on that.

The Digdug story made it seem as if the economics are in dispute. One side believed in building up cities and maximizing production; the other believed in building up the military and attacking and razing other people's cities. I don't think the story resolved which side was right.