New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Erfworld Thread IX: By the Flower and Gray Skull

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    ...The Little Caesars Hamstard thing was funny though.
    Yep.

Well, Parson is chief warlord again. That's a thing now.
    Fair point I suppose. But then in my opinion this is a text update lacking new content. It's just a review of what we know.
    Well, it also shows us a bit of Parson is thinking (and apparently not thinking), confirms that Benjamin is still sharp (I was beginning to wonder about that), and it raises (granted, not necessarily for the first time) the question of how much more Caesar knows than Parson realizes. There was no mention of Vinny taking Faq city. Perhaps that didn't happen yet, but maybe that's something that Caesar isn't telling Parson about? Don King and Bunny apparently knew that Jillian had captured GKC. They died before telling Caesar the specifics, but did anyone else in TV know and tell Caesar? Vinny could have learned that it was Jillian's intention from Ansom by now or he might have gotten some intelligence from Faq units or treasury documents. (He would certainly want to know what Jillian was up to!) Anyway, Caesar might already know that Jillian took GKC or he might find out very quickly. Jillian wasn't exactly trying to keep it a secret anymore. Maybe that secret isn't such a secret or won't be for long. Since GKC city fell easily to Jillian, Caesar is likely to doubt Parson's claims about GK's guns.

I wouldn't be surprised if Caesar doesn't entirely trust Parson, but decided to gamble on an alliance with him anyway. Parson may find out that he's still having trouble with people withholding information from him, but this time it's Caesar. Or maybe Caesar really is a fairly simple-minded thug. He seemed to completely fall for the lie about poisoned blood. IDK.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Now I'm imagining what pizza delivery would be like in Erfworld... delivery time in turns, extra charge to deliver through battle hexes, chains of flying units to expedite delivery, etc.
    ...do you think Parson's concept for an agribusiness that sells rations to its neighbors is pizza delivery? Same turn delivery using flyer chains, your choice of a wide variety of toppings, and still costs less than the upkeep that'd pop your normal rations?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #183
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    There was no mention of Vinny taking Faq city. Perhaps that didn't happen yet, but maybe that's something that Caesar isn't telling Parson about?
    Another question-- Did Stanley tell Parson their side got a Predictomancer? Unless that too hasn't happened yet, the Tool should of sensed Marie suddenly joining his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    ...do you think Parson's concept for an agribusiness that sells rations to its neighbors is pizza delivery? Same turn delivery using flyer chains, your choice of a wide variety of toppings, and still costs less than the upkeep that'd pop your normal rations?
    Guess my humorous idea dusted faster than Ossomer off a flying carpet.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, what? You don't think sourmander salami slices sell sufficiently?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

An interesting thought, unrelated to anything happening now:

If a Chief Warlord can order their overlord not to disband them (when it would be vital to the side), can they also order their overlord to make them a heir? It's not hard to see situations where doing so would be absolutely essential for the side to survive.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    An interesting thought, unrelated to anything happening now:

If a Chief Warlord can order their overlord not to disband them (when it would be vital to the side), can they also order their overlord to make them a heir? It's not hard to see situations where doing so would be absolutely essential for the side to survive.
    On the other hand, that, unlike disbanding, also costs resources, so you'd have to argue that having the heir outweighs the costs of spending those resources.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. I suppose it would depend on if the cost of promoting someone to heir was enough of an expenditure to weaken the side's ability to continue.

I guess a case could also be made, in the case of the Chief Warlord declaring themselves heir, that naming oneself heir while in prime position to overthrow the Ruler with force would not be in the side's best interests regardless. Or that in theory, a Chief Warlord is going to be targeted and eliminated before the Ruler is exposed, so there's not enough added security for the side to declare it "vital".

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    On the other hand, that, unlike disbanding, also costs resources, so you'd have to argue that having the heir outweighs the costs of spending those resources.
    Yeah. But if you're in a situation where the overlord is unequivocally about to die, it's obviously best for the side for to have an heir, so it would be within the Chief Warlord's duty to order the overlord to appoint one. And if they're unequivocally the best choice for the side, they could order the overlord to appoint them.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah. But if you're in a situation where the overlord is unequivocally about to die, it's obviously best for the side for to have an heir, so it would be within the Chief Warlord's duty to order the overlord to appoint one. And if they're unequivocally the best choice for the side, they could order the overlord to appoint them.
    Also, if that side is obscenely wealthy, then the cost of an heir wouldn't much of a factor, and if your leader has a habit of impulsively riding out into battle and putting himself in danger...then ordering an heir seems like a pretty good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

A potential problem there, is that both instances of designating an heir we've seen involve physical contact with the heir being so designated. If that's a strict requirement of the designation procedure, there wouldn't be nearly as many opportunities for it.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if you're going to order your liege to make you heir, there are serious political concerns. My understanding is that ordering your overlord around only works when they actually believe your orders are vital to the side's survival - Parson was able to order Stanley not to disband him because Stanley knew, deep down inside, that disbanding Parson was a terrible idea.

If your liege is about to die, that's not a concern - it's unlikely they can come up with a rationale to ignore your order at that point. But if they're just constantly risking their lives, and you order them to make you heir, they can stop for a moment, convince themselves that you're planning to overthrow them and that this would be bad for the side, and disband you (or, if you ordered them not to disband you, they could start moving towards a situation where it wouldn't hurt the side to do so, ie. lining up a competent replacement - luckily for Parson, Stanley isn't smart enough to play with the rules like this and seems to have decided that it's simpler to just trust him.)

So it's playing with fire. You don't just need a situation where you believe it's in the best interests of the side to give the order; you need a situation where the overlord can't weasel out by convincing themselves your orders aren't good for the side (and most overlords are used to thinking of themselves as being the one who knows best - again, Stanley is probably an exception here despite his bluster. Deep down, he knows he's in over his head, so he's more vulnerable to being pushed around.)

Basically, if you give an order to your overlord in a situation where they'll have a chance to sit back and reflect on it later, you're sort of depending on them ultimately being OK with it.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2017-01-11 at 05:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

RedWizardGuy

A potential problem there, is that both instances of designating an heir we've seen involve physical contact with the heir being so designated. If that's a strict requirement of the designation procedure, there wouldn't be nearly as many opportunities for it.
    https://wiki.erfworld.com/IPTSF_Text_26

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Another question-- Did Stanley tell Parson their side got a Predictomancer? Unless that too hasn't happened yet, the Tool should of sensed Marie suddenly joining his side.
    I'd guess not. Stanley knew the arkenpliers had gone to the MK because of a "caster thing" involving Sizemore, and Stanley would have sensed that Marie was a predictomancer with zero upkeep, which implied she was decrypted. He would have also sensed the other two decrypted casters. He didn't seem to have mentioned any of that to Parson, though. If he had, I think it would have come up in Parson's notes about Wanda.

Stanley apparently barely had time to tell Parson about GK falling, so he probably said little else. On top of that, Stanley had gotten angry at Antium and Bonnie because he was jealous of their loyalty to Wanda. (That's probably one reason Parson became Chief Warlord again so quickly.) Stanley had gone back to basics and was drilling like a piker with the Juggle Elves and was avoiding dealing with things involving Wanda and the arkenpliers and casters because those subjects made him feel like he didn't know what he was doing. Given that, he probably would have been somewhat reluctant to bring those subjects up (and would have downplayed them if he did), even if Maggie had plenty of juice.

Actually, I tried to think a little about what the toppings might be like. Maybe there would be pepper-onies, which might be a type of spicy ponies? That doesn't sound very appealing, though, so I stopped.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Ah, happening in text would explain why I didn't remember seeing it Nevermind, then.

Actually, I tried to think a little about what the toppings might be like. Maybe there would be pepper-onies, which might be a type of spicy ponies? That doesn't sound very appealing, though, so I stopped.
    I think since pig-related foods do pop, traditional toppings should be acceptable.

Parson's idea about centering an economy on mount harvesting needs mounts, though. Hence, sourmander salami slices. Tingly tart taste, for the perfect pizza pie. Gobwin-tested, Titan-approved*.

Aside from that, pepper-oni sounds more like a variety of daemon.

* Where "Titan" may or may not mean "extraterrestrial warlord summoned by one wielder of a Titanic artifact into the service of a wielder of a different Titanic artifact".
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2017-01-11 at 05:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

DwarfClericGuy

Normally, but that's boring.

What if your rations don't pop a pizza and you really want one? ;)
    Ask your ruler to spring for a small upkeep up charge.
    FTDWIR

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Yes. Updating.

God, I was wrong. Text updates, give so much more meat than comics ever could. /s

I like that mid comic, Rob does a recap comic. It's like he doubts we are paying attention.
    Or maybe he pays attention to the confusion in the forums?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

17. - Top - End - #197

Tangent question-- can Stanley designate Jed as heir?

I'd guess not. Stanley knew the arkenpliers had gone to the MK because of a "caster thing" involving Sizemore, and Stanley would have sensed that Marie was a predictomancer with zero upkeep, which implied she was decrypted. He would have also sensed the other two decrypted casters. He didn't seem to have mentioned any of that to Parson, though. If he had, I think it would have come up in Parson's notes about Wanda.
    Dang it, Tool. These are things your chief warlord needs to know!

Well maybe it's a good thing so many of GK's important units are off in the field/other places cause I think there's soon gonna be a bunch o' caster barbarians about. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Or maybe he pays attention to the confusion in the forums?
    First what confusion? Second? Why would he? Besides, it's not like this summary summarizes everything.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

To question the actual content in the update: What do you think Benjamin asked Parson about the bracer?

The Tool probably would have told him more, assuming all the rest that we've seen has happened by the time of this writing, but Bonnie ran out of juice while working out the terms of their partnership. That might also not be information he wants to share over Bonnie's connection.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

It occurs to me that Moneymancers like Benjamin would have an innate ability to determine the value of things -- gems, equipment, units, and statements. It may well be that Benjamin has a way to tell when someone is misleading him or his side.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

It's entirely possible that Marie will be slipping through TV's portal in a few moments to speak to him. After all, she's a predictomancer, so she can predict where she needs to go.

She's probably going to be the catalyst for whatever happens next, either way, since she's the only fully-informed unit on GK's side.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2017-01-13 at 02:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I expect Marie to be very busy working at saving Wanda.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I expect Marie to be very busy working at saving Wanda.
    I wonder if Marie will give Wanda a verbal smack-down she deserves, or just blindly adore her...

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic. Haha, just kidding.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

New comic. Haha, just kidding.
    Erfworld's done pretty well updating on time for over a year. They missed one for the holidays, the horror, and one today. That's better than it's ever been.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Plus, at least now, every time they update a comic we get a "heads up, we're missing a comic for [reasons]" (even if sometimes [reasons] is "we can't tell you the reasons.")

This does make things a bit better.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Erfworld's done pretty well updating on time for over a year. They missed one for the holidays, the horror, and one today. That's better than it's ever been.
    It's funny. Didn't you complain about Erfworld breaking the chain, and being miffed at it?

I don't care. But I meant it as a sarcastic(?) barb. The more interesting part is "I don't want to tell you reasons"
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-01-13 at 09:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

It's funny. Didn't you complain about Erfworld breaking the chain, and being miffed at it?
    I complained at Rob's tone.

I don't care. But I meant it as a sarcastic(?) bard. The more interesting part is "I don't want to tell you reasons"
    It's barb. And he doesn't owe it to us to tell us why. It continues my problem with the above however in that his tone is, as usual, pretty bratty.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    It continues my problem with the above however in that his tone is, as usual, pretty bratty.
    I thought the tone was okay up until he mentioned the part about suggestions. I dunno. Probably could be worded better.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I have zero problems with his tone. If I had to deal with the kind of feedback this comic gets, I'd really like to have people make suggestions about my work in a manner consistent with "treat others the way you'd like to be treated" too. Luckily I don't have to deal with so many opinionated people ^_^