New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread IX: By the Flower and Gray Skull

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Pfft. I thought about Deal to Die For around the time book two was out.

People that die in pier depop. No decryption there.

Why not offer them a Deal to serve GK as Decrypted, for the duration of the deal?Afterwards, using special Turnamancy*, you return to live out rest of your life as a Barbarian Decrypted caster?

*Actually thinkamancy.
    Because she doesn't have a Thinkamancer right now? Or a Turnamancer.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-01-17 at 05:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

To be frank, I doubt Wanda would ever consider a plan that involves her letting Decrypted go. She is too stupid to see the big picture.

This was a balls to the walls theory, how GK could both get more casters, and change attitude towards Decryption.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I can't help but feel he's being disingenuous when he asks for opinions on what to do better.
    I did not read it that way. I read it more in a "please don't be an ass when giving suggestions" way. It is not like he can stop people from giving suggestions, and with the size of the fanbase, the change of not getting any is pretty near zero.

I mean, sure, if he doesn't care for it he might have written "please don't send any suggestions, I'm not interested in them" but...well, you have been in the internet, you know that would not diminish the amount of vitriol-filled suggestions received, right?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Einstein's paper introducing his Special Theory of Relativity had no references. He released three other very important papers, one of which introduced the E=mc^2 equation, the same year. None of those papers had references either. His later paper introducing his General Theory of Relativity had only one reference, his own paper on the Special Theory of Relativity. Einstein began with a few postulates and derived everything in the papers from them himself, so he didn't need references.
    Er, no. Not sure if he formally mentioned references in his papers but his physics is based on Maxwell's equations and also the mathematics and pretty good approximations of Newton. Einstein didn't begin from nothing.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Take a good look at the end of that update:

... the involvement of the tower entity as possible actor [, causing] the unsealing of the two oldest decision spaces in the temple record
    The two oldest decision spaces involve Jed-like structures.

So the great minds know about these, and have known about these, and have surpressed knowledge of them.

Reading this update, and the whole "This hurts our side less than it hurts their side", plus the complete disregard for someone that might hurt the GM's, I am now more than ever convinced that the GM's should be Parson's target, and if GK and CC could possibly stop and compare notes, the GM's would face a battle of epic proportions.

Also: MK Zombie Apocalypse for the win!
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I am now more than ever convinced that the GM's should be Parson's target, and if GK and CC could possibly stop and compare notes, the GM's would face a battle of epic proportions.
    The GMs are looking increasingly villain-like, but Charlie needs to go down too and Parson may not have the power to pull that off without GM assistance. What Parson really needs to do is play the GMs and CC off each other until he can eliminate both.

Also: MK Zombie Apocalypse for the win!
    That would be one hell of a batch of superpowered zombies. I think the GMs are completely correct in their concern over that particular scenario, however misguided and/or selfish their other conclusions might be.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

by the way, who is drawn in the first pic? Is it Maggie?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    The GMs are looking increasingly villain-like, but Charlie needs to go down too and Parson may not have the power to pull that off without GM assistance. What Parson really needs to do is play the GMs and CC off each other until he can eliminate both.
    Oh how I miss Parson doing what he does best; "warlording".

I have a feeling this book will end with Charlie pulling out an ace up his sleeve and doing something very damaging to the MK, eliminating most of it as a threat.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Take a good look at the end of that update:

The two oldest decision spaces involve Jed-like structures.

So the great minds know about these, and have known about these, and have surpressed knowledge of them.
    No. Closing a decision space merely means that they think they know whatever there is to know about that topic (they made a decision), so they think they don't need to think about it anymore. It doesn't mean that they have suppressed knowledge. I think that passage meant that what Jed did contradicts a couple parts of their fundamental understanding of how Erfworld works.

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Er, no. Not sure if he formally mentioned references in his papers but his physics is based on Maxwell's equations and also the mathematics and pretty good approximations of Newton. Einstein didn't begin from nothing.
    Yes, but you don't need to cite references for something that's become generally accepted and you are expecting the reader to already know. Einstein was expecting that the readers would already be familiar with Maxwell's equations and also that there were problems with them. The English translation of his paper on the Special Theory of Relativity (PDF) begins:
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    It is known that Maxwell’s electrodynamics—as usually understood at the present time—when applied to moving bodies, leads to asymmetries which do not appear to be inherent in the phenomena.
    We're a bit off topic here, I think.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-18 at 11:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I have a feeling this book will end with Charlie pulling out an ace up his sleeve and doing something very damaging to the MK, eliminating most of it as a threat.
    And that ace will have nothing at all to do with Wanda. Her loyalties have always been ironclad, even when her friends have abandoned her to her death she will never join Charlie, never croak and decrypt the great minds, never give Parson a unified band of evil to face off against. /s
    "The error is to be human"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Pfft. I thought about Deal to Die For around the time book two was out.
    Apparently great minds think alike.

People that die in pier depop. No decryption there.
    True. Lots of casters croaked in the battle between GK and CC, though. Have their bodies decayed at this point?

Why not offer them a Deal to serve GK as Decrypted, for the duration of the deal?Afterwards, using special Turnamancy*, you return to live out rest of your life as a Barbarian Decrypted caster?
    I can think of one, relatively horrifying, reason. Wanda need not bargain with Casters who are already dead. If the entire MK is against you anyway, the potential returns from mass croaking and decryption look very nice given the risk. This is especially true now that the MK has decided to kill Wanda.

In fact, I expect this is what she was starting when she attacked Janice. (She may not have thought this through, but the scenario looks a lot like one where everyone ends up dead and her hat is missing.)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    True. Lots of casters croaked in the battle between GK and CC, though. Have their bodies decayed at this point?
    It was stated that all the ones except for, I believe just Marie, were claimed by barbarian Croakamancers, and raised as ordinary, decaying, Uncroaked.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    (She may not have thought this through, but the scenario looks a lot like one where everyone ends up dead and her hat is missing.)
    ROFL.

But the thing is, this time it might be a good plan. And where will she steal or otherwise take a new hat from?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

14. - Top - End - #254

But the thing is, this time it might be a good plan. And where will she steal or otherwise take a new hat from?
    Maybe she can borrow Jack's tophat?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe she can borrow Jack's tophat?
    Knowing Wanda, she'll probably wear Jack's head as a tophat.

16. - Top - End - #256

Knowing Wanda, she'll probably wear Jack's head as a tophat.
    Knowing Jack, he'll somehow find a way to make that happen.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

ROFL.

From a link with a dollamancer and a shockamancer? Dollamancer for the hat, shockamancer so it is really stylish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic.

Wah, wah, waaaah.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Lot's of guilt trip. We'll see if it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

20. - Top - End - #260
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Is this going to spur Sizemore to make a rescue attempt?

Hmm, what could he do... Available assets are himself and Ace, as the only ones able to enter the portal, plus as yet uncoordinated casters already in the MK, of which he knows of Wanda, Marie, and Janis (who is merely friendly, not loyal, and I suspect will be aiming for a mercy kill). Wanda seems helpless until freed, Marie will likely take care of inserting herself into whatever plan takes place, Predicting where she's needed.

Opposing forces: every free caster who realizes what he's up to.

Stealth is called for. Fortunately, the Great Minds are temporarily blinded by the New Bargain while they work out new loopholes.

I'm going to guess that Sizemore will dig a tunnel underground, trying to reach Wanda undetected. Either by coincidence or with guidance from Marie, he will encounter Claud and Ivan on their way out. They will then break into the Dirtamansion together and free Wanda. He might bring the Arkenpliers with him, figuring losing them on failure is no big loss but having them will be a big help on the homeward stretch of a success, or he might leave them securely in the city in case of future attunement to a new wielder.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is this going to spur Sizemore to make a rescue attempt?

Hmm, what could he do... Available assets are himself and Ace, as the only ones able to enter the portal, plus as yet uncoordinated casters already in the MK, of which he knows of Wanda, Marie, and Janis (who is merely friendly, not loyal, and I suspect will be aiming for a mercy kill). Wanda seems helpless until freed, Marie will likely take care of inserting herself into whatever plan takes place, Predicting where she's needed.

Opposing forces: every free caster who realizes what he's up to.

Stealth is called for. Fortunately, the Great Minds are temporarily blinded by the New Bargain while they work out new loopholes.

I'm going to guess that Sizemore will dig a tunnel underground, trying to reach Wanda undetected. Either by coincidence or with guidance from Marie, he will encounter Claud and Ivan on their way out. They will then break into the Dirtamansion together and free Wanda. He might bring the Arkenpliers with him, figuring losing them on failure is no big loss but having them will be a big help on the homeward stretch of a success, or he might leave them securely in the city in case of future attunement to a new wielder.
    Spoiler: New Page
    Show
    I have this theory that Charlie has the little action figure using the Wonky Wrench to dig out the foundation under the Great Mind's palace. When it collapses suddenly, most people aren't going to know what happened, and if the GM's suffer heavy losses, well that's just too darn bad, right? Certainly would cause enough chaos for Sizemore to take advantage and free Wanda.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: New Page
    Show
    I have this theory that Charlie has the little action figure using the Wonky Wrench to dig out the foundation under the Great Mind's palace. When it collapses suddenly, most people aren't going to know what happened, and if the GM's suffer heavy losses, well that's just too darn bad, right? Certainly would cause enough chaos for Sizemore to take advantage and free Wanda.
    The action figure took away crates and crates of guns and ammo, right? What if it took all the gunpower out of the bullets and packed it directly under the floor, then lit a trail of gunpowder leading to that?

I think Charlie would have wanted the guns moved to where Charlie's archons could get at them. Still, I want to see the action figure using the guns at some point. It would be like AK-47s sprouting feet and running around and automatically firing. The GMs probably wouldn't have any idea what to do at first. Ivan and Claude might be the first to run into that, though.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Do we know if the action figure can use the wrench though?
    Is it not a rather limited unit?

And is it not more or less nececary for the story that it cant use it? else it would be impossible for Claude and Ivan to follow it, and their decryption would be completely pointless.
    Meanwhile if it cant use them, then those 2 would be able to find the wrench, and most likely either resque Wanda or give it to Sizemore.

Also, who here suspect he will get to bond to the wrench at some point?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Also, who here suspect he will get to bond to the wrench at some point?
    '

I didn't think the Wonky Wrench was an Arkentool. There are only supposed to be 4 of them. A powerful tool yes, but not that powerful that we have seen.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    '

I didn't think the Wonky Wrench was an Arkentool. There are only supposed to be 4 of them. A powerful tool yes, but not that powerful that we have seen.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's one of those gamebreaker multilinked item creations.

On the one hand, I'm curious about some of these multilinked items are OP even compared to the Arkentools.

On the other, I'm reminded of the custom Epic Item Creation rules in DND, and how they can be really powerful.

26. - Top - End - #266

The action figure took away crates and crates of guns and ammo, right? What if it took all the gunpower out of the bullets and packed it directly under the floor, then lit a trail of gunpowder leading to that?
    Make a Guy Fawkes reference out of that, then?

"Remember, remember, on turn 5 you surrender..."

I think Charlie would have wanted the guns moved to where Charlie's archons could get at them. Still, I want to see the action figure using the guns at some point. It would be like AK-47s sprouting feet and running around and automatically firing. The GMs probably wouldn't have any idea what to do at first. Ivan and Claude might be the first to run into that, though.
    Tiny figure using a big rifle... heh, that would be amusing. All it has to do is create a bit of chaos to give Sizemore his opening to free Wanda.

Hmm, since Charlie rigged his portal to allow anything to pass through, wonder if he also rigged how it opens and closes?

Do we know if the action figure can use the wrench though?
    Is it not a rather limited unit?
    No idea who can and cannot use it, but I'd guess it'll work for any Dirtamancer.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

No idea who can and cannot use it, but I'd guess it'll work for any Dirtamancer.
    Even if it can't. Charlie is a Carnymancer.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Im not certain even a master class Carnymancer can cheat an arkentool.

But also, i can see arguments for why it may or may not be an arkentool after all. And i am currently on the fence on the subject.

On one hand it seems to break basic rules of the world. On the other hand it would seem like it would be treated like a bigger deal had it been such a tool.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

How can the Wonky Wrench be an Arkentool when we know Charlie and Ivan created it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Im not certain even a master class Carnymancer can cheat an arkentool.

But also, i can see arguments for why it may or may not be an arkentool after all. And i am currently on the fence on the subject.

On one hand it seems to break basic rules of the world. On the other hand it would seem like it would be treated like a bigger deal had it been such a tool.
    We know for a fact it isn't an Arkentool. You're the only one seeming to be under this misapprehension.