New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Wouldn't this make you understand the entire Mathematics language. Would also be hella useful for those who take advantage of understanding every single programming and scripting language
    ... I dunno. Sort of. Yes, Math and Programming can be thought of as languages, but think about it this way. Imagine if you used Comprehend Languages to understand an Elf talking about deep, arcane subjects that you have no context to understand (let's suppose you normally can't speak elven).

The spell might translate the words, but it doesn't help you Comprehend Concepts. It only translates directly and doesn't actually help you understand things that you wouldn't understand without a language barrier.

Math may be a language, but you'd still need to take ranks in Knowledge (relevant sciences) before instinctively understanding math would really be all that helpful.

Likewise with programming. It would be immensely helpful to be able to innately understand a computer's code when it comes to programming, but without an understanding of fundamental programming skills, it could easily come across as useless information. You might know what the computer is saying, but still not have the skill to reply in a meaningful way. After all, you can input any phrase you want into a computer console, but most inputs will result in an error message.

You'd probably be better off using magic to build a computer so it could magically understand and obey your commands automatically and disregarding language barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Chickens aren't a luxury good. Sure, market saturation would drive down the cost, but at the end of the day, food is still a necessity that people will always buy. And since my expenses for these chickens are virtually non-existent, I will still make a hearty profit off each one. Hell, I could sell them for one buck a pop, and I'd still become obscenely wealthy.
    Your expenses are time, manual labor, and logistical distribution. In theory, drawing a component out of your pouch is considered a free action. In theory, there is no limit to how many free actions you can take per round.

But talking in combat is a free action, too, and traditionally that has limits (so you can't just filibuster a monster into submission without class features that are Ex, Su, or Sp, or at least a Skill Check with a sizeable DC). Physically removing a finite amount of chickens from your bag is going to take a specific amount of time. You still have infinite chickens EVENTUALLY, but how quickly you can produce them is still very much a limit on your production. (In fact, if you try to imagine pulling a real chicken out of a real bag and do a stopwatch experiment, I doubt you could do much better than 1 or 2 chickens a round.)

Then there is manual labor. It isn't much of a physical strain to pull a chicken out of a bag, but if you spend a whole work day (8 hours) pulling chickens out of a bag, you're going to feel the physical strain (and you're going to be hungry, so set a few chickens aside for later).

Give it 1.5 chickens per round average for an 8 hour work day (each hour has 600 rounds), that's about 7200 chickens a day, or 36,000 chickens for a 5 day work week. Also, Chicken Infested only gives you about a 50% chance your components turn into a chicken, so cut this production in half.

$18,000 a week is a really good pay rate in our society, but we haven't gone into business expenses and federal or state taxes on your products yet (god help us if you want to sell internationally).

But who are you going to sell 18,000 live chickens to every week? Most people don't want to eat living chickens, so you'd have to sell to a butcher, or a large scale chicken supplier.

The large scale chicken supplier would probably be your best bet as it fixes your other problem: Logistics and Distribution (you have no magic powers to deliver your product to people across the country, so.... fedex?). The incentive for chicken is hunger, but you'll saturate your local market for chicken rather quickly (especially if your customers have to butcher the chicken themselves). If you want real earnings, you'll need the ability to sell to a national market. This means either getting hired by a corporation like Tyson, or slowly building your business from the ground up and competing with corporations like Tyson.

Sum and total: Having access to an unlimited amount of chicken does not by itself equal unlimited profit. You'll need a strong business chassis to really get off the ground. Companies today can already just clone chickens for unlimited quantity. It's just that you've found a faster, cheaper way with magic.
    Last edited by Pleh; 2016-12-31 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Combined posts to avoid double post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorcerer or telepath - telepath is superior, but my charisma is just better than my int. I already have good diplomacy skill, combine that with charm person and the only question that remains is should I use my powers for good or evil?
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
    But talking in combat is a free action, too, and traditionally that has limits (so you can't just filibuster a monster into submission without class features that are Ex, Su, or Sp, or at least a Skill Check with a sizeable DC). Physically removing a finite amount of chickens from your bag is going to take a specific amount of time. You still have infinite chickens EVENTUALLY, but how quickly you can produce them is still very much a limit on your production. (In fact, if you try to imagine pulling a real chicken out of a real bag and do a stopwatch experiment, I doubt you could do much better than 1 or 2 chickens a round.)

Then there is manual labor. It isn't much of a physical strain to pull a chicken out of a bag, but if you spend a whole work day (8 hours) pulling chickens out of a bag, you're going to feel the physical strain (and you're going to be hungry, so set a few chickens aside for later).

Give it 1.5 chickens per round average for an 8 hour work day (each hour has 600 rounds), that's about 7200 chickens a day, or 36,000 chickens for a 5 day work week. Also, Chicken Infested only gives you about a 50% chance your components turn into a chicken, so cut this production in half.

$18,000 a week is a really good pay rate in our society, but we haven't gone into business expenses and federal or state taxes on your products yet (god help us if you want to sell internationally).

But who are you going to sell 18,000 live chickens to every week? Most people don't want to eat living chickens, so you'd have to sell to a butcher, or a large scale chicken supplier.

The large scale chicken supplier would probably be your best bet as it fixes your other problem: Logistics and Distribution (you have no magic powers to deliver your product to people across the country, so.... fedex?). The incentive for chicken is hunger, but you'll saturate your local market for chicken rather quickly (especially if your customers have to butcher the chicken themselves). If you want real earnings, you'll need the ability to sell to a national market. This means either getting hired by a corporation like Tyson, or slowly building your business from the ground up and competing with corporations like Tyson.

Sum and total: Having access to an unlimited amount of chicken does not by itself equal unlimited profit. You'll need a strong business chassis to really get off the ground. Companies today can already just clone chickens for unlimited quantity. It's just that you've found a faster, cheaper way with magic.
    If you're selling those chickens commercially, the USDA is going to want a documented chain of custody, likely with a physical inspection of the chicken farm at some point. "Magic chickens" could be any number of things, and the FDA will likely require a 5-10 year study at your expense to prove that they are safe.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-12-31 at 10:15 AM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Would it be too much to ask to take this chicken discussion to another thread? You're derailing this one.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Evolutionist Summoner

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm thinking I'll go with investigator. They get extracts, which I like, and eventually mutagens, without the pesky FBI being worried about me creating bombs. The ability to boost my skill checks is gravy, since I probably only have a 13 INT, much as I'd like to boost it to 15...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

pathfinder I will probably go aegis with upcoming starfinder contend i will have good amount of power at my disposal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #68

NecromancerGuy

In all seriousness though, I'd probably say pathfinder wizard. Lots of useful spells for life. Like Unseen Servant.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

You know, a thought occurs, and isn't precluded by the rules. So as this thread is not yet finalized, I revise my prior answer.

Gestalt Warlock 1 // Psion (Telepath) 1.

There. Now my mind can rest easy.
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2017-01-01 at 12:31 AM.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Gestalt is two classes. You can only pick one.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Gestalt is two classes. You can only pick one.
    Pooh. You're no fun.

Still have to go with Warlock, then. All-day at-will powers are a heck of a thing. Besides, at low levels, a Psion - even a Telepath - can do bugger all. You have 2 PP/day (plus more based on Int, but even with an Int like mine you'd only have a total of 6), and most of what you can use is rubbish. You're not getting anything good for another two years.

But Warlock? Out of the gate, a blast and an invocation. Could be a number of things, although Beguiling Influence or All-Seeing Eyes seem particularly useful. And once Lesser Invocations come around, there are three perfect ones just waiting - Charm, Walk Unseen, and Fell Flight. At that point you pretty much rule the world.

Try defending yourself as a Psion. You have to sleep sometime. Can you go invisible? Because a Warlock can.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pooh. You're no fun.

Still have to go with Warlock, then. All-day at-will powers are a heck of a thing. Besides, at low levels, a Psion - even a Telepath - can do bugger all. You have 2 PP/day (plus more based on Int, but even with an Int like mine you'd only have a total of 6), and most of what you can use is rubbish. You're not getting anything good for another two years.

But Warlock? Out of the gate, a blast and an invocation. Could be a number of things, although Beguiling Influence or All-Seeing Eyes seem particularly useful. And once Lesser Invocations come around, there are three perfect ones just waiting - Charm, Walk Unseen, and Fell Flight. At that point you pretty much rule the world.

Try defending yourself as a Psion. You have to sleep sometime. Can you go invisible? Because a Warlock can.
    Sounds like you need the psionic conversion for eldritch theurge. Warlock 3/psion 3 (or ardent 2 with Practiced Manifester)/eldritch theurge 10/psion or ardent the rest of the way. Sounds like a no-lose situation, especially if rebuilding is not an option (even via negative levels and greater restoration).
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2017-01-01 at 08:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground

Can my class be Purple? If not, then, uh, Psion(Egoist). In just six more years, I'll be able to use Psychic Reformation and become a Metamorphasis Machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Commoner. I have extremely low aspirations.

Or possibly artificer so I can maybe build something that can do all the hard work for me.
    Could be worse, you could be a truenamer.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ludic View Post
    Could be worse, you could be a truenamer.
    OTOH, Truenamers never have to worry about breaking their favorite mug after a certain point. Then again, well, Mending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #75

I'm torn between two Pathfinder archetypes: Unsworn Shaman or the Synthesist Summoner.

The shaman has a longer ramp-up time, but a higher power level at the end, while the Summoner's "Iron Man" thing would be cool to try.

Ah, who am I trying to kid? I choose the Synthesist.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    OTOH, Truenamers never have to worry about breaking their favorite mug after a certain point. Then again, well, Mending.
    Assuming you can make the turespeak DC to know the mug's name.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Why wait for the playtesting to end?

Avowed 1, elemental pact (water)

Str 9, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 13

Shapes: aether blast, aether circus
    Clause: hidden knowledge

Feats: ability focus: aether pulse, silent recitation

The tide sweeps you away
    But no further can you be
    Than one night's sleep through winter
    Time is nothing more to me
    Oh and the ocean is your voice
    It's howling, "Half my life is dead"
    And I am screaming bloody murder
    Breaking promises and bread
    And I am screaming bloody murder
    Breaking promises and bread

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Legendary drednoght. Best at meele.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    I'm torn between two Pathfinder archetypes: Unsworn Shaman or the Synthesist Summoner.

The shaman has a longer ramp-up time, but a higher power level at the end, while the Summoner's "Iron Man" thing would be cool to try.

Ah, who am I trying to kid? I choose the Synthesist.
    For Iron Man, you're probably better off with the Aegis.

Compare. First off, the Summoner uses arcane spells, which means it has to worry about components and highly visual effects. And while the Aegis does not receive powers, it is a psionic class and receives power points; if you multiclass or PrC, or harness Power Stones, those points carry, and psionics - as has come up repeatedly in this thread - require neither components or messy visual effects. Second, a Summoner's Eidolon is immediately banished if the Summoner is unconscious; nowhere does the language of Synthesist change that. The Aegis has no such language with respect to his Astral Suit; once formed, it remains formed unless dismissed or otherwise removed. So you can sleep in that bad boy.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe I should have gone generic caster-1/ human paragon-1 instead. Hmm... no, chameleon will have better payouts in time.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

For Iron Man, you're probably better off with the Aegis.

Compare. First off, the Summoner uses arcane spells, which means it has to worry about components and highly visual effects. And while the Aegis does not receive powers, it is a psionic class and receives power points; if you multiclass or PrC, or harness Power Stones, those points carry, and psionics - as has come up repeatedly in this thread - require neither components or messy visual effects. Second, a Summoner's Eidolon is immediately banished if the Summoner is unconscious; nowhere does the language of Synthesist change that. The Aegis has no such language with respect to his Astral Suit; once formed, it remains formed unless dismissed or otherwise removed. So you can sleep in that bad boy.
    If you go Pathfinder, anything that can craft magical things can get you an iron man suit, thanks to construct armor.

Side note: As discussed in the last thread, for a Pathfinder crafter (who needs worry only about the GP value in crafting), Salt is about the best source. 5 GP per pound, and you can find 50 pound bags for under $20 quite easily.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2017-01-01 at 03:59 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hm... What class, what class... Gonna have to say binder. The versatility combined with the cool factor...
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

But can you "Kilgrave" your way with Charm + Diplomacy with Warlock at level 1? It'd be so easy to track every playgrounder's IP by controlling the right person. Easy to turn people against those "witches", and possessing an obscenely, obviously magical ability isn't gonna help one's case. I would've expected more subtlety out of the gate from Red Fel, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

24. - Top - End - #84

Huh. Think I'll go with spell to power erudite, flaw-shaky, feats-overchannel, talented, and able learner.

25. - Top - End - #85

I'm now a 3.5 Ranger-1.

Str: 9
    Dex: 8
    Con: 12
    Int: 13
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 9
    ...This account for middle age adjustments, yay me.

Feat: Self-Sufficient (+2 to Heal and Survival)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm... Bard. I love stories in all their forms, and I actually have plans for an OotS-style webcomic in the future. Not for a few years, though, but I *will* get to it eventually.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    But can you "Kilgrave" your way with Charm + Diplomacy with Warlock at level 1? It'd be so easy to track every playgrounder's IP by controlling the right person. Easy to turn people against those "witches", and possessing an obscenely, obviously magical ability isn't gonna help one's case. I would've expected more subtlety out of the gate from Red Fel, really.
    I picked Warlock in order to get things I can't already do.

Please. The fact that you even ask this proves just how powerful I already am. Why do I need to magically control minds when I don't need magic for it?

I'll take invisibility, flying, and lasers, at will. Those are things currently beyond my means.

Besides, look over the Psion powers list again. At first level, the Psion can't "Kilgrave" either. At best, you can Charm one person, for one hour - if he fails a save - twice a day. I don't need saves. Ask anybody on this forum who plays LG - you don't get saves when I'm talking.

Subtlety is valuable. But when you already have subtlety in abundance, sometimes what you need is precisely the opposite.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Conceal Thoughts is pretty nice though. And Empathy doesn't offer a save.

I'm probably sticking with Bard. I do like skills, and I'll need CL 3 for Obtain Familiar. I might retrain to Sphere Bard for my PF build, maybe.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Conceal Thoughts is pretty nice though. And Empathy doesn't offer a save.
    Conceal Thoughts has two effects. The first is a big boost to Bluff, but only versus Sense Motive, and only when it's being used to discern your intentions, which is fairly limited. The second is a bonus against actual mind-reading, and assuming you're the only person with class levels in the world, that's really not a thing. By contrast, Beguiling Whispers gives a straight-up +6 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate, without qualifiers, all day.

And Empathy lets you know what people around you are feeling. If you're me, you already know that - angry, confused, intimidated, awed, or any combination of the three.

Out of curiosity, can we take PF feat progression?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Do we get age adjustments based upon our actual age?
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall