New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So, Total War: Warhammer

Depending on the relative composition of your stack and the ones chasing you, Hidden Encampment and Beastman Ambush can be very handy for turning the tables. Every Beastman campaign I've played has involved a fair bit of running away, hiding, and returning when the enemies' backs are turned. But if you're on the back hoof enough that you think you need to restart then that could well be the right call - it's no fun just trying to survive while the AI economy builds past the tipping point of being beatable.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

That's exactly what happened. I spent too long sitting around in Hidden Encampment stance trying to build high tier buildings and top off my troops after casualties resulted in the AI being able to build their economy to the point that they could field multiple large armies and their settlements were too well-defended for me to pillage without taking large amounts of casualties that left me vulnerable when they sent armies to counter-attack.

And I made the mistake of trying to fight both Marienburg and the Cult of Ulric at the same time, thinking Marienburg would be an easy sack to build my horde further and not realizing I couldn't opt for a ceasefire once I'd kicked that hornet nest.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2017-03-09 at 05:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

I'm playing a bretonnian campaign and I picked Chaos for my Errantry War. However I pretty much forgot about it (Louen was dead at the time) and wiped out Archaon's invasion anyway. Since then, whenever I try to select the Errantry War quest on the quests screen it's greyed out: it says "the errantry war is not available." Have I made the campaign unwinnable for myself?

Bretonnia's endgame is also really odd- you literally only have to accumulate honor and win the Errantry War. My Errantry was against the greenskins, so King Louie had to wander off into the desert just before Chaos launched a major invasion. Despite the fact that my capital was partially on fire and surrounded by chaos enemies and we were on the eve of a massive siege battle, the people of Bretonnia declared that having removed orcs from the world was good enough and the history books would end the story here.
    I'm in the opposite position to this. We're the biggest and best in the world, we kicked Archaon's ass and killed his Daemon buddy with (literally) about a thousand peasants - and now we're twiddling our thumbs waiting for Archaon to show up again so we can teleport him into the wastes to No Items Fox Only Final Destination him.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't seen that "Errantry War not available" message myself. I wiped out the Warriors of Chaos before completing mine though, so the destruction of the faction shouldn't invalidate the quest.

One thing I noticed is that unlike normal quest battles there's no option to teleport - you have to march all the way up to the top of the Chaos Wastes. But you should still be able to select the quest & zoom to it through the quests menu.

now we're twiddling our thumbs waiting for Archaon to show up again so we can teleport him into the wastes to No Items Fox Only Final Destination him.
    If you got the message Faction Destroyed: Warriors of Chaos then Archaon won't reappear on the campaign map.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I'm playing a bretonnian campaign and I picked Chaos for my Errantry War. However I pretty much forgot about it (Louen was dead at the time) and wiped out Archaon's invasion anyway. Since then, whenever I try to select the Errantry War quest on the quests screen it's greyed out: it says "the errantry war is not available." Have I made the campaign unwinnable for myself?

I'm in the opposite position to this. We're the biggest and best in the world, we kicked Archaon's ass and killed his Daemon buddy with (literally) about a thousand peasants - and now we're twiddling our thumbs waiting for Archaon to show up again so we can teleport him into the wastes to No Items Fox Only Final Destination him.
    Did you accidentally relapse to having too little honor to complete the quest?

Also, for fun, I decided to slowly and painstakingly eradicate all life as the Dwarves. As of turn 301, no non-dwarf civilizations have cities, although Bretonnia and the Redhorn Tribe both have armies on the map.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2017-03-13 at 02:49 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

I've managed to all but complete An Eye for an Eye this time. I've systematically wiped out all civilization east of the Wasteland, but now have to hike all the way back because Todbringer ran off after the thrashing I gave him and established himself on the coast behind my back while I was destroying Middenland.

What I'm finding is that I can keep one or two full stacks of Beastmen afloat so long as I keep my momentum up and raze everything in sight to keep my funds high, as I've been running a negative balance pretty much since I finished off Middenland, requiring me to keep pillaging to stay financially solvent since raiding isn't turning a profit anymore. Having a high amount of money gives me wiggle room to wait a few turns to recover casualties, but short of dismissing some troops there's no real way to build any more stacks beyond 2, which makes getting the achievement for building a Totem of Horns in 5 different hordes all but impossible. Is it different in the Grand Campaign? What am I doing wrong here?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

I think the way to get 5 Totem of Horns hordes as Beastmen you'd need to go for multiple very small, cheap armies that all spend their time raiding or hiding near the raiding ones as reinforcements, hitting weak settlements for cash and fleeing when anything strong comes knocking. Very slow build up, dozens of turns of slow resource gathering and horde upgrades, with little to no troop purchases.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

I think I went for that achievement in my Morghur grand campaign (since it was one of the ones I didn't pick up in my first Beastman playthrough) and had to put a lot of effort into getting it. Without just turning the difficulty down, I think the best thing to do is spawn a bunch of baby hordes in a sort of creche around your one or two "real" hordes, and speed-level their growth so that you can build straight towards that building. You can let them do the pillaging - with the main hordes as reinforcements - to give them a growth bump and level their lords, and you can put all the skill points the baby-horde lords get into the blue line to get the +growth skills.

I think though in any non-Easy campaign I think there's only going to be a small window of time where you could feasibly sustain 5 full hordes - where the pickings are rich enough for all 5 hordes to be pillaging and growing, but your enemies aren't strong enough to shut down the new ones as they grow. Before that window you'll be limited by the difficulty of keeping new hordes safe, and afterwards you'll have razed and corrupted too much ground for all your hordes to have enough targets to pay for themselves.

TBH a lot of the campaign achievements are just there for the sake of being there. Build N of (building you don't need more than n < N of at any one time). Go to negative Chivalry. I'm a bit of a completionist but I've got something like 800 hours in this game and I don't have those - they're just pointless.
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-03-15 at 11:36 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

How much does turning the difficulty down change the situation? I'm already just playing on Normal...
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know first-hand, I haven't tried it. But I'm pretty sure difficulty settings directly affect income (and maybe upkeep too).
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-03-15 at 03:51 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't really matter now. I've wiped out all other factions on the map and won the mini-campaign. I may double-check this when I play Beastmen in the Old World campaign. But for now, I'm gonna run with the Wild Hunt in THE SEASON OF REVELATION!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

So is there a trick to eliminating Archeon for good? Cause I think he respawned after he died the first time. I got the doom tide message again anyways.

Currently my plan is to rebuild the Empire first, and just hold an army in reserve to beat them back while I try and get my allies to do most of the fighting. Basically play defensively til I rebuild everything, and then I'll crush them completely.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

You pretty much just have to wipe Chaos off the map before he'll die forever.

Once the final wave of Chaos (I think it's the third one) has spawned and been beaten they can only respawn from their existing Hordes, rather than having periodic lord waves form in the Chaos Wastes. At that point it's just a matter of chasing them round and killing them all piecemeal. Once the last army is defeated Archaon stays dead for the rest of the game because there's no where for him to respawn.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

14. - Top - End - #194

Kobold

^This has been my experience. It's just about accepting that you will have to fight some number of waves, and that number may be higher than you would prefer.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, my first attempt at The Season of Revelation was a complete disaster. About 10 turns in, Morghur showed up, with three full Beastmen stacks and used the Beast Paths to make a beeline for the Oak of Ages, which was disastrous for me since I hadn't even built a single full stack for Orion. And of course I lost, meaning I need to start the campaign over.

So...how do I proceed? I attempted to move towards ruined settlements to get more income, but this only reduced my troops when clearly I had to be spamming troops from the word "Go!" They aren't kidding when they say this campaign is Hard!

Heck, I'm not even sure WHAT to build where, since in my Greenskins campaign I had a handy guide as to the most efficient buildings to build in each province, and in An Eye For An Eye I ended up building every single building in each horde anyway.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2017-03-16 at 08:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing you levelled up the Oak of Ages early? Hold off on that until you've built your forces up a little. The Oak advancing is the trigger for scripted Beastman invasions.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Oh...yeah, I did that as soon as I had 6 Amber. I was under the impression that shoring up its garrison would help protect it. So my first moves should be about consolidating and getting Athel Loren united under my banner, I suppose?

18. - Top - End - #198

Kobold

Beastmen were on sale, so I knuckled under and ate the cost.

Wow, Viletide is potent. Who the heck decided that 5 mana to wipe out half a squad was appropriate? Sometimes half of MULTIPLE squads, if they're extra clustered.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Oh...yeah, I did that as soon as I had 6 Amber. I was under the impression that shoring up its garrison would help protect it. So my first moves should be about consolidating and getting Athel Loren united under my banner, I suppose?
    You can't confederate until you level the tree, and confederation is probably better than conquest with most of your neighbouring wood elves - but yeah, tool around for a bit, smacking some Bretonnians up, dealing with any uppity Glade Lords, until you've found your feet militarily. Once you're ready to tackle Morghur and chums, then you upgrade the tree.

Wow, Viletide is potent. Who the heck decided that 5 mana to wipe out half a squad was appropriate? Sometimes half of MULTIPLE squads, if they're extra clustered.
    I think it depends quite heavily on the type of unit you hit. Armour should mitigate it a lot.
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-03-16 at 11:34 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The beastmen seem horribly overpowered to me. Minautaur, Cygor and chariots just chew through 10x their point value with impunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Any high-level unit will wreak havoc against the AI though. Multiplayer-wise Beastmen are definitely not in the top tier.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #202
    Bugbear in the Playground

The AI tends to massively overspend on missile units as well, so anything that does well against missile-spam will do well against most AI armies.

Regarding spells, I've heard that the unit size setting has a massive impact on the effectiveness of spells, since larger unit size means getting a smaller percentage of a unit in a spell AoE. Is this still the case, or has it been fixed in a patch since the posts I've been reading?

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by thracian View Post
    The AI tends to massively overspend on missile units as well, so anything that does well against missile-spam will do well against most AI armies.

Regarding spells, I've heard that the unit size setting has a massive impact on the effectiveness of spells, since larger unit size means getting a smaller percentage of a unit in a spell AoE. Is this still the case, or has it been fixed in a patch since the posts I've been reading?
    This has always been an issue, same with artillery in previous games. Artillery / spell AoE size is a constant, while the percentage of soldiers in the effect goes up or down with unit size.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    You can't confederate until you level the tree, and confederation is probably better than conquest with most of your neighbouring wood elves - but yeah, tool around for a bit, smacking some Bretonnians up, dealing with any uppity Glade Lords, until you've found your feet militarily. Once you're ready to tackle Morghur and chums, then you upgrade the tree.
    How do I keep them alive to confederate with? Even if they don't try to fight ME they seem to wanna fight EACH OTHER a lot too!

25. - Top - End - #205

With Wood Elves, I really don't see any benefits to confederation (except for with the other Legendary Lord). In the Grand Campaign, you can knock off one of the generic lords within the first couple turns to double your territory size, and in Seasons of Revelation they keep fighting each other so you can pretty easily take over several areas relatively quickly. Waiting to get the tree upgraded to confederate slows you down a noticeable amount, and all you really get out of it is another glade lord. From a lore point of view, obviously this isn't the best thing, but mechanically it makes life a lot easier.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #207

From the youtube

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Total War: Warhammer II has been confired. It takes place in Ulthuan, Naggaroth, Lustria and the Southlands. Confirmed factions upon release are Dark Elves, High Elves and Lizardmen, with another fourth army yet unrevealed. The fourth one is likely to be either Skaven or Tomb Kings, although they might save either for a later DLC like they did with the Wood Elves.

Apparently, a few weeks after release there'll be a way to combine the campaign map with the one from the first game.
    Last edited by Theodoric; 2017-03-31 at 12:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Kobold

I'd be interested in playing Fantastic Necrons

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

There's a trailer too.

it's pretty cool
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-03-31 at 11:45 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb