New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: FR - Dauntless Dwarves

Graeme rubs his short beard. "They'll likely see in the dark as well as we do, no need to wait for that. Coming from above is the best way to surprise them, but climbing down...no. How many feather-fallings can you do, wizard?"
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Snev's raven flaps his wings, soaring across the face of The Fang then in a slow turn glides down the side of the mountain, disappearing out of sight.

A few minutes later Drazh comes flapping up the mountain, hugging close to the ridge, coming to land on the head of Snev's giant hammer.

Spoiler: Drazh
    Show
    He reports four darkly skinned humanoids on a recessed ledge. No worked stone or door(way), but a natural cleft in the recessed face of the mountain.

Let's go ahead and "time stamp" this. It's passed mid morning - 11 am
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-03-02 at 10:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Snev squats down on one knee, his hammer standing upright next to him, his back is to the rocks and Drazh perches on the hammer's head keeping on eye out for trouble while the wizard confers with his comrades.

"So as to your question Greame, I can see to the safe descendent of two of us, myself and another or two of you. Daghealin has proven herself agile of both mind and body, so I do not doubt she could get join battle on her own merit that leaves two more of us." He looks over the group, "Any of you fight from afar? By bow or spell, crossbow? Also I can shroud the area they are in with an eldrich mist that will inhibit even our darkvision, although that means we wouldn't be able to see them but it would provide us with some cover. Once we join melee we should be able to see our foe and them us."
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2017-03-02 at 11:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Brill peers over the ledge again, then turns to Snev, "If you can see to yourself and one other, you should probably use your spell on the heaviest, and we can see if Dag can carry the lightest with her. IF she can, that still leaves one though...."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-03-02 at 09:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

"If I was able to carry the lot of you up the mountain tied together by rope, I doubt carrying the two lightest with rope will be a problem for me, though we will still be moving much slower than those falling no doubt. Never mind the fact how do you plan to fall into a place that has a ledge?" Daghealin asks the groups not sure of the plan, it left a lot of room for failure with a very small margin of success in the right circumstances, if she was able to use a dragon's most powerful tool, its breath weapon perhaps it would be possible, but as she saw it taking the long route would be the safest course of action, even if it was the slowest.

"If we use magic to hide our descent no doubt it will not go unnoticed meaning they will know something is going on. And if anyone loses their footing climbing down with me only a little it could alert the guards of someone above them. And that is not even including the question of how you are going to move once you begin falling off a cliff besides straight down." Daghealin points out to the group as a whole, though not liking the fact that if not for the chance of falling to their deaths it was a good plan.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Brillga Alesoul

"He was an ally. We should give him the doubt of benefit. Aye.' Brillga scolded in her eternal motherly tone, even if she might been younger than some of the others.
    "As always Dag's burning heart is inspiring me! Aye! Let's show the beasts, what we dwarves are made of! Brillga said, with enthusiasm.
    "One lil' mountain is nothing for our kind!'
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"If this blows up in our face and we live to talk about it I am serisouly going to have to explain to you all how to climb properly." Daghealin says with a bit of worry in her voice as she looks down the mountain before turning back to Boris. " I don't suppose I can borrow that rope again can I? Also the two lightestes people in the group should tie themselves up with me, while the rest remain behind with the one who can make you fall slowly." she says waiting for the two party members who way the least to tie themselves to her, before leading them to the ledge.

" Normally I would lead the group, however given we are going down the mountain I think it best if the person with the best grip stays as high as possible, so whenever you are ready begin climbing down and I will follow as an anchor so you can choose the path you find safest." she tells those coming down with her, waiting until it was her turn before beginning the descent with the other two in the group that were climbing down with her.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

"I happen to have a rope, dear.' Brillga said with a motherly smile, pulling the rope from her bag.

------
    My previouse Avater

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

Boris

After some introspection, the barbaric warlock decides plummeting to his death would not honor anything.

"Whatever gets us to the orcs intact, and at least three walls of stone between us and the sky, I am in favour of."
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

"So we are to begin our assault?" Snev asks as the others begin producing rope from their packs. "So who wishes to take the plunge?" the wizard asks looking around, "Also if anyone is so inclined I have a spell at ready that could increase you in size and strength, but make you a bigger target? So we'll wait for the climbers to nearly reach the bottom before taking the plunge ourselves? After we hit bottom any particular plan of action other than crushing orc skulls?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Brill and Boris get out their ropes and as Dag begins to knot the rope around her waist, Snev explains that two of the other will need to climb the rock face down to the ledge with Dag. Graeme would seem to be a logical choice to go with Dag, but considering his struggles on the way up the party argues briefly. It's eventually decided that Brill and Graeme will climb down with Dag, and Boris will jump with Snev. As the wizard explains that they'll have to wait for the other three to approach the end of their climb and then jump, Boris looks over the edge again, looks back at Snev, "Nope."

The party sets to arguing again, before eventually deciding it would be best to give up on what's been label the "Death from Above" plan. Snev and Brill hold out briefly before chuckling and conceding that there's a very real possibility that the "Death" in the "Death from Above" plan could very well be their own. The party ropes themselves together, more for precaution that anything else, then makes their way down the mountain, hugging close to the ridge. As they approach the tapered end of the rocky spine they note that it curves back under the switchback path, which is indeed good fortune as it completely blocks their view of the ledge meaning that the four guards can't possibly see them.

After surveying the area and taking stock of their position, the group scrambles up to the path(about half way up the second to last switchback), keeping as close to the mountain side as possible so as not to be observed from above. Making quick time up the path, they come to the final switchback, and hunker down against the cliff face.

Boris peaks around the corner a couple of times, while Dag helps Brill into her armor quietly. He reports that the last stretch of the trail is carved directly into the rock face and is sheer rock on one side. He estimates it's no more than a hundred feet to the ledge, and he saw no one moving about.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

MAP
    NOTE - The path slopes steeply up to the ledge.

Light Brown - Mountain slope: Climb DC 10
    Dark Brown - Rock face: Climb DC 17
    White - Switchback Path and Ledge(visible)
    Grey - Switchback Path and Ledge you know is there, but can't see from your current position.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-03-07 at 06:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

As they come to their destination at last Dag starts to rub her shoulders after helping her dear friend Brill into her armor. "If you want I could climb alone across the rock formation so that when we attack we hit them from two fronts, either way I would suggest whoever has the best stealth to take the lead first so that we know when combat will begin."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Basically what I am saying is I could have dag move without any burden due to spiderclimb thus no climb check to B20 this round so we can begin to flank them while the rest of the party moves to E23 and said wall for the first round followed by Dag moving to B12 and the party moving to E16 (if they move up one more the enemy would have line of sight of them) meaning on round 3 we could charge the grey area (have the bird scout it for us with our scout) and we hit whatever enemy is their with our full force on round 4?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Graeme
    "I'll see what I can see."
    Graeme slips up to the switchback, moving slowly and carefully, already hard to spot. Vanishing from sight, he moves around the corner, and then comes back.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stance: Child of Shadow; move 10', get concealment/20% miss chance.
    Stealth (1d20+12)[24]
    Move to H13, then assuming I don't hear anyone on the switchback area, pop around to I12 and then back. Using Cloak of Deception to go invisible for 1 round as a swift action.
    If nobody's there, the following round will use Adaptive Style to re-set CoD to be available again.
    Campaign Logs:

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Snev turns to face Drazh sitting on shoulder as he pats the head of Dronstok on the flat of his palm, "More skulduggery it looks like. I remember when I Dwarf met in honest combat. Lots of glory. Lots of lads returning to the Earth's bones, mind you, but was it ever exciting. Make yourself useful then and wing on by, take your time, in no hury."

He takes a knee as the raven flies off. "So," he says to rest of the group as Graeme disappears around the bend, "what do we know about these foes? Anything about their number any beasts with them? I hear tell you lot like to tangle with Trolls?"

Show

Drazh Perception +7; Stealth +2

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Graeme sneaks along the edge of the rock face, making his way quickly and silently up the path. The party looks on as he disappears around the corner, everyone holds their breath waiting for him to reappear.

Spoiler: Graeme
    Show
    As he approaches the last ten feet he can hear guttural voices and laughter. He cannot make out what they're saying. Turning invisible he rounds the corner to see three lightly armored orcs kneeling next to the rock face, one reaches down and picks up what look like a handful of small bones. After saying something he shakes them in his hand and casts them against the wall, studying them intently as they land. He laughs and picks up what look like a small pile of copper pieces. A fourth orc paces side to side just around the corner, looking bored but at least moderately alert. The ledge extends around the corner into what looks like a natural recess into the stone, but Graeme notes low stairs that lead upward and the path/ledge disappears around another corner fifty to sixty feet into the mountain. He retreats back around the corner before his invisibility wears out.

Moments later the party relaxes as Graeme reappears.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-03-08 at 05:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Graeme
    Graeme silently makes his way back to the party, in no hurry. In a whisper, he relays his findings.
    "Three orcs gambling over dice, and another on alert. The path continues up behind them for a little ways, and then turns a corner. We can take them, but it'll be a lot easier if we can sneak up on them."

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth if needed (1d20+12)[21]

Are they close enough that Graeme can reach the standing one with a move action from a point of concealment (so that he can swift invis/move/attack)?
    Campaign Logs:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

"Gambling, you say? So there's gold?" Snev grins as he continues tapping his hammer in his palm. "Well then lads, and ladies," he adds nodding to Dag and Brilga, "Shall we get stuck in?"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Graeme
    "Not all at once, they'll hear us coming. Who else can sneak up with me? We can take a couple of them down quickly, and then the rest of you run up and help."

Spoiler
    Show

A run(x3 or x4 depending on armor) starting in the surprise round, and then in round 1, should get people in position to join the battle in round 2.
    Campaign Logs:

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"AS Usual Dag-dear's head producing fine ideas from her furnace!" Brillga said with a motherly pride.

"I afraid Graeme deary, that I am weren't blessed with great skills of stealth..' Brillga smiled.
    "But by the name of Berronar- I bless with succes with you darn fine idea!"
    and then starting to climb to the other side.

Show

casting Elation: +2 morale bonus to effective Strength and Dexterity, and their speed increases by +5 feet.
    climb
    (1d20+4)[6]

------
    My previouse Avater

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

As Dag watches her friend begin to try and climb the wall like her to fail. "Brillga you are wearing armor and unlike me can not climb walls like a spider. I suggest you follow the others up the path, listening to Graeme's directions. If you draw to much attention with noise the element of surprise will be gone. Had we tried coming down from above we would have just kicked a bunch of rocks loose onto them. Thankfully we are below them and the wall is not high enough for you to actually make enough noise." Dag points out as she turns to look to Graeme. " I shall wait for your signal of the group being ready to attack before I launch myself over the ledge and attack." the dragon shaman tells her ally, trusting in his ability to know when it would be best to strike before she split off from the group and waited to launch herself over the wall with shield and axe.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Graeme
    Graeme stealthily makes his way back up the ramp. Knowing that the most alert orc is just around the corner, he waits a few moments, controlling his breathing. A tiny wisp of cloud floats overhead, dimming the light just slightly, and he takes that moment to vanish from sight, reappearing as he stabs both blades into the orc's body, yelling "Issi!" (Now!) in the dwarven tongue just after he strikes.
    One blade scrapes off the orc's armor, not seeming to do much damage; the other one chops deep and leaves blood spurting out of a huge gash.

Spoiler
    Show

I believe Graeme is still under the effects of Elation (+2 str/+2 dex) since it's a large AOE emanation. If not, subtract 1 from all rolls except the off-hand damage roll.
    Stealth (1d20+13)[15]
    Swift action: Use Cloak of Deception, invisible
    Stealth (1d20+13)[28]
    Move action: Come around the corner and get next to the orc
    Standard action: Initiate Wolf Fang Strike, attacking with both weapons simultaneously. Since this is a simultaneous action, not an iterative TWF strike, I believe I get the +2 to-hit from invisibility on both attacks.
    Target is flat-footed and does not have dex to AC or dodge bonuses.
    (base attack +8, -2 wolf fang strike, +2 invisibility, +1 Elation dex bonus = +9)
    Main hand attack (1d20+9)[12] for (1d4+6)[9]
    Off hand attack (1d20+9)[27] for (1d4+3)[5] (crit confirm rolled OOC, to-hit of 24, for +6 damage)

Initiative (1d20+5)[25]
    Rest of orcs are still flat-footed, and we may qualify for a surprise round.

Status notes: Child of Shadow stance. Moved more than 10', so Graeme has concealment (20% miss chance).
    Last edited by J-H; 2017-03-09 at 04:21 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

The three orcs kneeling down whip their heads around as Graeme shouts his signal.

The patrolling orc's eyes fly open wide as he drops his crossbow to the ground with a loud clatter, raising his hands to grasp the gaping wound in his chest, dark blood leaking out between his fingers. He staggers briefly but remains on his feet...

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Surprise round for the party. I've placed everyone where I thought they would be without having to roll Stealth checks. Benefit of the doubt, Elation spell effects begin in the Surprise round(duration 3 rounds total). We'll do "first come first serve for the Surprise round, then roll initiative after you've taken your action like J-H did.

MAP updated: grey shaded areas are stairs upward
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-03-09 at 05:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Snev hears the deep dwarf shout now, and takes off behind him both hands on his great hammer's haft with the head resting on his shoulder, now is the time to see how rusty he truly is, it has been years since he last fought -- even longer since he killed orc, Now he would see what kind of Dwarf he really was.

Show

Move Action: Move to F13
    Stnd Action: Cast Dawn Burst centred on Orc (O2) Light Sensitivity Damage - (1d6+2)[8] Reflex for 1/2
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2017-06-03 at 08:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Graeme
    Graeme slashes at the orc once again, but his kukri goes wide of his target.
    Spoiler
    Show

Standard action only during a surprise round.
    Attack! (1d20+9)[10] for (1d4+6)[7]
    Crit if needed (1d20+9)[22] (1d4+6)[8]
    Last edited by J-H; 2017-03-09 at 06:02 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

Boris

Using his blazing (for a dwarf) speed, Boris rushes forward to the orcs, ready to engage them as quickly and as deadly as possibly.

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    Move to F13. Eldritch blast at O2 if so allowed. Just a move otherwise.

(1d20+3)[10] to hit a stinkin' orc.
    (1d6)[3] damage

With a wave of his hand, reddish-grey wisps of eldritch energy fire at first orc Boris sees.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-03-09 at 10:37 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Brillga smiled, and ran, sticking to the mountain walls, until she has reached what she thought were the center of her group- she raised her hands.
    "Mother! Your children in need for ya'r bless! Aye!' she yelled.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving to G13
    Casting Bless

------
    My previouse Avater

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

As Daghealin hears the call to battle from her ally she leaps over the ledge she had been waiting a, Dwarven Waraxe and heavy steel shield already in hand as she charges foward trying to get to her ally before he was overrun, her aura changing to cover the group in a green acidic looking substance that didn't seem to burn anything they were wearing.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

When battle began perception aura was still on so +1 to all initative checks (1d20+3)[10] for me
    Surprise round will be spent moving to J13
    Round 1 actions will be 5ft. step to K14 making Daghealin and Graeme flanking O4 so we both gain a +2 to attack rolls
    Swift Action switching to Energy shield so anytime one of us takes damage the enemy takes 2 acid damage
    Standard action attack with waraxe (1d20+9)[24] (BAB +2, STR +4, WF +1, Flanking +2) Damage (1d10+4)[7]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Graeme
    Dodging around the still-surprised orc, Graeme slashes with both of his kukris as the orc tries to defend against two foes at once.

Spoiler
    Show

5' step to J15 to get flanking. Opponent is still flat-footed.
    Switching stance to Blood in the Water (gain +1 to-hit & damage for each confirmed crit)
    Attack (1d20+9)[23] (base 8, -2 twf, +1 elation, +2 flanking) damage (1d4+6)[7]
    Attack (1d20+9)[17] damage (1d4+3)[5]

Crit if needed (1d20+9)[16] and (1d4)[4] plus _.
    Last edited by J-H; 2017-03-10 at 12:12 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Snev watches a Dag and Graeme spring into action a whirl of blades around the orc watchman not to be outdone the wizard turns his attention to the orcs who were moments before in the midst of their game. He takes his left hand from the hammer, leaving it to rest on his shoulder, tracing the arcane runes of power in the air as he intones the words that shape and bind them Stormhammer then points at one of the orcs and a bloom of light blossoms among the three orcs like the glint of dawn on steel. The wizard then moves forward and takes a wide stance gripping Dronstok in both hands and readying himself for melee.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Stnd Action: Cast Dawn Burst centred on Orc (O2) [I don't mind re-rolling in the OOC if you need]
    After casting the spell Move to F9

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Graeme slashes across the orc's belly opening another wound, and it crumples to the ground, dark blood pooling out around its body.

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Snev and Boris are up, you can choose to keep your original standard actions/rolls(as well as add your move and swift actions, or reconsider your round.
    EDIT: Oops...you beat me to it Tank! I'll let you keep the max damage roll, but I did make two saves.

Initiative

Graeme
    Orc4
    Snev
    Boris
    Orc2
    Dag
    Orc3
    Brill
    Orc1

MAP
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-03-10 at 08:17 AM.