New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Lets have fun: Popular story descriptions turned on their head

Quote Originally Posted by sparky9042 View Post
    A couple more:

After getting a promotion, a middle-aged man feels out of place in the world. His midlife crisis runs headlong into that of an old acquaintance, whose wife has recently passed away. The two men struggle together, each trying to carve out a place in the world for themselves. Herman Melville is referenced fairly frequently.

In order to save a beautiful princess from a fearsome dragon, a lord makes a bargain with a disgusting, hideous monster, only to discover that this bargain may not end up working out in the lord's favor.

I'll stick the answers in spoilers if no one gets them.
    The second one is clearly Shrek.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

In order to save a beautiful princess from a fearsome dragon, a lord makes a bargain with a disgusting, hideous monster, only to discover that this bargain may not end up working out in the lord's favor.
    Shrek, of course. I haven't even seen it in ages.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

A youth is abandoned by his father then witnesses the murder of his mother. He flees his home for many years, and when he returns, the whole place burns to the ground.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bambi

The main character enslaves numerous sentient beings and pits them against one another in gladiatorial combat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon

An eccentric and possibly unhinged individual terrorizes the locals with various bizarre divides before finally creating a machine that leads to the destruction of the entire city.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cloudy With a Chance for Meatballs

Two children from opposite worlds become unlikely friends, but are forcibly split and grow up separately. After reuiniting, an unfortunate accident leads to hatred and resentment tearing them apart again, and one attempts to murder the other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Fox and the Hound

Two individuals terrorize children for sadistic pleasure. When the local authority attempts to detain and punish them, they brainwash him into following their commands and order him to run through the streets without his clothes whereupon he is almost killed by a vicious criminal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Captain Underpants
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

A couple more:

After getting a promotion, a middle-aged man feels out of place in the world. His midlife crisis runs headlong into that of an old acquaintance, whose wife has recently passed away. The two men struggle together, each trying to carve out a place in the world for themselves. Herman Melville is referenced fairly frequently.
    Wrath of Khan?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I apologize for believing people here were more capable than they appear to be, since apparently the plot is completely required before anyone can guess. Can't be vague because that would be to hard....

A few that I can think of:

1) An order of religious followers fight against another order of religious followers while a member of one of those orders reacts blandly to everything that happens, then passes up an opportunity to fix problems causing a bunch of people to die. Oh, and a woman dies, so he kills someone, leading to adventure! as an escaped criminal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kingdom of Heaven

2) A leader of a band of heroes forcibly co-opts his followers to take on one more mission despite promises they could go free, then gets nearly all of them killed, and then joins forces with their enemies to fight even more enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    King Arthur

3) A group of individuals with an unique perspective on life have a rather violent disagreement over the fact.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Highlander

4) A religious icon is sought by crazies and a guy that if he hadn't gotten involved much, the crazies would never have found it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

5) The same guy from above helps more crazies find another religious icon, which he could have avoided, but the guy is a bit daft.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Last Crusade

6) A bunch of soldiers help a bunch idiot scientists try to fix up their mess but, this being scientists, everybody dies. Well, nearly everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doom Movie

7) A hero with good intentions promptly wrecks everything by being heroic, helping the bad guy win a plan that makes little sense beyond "For the Evulz"
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Song of Ice and Fire

8) A group of heroes tries to save people, while fighting against their kind lead by a person that has a point, but is evil just cause.
    Spoiler
    Show
    X-Men

9) A Villain tries to save their homeworld, but are opposed by the Heroes on a technicality that could have been fixed easily enough and to another group's benefit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Third Transformers Movie

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Persuasive cop convinces a man to stop smoking before killing his drug addicted replacement.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Robocop 2

Broken. Is. Narrative. The.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Memento

A doctor spends several months attempting suicide after a car accident and his partners leave him when he needs them the most.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr Strange

Thin guy in a green suit with questionable motives steals your private data before 9/11 makes it legal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Batman Forever

Mostly male space crew attempt to raise a child, only female on board blows the ship up and loses the child through the air lock.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alien
    Last edited by Mato; 2017-01-09 at 08:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    I apologize for believing people here were more capable than they appear to be, since apparently the plot is completely required before anyone can guess. Can't be vague because that would be to hard....
    You just cant be bothered to put more than 15 seconds of work into each ones.

I am sorry (nah, not really), but even with you revealing the titles, i wouldnt even have came even close to guessing half of them.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2017-01-09 at 10:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A hero defeats a villain.

That's enough to identify which story I'm thinking of, right?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Is it...The Secret Life of Pets?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Clearly your actually referring to.....A villain defeats a hero! what a masterful display of turning the story on its head! Greater than that time The Villain Is Not the Protagonist's Father, I mean what I twist! You thought it was the protagonists father, but it was just the villain!
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The second one is clearly Shrek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Shrek, of course. I haven't even seen it in ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    Wrath of Khan?
    Yep. Clearly I need to step my game up here.

A smuggler legitimate businessman sets up shop in a military base, but his job becomes difficult when the base is captured by a different army and the base becomes strategically and logistically important. Worse, for some reason both of the people who hold the military base choose to hire the same sheriff.

A red-haired man is in love with two women, one blond and the other brunette, and has difficulty deciding between the two. His friend, rather than partake in romance, offers often-cryptic and sarcastic commentary about those involved in the love triangle and life more generally.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #72

Yep. Clearly I need to step my game up here.

A smuggler legitimate businessman sets up shop in a military base, but his job becomes difficult when the base is captured by a different army and the base becomes strategically and logistically important. Worse, for some reason both of the people who hold the military base choose to hire the same sheriff.
    Thats a good one! Deep Space 9 : The Life of Quark

A red-haired man is in love with two women, one blond and the other brunette, and has difficulty deciding between the two. His friend, rather than partake in romance, offers often-cryptic and sarcastic commentary about those involved in the love triangle and life more generally.
    That one was easy ;) Archie and his Harem

Lemme try another:

A prince desperately tries to limit the consequences of his brother's obsession to throw the peaceful kingdom into a genocidal war. He stages a masterful plot to both have the King realize the danger of his brother's warmongering as well as showing off his unfitness to assume the throne.

Sadly, the prince discovers his father still irrationally favors the outcast warmongerer over him.

During that time, the outcast prince meets girls, have lots of drinks and gets into brawls against local authorities.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

A runaway annoys his family and town after being forced to move to the family estate. Despite (or because of?) wacky antics with the aid of a talking bird, his nerdy sister, and his streetwise friends, he manages to gain the trust of the family and town just in time to save the day.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wildbow's Pact

It was hard to write such that it wouldn't spoil the book for someone who hadn't read it.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

A small town group of friends playing at being murderhobos experiment with advanced physics and end up on the run from a government agency. One of their friends goes missing and the missing friend's mom and brother cope with the loss in ever increasingly unstable ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

15. - Top - End - #75

A metal can full of apparent sentients (so small!) appears. Interesting! They tickle you with beams (communication attempt?). You try your darnest to be friendly towards your visitors, even rummaging through their memories to remake their dearest past acquaintances. They try to annihilate the constructs? Lets try again. Maybe they like them this time. ..... No. Nope. Oh it's no use, they just don't get it. Fine, be by yourself then, tiny can-sentients.
    I think I'm bad at this

Spoiler: Book, or either of the movies
    Show
    Solaris
    Last edited by thirsting; 2017-01-11 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Oh. I did this wrong! Aw.
    Well that was awkward.

16. - Top - End - #76

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    A small town group of friends playing at being murderhobos experiment with advanced physics and end up on the run from a government agency. One of their friends goes missing and the missing friend's mom and brother cope with the loss in ever increasingly unstable ways.
    Stranger Things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can anyone guess this?

A young terminally ill boy is visited by a dictator and declared by him his successor in an attempt to loophole a tenet of his religion. Instead the boy survives and usurps control of the dictators kingdom, and then being declared a messianic figure proceed to usurp more leaders in an increasingly escalating war that ends with the destruction of all life. On the side, there's child abduction, bio-terrorism and oppressive government actions.
    Last edited by Dragonexx; 2017-01-11 at 02:34 AM.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Thats a good one! Deep Space 9 : The Life of Quark

That one was easy ;) Archie and his Harem
    The first one is correct, the second... well, that would be too easy. But no, that description wouldn't really be turning the premise of Archie Comics on its head.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

19. - Top - End - #79

The first one is correct, the second... well, that would be too easy. But no, that description wouldn't really be turning the premise of Archie Comics on its head.
    Damn it. Care to give more clues?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    Stranger Things?
    Yup!

Unable to cope with being at peace with their more powerful neighboring country, a group of terrorists commit a continent wide spree of crimes ranging from prison breaking a known traitor, destroying an entire military fleet with a WMD, and consorting with supernatural creatures among other things. Ultimately they end up assassinating the more powerful country's leader, only to end up right where they started, at peace with the neighboring country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

To my embarrassment I'm afraid I can't contribute to any open question
    But I have a few new ones. I feel I saw the first one somewhere but... The others are less well known but more straight described I think.

A senior employee sees his position threatened by a new, more "modern" but mentally unstable coworker. But both are forced to work together to not only keep their job but likely also their life, saving a few others from a psychopath along the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Toy Story

Speaking of psychopath, a few characters with varying degrees of mental instability ranging from idiocy to genocidal sociopathy, are hired and later forced to commit heroic acts only to in the end be upstaged by "true heroes".
    Spoiler
    Show
    8 Bit Theater. Oh, wait, we're meant to twist this, right?

Also, a young person is confused about their sexuality, which is worsened by a tendency to attract people of both genders and their father's plan to elope them to every available person on the planet for his own benefit. Also, they need to protect their life by mastering a variety of skills, nobody should ever need to use in self defense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ranma 1/2
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    which is worsened by a tendency to attract people of both genders
    This line alone makes it too obvious, as someone who has only ever read a quick blurb on it.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

23. - Top - End - #83

A prince desperately tries to limit the consequences of his brother's obsession to throw the peaceful kingdom into a genocidal war. He stages a masterful plot to both have the King realize the danger of his brother's warmongering as well as showing off his unfitness to assume the throne.

Sadly, the prince discovers his father still irrationally favors the outcast warmongerer over him.

During that time, the outcast prince meets girls, have lots of drinks and gets into brawls against local authorities.
    Nobody guess

Spoiler
    Show
    Thor

?

Darn.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Can anyone guess this?

A young terminally ill boy is visited by a dictator and declared by him his successor in an attempt to loophole a tenet of his religion. Instead the boy survives and usurps control of the dictators kingdom, and then being declared a messianic figure proceed to usurp more leaders in an increasingly escalating war that ends with the destruction of all life. On the side, there's child abduction, bio-terrorism and oppressive government actions.
    Spoiler: guess
    Show
    Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom?

Umm... A boy is stranded far from his home in the process of meeting a girl. Despite their dislike, they band together for a long journey back to his home and fall in love. Pursuing them is the girl's adoptive father, and part of their journey is uncovering the world-changing discoveries of her deceased mother. At the end of the story, the girl meets her remaining biological family in the boy's hometown and they come to terms with her existence.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2017-01-11 at 06:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    Mostly male space crew attempt to raise a child, only female on board blows the ship up and loses the child through the air lock.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alien
    That's actually wrong. There were two female members of the crew.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

A man illegally defying industrial progression is suddenly kidnapped by his friend, who has in actuality been living undercover for a decade in service to his job. Despite protests, the man is dragged along as his friend joins up with a high-ranking government official, who is currently on the run for theft. Despite being pursued relentlessly by law enforcement, the official seems to be more interested in chasing legends, and finding a place to eat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    This line alone makes it too obvious, as someone who has only ever read a quick blurb on it.
    Really? Damn...
    How about...

A young athlete is pressured into joining a terrorist organization attempting to overthrow the government and with little choice in that regard at least gets to pick between a childhood friend and a somewhat obsessive stalker. (the stalker wins)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mockingjay trilogy
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Alright, I'm gonna give one a try.

A deranged criminal genius travels far and wide; slaughtering, rescuing, and kidnapping people according to his own mercurial whims. Those who attempt to stop him tend to fare poorly, to the point that multiple governments have agreed to give him free reign within their jurisdictions in the hopes that his ire will more frequently fall on their enemies than on themselves.

I can provide more hints for those who want, but for those who just want the answer:
    Spoiler: The Answer
    Show
    Doctor Who

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Lost girl commits manslaughter, twice, holding onto stolen goods and picks up strangers. They seek a genie to grant them their wishes, but he turns out to be a fakir.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Wizard Of Oz

Sprinter scientist can only save the world with the help of smarter people all the while crying for his mommy.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Flash CW tv series

New Year's Eve party gets literally tipsy. Small group defies authority to climb to the bottom.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Poseidon Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn it. Care to give more clues?
    The previously-mentioned friend who isn't partaking in romance is dealing with a chronic health issue, the causes of and his responses to which are the source of serious tension between him and his family.