New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lets have fun: Popular story descriptions turned on their head

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I just went for broke since we're turning things on their heads.

Its rather surprising the number of Final Fantasies that can have their PC groups called terrorists (from a certain point of view ): 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14 & 15. Really 1,3,5 & 11 are the only ones where the heros can be called murderhobos at worst XD. Makes for an interesting re-interpretation of the series.
    Eh... taking it quite freely there. I mean, Cecil & Co commit... well, not none but hardly any terrorist actions. Maybe blowing up the Canon and infiltrating Baron... And can mercenaries by terrorists? I mean, isn't that more like proper warfare? So the SEEDs may try to assassinate a head of state multiple times but they get paid for it so its totally legit. And as was said, 10 is basically a group of religious pilgrims turning into murdering atheists. (Also, I take offense at calling the crew of 5 murderhobos. At worst they are an extreme danger to nature: they're dedicated to killing a tree after all)

Teen scientist accidently creates time travel, then proceeds to rewrite time and reality through careless adventures with her friends. Her silent best friend ends up becoming an undead doll, and despite her and her friends' best intentions, causes a massive rift in reality, creating two parallel universes, both of which are flawed.

[...]

Astronaut who has crash landed on an inhabited alien planet decides that the best course of action is to savage the local resources while polluting the environment and killing off the locals in an attempt to create an escape ship.
    First sounds very anime-y somehow but I can't place it.

And #3 is probably any "crash landed alien/human" trying to get back into space from 50% of movies and 90% of games... but I can't exactly place it either.

Also: Young boy gets drafted into the military against his will, famously abused by his superior officer, forced to murder on multiple occasions and finally killing his first love which is also his much older rival's love interest causing a long lasting feud beyond the scope of the story. It ends in a fencing duel.
    Last edited by Kato; 2017-01-24 at 10:54 AM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Eh... taking it quite freely there. I mean, Cecil & Co commit... well, not none but hardly any terrorist actions. Maybe blowing up the Canon and infiltrating Baron... And can mercenaries by terrorists? I mean, isn't that more like proper warfare? So the SEEDs may try to assassinate a head of state multiple times but they get paid for it so its totally legit. And as was said, 10 is basically a group of religious pilgrims turning into murdering atheists. (Also, I take offense at calling the crew of 5 murderhobos. At worst they are an extreme danger to nature: they're dedicated to killing a tree after all)
    I was going for the twist interpretation in my list. Just because something is funded, doesn't mean its not terrorism to the other guy. And 5 is one of my favorites, but interplanetary & inter-dimensional vagabonds who kill most of their problems seem like prime candidates for the murderhobo title to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I was going for the twist interpretation in my list. Just because something is funded, doesn't mean its not terrorism to the other guy. And 5 is one of my favorites, but interplanetary & inter-dimensional vagabonds who kill most of their problems seem like prime candidates for the murderhobo title to me
    I know and I was arguing for the sake of the joke. okay, better counter concerning V: four out of five characters are royalty. Bartz is the only hobo in the team
    But V lends itself to a new summary...

A homeless man, a princess, an amnesiac and a cross dresser set out to stop a nature spirit from fixing a world destroyed centuries ago. Their power comes from fancier and fancier clothes.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

And can mercenaries by terrorists? I mean, isn't that more like proper warfare? So the SEEDs may try to assassinate a head of state multiple times but they get paid for it so its totally legit.
    This is such a hilarious quote to use
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2017-01-24 at 12:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

A homeless man, a princess, an amnesiac and a cross dresser set out to stop a nature spirit from fixing a world destroyed centuries ago. Their power comes from fancier and fancier clothes.
    You forgot the part about the Multiverse traveling 4 armed swordsman assisting the nature spirit. (Gilgamesh is hands down my favorite FF character)
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Chrono Trigger
    Um...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The doll is used as a decoy for Lavos, Chrono is real. The parallel dimensions thing reeks of Chrono Cross, which I've never played.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

An unfortunate sequence of events leads a resourceful botanist to become the first ever space pirate.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    An unfortunate sequence of events leads a resourceful botanist to become the first ever space pirate.
    The Martian?
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

A story of several children ruining the life of an elderly actor, while being narrated by an older man with severe depression.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-01-24 at 06:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    A story of several children ruining the life of an elderly actor, while being narrated by an older man with severe depression.
    ...An Unfortunate Series of Events.
    My Steam profile

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Three men on a trip break down along the way, causing the entire world to take notice and help them out. Based on a true story.

Spoiler
    Show
    Apollo 13

Scientists steal the Statue of Liberty in an effort to stop a museum curator from kidnapping a baby.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ghostbusters 2

A scavenger in the ruins of Washington DC gets caught up in a war with the government over who gets to turn on a water filter that nobody actually needs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fallout 3

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

You forgot the part about the Multiverse traveling 4 armed swordsman assisting the nature spirit. (Gilgamesh is hands down my favorite FF character)
    I think Gilgamesh is everybody's favorite FF character.

He's my favorite FF character anyway. He's just awesome. FFV's portrayal is probably my favorite, but he's awesome no matter which game he's traveled to. He needs to learn to recognize the difference between a genuine legendary sword and a knockoff, though. Poor guy.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Um...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The doll is used as a decoy for Lavos, Chrono is real. The parallel dimensions thing reeks of Chrono Cross, which I've never played.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was always under the impression that they put Chrono's soul into the doll, making it become a Chrono Clone essentially. And the Parallel dimensions is reference to Chrono Cross, which comes about as a direct result of the actions of the heros in Trigger.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I think Gilgamesh is everybody's favorite FF character.

He's my favorite FF character anyway. He's just awesome. FFV's portrayal is probably my favorite, but he's awesome no matter which game he's traveled to. He needs to learn to recognize the difference between a genuine legendary sword and a knockoff, though. Poor guy.
    Indeed, you'd think by now he'd figure out that one or two of his shiny weapons was useless ><

For me his appearance in 8 is his most BA
    Spoiler
    Show
    He takes out flipping Odin in one hit!
    followed by a close 2nd in 12 where he makes one hell of a formidable foe to fight.

Back on topic:

A girl suffering from depression after her family relocates starts hearing voices in her head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inside Out

A spaceship with an experimental drive returns from its maiden voyage as an amusement park. Visits to the ship leave lingering memories of the fun times had.

Spoiler
    Show
    Event Horizon

A group left out of the know on the worlds largest flash mob holes up in a mall for a spree of shoplifting and vandalism

Spoiler
    Show
    Dawn of the Dead
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2017-01-25 at 09:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was always under the impression that they put Chrono's soul into the doll, making it become a Chrono Clone essentially. And the Parallel dimensions is reference to Chrono Cross, which comes about as a direct result of the actions of the heros in Trigger.
    Spoiler: Chrono Trigger
    Show
    No, the doll was a sacrificial pawn that was placed in front of Lavos during a timefreeze.

That's retroactive. There's nothing indicating anything of the sort in the original game. And there's a reason that, regardless of its merits as a game, Chrono Cross is not considered a very good sequel.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-01-26 at 09:33 PM.
    My Steam profile

15. - Top - End - #135

Lets try another one.

How about a rule: minimum of 3-4 full sentences!

A malfunctioning product causes the death of a corporate executive as well as several hired hands he personally contracted. The product was a field test prototype meant to replace the executive's pet project. The prototype was spearheaded by a young drug user who didnt cared about the human resources cost of his projects.

In fact, the prototype was sabotaged by an employee who would have seen her job done more effectively by the new product.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Robocop".

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Chrono Trigger
    Show
    No, the doll was a sacrificial pawn that was placed in front of Lavos during a timefreeze.

That's retroactive. There's nothing indicating anything of the sort in the original game. And there's a reason that, regardless of its merits as a game, Chrono Cross is not considered a very good sequel.
    It's been a while sine I last played that one, apparently I'm rustier on remembering it than I thought (Still like the zombie doll idea though )

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    "Robocop".
    Yhea. Maybe tge original story was too cynic already, its hard to twist on its head

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Yhea. Maybe tge original story was too cynic already, its hard to twist on its head
    That's when you go for the happy/light hearted interpretation:

In a world where everyone is concerned about who sits in what chairs, large groups of individuals keep going on camping trips and getting into disagreements. In the far east a young woman raises 3 reptilian pets while touring the countryside and dreaming of returning to her homeland. To the north a group of Men!(tm) rough it against the elements to prove how manly they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Song of Ice and Fire

A flash mob trend takes over the world with a large portion of the population mindlessly participating. Refusing to succumb to peer pressure a small town cop and several others he meets travel the land looking for individuals who refuse to be sheeple and grow their community of non-conformists.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Walking Dead

20. - Top - End - #140

Flumph

Lets try another one.

How about a rule: minimum of 3-4 full sentences!
    You probably want to limit it to 2. This is one of those cases where brevity is the soul of wit. Don't try and include the whole plot, it stops being funny.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

That's when you go for the happy/light hearted interpretation:

In a world where everyone is concerned about who sits in what chairs, large groups of individuals keep going on camping trips and getting into disagreements. In the far east a young woman raises 3 reptilian pets while touring the countryside and dreaming of returning to her homeland. To the north a group of Men!(tm) rough it against the elements to prove how manly they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    I wouldn't have gotten it except for "reptilian pets." Then it all fell into place. But I haven't seen or read it, remove that and it's a great description guessable by fans.
    A flash mob trend takes over the world with a large portion of the population mindlessly participating. Refusing to succumb to peer pressure a small town cop and several others he meets travel the land looking for individuals who refuse to be sheeple and grow their community of non-conformists.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Walking Dead
    Zombie stories are kinda obvious. But you're halfway to makng it sound like a show about a metal band, and that would be a hilarious description!
    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You probably want to limit it to 2. This is one of those cases where brevity is the soul of wit. Don't try and include the whole plot, it stops being funny.
    Aye. The very thing this is based on is one, maybe two sentences each.
    My Steam profile

22. - Top - End - #142

I wouldn't have gotten it except for "reptilian pets." Then it all fell into place. But I haven't seen or read it, remove that and it's a great description guessable by fans.
    Zombie stories are kinda obvious. But you're halfway to makng it sound like a show about a metal band, and that would be a hilarious description!

Aye. The very thing this is based on is one, maybe two sentences each.
    All right, 2 sentences. Or at least 3-4 lines of text. Its just that i find the 12-words description to be lazy.

Put some heart into it!!

A native from a primitive population invade a ruler's homeland and palace and undermines his authority. The ruler tries to have his publicly executed to prevent chaos in his dominion, but is betrayed by his daughter who saves the (hot) native warrior.

She then proceeds to tour him around her father's dominion; sufficiently long to rally local rulers into a fully-fledged rebellion that ends up killing thousands and throw the entire government in chaos.

Everything could have been avoided if the primitive warrior had accepted rulership of his native land in the Ruler's name.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

All right, 2 sentences. Or at least 3-4 lines of text. Its just that i find the 12-words description to be lazy.

Put some heart into it!!

A native from a primitive population invade a ruler's homeland and palace and undermines his authority. The ruler tries to have his publicly executed to prevent chaos in his dominion, but is betrayed by his daughter who saves the (hot) native warrior.

She then proceeds to tour him around her father's dominion; sufficiently long to rally local rulers into a fully-fledged rebellion that ends up killing thousands and throw the entire government in chaos.

Everything could have been avoided if the primitive warrior had accepted rulership of his native land in the Ruler's name.
    Flash Gordon
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

The elite of society gamble on a sporting event while a mentally ill man plots a murder.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Flash Gordon
    SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE

:Smallbigbrin:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    The elite of society gamble on a sporting event while a mentally ill man plots a murder.
    Hunger Game is my first guess, though Gladiator might qualify.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Hunger Game is my first guess, though Gladiator might qualify.
    Spoiler: The Answer
    Show
    Caddyshack
    Last edited by Leewei; 2017-01-27 at 03:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    ...Some random moment in real life?
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

An oldy:

After his country is put into financial ruin a man is appointed president, and must balance his new station, his love life, and the dangers of a foreign invasion.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    An oldy:

After his country is put into financial ruin a man is appointed president, and must balance his new station, his love life, and the dangers of a foreign invasion.
    The Mouse That Roared?

Treasure hunter interferes with other treasure hunters to find a vessel. He fails to get it, but the others regret their victory. Had he not bothered to interfere at all, the others would have regretted it even more by possibly killing their boss back home.

Spoiler
    Show
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

A group of people flee their children trying to find their ancestors' home.

Spoiler
    Show
    Battlestar Galactica

Construction worker gives the shirt off his back to mentor a coworker having financial trouble. The ingrate runs amok, and the mentor has to bail him out of a bad drug deal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.