New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside 45

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 45

Dragon's Memory

Zebes pipes up, giving a passing description of the gargoyle fey, Cinder, and the kobolds. "Is this really important?" he asks.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

[Ruins]

Fayyaad puts both his hands on his sword and sweeps it in a wide arc. A jet of flame strikes from it and passes around him. Then it expands and falls to the ground, creating a wall of fire around the dais. He's not sure if it'll stop the robots, but now is a good time to find out. He then takes a quick look into one of the chests.

[Dragon's Memory]

"Those are all... middling fae," the dragon-handler says, studying the battle below absent-mindedly. The dragon is currently burning down a massive, four-eyed giant. "Hardly worthy of awakening a dragon. Why weren't there fae of greater stature with them?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon's Memory

"Presumably either they had gone rogue or all of the fae of your caliber are dead. They had mentioned something about your world that caused all the dragons to die or degenerate. Really, I don't know enough to say for sure." Jace explains, wishing they'd asked more questions.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

And here Dena had been planning to see what sort of forces that were inside the castle first, alas. She was rather skeptical towards Rein's approach though, both her and Electra were fully armed, and in her case she could accidentally kill most of the guards by just losing her sunglasses. Were the guards seriously not going to stop and at least take their weapons or something? If they didn't, they were either afraid, or thought they could gang up on them while they were inside castle.

She eyes Electra. "Be alert, this could be a trap. Rein thinks his charisma is going to carry us all the way, but I'm not sure the guards would let us that close to their lord without even taking our weapons. "

[The Siege of VIGIL]

((I'll post for this tomorrow.))
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-01-10 at 09:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bountiful Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "Oh, um, a-all righty." Grace had expected a bit more interest, but that was okay. She had her own things she didn't want to talk about, and understood not wanting to talk about it. "Right, so this way then!" She says, picking up her picnic basket, and leading the way off to where she parked!
    It's not a terribly short walk, and along the way she keeps trying to make conversation, and pointing out any fun new herbs or things they pass, in case Idun might want them.
    Her conversation starters, if she needs more than one, range from things like "What kind of food do you like?" to "Where did you learn about herbs and science and stuffs?".
    Idun follows Grace without protest, carrying her bag of new herbs and reagents on her shoulder.

"Well, I taught myself about alchemy, and it's mostly been trial and error. There isn't exactly a user's manual for this stuff."

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Bountiful Forest

Idun follows Grace without protest, carrying her bag of new herbs and reagents on her shoulder.

"Well, I taught myself about alchemy, and it's mostly been trial and error. There isn't exactly a user's manual for this stuff."
    Bountiful Forest

"Oh wow!" Grace replies, looking back over her shoulder at Idun, looking fairly surprised. "Good for you! That couldn't have been easy."
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

7. - Top - End - #37

NinjaGuy

[Ruins]

The wall of flames will indeed stop the robots, but none of them need to get that close, Fayyaad will quickly find out, as when they get within 15 feet of the dais, each one rears up onto its back "legs", revealing what seems to be a port of some sort. The robots fire small metallic spheres from the port on arcing paths in short bursts, three at a time, aimed at the tiefling, but when the spheres meet the fire wall, they expode, vaporizing themselves in the process. The explosions are very low yield; Fayyaad won't need to worry about shrapnel or concussion, but getting hit by one when he drops his flame wall will be less than pleasant.

In the meantime, he'll find that there are actually four chests up here; one was hidden from him in his previous vantage point. None appear to have been opened; he might be pleased to find that the one he delves into opens easily, and contains what appears to be a rather large pistol, finished in black, with a strange symbol shaped vaguely like an omega emblazoned in dark green around the barrel. In fact, the bore is too large to be a normal firearm, though messing with what seem like the normal controls for its mechanisms gets the entire back of the weapon to slide out, revealing a loading ramp and the empty chamber. There is no magazine, so one must reload after each shot. Curiously, no light can be seen through the weapon if he takes the step of looking through the bore, either from the chamber or muzzle end; the weapon must work on other principles.

The pistol is the chest's only contents; if Fayyaad bothers to try and close the lid of the chest after removing its contents, it will stop just before closing, similar to the empty chest in the previous room.

[Degenburg Castle]

Electra hands the binoculars back to Dena, her expression not changing. Her voice over the comm is cold, detached and professional.

"Unless their lord is so confident in his own power to destroy whatever threat appears before him that the guards are more just there for show. But you're right. Still, only one way to find out which it is."

She follows Rein nonchalantly, though her eyes dart about, watching for both guards and any other threat that might present itself.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2017-01-10 at 11:24 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

8. - Top - End - #38

Bountiful Forest

"It wasn't, no. But I had a lot of reasons to learn. The people back home, they don't really see the potential in these plants. They just look for the ones that dull pain." Idun shakes her head at that. "But I know they're capable of so much more.

9. - Top - End - #39

Bountiful Forest

"It wasn't, no. But I had a lot of reasons to learn. The people back home, they don't really see the potential in these plants. They just look for the ones that dull pain." Idun shakes her head at that. "But I know they're capable of so much more.
    Bountiful Forest -> Secluded Parking Spot

"There is definitely something to be said for the ones that can dull pain, but there's absolutely so much more they can do! I'm even more excited to let you through my books, now! I think you'll really enjoy them." As Grace finishes saying that, she pulls out a set of keys, and pushes a button on them, popping open the trunk of her car.
    Her car is actually very nice. It's not a luxury car, nor any sort of sports car. Just a very high end, standard, four door car. With seat warmers. She was very emphatic about that at the dealership.
    "Do you want to store anything for the trip there?" She asks, putting her own stuff back into the trunk of the car.
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

10. - Top - End - #40

Secluded Parking Spot

Idun is transfixed by the sight of the car. She had never seen metal shaped like this. It was so smooth, too. "Ah, I'll be fine. I expected to be walking, so I only took what I could carry."

11. - Top - End - #41

Secluded Parking Spot

Idun is transfixed by the sight of the car. She had never seen metal shaped like this. It was so smooth, too. "Ah, I'll be fine. I expected to be walking, so I only took what I could carry."
    Secluded Parking Spot

"Oh, perfectly fair! Hop on in. The handle's right there." Grace kind of points around the car in the general direction of the door handle, as she opens her own door and sits inside.
    She then spends a bit going over things like seat-belts, and if Idun expressed any sort of interest, she gladly explained how the engine worked, exactly how it worked, and whatever else Idun might ask about it. Until she was sure Idun was ready to get going.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

"Thank you," Reinholdt tells the guard before heading in, traversing his way to the courtyard at a leisurely pace, glancing up from time to time. Storm looks like it'll be bad. Might have to stay here until passes.

He'll wait until he believes they're out of earshot before addressing Dena. "Oi. I thought you said Sszinyon was chased off by a paladin?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

[Redbrick Falls]

>Kharja pops into existence.
    >Kharja begins collecting small (one size category below medium) sized rocks to create a rock snowman (a snowman made of rocks).
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

[Ruins]

So far, so good. Fayyaad is largely unfamiliar with firearms, but this could come in handy. He figures he'll have time to check one more chest before the wall of fire fades, so he does just that.

[Dragon's Memory]

...if that is so, then the future you come from is a grim one, the fae says, slowly. They peer into the distance, without seeing. "It means we've lost and the Fairest of Lands are gone."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #45

[Degenburg Castle]

Dena takes a quick look around, making sure no one was really around, or there were open windows or the like. "I heard that was the case, and we came to check out if it was still true or not. As I suspected, it is not. Sszinyon is back and we're going to have a little talk with him." She turns to Electra. "Electra, this place is shielded from teleportation right? I need to know for sure." She had something they could use otherwise. Knowing if it was or not was essential for the plan. She then turns back to Rein. "So how much do you know about Sszunyon? Do you think he can be convinced to simply call the ninja off, or would he simply deny deny it until we starts threatening him? I need to know as much as possible about him, how good a fighter is he for instance? Does he have magic?"

[The Siege of VIGIL]

"I don't have time for this." The fiend states as it raises its hand, making the weapon bounce off a invisible barrier which seem to have formed near the demons open palm. "Your 'temple' is going to come under attack soon, Jaccalish, so you better stop playing around with mortals." Around the fiend reality seem to blur and flicker, giving away for a black structure which appears to lie underneath. Whoever the demon is speaking however, isn't answering.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-01-11 at 05:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Secluded Parking Spot

Idun opens the door and clambers inside with more than a little trepidation. After hearing the explanation, she clicks on the seatbelt and is pretty quick to ask how this thing's supposed to go. She saw it had wheels, but it looked so heavy . . .

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

[The Siege of VIGIL]

The axe returns to Thariza's hand as the Charr snarls. The glow around her hands and weapons changes colour from purple to green, and a scream of fury can be heard, just this side of the edge of hearing. Thariza disappears and reappears next to the demon, bringing her mace down in an overhead slam. It's surrounded with a green light, and will punch through any defences much more easily. She dismisses the changing scenery for now.

18. - Top - End - #48

Secluded Parking Spot

Idun opens the door and clambers inside with more than a little trepidation. After hearing the explanation, she clicks on the seatbelt and is pretty quick to ask how this thing's supposed to go. She saw it had wheels, but it looked so heavy . . .
    Secluded Parking Spot

And Grace gladly explains how the internal combustion engine works! How the engine expends fuel to create the force that, through a long roundabout process gets to the wheels, then the wheels turn, which because of the friction of the road causes the car to move because in a friction fight something has to give, and the car weighs less than the planet, but this doesn't really work where there's little friction like on ice, because then the tires just spin, an- . . .
    "And I'm rambling. I'll just show you." With that, Grace turns the key in the ignition, and the car hums to life. The car itself is pretty quiet, though the sound system definitely is not, as it comes back to life in the middle of a song. It's somewhat loud, but not painfully so, and Grace quickly turns it down.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Secluded Parking Spot

Idun jumps as the car starts. She sort of understood what was happening, but the subtle vibration coupled with the song was still a shock to someone for whom the most advanced bit of technology in the world was a siege tower.

20. - Top - End - #50

Secluded Parking Spot

Idun jumps as the car starts. She sort of understood what was happening, but the subtle vibration coupled with the song was still a shock to someone for whom the most advanced bit of technology in the world was a siege tower.
    Secluded Parking Spot

"Sorry about that. I forgot I had music going." Grace gives Idun a few moments to settle down, before she starts moving the car. "Is theeere anywhere you want to go first? We could hit up a book store? Local college probably has a bookstore. Library?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

NinjaGuy

[Ruins]

Well, if Fayyaad wants to learn about this particular weapon, he's just hit the jackpot. The second chest's contents are three boxes, each one containing about 20 or so shells, each box containing a different color: red in one, blue in a second, and green in a third. The boxes are made of metal, but any markings on them have long since faded away. After removing the boxes, he might note that there's an odd recess in the bottom of the chest: a second compartment. Opening this reveals a 5-shell carrier that can be attached to a belt, filled with 5 shells that are yet a different color: an ominous black. All of the shells are the same uniform size; they lack any apparent primer, but it's obvious which end is which since there's something of a taper to them, and a recessed band near the wide end, obviously meant for the pistol's extractor. There's also no bullet obvious on the smaller end, just a rounded dome that barely protrudes from the mouth of the case, and it's the same color as the rest of the shell.

While Fayyaad extracts his prizes, the robots continue their plodding advance, pausing occasionally to fire their ineffective explosives at him despite the barrier.

[Degenburg Castle]

"I'm not entirely sure. Normally I get an alert if I get redirected due to a barrier. This time, I didn't," Electra explains quietly, in case anyone can hear them. "Let me run a check."

Her irises will glow briefly while she queries the barrier sensor in her EV unit, and sets up a small alert bubble on her internal HUD. The sensor will tell her if teleportation is not possible due to either technological or magical barriers, such as dimensional lock spells, or specialized force fields meant to deter such travel, though in the case of the former, it won't tell her why she can't teleport, just that she can't. The alert bubble will light up when/if she passes into such fields, and go out once she's past the edge of the effect. Once she's set this up, her irises will stop glowing. While she gets set up, she'll quietly listen to what Dena and Rein work out on Sszinyon, following along if they continue to move.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

22. - Top - End - #52

Secluded Parking Spot

"College? You mean like the Academy?" Idun both looks and sounds confused. Her gaze is pretty squarely outside the windshield, though. They were going so much faster than any horse! How was that possible?

23. - Top - End - #53

Secluded Parking Spot

"College? You mean like the Academy?" Idun both looks and sounds confused. Her gaze is pretty squarely outside the windshield, though. They were going so much faster than any horse! How was that possible?
    On the road again! Somewhere!

"Something like, yeah! Here, colleges are a lot more common, so there's never any single 'this is the only place for research and study' or whatnot." And indeed they were! By the magic of cars, they were travelling quite fast! Though Grace, being a good driver, followed the speed limits, began slowing down well in time so she never needed to slam on her brakes last second, and always used her turn signals. "I take it back home you guys only ever had the one place?"
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

On the Road

"Well, if you're Valnessan and training to be a mage, yeah. Otherwise they won't let you past the door." Idun remembers being turned away without even getting the chance to explain herself.

25. - Top - End - #55

On the Road

"Well, if you're Valnessan and training to be a mage, yeah. Otherwise they won't let you past the door." Idun remembers being turned away without even getting the chance to explain herself.
    Road Trip

"Wooooow. Here, pretty much, you just kinda walk in. If you want to take classes, then you have to pay, but aside from that it's just a walk in and you can act like you own the place. You might need to be a student to borrow things from the library, but they won't stop you from going in and just reading. And anyone can buy from their bookstores. They just want money." Grace shook her head slightly, thinking about just how inclusive that Academy sounded. Didn't sound fun.
    "Oh, and if you want music, the radio is right there." She, of course, follows up with which buttons and knobs do what, so if Idun wanted to put on some rockin' tunes, she could absolutely do that.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

"Alright hold up," Reinholdt says, stopping for a moment. "Can someone please explain to me what we're trying to do here and why? At first we were looking for family to contact about Raril's condition and then we somehow magically trailed the assassin here via unknown means and came here presumably trying to figure out who hired him maybe? Except that was just me guessing because it kinda seemed reasonable, and now you wish to know how well Sszinyon can hold his own and no seriously, what the hell is the plan here? I'm good at winging it, but even I need to know to what end. What are we trying to accomplish?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

27. - Top - End - #57

[Degenburg Castle]

Ah, the drawback of constant telepathic-like communication. "Okay, I'll try to summarize it quickly. When the assassin escape the tavern, I managed to send my drone, Violet, after him, and it tracked him to this castle. After looking it up, I saw Sszinyon's name mentioned in the information blurb I found, which immediately made me suspect that he might have something to do with all this. Family always have some reason to dislike one another after all. So after finding out that he indeed has returned, I'd like to have a chat with him. However, I'm not sure he is all that eager to talk to us if he really did send that assassin, he might even get violent, or we might have to get violent with him. Whatever the case, I would like to know a bit more about the guy so I know what we're getting into." She explains.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [The Siege of VIGIL]

The axe returns to Thariza's hand as the Charr snarls. The glow around her hands and weapons changes colour from purple to green, and a scream of fury can be heard, just this side of the edge of hearing. Thariza disappears and reappears next to the demon, bringing her mace down in an overhead slam. It's surrounded with a green light, and will punch through any defences much more easily. She dismisses the changing scenery for now.
    [The Siege of VIGIL]

The demon holds up its arm to block the blow in the last second, and the mace smashes into the demons armor, creating cracks along its entire arm. "Mistake." The demon grunts through the pain, reaching out to touch Thariza's arm before she has the chance to pull back. If it manages to touch her, she will find the arm the demon touched to be completely immobile, bond by some demonic enchantment.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Dragon's Memory]

...if that is so, then the future you come from is a grim one, the fae says, slowly. They peer into the distance, without seeing. "It means we've lost and the Fairest of Lands are gone."
    Dragon's Memory

Jace throws up his hands.
    "That seems to be the impression I got from them. But what am I doing now? " he asks, starting to get impatient with the fae. He didn't come here to play forty(twenty!)twenty-questions with a dead fairy.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

[Ruins]

Fayyaad decides there's no time to search the other chests. He grabs the shells and makes his way towards the doors at the end. The fire barrier parts before him, and then disappears altogether. At that point, Fayyaad will duck behind the nearest pillar and continue his withdrawal from there.

[The Siege of VIGIL]

Thariza leans back as her arm stiffens, blinking away from the demon in a flurry of green smoke. When she reappears, the arm seems to be working fine, and she circles the demon menacingly.

30. - Top - End - #60

NinjaGuy

[Ruins]

The robots turn to follow him in their plodding gate, firing more of those bombs after him, but he's easily able to evade them. Unfortunately, they seem to have locked onto him somehow, because hiding doesn't seem to deter their advance on his position. He can really only retreat to the room he came from; this room lacks any other doors. Still, the way to the door is relatively clear, at least, for the moment, and the door doesn't seem to be locked, either.

[Degenburg Castle]

Electra's irises stop glowing and she holds up a hand before interrupting quietly, looking to Dena.

"Sorry to interrupt, but in answer to your previous question, Dena, no, there's no shielding here. I think the redirect might have been due to certain minerals in the stone here causing interference with my system. It happens sometimes, and it requires some equipment I don't have to prevent. It's not dangerous, just annoying." She looks to Rein, and shrugs. "What Dena said is pretty much it, though I believe our end goal is to get him to recall his assassin and convince him to cancel the hit on Raril, if he indeed did send the assassin. If he didn't, then we need to find out who did, and do the same song and dance. Did I miss anything, Dena?"