New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Megadungeon B (IC) III

Scarecrow

Spoiler
    Show
    Some mysterious force scolds Scarecrow, but he doesn't let that get to him. Scarecrow wasn't in great danger, but other travelers wouldn't be so lucky, and letting the dragon grow would only lead for future harm. Scarecrow examines the body for anything of value, including with Detect Magic, before returning to Endeesy.

(2d8)[10] repair.

Scarecrow considers the possibility of sewer exploration. "Well, there's no harm in checking it out. I don't know how big of a challenge it would be, if it will be enough for you, but let's check it out. But I want to go by the docks first. I asked Absterbossk to check where Erebus is, and apparently Erebus is on a ship, called the Bloody Hangman. I want to find out where it's headed... Though I don't know what I would do with the information."

"Absterbossk is willing to travel with us and hold the orbs in order to protect them from scrying, but he has his terms... He wants to keep the orbs with him after our quest is complete, so that he can try and realign the Far Plane of Kwn. He also said that if we are going to be traveling mainly through teleportation, that scrying wouldn't be a serious issue for us, as we will be too difficult to chase down for Quasxthe's minions."

"Another thing, I asked Absterbossk regarding the belt of wide earth, in case you wouldn't be able to find one. He said that in Myth Selu'glaurach, there is a hidden temple of Mirk, in which the Heart of Mirk resides. Absterbossk said that she possesses the belt, and if we find her, we may negotiate for it, since Mirk and Quasxthe aren't on the best of terms. If we go to Myth Selu'glaurach, we could also try to research about Kwn, and decide if we are okay with Absterbossk's terms, or if we rather risk the scrying."

"I also killed a green dragon on the way back." Scarecrow mentions. "I couldn't really carry it back with me, but if you want to taste it or try to get the body back for the scales or something, it's not body isn't too far to the southeast of the ruins on Mount Dis...
    Last edited by Sliver; 2017-03-18 at 02:27 PM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Scarecrow
    Show
    Gus

The dragon didn't have any possessions on it, and a cursory investigation of the area doesn't lead to any obvious signs of a nearby hoard -- dragons, even very young ones, do tend to range a fair distance from their hoards. The dragon's possessions could be anywhere.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Eleanor

"Look, Scarecrow," Eleanor says. "Absterbossk's been very helpful, but no way, no how, are we letting him get anywhere closer towards bringing back the far plane of madness."

Frankly I think we might have to take him out, she thinks to herself.

"Anyway, I have several weapons other than Exogenesis. "I'm ready to go and explore the sewers, especially if it will help people. Just... someone has a wand or two of Prestidigitation for after, right?"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy

At a jeweler, Eleanor also sells some gems for 260 gp, which divides 5 ways into 52gp for each party member.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Doldor

Doldor is glad to see Scarecrow back unharmed; he gives him his 4000 gp back, explaining that the Belt of Wide Earth has proven difficult to find. "We may indeed need to pay this hidden temple of Mirk a visit. In fact, that sounds like a good next path to take. I wouldn't mind us all becoming a big tougher before we start invading fortresses on the Elemental Planes."

"As for Erebus, we can certainly find out where he's heading, but..." The dwarf shrugs awkwardly. "His life is his own. He doesn't owe us loyalty, and if he felt called to go elsewhere I understand. His past is a confusing and dark one, and he may have simply decided to take the time to find himself. If he causes enough trouble that we get word of it, then it will become a more pressing matter to find him."

"As for Absterbossk... I agree with Eleanor. The old Mind Flayer has a certain sense of honor, and I may even respect him, but I do not fully trust him. His kind are anathema to nature; everything I have read suggests that they are not even of this world. Beyond that, the Plane of Kwn is decidedly not a part of the current natural order, and while there may be philosophical arguments that it deserves to be moved back into place just as much as the Lawful Plane of Earth, I simply cannot help such an action come to pass. I like this world the way it is; perhaps a little dryer, with more land to move around on, but the fundamental rules work pretty well without an influx of madness. We may be hampered slightly with the threat of being tracked down, but my (soon to be) ability to easily move us to the Plane of Earth should help us evade any pursuers."

"And we'll keep the location of the dragon in mind; I may make a day trip out there to harvest the hide. No sense in letting something like that go to waste, after all."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Scarecrow

"Erebus may not owe us loyalty, but we were the ones who cured him, and as such, I feel responsible. As long as he isn't a danger, I wouldn't go hunting him down, but I rather know where he is headed..." Scarecrow explains. He'll wait for everybody be finish eating before heading out to the docks.

"Do you want to check the sewers, or should we wait for the equipment to be finished and head to Myth Selu'glaurach?"

Scarecrow has nothing to add about Absterbossk. He wasn't too keen on the idea on the first place, but presented it for the others to judge for themselves.

Spoiler
    Show
    In-game the question is odd, considering it's wasting time vs doing some probably minor work...
    But it is more of a real-time question... And leaving the sewers quest open will allow the lower-leveled PCs some nearby quests that they can use, assuming they don't let the oozes eat all of the team members,
    anyway.

I'm more in favor of not going into the sewers for OOC reasons than IC ones.

Malimar, is the location of Myth Selu'glaurach known, or at least how one would get there? If it's by normal ship, then we should probably inquire about getting to Myth Selu'glaurach while at the docks, anyway.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Doldor

Doldor shrugs, looking in the direction of the market district. "We're going to need to wait for over a week for everyone's items to be ready, and I'm on the cusp of several new powers. You don't need to come with me if you don't want to, but if I can do a little good for the people around here while training my powers, I'm going to do that. I could also just wander around the wilderness waiting to run into something, but that seems like a poor use of time when I know there are monsters beneath us right now."

He stands up, adjusting the straps on his pack. "How about this; you go down to the docks and hunt for Erebus, and I'll go clean up some sewer monsters. That way I won't be wasting your time."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We have over a week of downtime left, Doldor has nothing to do, and hitting level 9 will make a huge difference in the kind of power he has available. The reason I want to go into the sewers in the first place is because we need to wait so long for all the magic items to be ready. It shouldn't take too long, maybe a few days in Real Life, and it will make a big difference for Doldor. How long did Scarecrow's two individual sidequests just take? Barely any time at all.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2017-03-20 at 08:07 AM.

LGBTitP

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Malimar, is the location of Myth Selu'glaurach known, or at least how one would get there? If it's by normal ship, then we should probably inquire about getting to Myth Selu'glaurach while at the docks, anyway.
    Myth Selu'glaurach's location is not a secret -- generally someplace east of Gus and west of Miranda -- though the specifics are a matter of ocean currents and thus known only to skilled navigators. But ships travel from Endeesy to Myth Selu'glaurach all the time. It's a trip of, like, a month and a half, maybe two.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Shian

Spoiler
    Show
    Shian will accompany Doldor in his XP gathering quest on any day that he goes. I'm fairly confident that you know Shian's standard tactics, so feel free to just do the rolls for him if it helps to speed things along.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Sewers

Show
    I suggest everybody go into the sewers, just so nobody is left twiddling their thumbs while the rest of the party is doing sewer encounters. But that's nothing more than an OOC suggestion.

And don't worry too much about reducing available things for low-level parties to do in this case -- the sewers are a massive environment with tons of monsters, it'd take hundreds of encounters to clear them completely.

So at some point, the party, or whatever portion of the party chooses to do the sewer thing, finds a personhole and descends down a ladder into the sewers! (Brutus the pony may have trouble with the ladder and may need to be left upside.)

The sewer turns out to be surprisngly spacious! It doubles as a storm drain, and Endeesy is right on the coast, so it gets hurricanes and/or monsoons occasionally, so the sewers under the Crown District were dug with much greater capacity than is currently being used. (Only the Crown District and the districts to the east and south have sewers -- nobody cares about the more inland districts.)

(This picture is only meant to be impressionistic, not a literal exactly what you're seeing -- I couldn't find a more precise picture on the intertubes, and I can't go take a better screenshot myself because the game no longer exists.)

To the west, south, and east, 15' wide cylindrical tubes head off into darkness. The stench is horrible, and slime covers every surface. A 5'-wide trench funnels noxious sewage down away to the south and east, with 5'-wide walkways on either side. There are periodic grates in the ceiling of the sewers, to let sunlight, storm water, and chamberpot contents flow into the sewer -- light down here is generally dim but serviceable.

No creatures big enough to be a concern are immediately visible. Only mundane Fine bugs crawling on the walls.

Obvious directions for exploration are west, south, and east.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Code:
    ###################
    .......EH<CDN......
    ~~~~~~~~=~=~~~~~~~~
    .........=.........
    ########.~.########
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
    # = curved wall
    . = walkway
    = = small bridge over sewage
    ~ = flowing sewage
    < = ladder up to manhole

C = Scarecrow
    D = Doldor
    H = Shian
    E = Eleanor
    N = Namia

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Scarecrow

Deciding that since he doesn't sleep, he can ask regarding Erebus during the early morning hours or at any other time, Scarecrow joins the group at the sewers. Unless anyone is keen on any specific direction, Scarecrow points one at random, uses chalk to mark on the wall which direction they picked, just in case at that point, though he will be marking any turns they take, and then begins walking that way. (If anyone else wants to take point, just say so, but Scarecrow doesn't mind.)

(1d3)[2] 1-east, 2-west, 3-south. (We can always use the carpet to cross the sewage, if needed)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Eleanor

"South is the obvious direction from here, so let's go a different way. I suggest West," Eleanor says.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy, Rewinding A Bit To Before Lunch

Also, as the money is spent for the scrolls of restoration, Namia and Eleanor can head to a temple to have a priest use them, or have somebody with UMD, or something. Whoever it is uses the scrolls... *rolls* ...successfully, and successfully! Eleanor and Namia are cured of their Constitution drain!

Endeesy Sewers, In The Present

That's at least two votes for West, and it doesn't matter too much, so off the party heads to the west!

After a hundred feet or so, they pass a group of five elves and one drow in thick leather wading boots and other filthy accoutrements of the sewer-workers, working on unclogging a clog the sewage stream.

About two hundred feet past that, they come upon six miserable-looking mongrelfolk guards in the uniforms of the local constabulary (trying their best to keep their uniforms from getting completely filthified with sewage), half of them bearing rapiers and the other half bearing crossbows, keeping watch over an intersection. They nod to the party.

Another hundred feet or so to the west can be faintly seen a writhing mass carpeting the walls and walkways and sewage channel -- hundreds of rats, perhaps? To the north, nothing moves but the flow of sewage.

Show
    Code:
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #.~.#
           #p~p#
    ########.~.########
    ......p.C=N.p......
    ~~~~~~~~=~=~~~~~~~~
    ......p.EDH.p......
    ###################
    # = curved wall
    . = walkway
    ~ = flowing sewage
    < = ladder up to manhole

C = Scarecrow
    D = Doldor
    H = Shian
    E = Eleanor
    N = Namia
    p = mongrelfolk guard

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Doldor

Doldor, being thoughtful, remembered to buy a Filter Mask (or several) while the group was out shopping. It doesn't cut out all of the sewer stench, but it does make things a little more bearable.

When the party spots the guards, Doldor waves a friendly greeting; though not too friendly, which might seem suspicious in a sewer. "Hello, there. We're hunting monsters for the bounty. Is there anything particularly dangerous down here? We're a bit tougher than your average adventuring party, and may be able to take care of things that would otherwise cause trouble."

Show
    Filter Mask is from Sandstorm, costs 1gp, and is great. I've been meaning to get one for a while, but never remembered when we were in town.

LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Sewers

One of the guards points westward, "There are some great big rats that way." He points to the west. "We're, uh, supposedly holding the line while the sewer workers that way" he points to the east "clear up a blockage. But I guess if you were to get rid of the rats, we could head elsewhere."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Doldor

Brutus has been left in the park with the Mad Druid and his bison (or just on the street, he'll be fine either way), so the party is a bit smaller than usual. "Gather close, everyone. These rats shouldn't cause us trouble; we can give them a proper extermination and then move on. Just stay within ten feet of me, and they shouldn't be able to touch you."

He holds his hands out, chanting for a moment, and then every single insect, spider, or rat within ten feet of Doldor either quickly flees from him, or dies. The bubble isn't visible, but the edges of it are easily distinguished by the small cluster of ants and beetles and midges that refuse to get any closer to him. He then proceeds west towards the rats, making sure that the group is within 10 feet of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Repel Vermin, which will last 80 minutes. Having a plan and preparing for it is fun.

LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Sewers, In The Present

Doldor casts repel vermin, altering the spell slightly on the fly to repel rats as well as proper vermin.

Then the party advances westward, into the mass of rats, with Scarecrow breathing on them and Shian spitting acid and Eleanor and Namia smashing them. It's mostly Doldor and Scarecrow, though. All the rats (4 rat swarms and 2 dire rats, if you want specifics, so quite a lot of rats) that don't just flee into side pipes are pretty much rat rat flambé. The dire rats can't penetrate Doldor's repel vermin, and the rat swarms... hmm, are made up of individuals none of which can individually penetrate, and anyway they all fail their saves.

Eleanor and Namia gain 280XP each, Shian and Doldor gain 240XP each, Scarecrow gains 180XP! By my calculations, Doldor levels up.

Show
    My records for Doldor's XP: 15968+150+450+113+450+300+150+1800+300+1800+770+17 5+280+70+53+315+105+140+105+490+1330+33+800+52+70+ 105+140+210+315+7280+80+880+500+240=36019

And then the party comes to a place where the walkable sewer ends and turns into just a bunch of pipes too small for anybody but Shian to navigate. Shian elects not to swim in the poop-water.

The guards stand slack-jawed and thunderstruck. They're all like, "Welp."

Show
    Code:
                                                   #.~.#
                                                   #.~.#
                                                   #.~.#
                                                   #.~.#
                                                   #.~.#
                                                   #.~.#
                                                   #p~p#
    ################################################.~.########
    #....CD......**..*............................p..=..p......
    #~~~~~~~~~~******~**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=~=~~~~~~~~
    #....ENH...***.**.**..........................p.....p......
    ###########################################################
    # = curved wall
    . = walkway
    ~ = flowing sewage
    < = ladder up to manhole
    * = hundreds of dead rats

C = Scarecrow
    D = Doldor
    H = Shian
    E = Eleanor
    N = Namia
    p = mongrelfolk guard
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-03-20 at 09:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Namia

"Well, I think I can barely fit my arm in there but I don't think that will get us anywhere....This is such a nasty place...." Namia asks as she tries to see how much she can bend the metal of the pipes with her bare hands, if at all.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Scarecrow

Scarecrow stops Namia before she can deal actual damage to Endeesy's infrastructure. "That's not really necessary. There's plenty of areas to explore without making our own path." He says, heading back to the guards. He smiles at Doldor. "From being the champion of the arena to casting fourth circle spells in the sewers, aren't you eager to show off."

Turning to the guards, Scarecrow asks. "Do you know of any other areas that may be problematic?"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Shian

Shian sends Shicrystal into the tangle of pipes a short distance, being much faster walking and potentially more maneuverable in such a place. The fact that it's a construct that doesn't need to breathe and can't become ill helps too... Shian's rather curious as to what's deeper within the tangle...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowing they were heading down into the sewers, a sufficiently dungeon-like environment as far as Shian is concerned, he shaped Theft Gloves this morning rather than Lucky Dice.
    Spoiler: Soulmelds and Stats
    Show
    Chakra Soulmeld Essentia Effect
    Crown Shedu Crown (bound) 0 Immune to Bull Rush effects
    +0 Saves vs [mind-affecting] effects.; telepathy 100 ft
    Throat Dissolving Spittle 3 30-foot ranged touch attack for 4d6 acid damage
    Shoulders Pauldrons of Health 1 Immune to disease and sickened and nauseated conditions
    +1 enhancement bonus to Fort saves.
    Arms Lifebond Vestments (+1) 0 1/hour/living creature, heal up to 6 hp, take half as damage.
    Hands Theft Gloves 0 +2 insight bonus on Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand Checks.
    Item Lesser Soulbound Shield 0 Increase shield's enhancement bonus by +0
    Shian
    HP 52/52, Speed 1 ft. / fly 50 (good)
    AC 27 / T 23 / FF 21, Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +10
    Power Points 5/5, Inspiration Points 3/3

Shicrystal
    HP 26/26, Speed 15 ft. (riding on Shian's animated shield)
    AC 16 / T 16 / FF 14, Fort +6, Ref +11, Will +7
    Hardness 8, Power Points 2/2
    Last edited by Rizban; 2017-03-21 at 04:48 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Doldor

While Scarecrow talks to the guards, Doldor is concentrating on a sudden burst of insight that has come over him. He feels his connection to the Lawful Plane of Earth grow deeper, and stronger; if he wanted to, he feels that he could reach out across the planar void and make a physical connection. "You won't have to worry about getting home any more, Namia," Doldor says softly. "I've become a true Shepherd of the Plane of Earth. It's a big step towards correcting the alignment of the planes."

Outside, Brutus feels a bit tougher and more coordinated.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2017-03-21 at 01:56 PM.

LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Eleanor

The crusader contemplates the northern route as Scarecrow talks to the guards.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Sewers

HEY. I totally posted a long, complicated post here. It must have been eaten. Probably by my own incompetence somehow. Still, rude!

Okay, very well, the gist, because I don't feel like re-typing the specifics:

The guards tell the party that to the north is some green slime, which slimed one of them before they scraped it off.

The party locates the two patches of green slime to the north, and Scarecrow destroys them effortlessly. Eleanor and Namia gain 280xp each, Shian gains 240xp, Doldor and Scarecrow gain 180xp each. Namia levels up to 8, by my calculations.

After a few hundred feet, the sewer tunnel to the north also ends in a tangle of smaller pipes.

However, Shian finds a secret door near the end of the sewer tunnel. The secret door leads to a cellar full of casks and bottles of beverages and crates of foodstuffs, and the stairs up from the cellar lead to behind the bar at the Adventurer's Guild. Because obviously no self-respecting Adventurer's Guild wouldn't have a secret passage to the sewers.

So that's west and north accounted for.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Namia could bend or break the little pipes (lead, copper, iron, ceramic) if she wanted to, and they pretty much lead to private dwellings. Shian's psicrystal ends up in somebody's bathroom via their toilet-hole.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-03-22 at 12:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Eleanor

"Are we done now? Or shall we see if we can clear out a few more monsters from the other areas? I would heartily recommend leaving the Guild's stock alone," Eleanor says.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Shian

'I think we should do what we can do while we're down here. There's no reason to leave dangerous creatures to threaten those weaker than ourselves simply because we grew bored or gained what we wanted from the area, particularly when we can resolve the situation with minimal effort on our own part.'
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Eleanor nods; she certainly appreciates that line of reasoning.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Scarecrow

"The sewers are quite expansive, and there isn't a specific situation that needs resolving. I doubt we can eradicate the monsters entirely, and if there was anything that would be a serious threat, I doubt we would be directed at green slime." Scarecrow notes, but looks at Doldor to decide, since they came here for his sake.

As they return to the guards, he asks. "By the way, if we decide to claim the bounty on the monsters we slay down here, who do we talk to, and what proof do we need to bring?" Scarecrow wonders about how does the bounty on four rat swarms works. He isn't too interested in the bounty at the moment, but if they do end up staying longer in the sewers, it may become worthwhile to claim their due.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Sewers

The guards direct Scarecrow to Sir Nelson at the royal palace to claim the bounty. They suggest that heads are sufficient, but in terms of things like slimes and swarms of regular rats (each of which definitely only counts as one)... they shrug. A dishonest person could probably bluff Sir Nelson and claim that more monsters had been unprovably slain than actually had been.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Doldor

Doldor takes care of beheading the dire rats, and he puts a few dozen regular rat tails into a bag as a token effort of proof. He also collects some of the green slimes in vials or containers, especially if he can figure out a good way to use their parts. "There doesn't seem to be too much down here, so I don't mind heading back up. We've made the lives of the guards and workers down here a little easier, and I did indeed get the breakthrough I was looking for."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge to see if there's anything valuable (perhaps for crafting magic items) that can be extracted from green slimes: (1d20)[5]. +4 for Arcana, +10 for Nature, or +8 for Spellcraft. Sadly, he has no Dungoneering, which is the most appropriate skill.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2017-03-22 at 02:23 PM.

LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Sewers

Doldor knows there are a couple of obscure diseases that live green slime can be used to cure, and there are a couple of alchemical and magical recipes that live green slime can be used in. Fried/frozen green slime is sadly not as useful.