New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Offline Tools (Availability and Technical Assistance)

The situation:
    Recently asked to run a D&D game by some relatives. Relatives for whom "Dungeons and Dragons" begins and ends at 3.5 while never acknowledging the existence of anything beyond it.

The conundrum:
    They don't want to deal with "all the rules" and so do such things as "Clerics shouldn't have to prepare their spells. But a Wizard should. And a Sorcerer should because that just makes sense." or "You can't use a Sneak Attack because he knows you're there." regardless of what any of the rules actually say.

The saving grace:
    I finally convinced them after years and years that 4th edition does what they need it to.

What I need:
    I know that CB Loader has some questionable objectivity involved, but frankly I am not in a position to update to 5th edition regardless of what WOTC might want me to do. And so I have spent the last 3 days trying to locate it.
    Turns out it is still on my brother's old desktop. Victory!
    But when I copy the folder and try to put it on anything else I realize I can't find the actual CB Loader file and so it only works on that one desktop.
    Additionally, he didn't have the Adventure Tools and so I am asking the giants here; are there any products with similar functionality (ie declare the level of the thing and then go from there so it should at least be in the ballpark of balanced) that should be easily acquired?
    Also is anyone able to help me troubleshoot what in the Abyss is preventing me from pulling the character builder off the Desktop?

Hopefully these can be addressed easily. I would like to handle things just through the books but said brother lives on the other side of the country and took them with him, and it would be nice to try and indoctrinate... I mean introduce, my younger sis into the hobby.
    Fighting to your dieing breath is a benchmark, not a goal.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Offline Tools (Availability and Technical Assistance)

CBLoader file folders are under /Users/username/AppData/Roaming if you're on modern Windows.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

The full suite, so to speak, of offline tools is as follows:

1. CBLoader-powered character builder. You're familiar with this and I am sure you will soon find a link to a fresh copy to load on all of your machines.

2. Offline Compendium. This is wonderful as it may even be more functional than the official online WotC version. Again, I am guessing you might find an appropriate link shortly.

3. Masterplan. While this marvellous programme has several functions of great utility for 4E DMs, the one I use it for most of all is making monsters. The earlier versions of Masterplan allowed you to import from your DDi account but that functionality was ended by WotC via a C&C. However, the fans managed to get all the stat blocks together and they're very easy to import into Masterplan. I wonder where you might find just the right link for these as well? ;)
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Scriviner, do you happen to know where to point someone for Masterplan? Everything I've looked for points to the old shutdown website.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tanon View Post
    Scriviner, do you happen to know where to point someone for Masterplan? Everything I've looked for points to the old shutdown website.
    Yes, mate, I do. However, it's probably against board rules to post the link.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Perhaps something like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's suppose someone has Masterplan, but is looking for the libraries. Obviously, we can't link here - but perhaps some suggestions for good Google keywords? The CompendiumImport plugin won't work for me, sadly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by CandyLaser View Post
    Let's suppose someone has Masterplan, but is looking for the libraries. Obviously, we can't link here - but perhaps some suggestions for good Google keywords? The CompendiumImport plugin won't work for me, sadly.
    I would suggest these keywords: "private" AND "message" AND "Scrivener of Doom". That seems to be the most effective way to find what you're looking for. :)
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I love you, man.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list