Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elsewhen
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q 429

    Ceremony has multiple options that contain an ending sentence of "A creature can benefit from this rite only once." Does that mean it can only have one casting of that on itself at a time or that it can only have that benefit cast upon it once ever (i.e. once in their entire existence) ?

  2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dalebert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q 429 Once ever. All spells have the limit of not stacking with themselves. There would be no need to specify.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

    In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

    Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

  3. - Top - End - #1053
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q 430 Can a warlock swap its Mystic Arcanum upon level up or is it locked in? It seems like the latter but I want to make sure.

  4. - Top - End - #1054
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q 431

    Can an Unseen Servant "ride" Tenser's Floating Disk or a Phantom Steed? Better yet, cast all 3 rituals, ride the Phantom Steed with the Unseen Servant on a Tenser's Floating Disk in tow? ;)
    Last edited by Rub; 2018-01-03 at 09:47 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #1055
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q432
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanathar's Guide to Everything
    Eldritch Smite

    Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature

    Once per turn when you hit a creature with your pact weapon, you can expend a warlock spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot, and you can knock the target*prone*if it is Huge or smaller.
    Bearing in mind this requires 5th level Warlock, that means the Warlock slots will be level 3, minimum.

    Is this spell therefore 1d8 per level PLUS 1d8, as suggested

    1d8+(levelx1d8) i.e. 4d8 for a level 5 lock,

    or is it 1d8 plus 1d8 per level AFTER the first level

    1d8+((level-1)x1d8) i.e. 3d8 as most spells are calculated

    I am presuming the former, but would like clarification.
    Last edited by Escribblings; 2018-01-03 at 08:37 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #1056
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A432.
    1d8+(1d8*Spell Level) - with a 3rd level slot, would deal 4d8
    Signed

  7. - Top - End - #1057
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Arkhios's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by baticeer View Post
    Q 430 Can a warlock swap its Mystic Arcanum upon level up or is it locked in? It seems like the latter but I want to make sure.
    A 430. If I'm reading this right (from the book), each Mystic Arcanum is locked in as soon as they are chosen, because Mystic Arcanum is not part of Pact Magic class feature, but instead a separate class feature which lacks any mention similar to Pact Magic in regards to changing spells when you gain further levels.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-03 at 09:13 AM.
    My 5th Edition D&D Homebrew:
    Note: Blue text written in italics implies lighthearted sarcasm. Don't take it seriously.


    sarcasm
    /ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
    noun
    the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

  8. - Top - End - #1058
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q433

    Quote Originally Posted by Spell Sniper
    When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled.
    Does this mean melee attacks such as Green Flame Blade now have a 10' range?

  9. - Top - End - #1059
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Arkhios's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q433



    Does this mean melee attacks such as Green Flame Blade now have a 10' range?
    Yes, but only the initial attack with the melee weapon, not the rider damage.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-04 at 09:10 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dalebert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A 433 (cont) Yes, what Aarchios said, and it's also important to note that you still need a reach weapon to benefit from that range because the spell still requires you to make the melee attack and Spell Sniper only extends the spell range; not the reach of your weapon. It's helpful because it means you can use a whip or polearm or other reach weapon with the spell at 10 ft.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

    In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

    Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

  11. - Top - End - #1061
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 433 (cont) Yes, what Aarchios said, and it's also important to note that you still need a reach weapon to benefit from that range because the spell still requires you to make the melee attack and Spell Sniper only extends the spell range; not the reach of your weapon. It's helpful because it means you can use a whip or polearm or other reach weapon with the spell at 10 ft.
    Thank you for the clarification. O was wondering how that worked.

  12. - Top - End - #1062
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q434. PHB says i can end my concentration on my spell at anytime (no action required). Can I end concentration on a spell if it's not my turn?

  13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A434

    Yes; that's what "anytime" means.


    Powers &8^]

  14. - Top - End - #1064
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Right behind you

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q435
    Can you make horde breaker attacks with a net? Nets can only be used to make one attack per action/bonus action/reaction, but horde breaker doesn't say it takes an action.

  15. - Top - End - #1065
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Davrix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q436

    Ok simple question as it came up tonight in game. I had a character restrained using the shadow snare ability from animated cloak from tomb of beasts. So the character in question was under the effect. He casts freedom of movement upon himself. The spell says it prevents the cause of such effects but he was already under the effect. So does the spell negate it? Even if it’s a condition that’s already applied? Cause it reads like it acts like a barrier to such effects happening to you not that it dispels the restrained condition.
    Last edited by Davrix; 2018-01-09 at 04:27 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #1066
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Red Bear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q437 Are there other "Evil" paladin oaths other than Conquest, Treachery and Oathbreaker?

  17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A 437: The only Oath I know of that actually mentions 'good' in its text is Oath of the Ancients. If you want to be creative, you can probably add degrees of evil to the Oaths of Vengeance and even Devotion. Both can be fluffed as being more 'Lawful' than 'Good'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

  18. - Top - End - #1068
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q 438

    Can an Abjurer Wizard's Simulacrum use the Arcane Ward? Can the Simulacrum cast ritual spells? If yes to both questions, can the Simulacrum use the Alarm spell as a ritual to restore the Arcane Ward?
    Last edited by Rub; 2018-01-09 at 12:34 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #1069
    Orc in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathIncarnate View Post
    Q435
    Can you make horde breaker attacks with a net? Nets can only be used to make one attack per action/bonus action/reaction, but horde breaker doesn't say it takes an action.
    A435: Only if the first attack with the net misses. On a hit the net is used up as its description only specifies a single creature (“…a Large or smaller creature…”), therefore Horde Breaker won’t process since it requires the same weapon.

    However if you miss with the first attack Horde Breaker will process and you’re free to try it on a different creature within 5 feet of the first target.

  20. - Top - End - #1070
    Orc in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post
    Q 438

    Can an Abjurer Wizard's Simulacrum use the Arcane Ward? Can the Simulacrum cast ritual spells? If yes to both questions, can the Simulacrum use the Alarm spell as a ritual to restore the Arcane Ward?
    A438: Yes it seems that it can. "Otherwise, the illusion uses all the statistics of the creature it duplicates." There are no restrictions present to limit any of the class features such as Arcane Ward or Ritual Casting.

  21. - Top - End - #1071
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    May 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Davrix View Post
    Q436

    Ok simple question as it came up tonight in game. I had a character restrained using the shadow snare ability from animated cloak from tomb of beasts. So the character in question was under the effect. He casts freedom of movement upon himself. The spell says it prevents the cause of such effects but he was already under the effect. So does the spell negate it? Even if it’s a condition that’s already applied? Cause it reads like it acts like a barrier to such effects happening to you not that it dispels the restrained condition.
    A436: Without knowing more about the animated cloak it’s difficult to say, but I suspect this would be covered by the second section of Freedom of movement which allows the creature to spend five feet of movement to escape restraints. Basically DM’s call on whether that particular effect counts as “magical restraints” or not.
    My homebrew: A list of 5e homebrew magitech augments found here, a homebrew race of devil-toads here, and the Professional, an all mundane support class. Criticism is much appreciated!

  22. - Top - End - #1072
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q439 Can you maintain concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated? Unconscious?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-01-10 at 01:22 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #1073
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q440 So I know that your cantrips continue to progress even if you multiclass out of the class that granted them (e.g. If I took Eldritch Blast at Warlock 1 and then went Sorceror, Eldritch Blast would still give me two bolts at character level 5) but where is this actually stated? Where does it say that "at level 5" means character level 5?
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2018-01-10 at 01:22 AM.
    “I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.”
    - Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork

  24. - Top - End - #1074
    Orc in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q439 Can you maintain concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated? Unconscious?
    A439: No. PH, p.203, or https://www.5esrd.com/spellcasting/#Concentration

    Concentration
    Some spells require you to maintain concentration in order to keep their magic active. If you lose concentration, such a spell ends.

    If a spell must be maintained with concentration, that fact appears in its Duration entry, and the spell specifies how long you can concentrate on it. You can end concentration at any time (no action required).

    Normal activity, such as moving and attacking, doesn’t interfere with concentration. The following factors can break concentration:

    Casting another spell that requires concentration.
    You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once.

    Taking damage. Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration. The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher. If you take damage from multiple sources, such as an arrow and a dragon’s breath, you make a separate saving throw for each source of damage.

    Being incapacitated or killed. You lose concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated or if you die.

    The GM might also decide that certain environmental phenomena, such as a wave crashing over you while you’re on a storm-tossed ship, require you to succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell.

  25. - Top - End - #1075
    Orc in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q440 So I know that your cantrips continue to progress even if you multiclass out of the class that granted them (e.g. If I took Eldritch Blast at Warlock 1 and then went Sorceror, Eldritch Blast would still give me two bolts at character level 5) but where is this actually stated? Where does it say that "at level 5" means character level 5?
    A440: Since each cantrip doesn’t specify Class level the default is then Character level, since those are the only two “levels” you can be in the game.

    https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/03...ed-caster-lvl/
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-01-10 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Formatting

  26. - Top - End - #1076
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Red Bear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q441 How does a paladin cast rituals? I can't find anything on the class description in the PHB but some spells in his list are rituals

  27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Millstone85's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A441 A paladin does not have the Ritual Casting class feature. If one of their spells has the ritual tag, it can nonetheless only be cast using a spell slot.

  28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A435: Only if the first attack with the net misses. On a hit the net is used up as its description only specifies a single creature (“…a Large or smaller creature…”), therefore Horde Breaker won’t process since it requires the same weapon.

    However if you miss with the first attack Horde Breaker will process and you’re free to try it on a different creature within 5 feet of the first target.
    A435:

    What?

    No.

    A net is NOT a one-time-use weapon. It's only destroyed if someone deals 5 slashing damage to it. There's not even any rule that says you can only restrain a single creature with a net; if you had an ability that let you attack multiple creatures with a single attack roll, you could (maybe) do it.

    Furthermore, and more importantly, a net is a THROWN weapon. Once you attack with it (whether it hits or misses), your net is no longer in your hands, and you cannot use it for further attacks. If you had multiple nets equipped, you could, but that wouldn't qualify as "the same weapon" for Horde Breaker purposes.

    So you cannot use Horde Breaker with a net (unless you're attacking with the net as an improvised melee weapon!). You could use it with a melee weapon that had the thrown property, like a handaxe, but only if the triggering attack is melee. (The Horde Breaker attack could be at range.)


    Powers &8^]

  29. - Top - End - #1079
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q442: Can Fog Cloud be cast 25' in the air (a point within range) so that the bottom 5' of ground remains outside the fog? 1st level has 20' radius. Two scenarios: 1) fighting giants (blind them, not you), or 2) cast in direct sunlight to allow light sensitive races to fight outside of direct sunlight.

  30. - Top - End - #1080
    Orc in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    R435:

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A net is NOT a one-time-use weapon. It's only destroyed if someone deals 5 slashing damage to it. There's not even any rule that says you can only restrain a single creature with a net; if you had an ability that let you attack multiple creatures with a single attack roll, you could (maybe) do it.
    I never said a net was a one time use weapon. Not sure where you got that bit from…. Okay, I see now that, "used up" should have been written, "used up by restraining the hit creature" as that is more clear.

    The description of Net clearly states singular creatures, not plural. If it could be used on multiple creatures at the same time the description would indicate that.

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Furthermore, and more importantly, a net is a THROWN weapon. Once you attack with it (whether it hits or misses), your net is no longer in your hands, and you cannot use it for further attacks. If you had multiple nets equipped, you could, but that wouldn't qualify as "the same weapon" for Horde Breaker purposes.
    Since you can move between weapon attacks there's nothing stopping the PC from retrieving their net and trying again on a miss is there?

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    So you cannot use Horde Breaker with a net (unless you're attacking with the net as an improvised melee weapon!). You could use it with a melee weapon that had the thrown property, like a handaxe, but only if the triggering attack is melee. (The Horde Breaker attack could be at range.)
    Other than the above clarifications to you have anything to support your statement that a net cannot be used with Horde Breaker?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •