New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Lightbulb Wanted: Team friendly magic item for Monk

So, i'm giving my PC's custom items and I try to give items that promote teamwork. What I have is the following (all items function once per short rest and demand attunement):

Paladin:
    Shield: 15 ft dimension door as an reaction.

Bard:
    Horn: when you blow this horn you can choose to forgo your action and let an other creature gain an action and use it on you ini count. Optionally you can gift the same creature your bonus action and movement as well.

Ranger:
    Bracer: on a successful hit knock opponent prone or back 5 ft.

Rogue:
    Blindfold: blindfold one character (free action). this character now shares your stealth result as you as long as he has one hand on your shoulder (max 1 minute). Removing the blindfold (free action) ends the effect.

Now, the 5th PC I have is a Monk. And for the life of me I cannot think of a good item.

And I'm not overly fond of the horn. The other ones all demand action from the PC that benefit an other PC. This makes the PC lose his action. And it seems more powerful than the others.

So, any feedback on the 4 items is very much appreciated. As is an idea for a cool monk item that promotes teamwork.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wanted: Team friendly magic item for Monk

A few options off the top of my head

-A rope that if you tie them to it allows the other PC to be pulled up a wall when the Monk runs up it.
    -Armband of Ki transference - Allows the Monk to spend 1 Ki as a reaction on another PCs turn to give them Step of The Wind
    -Gloves of Greater Arrow Deflection - If the Monk is within 5 feet of an ally, they can deflect missile weapons aimed at the ally as well as themselves per the deflect arrow class feature

I think my monks would have been most excited by the gloves.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cloak of Evasion: Whenever an ally within 15 feet is required to make a Dex save for an effect that would trigger the Evasion ability of the monk, the monk can use his reaction to move to the ally and spread cloak over both of them, allowing the ally to share the monk’s Evasion ability with the Monk’s dexterity check. The wearer can use this ability once per short rest.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Maybe not an item, but a special technique that extends his deflect missiles ability by some range?

The horn could be replaced by a lost poem that every time you read it its different, and when spoken out loud (requires an action) gives inspiration to the bard (which can be used on other's too), with charisma mod. uses /dawn.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Maybe less an item and instead a scroll that teaches a secret martial arts technique.

Taking some inspiration from XCom2 and their heavies: How about:

Piercing Strike: your next successful attack reduces a targets ac by 2 (does not stack), usable a number of times equal to your wisdom mod. Recharges on a short rest.

Or

Sentai Strike: Hold your initiative to act on the same turns as your allies. Inflict +1 damage for each ally who successfully hits your target. Increase damage if wielding the power of truth, love, and friendship? Etc

I am sure you can get creative and come up with something that leaves enemies vulnerable to a team attack.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This is gold, all. Nice ideas to work off of.

I particularly like the cloak and the gloves. The Sentai Strike could be worked into an item for the bard. It all keys of abilities the players like to use.

Keep em coming!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    A few options off the top of my head

-A rope that if you tie them to it allows the other PC to be pulled up a wall when the Monk runs up it.
    -Armband of Ki transference - Allows the Monk to spend 1 Ki as a reaction on another PCs turn to give them Step of The Wind
    -Gloves of Greater Arrow Deflection - If the Monk is within 5 feet of an ally, they can deflect missile weapons aimed at the ally as well as themselves per the deflect arrow class feature

I think my monks would have been most excited by the gloves.
    I love these. I agree I'd be most excited about the gloves.

I love Step of the Wind thematically, but its opportunity cost has always felt too high to me, costing both a Bonus Action and a Ki point. Monks are the class most reliant on their bonus action for damage, so just the Bonus Action itself seems like plenty of opportunity cost. Particularly since this feature comes at the same level as a Rogue's Cunning Action, it's always felt disappointing to me that the Monk's version offers one less action choice and a resource cost.

The ability to share it makes it better. I'd still be tempted to do something like:

Lightfoot Treads: While wearing these sandals, you are permanently under the effect of Step of the Wind. Your jump distance is doubled, and you may take the Dash or Disengage action as a Bonus Action. As a reaction on an ally's turn, you may spend 1 Ki point to extend this effect to that ally for their current turn.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    I love Step of the Wind thematically, but its opportunity cost has always felt too high to me, costing both a Bonus Action and a Ki point. Monks are the class most reliant on their bonus action for damage, so just the Bonus Action itself seems like plenty of opportunity cost. Particularly since this feature comes at the same level as a Rogue's Cunning Action, it's always felt disappointing to me that the Monk's version offers one less action choice and a resource cost.

The ability to share it makes it better. I'd still be tempted to do something like:
    My intent on the Armband is that I use a reaction on another players turn and spend 1 Ki. That person then has the ability to Dash, Disengage, or Dodge as their bonus action. It's expensive, but giving the squishy the chance to disengage as a bonus action then dash as an action could be life saving
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    This I like a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNibbler View Post
    Cloak of Evasion: Whenever an ally within 15 feet is required to make a Dex save for an effect that would trigger the Evasion ability of the monk, the monk can use his reaction to move to the ally and spread cloak over both of them, allowing the ally to share the monk’s Evasion ability with the Monk’s dexterity check. The wearer can use this ability once per short rest.
    Nice.

Lightfoot Treads: While wearing these sandals, you are permanently under the effect of Step of the Wind. Your jump distance is doubled, and you may take the Dash or Disengage action as a Bonus Action. As a reaction on an ally's turn, you may spend 1 Ki point to extend this effect to that ally for their current turn.
    nice also.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I came to the following:

Warhorn
    Requires Attunement.
    Once per short rest
    Call to arms: part of movement action. One creature that can hear you is marked by this effect. Each successful attack against this creature gives advantage on the next attack by you or an ally. This effect lasts until the start of your next round.

Sunshield
    Requires Attunement
    Once per short rest
    I’m here: you can use your reaction to dimension door 15’ without provoking an opportunity attack. You can use the features granted by the Protection fighting style, if you have it, as part of this reaction.

Cloth Blindfold
    Requires Attunement
    Once per short rest
    Trust me: You can let an ally share you stealth roll by using this piece of Cloth to blindfold him. Your ally uses your stealth roll to resolve stealth checks. Your ally is effectively blind. This effect last for one minute or until the blindfold is removed. Removing the Blindfold is a free action.

Bracers
    Requires Attunement
    Once per short rest
    Oh no you don’t: For one round all your ranged attacks which hit push back opponents as if they were shoved. In addition to doing damage. You use the result of your attack roll which is contested by a strength (Athletics) or dexterity(acrobatics) roll. You can choose to push the target back 5” or knock it prone.

Shadow Cloak
    Requires Attunement
    Once per short rest
    Under my wings: You can use your reaction to share your Deflect Missiles or Evasion ability with an ally within 15”. You have advantage on your role to resolve the action. You and your ally both share the result.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Perhaps:

Dagger of Interception

As a reaction if an enemy is hit by a ranged weapon attack, you can make a thrown attack with the dagger. If your result for the attack roll is greater than the opponents attack roll, the dagger knocks the weapon out of the air or pushes it off course enough to protect your ally.

Probably should come with charges perhaps? It does also mean that they must retrieve the thrown dagger.

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

An aura within which all friendly creatures benefit from the stillness of mind feature as long as the monk isn't frightened/charmed/incapacitated?

Better yet: the stillness of mind feature now applies to any friendly creature within range that can see you.
    Last edited by Lombra; 2018-06-21 at 04:56 AM.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.