New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Re: Q477 Considering how long and elaborate your post is and also considering how contentious the hiding rules are based on very long existing threads in this forum, I posit this is not a simple RAW question and so you should probably post this as its own thread.
    I can do that but is there no part of it that is simple RAW? The later items seem more complicated but the beginning seems like it should be pretty simple (maybe I'm naive on that).

Hoping these are all simple RAW as revised here:

WHAT IS THE MECHANIC FOR HIDING IN COMBAT?

477(a) When the Halfing hides and is in position to get cover from the Paladin, am I supposed to use the stealth roll of the Halfing in a contest versus a perception check of the enemy or use the passive perception of the enemy? With expertise in stealth, it is super easy for the Halfing to beat an enemy's passive perception. I assume that for opponents where the Paladin does not provide cover that the Halfing can't hide.

Example: Hallway with X = Walls, E1 = Enemy 1, P = Paladin, H = Halfing, E2 = Enemy 2

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    E3 ------ E1 ------ P H ----------- E2
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So contest with H's stealth versus E1 perception and E3 perception and no contest with E2 because there is no concealment from E2? Contest of stealth roll versus passive perception for E1 and E3?

WHAT IS THE MECHANIC FOR ATTACKS WHEN HIDDEN?

477(b) If the Halfing successfully hides, will he as a general rule get advantage on attacks against any target from which he is hidden (acknowledging the DM has to factor in normal scenarios where disadvantage might cancel out with that advantage like an opponent with Blur or firing a ranged weapon within 5 feet of an opponent)?

HOW CAN A HIDDEN PERSON BE TARGETED?

477(c) If the Halfing successfully hides, can he be targeted by E1 or E3 by any melee or ranged attack non-spell attack? (Is this disadvantage like against an invisible target or not possible to even be attempted?)

477(d) For spells, do spells with an attack roll function like melee attacks (like Firebolt or Witch Bolt)? Can he be targeted by E1 or E3 by spells without an attack roll (like Hold Person)? Does this depend on whether the spell calls out a need to see the target? (I.e., hold person says a target you can "see" but firebolt just says a creature "within range")

Would very much appreciate the feedback if any of these are suitable for RAW.
    Last edited by AHF; 2018-02-20 at 02:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

A 477

The rules are not actually clear in the writing and it is a source of much debate in the forum. This is deserving of its own thread and in the past arguements over what the hiding rules are have reached pages in the double digits. Unfortunately this is just a matter of rules interpretation and RAI as it is RAW, so I agree with Dalebert on this one. Each DM I have had handled stealth and hiding differently. I would advise that you make your own thread for it.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    A 477

The rules are not actually clear in the writing and it is a source of much debate in the forum. This is deserving of its own thread and in the past arguements over what the hiding rules are have reached pages in the double digits. Unfortunately this is just a matter of rules interpretation and RAI as it is RAW, so I agree with Dalebert on this one. Each DM I have had handled stealth and hiding differently. I would advise that you make your own thread for it.
    Done. Definitely would welcome your thoughts on the best way to run this. Haven't had the benefit of the multiple tables and approaches that you've seen. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q478 So... My drow monk just got bitten by a wererat and now has contracted lycanthropy from it. Two parts

a) What do I get if the DM still allows me to play this character?

b) Some stupid thought I had with a few friends, but in same encounter, our Yuan-Ti Sorcerer charmed a Weretiger in joining our side. If I were to be bitten by the weretiger, would its Lycanthropy override the Wererats, mix in with it, or have no effect?

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q479:is there supplemented raw data regarding the item in ToA, soulmonger?

I found the camp raw data to be less then satisfying regarding the potential use of the item and whether there is an inherent evilness associated with it like blood ritual.

And yes I understand the curse and how a BBEG is using it but I feel it could have other applications if I had more info
    Last edited by Boxybrown; 2018-02-22 at 03:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 480: Where can I find a definition on the game term 'creature'?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q: 481

I have a triceratops for a mount. Movement 50ft, it has the charge ability feature that says it must move 20 feet in a straight line to make the attack. Could i say back up the 20ft and then charge in a straight line to use this or is that against some rule somewhere?

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Davrix View Post
    Q: 481

I have a triceratops for a mount. Movement 50ft, it has the charge ability feature that says it must move 20 feet in a straight line to make the attack. Could i say back up the 20ft and then charge in a straight line to use this or is that against some rule somewhere?
    A: 481 That's fine. If you're in melee, you'll eat an opportunity attack, but that's about it.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q: 482

How does double double work? If a rogue who successfully uses deathstrike also has the bonus from “path to the grave” active, would the target take 3x or 4x damage?

10. - Top - End - #1180

Goblin

Q:483 If I cast the catapult spell (Elemental Evil PC) and choose a weapon to throw, say a light hammer, would the target take weapon damage in addition to the 3d8 bludgeoning from the spell? Where can I find info on determining if the weapon survives the damage that it takes from the spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q484

Very new player trying to understand the exact mechanics of Primal Savagery (Druid cantrip).

You channel primal magic to cause your teeth or fingernails to sharpen, ready to deliver a corrosive attack. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 acid damage. After you make the attack, your teeth or fingernails return to normal.
    a) When it says "make a melee spell attack...", does this mean that I cast the spell (1 action) and then choose a weapon (ie. Quarterstaff), or is this melee attack just fingers or teeth?
    b) If it is just fingers and teeth, what do modifiers do I get? Is this the same as an unarmed attack?
    Last edited by Kaibis; 2018-02-25 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fixing Q#

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q485

How do I determine the DC that the creature needs to make (for the con save) in a spell like Frostbite?

Am I just blind, or is this something experienced players just know?

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibis View Post
    Q484

Very new player trying to understand the exact mechanics of Primal Savagery (Druid cantrip).

a) When it says "make a melee spell attack...", does this mean that I cast the spell (1 action) and then choose a weapon (ie. Quarterstaff), or is this melee attack just fingers or teeth?
    b) If it is just fingers and teeth, what do modifiers do I get? Is this the same as an unarmed attack?
    A484:When it says "Make a melee spell attack" it's telling you that as part of casting you make a melee attack using the appropriate casting stat (in this case almost certainly wisdom). So you make an attack with a bonus equal to proficiency + casting stat bonus. This is with fingers and/or teeth, because that's how the spell description describes it. You deal 1d10 acid damage on a successful hit, adding no damage modifiers (unless you're separately getting the ability to do that from a class feature but I'm trying to not complicate this).

Q485

How do I determine the DC that the creature needs to make (for the con save) in a spell like Frostbite?

A485:The save DC is always the save DC of the class (or other feature) that granted the character access to the spell. This number will always be equal to 8 + proficiency + casting stat bonus.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2018-02-25 at 11:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Q:483 If I cast the catapult spell (Elemental Evil PC) and choose a weapon to throw, say a light hammer, would the target take weapon damage in addition to the 3d8 bludgeoning from the spell? Where can I find info on determining if the weapon survives the damage that it takes from the spell?
    A483: FYI, Catapult spell also appears in Xanathar's Guide to Everything and it's probably wise to look from there if the wording has changed, as I believe a printed sourcebook is more relevant for rules as written than a "pdf only" document.

Either way, the spell tells you how much damage the target takes. The object used is inconsequential. Even if it's a weapon. I'm AFB, but I don't recall if Catapult also damages the object used.

Also, AFAIK, there is no RAW to determine how much damage objects can withstand, so that is up to your DM.
    My advice would be to just ignore it. It's a spell. Magic does all sorts of wondrous things. Surely it can protect the flung object from damage as well.

Q485

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    A485:The save DC is always the save DC of the class (or other feature) that granted the character access to the spell. This number will always be equal to 8 + proficiency + casting stat bonus.
    R485: Clarification for future reference.

Class features, such as Spellcasting, describe your individual DC's for abilities you have from your class. If you have multiple classes, each class names their own ability modifier if necessary, but the end result always follows the same pattern, as explained by Flashy:
    8 + proficiency bonus + ability modifier.

Pay a close attention when reading what your class does.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-02-26 at 06:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q486 Does Enlarge/Reduce give targets (dis)advantage on attack rolls made with strength weapons?

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSandbag View Post
    Q486 Does Enlarge/Reduce give targets (dis)advantage on attack rolls made with strength weapons?
    A486 No. Spells and rules will tell you whether they impose dis-/advantage or not. You have dis-/advantage only on Strength checks and Strength saving throws. Attack rolls are neither. You will, however, deal 1d4 extra or 1d4 less damage with your weapons while Enlarged or Reduced, respectively.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-02-27 at 11:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q487: For a PC who does not have the Dual Wielder feat or the Two-Weapon Fighting Style, is there any advantage at all to carrying a second copy of a weapon in your off hand? For example, will a Level 6 Barbarian with two longswords fight any differently than a Level 6 Barbarian with one longsword?

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

A487

I mean, yes, you can't use two longswords at once without the Dual Wielder feat, however, if you ever find yourself disarmed with your current longsword, you have the other as a backup weapon, this was actually practiced a lot during medieval times, in case your weapon broke or rusted, or was stolen, you had a backup one, also works if it gets destroyed by a rust monster or a spell.
    Other than that no mechanical benefit.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q #488

What book is the Tempest domain cleric from?
    I don't always level dip, but when I do, I dip into commoner.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Matrota View Post
    Q #488

What book is the Tempest domain cleric from?
    A488: The PHB.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Q 489:

Can a lizardman hexblade use CHA for their bite attack, via their HEX WARRIOR ability?

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q #490
    Does copying a spell of your own school take only 30 minutes & 5 gold?
    Or does Savant ability of the 8 schools of magic only apply when you first learn a spell?

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    Q 489:

Can a lizardman hexblade use CHA for their bite attack, via their HEX WARRIOR ability?
    I think the answer is no. That bite is technically unarmed strike (iirc), which doesn't exactly qualify as a "weapon". This may feel deeply pedantic, but being pedantic is relevant in reading the RAW.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-02 at 02:55 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #1194

PaladinGuy

Q 491: I'm a Warlock 5 / Sorceror 2. I can convert a 3rd-level Pact Magic slot into 5 Spell Points. Nothing prevents me from cashing those in for a 1st level slot and a 2nd level slot, despite the fact that as a Sorceror 2 I only prepare 1st level slots. Right?
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q 491: I'm a Warlock 5 / Sorceror 2. I can convert a 3rd-level Pact Magic slot into 5 Spell Points. Nothing prevents me from cashing those in for a 1st level slot and a 2nd level slot, despite the fact that as a Sorceror 2 I only prepare 1st level slots. Right?
    A 491:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB (Sorcery Points), p. 101
    You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level.
    While nothing prevents you from converting a 3rd-level pact magic slot into sorcery points, as a 2nd level sorcerer, excess points (3) are immediately lost when the spell slot is converted. That also covers indirectly to the second part: No, you can't create a 1st-level slot and a 2nd-level slot, because you don't have enough sorcery points to do that.

Besides, it takes one Bonus Action to convert a Spell Slot into Sorcery Points, and another Bonus Action to use Sorcery Points to create Spell Slot(s), so you can't do the conversion from Pact Magic slot to Sorcery Points to Spell Slot(s) in one round.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-02 at 05:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q 480: Where can I find a definition on the game term 'creature'?
    A 480: I don't have the MM and can't check, but it apparently contains a list of what counts as a creature.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 492
    Is there any way to get advantage on all rolls for thieves tools or a painters kit? Its less so that I care about higher rolls as with a current +16 very few locks stop me, but my dm rules that a nat 1 on a thieves tools roll breaks my tools entirely. I'm worried that he'll do something similar for my painters tools, despite my character having been painting under the tutor of his father his entire life. It seems weird to me that no matter how good you get, still one in twenty rolls on average will break your tools

Also rogues get that any roll less than 10 is treated as a 10 down the line in their expert skills (maybe proficient skills too I can't remember) would this "negate" a natural one, or be considered like a bonus added to the roll
    Last edited by SmoothAsFelt; 2018-03-03 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Bold

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 492
    Receiving help on your check is one option for advantage, though the DM may restrict who can help you. Another option would be a casting of Enhance Ability to give you advantage on the ability check most relevant to your tool use.

Not quite the answer to your question, but the mending cantrip could probably fix your theives' tools if they break.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A 492
    Receiving help on your check is one option for advantage, though the DM may restrict who can help you. Another option would be a casting of Enhance Ability to give you advantage on the ability check most relevant to your tool use.

Not quite the answer to your question, but the mending cantrip could probably fix your theives' tools if they break.
    Ah enhance ability and the help action thank you friend that works perfectly for the time being. One in 400 locks breaking my tools is much better than one in 20

30. - Top - End - #1200

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elysiume View Post
    A 480: I don't have the MM and can't check, but it apparently contains a list of what counts as a creature.
    R480: http://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/monsters-foes