Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1411
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q578: If you grapple a target, you can drag them with you at half your move speed (I think). But they don't enter your square; they stay beside you. Can you pivot as you drag them, even though if you count the number of squares they pass through, they end up moving faster than you? If not, how do you drag them through doors etc. if not perfectly aligned already?

In other words, can you go from this

O-->X
    [ ]

to this?

X
    |
    [ ]
    A578 The RAW for grappling state nothing about any movement penalties other than your own 1/2 speed. Therefore pivoting costs nothing.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Q579:
    Let’s say I’m a lvl 2 warlock with Beguiling Influence eldrich invocation (giving me proficiency in decepcion and persuasion) and i pick up a lvl in rogue.
    Can I put experties on decepcion/persuasion if The only source of proficiency is from the warlock invovation?
    If yes, can I later swap out the eldrich invocation?
    Last edited by Lacka; 2018-05-10 at 01:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1413

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lacka View Post
    Q579:
    Let’s say I’m a lvl 2 warlock with Beguiling Influence eldrich invocation (giving me proficiency in decepcion and persuasion) and i pick up a lvl in rogue.
    Can I put experties on decepcion/persuasion if The only source of proficiency is from the warlock invovation?
    If yes, can I later swap out the eldrich invocation?
    A579 Yes you can put expertise on a sklll learned via the Eldritch Invocation, but if you later swap out that Eldritch Invocation and lose the skill you gained Expertise on you lose that skill and the Expertise that went with it.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Orc in the Playground

Q580: If you're concentrating on a spell and take damage from a source that deals two different types of damage, do you make a separate Con save to maintain concentration for each damage type, or a single save for the total damage taken?

For instance, if you were in the AoE of Ice Storm and took 8 bludgeoning and 14 cold damage, would you make 2 DC 10 Con saves, or one DC 11 Con save?

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    Q580: If you're concentrating on a spell and take damage from a source that deals two different types of damage, do you make a separate Con save to maintain concentration for each damage type, or a single save for the total damage taken?

For instance, if you were in the AoE of Ice Storm and took 8 bludgeoning and 14 cold damage, would you make 2 DC 10 Con saves, or one DC 11 Con save?
    A580 You make one DC MAX(10, total damage/2) save for each source of damage. That's generally interpreted as anything that requires a separate roll (attack or save) to take effect.

So Ice Storm would only be a single source of damage, despite having multiple damage types. Scorching Ray (if hit with multiple beams) would count as multiple sources of damage.

Edge case: magic missile is (I believe) only a single source of damage because you (by RAI) only roll 1d4 + 1. YMMV, not valid under all DMs, check your DM for clarification.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q581

Is a shield considered armor? For the forge clerics “blessing of the forge” ability, could I pick my shield?

And on a related note, if I picked Shield Master as a feat, would I get the “blessed” shield bonus to my dex save?

7. - Top - End - #1417

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q581

Is a shield considered armor? For the forge clerics “blessing of the forge” ability, could I pick my shield?

And on a related note, if I picked Shield Master as a feat, would I get the “blessed” shield bonus to my dex save?
    A581 A shield is considered Armor. No, you cannot use it for “Blessing of the Forge” as that feature specifically says, “…a suit of armor or…” so a shield seems intentionally excluded.

The Shield Master feat only says that you add your shield’s AC bonus, and doesn't exclude any additional magical bonus, so that adds to your AC as well.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

q 582 Do multiple hits of eldritch blast apply repelling blast multiple times?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #1419

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    q 582 Do multiple hits of eldritch blast apply repelling blast multiple times?
    A582 Yes! Each blast that hits repels the target up to 10' for each blast.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-05-16 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Clarity.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q583 Hex spell: can you just give a target the disadvantage w/o attacking or causing damage? If so, it would make a nice RP spell...

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q583 Hex spell: can you just give a target the disadvantage w/o attacking or causing damage? If so, it would make a nice RP spell...
    A 583: The Hex spell gives you both effects, the disadvantage and the extra damage. You cannot cast the spell and have only one of the effects, if that's what you mean. But nothing in the wording of the spell forces you to attack the target.

So yes, you can use it in and out of combat just to give a disadvantage to the target, to help your barbarian with his grapple or to hinder the target's capabilities in social situations by targeting his Charisma, or making her unable to discern lies by targeting her Wisdom.

Remember however that the spell has somatic and verbal components.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2018-05-17 at 07:19 AM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protčgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q584

How do material spell components with associated gold costs work? Do you use that amount of gold every time you want to cast the spell, or must you have purchased or acquired the component before you can cast it? I've noticed that some spells say "the material is consumed" and some don't. For those that aren't consumed, can you just hold onto the same 50gp diamond or whatever and use it to cast the spell multiple times?

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by TheCleverGuy View Post
    Q584

How do material spell components with associated gold costs work? Do you use that amount of gold every time you want to cast the spell, or must you have purchased or acquired the component before you can cast it? I've noticed that some spells say "the material is consumed" and some don't. For those that aren't consumed, can you just hold onto the same 50gp diamond or whatever and use it to cast the spell multiple times?
    A584

The first question only has "ask your DM" as the answer. There is no RAW. I've seen DMs on both sides.

For the second, yes. If it doesn't say it's consumed, it's not. Example: chromatic orb or identify have non-consumed, costly components.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    A 583: Remember however that the spell has somatic and verbal components.
    ok, what if I'm just choosing a new target as a bonus action, is that 'detectable'?

15. - Top - End - #1425

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    ok, what if I'm just choosing a new target as a bonus action, is that 'detectable'?
    R583 Nope! Once you've cast the Hex the spell description doesn't say using your bonus action to move it causes any sort of effect that others can see.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-05-17 at 03:02 PM. Reason: A wurd...

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q585 What happens if somebody tries to attune to a magic item that is already attuned to somebody else. I know that only one person can be attuned to an item at a time, but will the new person overwrite the attunement or is it stuck on the attuned character until un-attuned.
    Last edited by Lord8Ball; 2018-05-21 at 01:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1427

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord8Ball View Post
    What happens if somebody tries to attune to a magic item that is already attuned to somebody else. I know that only one person can be attuned to an item at a time, but will the new person overwrite the attunement or is it stuck on the attuned character until un-attuned.
    Please remember to number your question(s).

A585: From The DMG, “A creature’s attunement to an item ends if the creature no longer satisfies the prerequisites for attunement, if the item has been more than 100 feet away for at least 24 hours, if the creature dies, or if another creature attunes to the item.“ (Emphasis mine)
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-05-21 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Formatting

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Q586: The spell Invulnerability from XGtE (pg. 160), states you are immune to all damage, and is Concentration for up to 1 minute. Do you make DC 10 Concentration checks when attacked, or does the spell only fail with the other external examples (getting knocked over by wave if I recall the example correctly), or losing the spell when casting another Concentration spell?

19. - Top - End - #1429

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Q586: The spell Invulnerability from XGtE (pg. 160), states you are immune to all damage, and is Concentration for up to 1 minute. Do you make DC 10 Concentration checks when attacked, or does the spell only fail with the other external examples (getting knocked over by wave if I recall the example correctly), or losing the spell when casting another Concentration spell?
    A586: The rule states, “Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration.” Since you don’t take damage you don’t need to make a concentration check.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-05-21 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Formatting

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 587

Is the Grunt playable race considered official?

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Q 587

Is the Grunt playable race considered official?
    A 587. No. It does not appear in any published book.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Apologies if this has been asked, but a player of mine and I disagreed so I'm asking:

Q 588
    Does the 2nd level conjuration spell Flaming Sphere in any way inhibit a creature's movement through the square that the sphere occupies?

The player insisted that since the sphere could "ram" into a creature and then it had to stop moving, that implied that the sphere had an impassable physical presence.

I explained that my reading of it was that, in order to maintain control of the hollow sphere that is purely flames, it had to stop moving when it hit something.

Wiser/other minds input?

23. - Top - End - #1433

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImthebOHGODBEES View Post
    Apologies if this has been asked, but a player of mine and I disagreed so I'm asking:

Q 588
    Does the 2nd level conjuration spell Flaming Sphere in any way inhibit a creature's movement through the square that the sphere occupies?

The player insisted that since the sphere could "ram" into a creature and then it had to stop moving, that implied that the sphere had an impassable physical presence.

I explained that my reading of it was that, in order to maintain control of the hollow sphere that is purely flames, it had to stop moving when it hit something.

Wiser/other minds input?
    A588: The spells description says nothing about there being a solid object within the “5-foot-diameter sphere of fire” that is created. “Fire” is not solid and “sphere” is just a shape.

It also says nothing about it being able to float in the air. So you create the sphere upon casting and if it’s not already on the ground it falls. You can then move it, even up a wall, and jump it over a gap of up to ten feet. All the while igniting anything and everything that’s flammable, but not being worn or carried.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-05-23 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Typo

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImthebOHGODBEES View Post
    Q 588
    A 588 Continuation

This Sage Advice confirms E’Tallitnics' answer. As odd as it seems, by RAW, you can pass through the sphere without taking damage.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Pixie in the Playground

A newbie question about the ability stats provided for pregenerated characters downloaded from dnd.wizards.com. Do they already include racial bonuses?

26. - Top - End - #1436

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dcam View Post
    A newbie question about the ability stats provided for pregenerated characters downloaded from dnd.wizards.com. Do they already include racial bonuses?
    Please remember to number your questions.

A589: Yes the pre-generated character sheets from WotC should be built using the standard array and include the racial bonuses.

Note that this isn’t a Rules As Written question. If you’ve found any errors please report them directly to WotC Customer Support (wizards.custhelp.com). Or if you’d like to discuss any aspect of the pre-generated characters please start a new thread in the 5e/Next forum.

27. - Top - End - #1437

PaladinGuy

Q589

Regarding Sentinel; the first ability says when you have an OPPORTUNITY attack and hit, the targets move becomes 0 until end of turn.

The 3rd ability says a creature attacks another PC (other than you), you can make a reaction to hit the creature.

Is a REACTION the same as OPPORTUNITY Attack?
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    Q589

Regarding Sentinel; the first ability says when you have an OPPORTUNITY attack and hit, the targets move becomes 0 until end of turn.

The 3rd ability says a creature attacks another PC (other than you), you can make a reaction to hit the creature.

Is a REACTION the same as OPPORTUNITY Attack?
    A589: Almost.

An Attack of Opportunity uses your Reaction; with the Sentinel feat you have additional options relating to those attacks outside the usual rule (and other benefits).

You only get one Reaction a round; so if you use it to stop someone with option 1, you cannot use it again if the conditions for option 3 comes up in the same round.

29. - Top - End - #1439

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A589: Almost.

An Attack of Opportunity uses your Reaction; with the Sentinel feat you have additional options relating to those attacks outside the usual rule (and other benefits).

You only get one Reaction a round; so if you use it to stop someone with option 1, you cannot use it again if the conditions for option 3 comes up in the same round.
    F598 (followup)

For the 3rd ability: a creature attacks another PC (other than you), you can make a reaction to hit the creature.

Does a Reaction also mean attack of opportunity? So when I use an Attack of Opportunity, can I trigger ability 3?

Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    F598 (followup)

For the 3rd ability: a creature attacks another PC (other than you), you can make a reaction to hit the creature.

Does a Reaction also mean attack of opportunity? So when I use an Attack of Opportunity, can I trigger ability 3?

No. The Reaction Attack you use does not drop the target's speed to 0. Only an Attack of Opportunity does that, which has specific triggers. If something else is an AoO, it will say it's an AoO specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text