Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1261
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibis View Post
    Q516

I am playing an Aasimar. When it uses Radiant Soul to gain 1minute of flight - does this allow hovering?

I.e. Last night I flew out over a balcony, and then attack a mob that was on the balcony. I hovered there for two rounds attacking it, before landing.

Is this the correct use of the flight? I feel like I read something somewhere about not being able to hover. Is this hovering?
    A516: Hovering would be staying in place without flapping your wings. What you did was to stay in place by flapping your wings, which is a thing you can do.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q517: A rogue attacks a dodging ogre from hiding. The rogue has both advantage and disadvantage. Does the rogue get to sneak attack?

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dreast View Post
    Q517: A rogue attacks a dodging ogre from hiding. The rogue has both advantage and disadvantage. Does the rogue get to sneak attack?
    A517: I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that purely because the rogue is subjected to the disadvantage, regardless of whether it affects him/her, the rogue doesn't get sneak attack.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-22 at 08:42 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #1264

BarbarianGuy

R517: “You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.”

It doesn’t matter where it comes from or why. Any disadvantage on the roll disables Sneak Attack.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A517: I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that purely because the rogue is subjected to the disadvantage, regardless of whether it affects him/her, the rogue doesn't get sneak attack.
    You're mistaken here. Any roll that would have both advantage AND disadvantage instead has NEITHER and just resolves the roll normally (on 1d20).

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    You're mistaken here. Any roll that would have both advantage AND disadvantage instead has NEITHER and just resolves the roll normally (on 1d20).
    The problem is that people think that while the roll is resolved with 1d20, the advantage and disadvantage flags are still raised for the purpose of features like Sneak Attack. I have no idea where that idea comes from. The PHB seems very clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p173
    If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them, and you roll one d20. This is true even if multiple circumstances impose disadvantage and only one grants advantage or vice versa. In such a situation, you have neither advantage nor disadvantage.
    Advantage and disadvantage cancel each other fully.

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R517: “You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.”

It doesn’t matter where it comes from or why. Any disadvantage on the roll disables Sneak Attack.
    If the rogue had another enemy of the target within 5 feet of it, the rogue could get the benefits of Sneak Attack.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    The problem is that people think that while the roll is resolved with 1d20, the advantage and disadvantage flags are still raised for the purpose of features like Sneak Attack. I have no idea where that idea comes from. The PHB seems very clear. Advantage and disadvantage cancel each other fully.

If the rogue had another enemy of the target within 5 feet of it, the rogue could get the benefits of Sneak Attack.
    I got the right answer for the wrong reasons then. Follow up: do you need to be able to see an opponent for the dodge action to apply? Should the rogue still have advantage when attacking from hiding because the ogre didn’t perceive her?

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ettin in the Playground

I got the right answer for the wrong reasons then. Follow up: do you need to be able to see an opponent for the dodge action to apply? Should the rogue still have advantage when attacking from hiding because the ogre didn’t perceive her?
    Yes, you do need to be able to see an opponent, at least regarding attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p192, Actions in Combat, Dodge
    When you take the Dodge action, you focus entirely on avoiding attacks. Until the start of your next turn, any attack roll made against you has disadvantage if you can see the attacker, and you make Dexterity saving throws with advantage. You lose this benefit if you are incapacitated (as explained in appendix A) or if your speed drops to 0.
    So your rogue should have advantage and benefit from Sneak Attack after all. I didn't think about that.

However, be wary that the whole concept of "attacking from hiding" is very DM dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p177, Hiding
    In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you. However, under certain circumstances, the Dungeon Master might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted, allowing you to gain advantage on an attack before you are seen.
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2018-03-23 at 10:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q511 If I could get an answer on this one, please and thank you.

10. - Top - End - #1270

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q511 can you hide from a creature with tremorsense? Blindsight?
    A511: Yes.

Blindsight lets you spot an invisible creature in range, but that creature can still try to hide behind something with Stealth.
    Cite
    BUT, it should be noted that a creature with either still knows where you are, and can thus move into position to "see" you (assuming you are touching the ground verse tremorsense) when it is their turn.

It is kind of similar to when a rogue attacks someone and hides behind a column. The enemy can't see them readily, and the rogue is hidden- until the enemy (who watched the rogue hide behind a column) can move to a position which negates the rogues stealthy mojo.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Q512: As a rogue2 can I take a Dash action and a Dash bonus action on my turn for 3xspeed movement?
    (Trying to make a funny movespeed build and this would totaly break realism (woodelf + barb5 + scout9 + mobile = 65 feet))

Thanks,

Lacka

12. - Top - End - #1272

Quote Originally Posted by Lacka View Post
    Q518: As a rogue2 can I take a Dash action and a Dash bonus action on my turn for 3xspeed movement?
    (Trying to make a funny movespeed build and this would totaly break realism (woodelf + barb5 + scout9 + mobile = 65 feet))

Thanks,

Lacka
    A518: A second level rogue can indeed dash (action), dash (bonus), move. Vroom-vroom!

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q519 A fog cloud spell goes up. Do creatures with blindsight/tremorsense still have disadvantage on attacks?

14. - Top - End - #1274

RedWizardGuy

Q520. A druid and fighter attacks an enemy. The druid wild shape into a bear and moves and multi attack. What happens if the fighter mounts onto the bear before attacking? If the druid allows it, what happens? Are there any requirements or restrictions to this?

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

Q519 A fog cloud spell goes up. Do creatures with blindsight/tremorsense still have disadvantage on attacks?
    A519 You conflate blindsight and tremorsense here, but the answers are different for each.

The whole point of blindsight is that it ignores effects that obscure vision. It allows creatures to "see" targets even if they would otherwise be obscured from view. So they would not have disadvantage on attacks (since that disadvantage comes from the "heavily obscured" condition of fog cloud).

Tremorsense allows a creature to "pinpoint the location" of another creature. That means nothing more than knowing what square the other creature is in. It does not affect hiding or attacking or any other conditions that affect same. Normally, you would have to guess where a creature was inside a fog cloud, or use senses other than sight (which would usually entail a check). But even if you guess right, you still have disadvantage on attacks because you can't see him/her/it. Creatures with tremorsense automatically know where the other creature is, but likewise they still have disadvantage on attacks (unless they also have blindsight).

Powers &8^]

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A519 If someone is in a fog cloud, I can attack them and cast most spells at them, without any extra sense. Blightsight would take away the disadvantage.
    Q521How does tremorsense help mechanically in this example? If it doesn't, what would be an example where tremorsense would help?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-03-29 at 03:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Question 522: Does flaming sphere do damage during the appearance phase of it's creation? For clarification does it do damage during the action portion of the spell.

18. - Top - End - #1278

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by th3g0dc0mp13x View Post
    Question 522: Does flaming sphere do damage during the appearance phase of it's creation? For clarification does it do damage during the action portion of the spell.
    A522: Your action casts the spell and the sphere appears. That same round, and every subsequent round for the duration, you can use a bonus action to move the sphere and/or attack with it. Once you attack with it the sphere can no longer move that turn.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-03-29 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

A519 If someone is in a fog cloud, I can attack them and cast most spells at them, without any extra sense. Blightsight would take away the disadvantage.
    Q521How does tremorsense help mechanically in this example? If it doesn't, what would be an example where tremorsense would help?
    A521

Tremorsense allows you to know where a target is within the fog cloud. Without tremorsense, you may have to guess, or deduce the target's location through non-visual means. If you guess wrong, you cannot hit the target no matter what you roll.

But even with tremorsense, you still have disadvantage on an attack because you can't see the target. Only blindsight negates that.

Powers &8^]

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A521

Tremorsense allows you to know where a target is within the fog cloud. Without tremorsense, you may have to guess, or deduce the target's location through non-visual means. If you guess wrong, you cannot hit the target no matter what you roll

Powers &8^]
    This sounds like RAI and not RAW. Which is fine, but I feel like In RAW, if there's heavy obscurement you still know where they are and can attack them and cast most spells at them. The rules don't say anything about having to make a check or somethin in order to locate them, which means tremorsense really does nothing.....
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-03-31 at 04:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q523
    Can a creature move through the square occupied by a flaming sphere, if they do is there any effect on them from the sphere.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q524

Does someone who has been doused with oil via an oil flask take five extra damage every time they take fire damage for the full one minute duration of the flask, or are they no longer considered doused once they have taken their first instance of fire damage?
    Last edited by banthafett; 2018-03-30 at 02:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Q523
    Can a creature move through the square occupied by a flaming sphere, if they do is there any effect on them from the sphere.
    This came up during a game, and our conclusion was that there is no RAW means to push through or past a flaming sphere.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Q525:
    This might be more of an english grammar question but I can’t decide for myself:
    At 1st level, you learn two languages of your choice. You also become proficient in your choice of two of the following skills: Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those skills.
    (I copied it from the website but I’m prety sure the wording is almost exactly the same in the PHB.)
    If I have 2 proficincy when I get this and chose the other two do I get double prof. (Experties) for all or only the 2 new skill?
    From balance perspective the only 2 seams more real but then I would have used both in the wording.
    Sorry if this is too nitpicking for this thread but couldnt find a better place to post it!
    P.S.: I love this thread!

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lacka View Post
    Q525:
    This might be more of an english grammar question but I can’t decide for myself:

If I have 2 proficincy when I get this and chose the other two do I get double prof. (Experties) for all or only the 2 new skill?
    From balance perspective the only 2 seams more real but then I would have used both in the wording.
    Sorry if this is too nitpicking for this thread but couldnt find a better place to post it!
    A525:
    I don’t think there is such thing as too nitpicking for this thread. The word “either” indicates that the double proficiency is only meant to apply to two skills.
    Last edited by smcmike; 2018-04-02 at 04:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 526
    Just to be clear, is the cap on divine smite damage 5d8 total, or is it 2d8 plus a potential 5d8 additional damage? I'm pretty sure it's the first.

Also, is the extra damage to fiends and undead restricted by the 5d8 cap?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 526
    Just to be clear, is the cap on divine smite damage 5d8 total, or is it 2d8 plus a potential 5d8 additional damage? I'm pretty sure it's the first.

Also, is the extra damage to fiends and undead restricted by the 5d8 cap?
    A 526
    By spell slot alone, the cap is 5d8 (@4th level slot) but extra 1d8 vs fiends and undead is on top of that, as is the extra 1d8 from Improved Divine Smite (@11th level), so the actual potential maximum is 7d8 if the target is a fiend and/or undead (a creature that would be both doesn't get the extra twice, just be clear), if you have at least 11 levels in Paladin, and if you have access to 4th level slots.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-02 at 10:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Halfling in the Playground

Q527

Let's say a party succesfully sneaks up on a group of enemies, and the Ranger initiates combat with a longbow attack. Since the enemy is surprised, they do nothing on their turns during the first round (and cannot take reactions until after their first turn), while the party gets to perform actions as normal.

Should you treat the Ranger's longbow attack (i.e. the event that initiates combat) as A) an entirely separate event, or B) their action during the surprise round?

I.e. in the case of A) does the Ranger basically receive yet another "free attack" before their turn during the surprise round? Meanwhile, if B) is true, this would presumably be a full turn and the Ranger could also use Extra Attack, bonus actions, etc? Would this be the party's first turn regardless of initiative order, with the Ranger acting with normal initiative on subsequent turns?
    Last edited by Platypusbill; 2018-04-03 at 08:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Platypusbill View Post
    Q527

Let's say a party succesfully sneaks up on a group of enemies, and the Ranger initiates combat with a longbow attack. Since the enemy is surprised, they do nothing on their turns during the first round (and cannot take reactions until after their first turn), while the party gets to perform actions as normal.

Should you treat the Ranger's longbow attack (i.e. the event that initiates combat) as A) an entirely separate event, or B) their action during the surprise round?

I.e. in the case of A) does the Ranger basically receive yet another "free attack" before their turn during the surprise round? Meanwhile, if B) is true, this would presumably be a full turn and the Ranger could also use Extra Attack, bonus actions, etc? Would this be the party's first turn regardless of initiative order, with the Ranger acting with normal initiative on subsequent turns?
    A527:

The Ranger initiates combat not by firing but by saying "I'm going to fire my bow". At that point, the DM determines surprise and everyone rolls initiative. If the Ranger's party members beat his or her initiative, they may be able to attack before the Ranger does, even though he or she is the one who determined that combat was going to start.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-04-03 at 10:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1290

RedWizardGuy

Q528 is there a limit to how much equipment gets melded into a wild shape? Like how strange an object could you incorporate safely into your form?