New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Faerie dragon concept in need of some inspiration

I'm creating a level 20 character for a one-shot. Since the character will only be used once, the DM is pretty lenient and allowed me to play a Faerie Dragon created by Ninja Prawn. I will post a link below so everyone can see its abilities.

https://ibb.co/djnA5J

The ability scores I rolled are as follows (racial bonuses and penalty are already included in these scores):

STR: 13
    DEX: 18
    CON: 13
    WIS: 12
    INT: 10
    CHA: 18

I want to create a support character. It doesn't have to do damage, but I want lots of options. One build I was considering is Oath of the Ancients Paladin 7 / Lore Bard 10 / ? 3. This would give good support with its aura and I could take http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Circle_of_Power for more aura goodies. I can take counterspell obviously and maybe three level of sorcerer for meta magic.

The main question is whether you like the build and if so what would you change or do differently?
    If you do not like it, what other fun support build would you recommend?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Faerie dragon concept in need of some inspiration

I love the concept but I think 13 Str is way too high for a housecat sized character. I'd switch Str and Int

As awesome as the Paladin's auras are, it REALLY doesn't fit the concept IMO. Smites would be wasted unless you're going to do 1 slashing damage with your claw and then "Smite" with that which would be possible by RAW, but silly to think about.

I'd probably go full Lore Bard with MAYBE a few levels of Tome Warlock for extra cantrips, ritual casting, etc... and/or maybe a couple of Rogue levels for more expertise and Cunning Action.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The paladin does get access to some useful healing spells - it might be worth two levels of paladin just to be able to pick 5 of your choice every day. But in general I agree that paladin is going to be a tough gig for a faerie dragon.

Bard or warlock would be more sensible; the faerie dragon in my current game is a land druid, which also works out pretty well as a flexible support role.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I love the concept but I think 13 Str is way too high for a housecat sized character. I'd switch Str and Int

As awesome as the Paladin's auras are, it REALLY doesn't fit the concept IMO. Smites would be wasted unless you're going to do 1 slashing damage with your claw and then "Smite" with that which would be possible by RAW, but silly to think about.

I'd probably go full Lore Bard with MAYBE a few levels of Tome Warlock for extra cantrips, ritual casting, etc... and/or maybe a couple of Rogue levels for more expertise and Cunning Action.
    I didn't pick paladin for smites, I agree that would be a bit silly and I probably wouldn't use it. Full lore bard is one of the best support characters there is, but I wanted to try something more unusual. But I do agree that picking paladin just for its aura might be a waste. Going rogue could prove useful, but since I've already got expertise and I won't be sneak attacking, it will be mainly for cunning action. Warlock can be fun, but I'm not sure its worth the levels. Maybe for some side dps, but it doesn't really fit the concept of this character. Its a shame lore bard 18 is too good to pass up, otherwise I would have been tempted to do lore bard 17 / sorcerer 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    The paladin does get access to some useful healing spells - it might be worth two levels of paladin just to be able to pick 5 of your choice every day. But in general I agree that paladin is going to be a tough gig for a faerie dragon.

Bard or warlock would be more sensible; the faerie dragon in my current game is a land druid, which also works out pretty well as a flexible support role.
    I agree bard warlock is really strong, you do decent ranged damage consistently and you are good at support, but as I said in my reply to CTurbo, I don't see my character running around blasting stuff (just like I don't see him smiting). A land druid might be worth a look though, I haven't given it much thought. I will have a look at it today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Foxydono View Post
    I didn't pick paladin for smites, I agree that would be a bit silly and I probably wouldn't use it. Full lore bard is one of the best support characters there is, but I wanted to try something more unusual. But I do agree that picking paladin just for its aura might be a waste. Going rogue could prove useful, but since I've already got expertise and I won't be sneak attacking, it will be mainly for cunning action. Warlock can be fun, but I'm not sure its worth the levels. Maybe for some side dps, but it doesn't really fit the concept of this character. Its a shame lore bard 18 is too good to pass up, otherwise I would have been tempted to do lore bard 17 / sorcerer 3.

I agree bard warlock is really strong, you do decent ranged damage consistently and you are good at support, but as I said in my reply to CTurbo, I don't see my character running around blasting stuff (just like I don't see him smiting). A land druid might be worth a look though, I haven't given it much thought. I will have a look at it today!
    You could build a total non blasting Lore Bard/Tomelock Fey or GOO.

Tome is amazing for utility. You could also get a regular familiar! Lol

How hilarious would it be to go Chain lock and have a Psuedodragon familiar? Haha

Land Druid makes you MAD