New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

A329 You have disadvantage on attacks against a target that you can't see. You have advantage on attacks against a target that can't see you. It cancels out if neither of you can see the other. As for being aware of their general presence or precise location, that falls under the mechanics of perception, stealth and hiding, which are a very debated topic.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q#330
    The behir's swallow ability says that it must make a Constitution saving throw if it takes 30 or more damage on a single turn. Does this mean that a single character must damage it by 30 or more on their turn, or that it must accumulate 30 or more damage over the round?
    Last edited by Ronnocius; 2017-10-08 at 12:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnocius View Post
    Q#330
    The behir's swallow ability says that it must make a Constitution saving throw if it takes 30 or more damage on a single turn. Does this mean that a single character must damage it by 30 or more on their turn, or that it must accumulate 30 or more damage over the round?
    Q# 330

The Behir would have to take 30 damage on one creature's turn. However this does not imply that it has to be from a single character or a single attack. A character can make multiple attacks, dealing a total damage of 30+, or if a character has a readied action or a reaction attack, they can also do damage as part of another character's turn.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q# 331

Admittedly, this is probably a dumb question but are the Rogues & Bards Expertise tied to class level or character level? I'v assumed it's been class.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sightlessrealit View Post
    Q# 331

Admittedly, this is probably a dumb question but are the Rogues & Bards Expertise tied to class level or character level? I'v assumed it's been class.
    A#331. All class features (including ability score increases) are tied to class level unless otherwise noted. For example, spellcasting is partly an exception to this, but Expertise is not.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Q332

Am I affected by the Illusions I cast? Example: A gnome creates the Minor Illusion of a boulder, and stands inside the image. Can he see through it?
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2017-10-11 at 07:53 AM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Halfling in the Playground

Q333

I cannot seem to find a simple straight answer anywhere for this, which means either im searching in the wrong place , or its just common knowledge that i dont possess.

GFB with War Magic from EK

would it work as i think it does ?

GFB which lets me attack then i get the extra attack from War Magic, effectively making it a multi attack of 2 + GFB damage

is this correct ?
    Last edited by SaA; 2017-10-10 at 09:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by SaA View Post
    Q333

I cannot seem to find a simple straight answer anywhere for this, which means either im searching in the wrong place , or its just common knowledge that i dont possess.

GFB with War Magic from EK

would it work as i think it does ?

GFB which lets me attack then i get the extra attack from War Magic, effectively making it a multi attack of 2 + GFB damage

is this correct ?
    It lets you use greenflame blade which is a melee weapon attack with additional fire damage to an adjacent target (plus fire damage to your initial target once you hit level 5+) and then as a bonus action you can make a weapon attack as per war magic.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

9. - Top - End - #819
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q334
    What are the mechanics for gaining a cohort?
    The Player's Handbook says that a player can hire mercenary soldiers as "skilled hireling 2 GP per day" but how would a player entice the NPC to join them? I know in 3.5 you could use the Leadership skill check to gain cohorts but I can't find any rules in 5e about when you can or can't.

Thanks in advance.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Troll in the Playground

A 332 You are affected by your own illusions generally but you could see through it because you're physically interacting with it (touching it). If any other creatures saw you pass through the boulder, they would see through the illusion also.

Note: I said "generally" you are affected as well. There are exceptions. Phantasmal Force, for instance, is single target and even the caster can't see the illusion; only the target.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

A334

There are no mechanics for gaining a cohort. Hired mercs are just that -- dudes you find in a city and you pay to travel with you. They're not going to be very high level -- probably 3rd level at most. They'll take a share of the XP and may want a share of the loot on top of their daily pay.

If you really want a cohort, you'll have to let your DM know and do some RP for it.

Powers &8^]

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 336: Do a mount and rider share their space in combat?

Q 335: Is there anything in the mounted combat rules that bypasses the rule that another creature's space is difficult terrain?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

A 336: Yes.

A 335: No, though I believe you dismount into an adjacent space at the cost of half your movement. Since you're not moving, no difficult terrain penalty.

I suppose, though, you are considering the mount. If the mount moves through its rider's space (as it must always do), is that difficult terrain? Obviously RAI is not that a ridden mount always moves at half speed, so choose your RAW explanation: Either a) the space doesn't count as "owned" by the rider because the rider is mounted, or b) the space "belongs" to the mount as much as it does the rider, so it doesn't count as moving through "another creature"'s space.

Powers &8^]

14. - Top - End - #824
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q337 fighter precise attack maneuver: you roll a 12, you decide to use precise attack, rolling an 8 on your superiority die. Is that a critical hit?

15. - Top - End - #825
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q337 fighter precise attack maneuver: you roll a 12, you decide to use precise attack, rolling an 8 on your superiority die. Is that a critical hit?
    A337 No, because you didn't roll a 20 on the d20. The relevant rule is...

Quote Originally Posted by SRD "Rolling 1 or 20" Heading
    If the d20 roll for an attack is a 20, the attack hits regardless of any modifiers or the target’s AC. This is called a critical hit.

16. - Top - End - #826

PaladinGuy

Q338 Are skeletons and zombies susceptible to Charm Person?
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q338 Are skeletons and zombies susceptible to Charm Person?
    While neither have Immunity to Charmed condition which would imply 'yes', Charm Person specifies a target as a 'humanoid', so the answer is no. Undead is its own creature type, whether or not it was formerly a humanoid creature.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-10-16 at 01:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #828

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    A337 No, because you didn't roll a 20 on the d20. The relevant rule is...
    To expand on this, it has also been ruled that if you have an ability that expands your threat range like from a Champion Fighter or such, the rolls that critically hit are also auto hits.

So a champion fighter who can critically hit on an 18 - 20 also auto hits on a roll of 18 - 20.

Not that it comes up much but there you go.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q339if someone or something wants to grab me, they just walk up to me and the strength check happens for the grapple. Regarding RAW, if I'm invisible, there is no difference, correct? Meaning they know where I am and can just walk up to me and start a grapple without any game mechanics changing ?

20. - Top - End - #830
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q340 can invis and mirror image work together, meaning attacks at invis creature are at a disadvantage, and also roll to see if you hit a duplicate?

21. - Top - End - #831
    Halfling in the Playground

Q341

Simple Question really, Since a PoC Familiar can attack can it also be equiped with items ? like magic weapons if it can hold them ?

and then use said magic weapons

22. - Top - End - #832
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q342 Unseen attackers and Targets, PHB 194. If you can't hear an invisible target, how do you guess the targets' location?

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q340 can invis and mirror image work together, meaning attacks at invis creature are at a disadvantage, and also roll to see if you hit a duplicate?
    A340 Super difficult call there. By straight RAW, invisibility and mirror image work together. The caveat is that Mirror image doesn't work on a creature if it can't see, and invisibility makes it so creatures can't see the mirror images. I suppose that in the exact case of a creature being invisible and having mirror image, it the effects work together, but if the creature were effectively invisible via darkness or blindness, the effects would not combine.

Though I don't think I could fault anyone if they ruled otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Q342 Unseen attackers and Targets, PHB 194. If you can't hear an invisible target, how do you guess the targets' location?
    A342 Smell; touch; logical deduction?

Quote Originally Posted by SaA View Post
    Q341

Simple Question really, Since a PoC Familiar can attack can it also be equiped with items ? like magic weapons if it can hold them ?

and then use said magic weapons
    A341 Any animal, including familiars (Warlock or otherwise) can only equip what items its form allows it to reasonably wear or wield. If it has hands, it can hold a weapon, though it wouldn't be proficient.

Q339if someone or something wants to grab me, they just walk up to me and the strength check happens for the grapple. Regarding RAW, if I'm invisible, there is no difference, correct? Meaning they know where I am and can just walk up to me and start a grapple without any game mechanics changing ?
    A339 I have heard that the grapple attempt still counts as an attack, even though you don't make an attack roll, and thus the grapple check is made at disadvantage if the target is invisible. But I don't have a source for that. And it may be RAI, but I can't see how it's RAW (as RAW, invisibility only imposes disadvantage on "attack rolls", which a Strength check is not).

Powers &8^]

25. - Top - End - #835

PaladinGuy

A339 Clarification/Nitpick:

"...Meaning they know where I am and can just walk up to me and start a grapple without any game mechanics changing ?"

If they already know where you are, then yes.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Q343: The Paladin's Sacred Weapon Channel Divinity power, it let's you add your charisma bonus to your attack when attacking with a weapon. Is this in addition to or instead of your normal ability bonus (strength or dexterity) for that attack?

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    Q343: The Paladin's Sacred Weapon Channel Divinity power, it let's you add your charisma bonus to your attack when attacking with a weapon. Is this in addition to or instead of your normal ability bonus (strength or dexterity) for that attack?
    A343. In addition. Remember it lasts only 1 minute (10 rounds) and depending on how frequently you get a short rest, it might take a long time before you get to use it again, so use it wisely.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-10-19 at 04:48 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

28. - Top - End - #838
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Q344 Exactly what dice do you roll twice on a critical hit? I know there's the base weapon damage dice, but what about paladin smites or sneak attack dice? For that matter, what about spell attacks? If you roll a 20 on an eldritch blast, do you roll 2d10 for damage?

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nicrosil View Post
    Q344 Exactly what dice do you roll twice on a critical hit? I know there's the base weapon damage dice, but what about paladin smites or sneak attack dice? For that matter, what about spell attacks? If you roll a 20 on an eldritch blast, do you roll 2d10 for damage?
    A344. All dice unless mentioned otherwise. Both the dice from Divine Smite and Sneak Attack would be doubled along with the weapon dice.

Also, an attack is an attack, so it doesn't matter if the critical roll was made with a weapon or a spell. Even spells that deal damage based on an attack roll would have damage dice doubled on a critical hit.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-10-19 at 03:03 PM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Q345 Question?
    Telekinesis opposes a strength check. So basically I would only add my modifier versus their casting stat.
    For example 20 strength for +5 modifier versus their spell DC.
    No proficiency added for saves.
    No proficiency added for athletics.
    So for a 20 strength I get +5 only, if raging possible advantage?
    And since it is a check, the mage slayer feat would not help?
    Would the lucky feat or indomitable help?