New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW 3

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 5. If your question is not about the RAW for 5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large player races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

The last thread was locked as I was replying. Q621 is now Q1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pippin Boyd View Post
    Q1:

If I have the duelist fighting style and attack with 2 weapons with a thrown weapon for my attack and then make a melee attack with my bonus action, does my bonus action attack benefit from duelist because it was made while I was holding a single melee weapon in one hand and no weapon or shield in the other?
    A1: I believe you can.

Also, (as far as I can tell, and assuming you have light weapons) say you have only the thrown weapon out you can first use your action to throw it, then move and draw your light secondary melee weapon and attack with it as a bonus action- you legally can have both attacks benefit from the duelist fighting style.

Though, on the flip side that bonus attack doesn't get and positive stat mods to damage, so its not super great. But still, not bad.

Thrown weapon cite.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Q2
    My friend is in doubt if he can use sneak attack damage twice in a turn using the Wateborn book Swashblucker subclass. His reasoning is that it says that it says it applies with any meele attack, but in the Player's Handbook it says sneak attack can only be used once per turn, so which one applies?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPenance View Post
    Q2
    My friend is in doubt if he can use sneak attack damage twice in a turn using the Wateborn book Swashblucker subclass. His reasoning is that it says that it says it applies with any meele attack, but in the Player's Handbook it says sneak attack can only be used once per turn, so which one applies?
    A2: No matter how many ways a player can get more attacks per turn, sneak attack damage can apply only once per turn. This is true even if they are using a bonus action attack, or if they get a free action (like through haste or action surge). However, because this is on a per-turn basis, a rogue could deal sneak attack damage an extra time when they score an opportunity attack (assuming that the attack they make meets the criteria).
    Last edited by ruy343; 2017-01-08 at 05:01 PM.
    My first homebrew: 5e Strategist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q3

Here's another Sneak Attack question!

I know that the spell Lightning Arrow doesn't apply your Dex mod to the damage, but you do make a weapon attack roll which adds your Dex mod (if it isn't a thrown weapon). I want to know if Lightning Arrow applies Sneak Attack damage.

I think it does because the wording of Lightning Arrow is:
    The next time you make a ranged weapon attack during this spell's duration, the weapon's ammunition, or the weapon itself if it's a thrown weapon, transforms into a lightning bolt. Make the attack roll as normal.

Seeing as I make the attack roll as normal, technically this is a ranged weapon attack roll that uses my Dex mod even if the damage doesn't use my usual weapon damage.

The Sneak Attack wording is:
    Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

Seeing as I am making my attack with a ranged weapon, rather than a spell, I think that I would apply sneak attack damage to the primary target at least (obviously not to the targets in the AoE), if my attack had advantage on it. I would not expect to apply Sneak Attack damage on a miss even though the spell still does damage on a miss.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by The Ship's dog View Post
    Q3

Here's another Sneak Attack question!

I know that the spell Lightning Arrow doesn't apply your Dex mod to the damage, but you do make a weapon attack roll which adds your Dex mod (if it isn't a thrown weapon). I want to know if Lightning Arrow applies Sneak Attack damage.

I think it does because the wording of Lightning Arrow is:
    The next time you make a ranged weapon attack during this spell's duration, the weapon's ammunition, or the weapon itself if it's a thrown weapon, transforms into a lightning bolt. Make the attack roll as normal.

Seeing as I make the attack roll as normal, technically this is a ranged weapon attack roll that uses my Dex mod even if the damage doesn't use my usual weapon damage.

The Sneak Attack wording is:
    Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

Seeing as I am making my attack with a ranged weapon, rather than a spell, I think that I would apply sneak attack damage to the primary target at least (obviously not to the targets in the AoE), if my attack had advantage on it. I would not expect to apply Sneak Attack damage on a miss even though the spell still does damage on a miss.
    A3: Far as I can tell, you are correct.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Q4

Sorry for asking again, but my friend, who is a Monk, needs to know if the ability of the Open Hand Technique which makes the target unable to take reactions until the end of his next turn would apply to something like hellish rebuke.
    Since Hellish Rebuke is usable after suffering an attack, would the effect of not being able to use reactions apply first or would the reaction come first?
    Last edited by DarthPenance; 2017-01-10 at 07:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

A 4

A reaction is dependent on a triggering event so the triggering event has to have happened first. So no, you cannot Hellish Rebuke in response to a monk's stunning blow, assuming you failed your save and it worked.

NOTE: Opportunity attacks when a creature leaves your reach have an exception and specifically say they happen right before it leaves your reach. If they'd already left your reach they'd be, well, out of your reach and you wouldn't be able to attack. Also things like Sentinel wouldn't work. If an incorporeal creature tries to go into the ground (which is outside your reach), it triggers an attack. I've had DMs say, you get no AoO because it's in the ground, but it's not in the ground yet when it triggers.

I know that goes above and beyond the [simple] question but it's a reasonable follow-up question so I just thought I'd put it out there.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-01-10 at 10:56 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q5

Who gets to pick which animals show up from Conjure Animals, the caster or the DM?

If it's the caster, can I choose a Swarm of Bats when I cast it?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilous View Post
    Q5

Who gets to pick which animals show up from Conjure Animals, the caster or the DM?

If it's the caster, can I choose a Swarm of Bats when I cast it?
    A5: The DM chooses. Cite.

As a side note, since conjure animals says "You summon fey spirits that take the form of beasts..." and you can then choose between 1 - 8 beasts, a swarm is also not a legal summons for conjure animals.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q6
    If I use subtle spell, will that still trigger mage slayer?

i.e. Adam confronts Bob. Bob rushes into melee range to subdue Adam, who is a sorcerer. Bob misses. On his turn, Adam uses subtle spell to cast a spell. Does that trigger mage slayer?
    Last edited by Pichu; 2017-01-11 at 09:26 AM.
    Extended Signature

Co-Creator of the Fastest Character in 5e at Mach 3.175 (SR-71)!
    (Maybe 6.5 (X-15), or even 12.7 (1.33 saturn V's)! It's still debatable)

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
    Q6 (on phone; no bold)
    If I use subtle spell, will that still trigger mage slayer?

i.e. Adam confronts Bob. Bob rushes into melee range to subdue Adam, who is a sorcerer. Bob misses. On his turn, Adam uses subtle spell to cast a spell. Does that trigger mage slayer?
    A6: No. (A reason why that is one of my favorite meta magics).

The general idea for things like Counterspell and Mage Slayer is the opponent has to recognize a spell is being cast in order to interrupt/take advantage of it.

Cites: Mage slayer, Counterspell.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q7 Unarmored defenses (barb, monk) are considered "armor types" or "conditions" and do not stack with Mage Armor and some other spells/effects like natural armor, but would a monk's additional wisdom bonus to unarmored defense still apply with the draconic origin benefit granted in the sorcerer class, since it's not technically labelled as natural armor?

(says scaley skin=13+dex "when you are not wearing armor", so is that 13+dex+wis modifiers with a monk/sorcerer?)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

A7 No.

The issue isn't that armor types don't stack, the point is that various kinds of armor replace the way you calculate your AC. Draconian Sorcerers don't get a +3 bonus, their AC calculation is 13+DEX Mod. The Monk formula is 10+DEX+WIS. You can only use one, or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

15. - Top - End - #15

Ignore. I think I found the answer.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-01-11 at 04:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

A 6 (contention) Yes. Mage Slayer would be triggered by a subtle spell.

The wording of Mage Slayer is broader than the wording of Counterspell. Mage Slayer says "when a creature within 5 ft of you cast a spell". Counterspell says "when you see someone casting a spell". Thus Counterspell doesn't work against subtle spell because you never see them casting a spell. Mage Slayer doesn't have that limitation.

The previous answer expresses a judgment call that is not unreasonable IMHO but this thread is about what the RAW say. If I were running that scenario, I would simply say to the Mage Slayer that the person seems momentarily too distracted by something and has opened himself up to an AoO from you. He doesn't necessarily know the person is casting a spell due to Subtle, but the act of casting a spell has distracted them enough to provoke from a Mage Slayer.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Q8: How to determine the weight that the character can carry? Streight*5?
    And how Powerful Build works?
    Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when
    determining your carrying capacity and the weight you
    can push, drag, or lift.
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q8: How to determine the weight that the character can carry? Streight*5?
    And how Powerful Build works?
    A08: By default your carrying capacity is your Strength score multiplied by 15. For each size category above Medium, double the creature’s carrying capacity and the amount it can push, drag, or lift. For a Tiny creature, halve these weights.

Carrying Capacity By Size

Size T - STR x7.5
    Size S - STR x15
    Size M - STR x15
    Size L - STR x30
    Size H - STR x45
    Size G - STR x60
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Q9: Applies to multiple monsters but I will use Kobolds for the example here. A kobold per the Monster Manual has a spear and can use it as a melee weapon or a thrown weapon. If the kobold throws the spear, is it now weaponless, or is it handwaved as unlimited ammunition? Or am I blind and missing an ammunition count?

* Edit, cited the wrong book
    Last edited by Dhuraal; 2017-01-13 at 02:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuraal View Post
    Q9: Applies to multiple monsters but I will use Kobolds for the example here. A kobold per the Monster Manual has a spear and can use it as a melee weapon or a thrown weapon. If the kobold throws the spear, is it now weaponless, or is it handwaved as unlimited ammunition? Or am I blind and missing an ammunition count?

* Edit, cited the wrong book
    A9:Weaponless unless they carry multiple spears (that's why you see that in some of the adventurer books, when they talk about the planned encounters, they point out the quantity of spears that the monster may have -Or the quantity of anything-)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-01-13 at 03:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Q10: does Volley and Horde Breaker staking together (make attack with volley for each enemy and then hit different creature within 5 feet for every successful hit)? Or ranger must choose only one effect?
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q10: does Volley and Horde Breaker staking together (make attack with volley for each enemy and then hit different creature within 5 feet for every successful hit)? Or ranger must choose only one effect?
    A10: They do stack. But it is not on each successful hit. It is just one extra attack.

So you can either get one extra attack against a creature in the volley, or target one creature that was just (5') outside it.

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q11: When using the Help action in combat, do I have to specify both the target and ally? Or just the target, so that any ally may take advantage of my distraction?

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Q11: When using the Help action in combat, do I have to specify both the target and ally? Or just the target, so that any ally may take advantage of my distraction?
    A11: You are aiding a specific ally against a specific enemy, 5' from you.*

"[Y]ou can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you."
    *The Mastermind class feature makes this 20' from you, instead of 5.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Devil

Q12 How does the Blink and Candle of Invocation's Gate ability interact?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Q12 How does the Blink and Candle of Invocation's Gate ability interact?
    A12: If you use the candle to transport to any other place that is not the Ethereal plane, at the end of you turn you will apply Blink as normally (Roll a d20 and if you got 11 or more, you are transported to the Ethereal plane, and then come back to whatever plane you were at the start of your turn)

If you use Gate to transport to the Ethereal Plane and then use Blink, Blink would not work and the spell slot will be wasted

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q13
    If I am TWF with at least one level in Rogue and a Battlemaster Fighter, can I use my Trip Attack with my first attack and have sneak attack active for the second? I have the Dual Wielder feat and two Rapiers.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by QUARE View Post
    Q13
    If I am TWF with at least one level in Rogue and a Battlemaster Fighter, can I use my Trip Attack with my first attack and have sneak attack active for the second? I have the Dual Wielder feat and two Rapiers.
    A13 Yes, you can (even in the first attack if you happen to have Adv with it -I imagine not, and i guess that's your point for the Trip attack -to get adv for the second attack-)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    A12: If you use the candle to transport to any other place that is not the Ethereal plane, at the end of you turn you will apply Blink as normally (Roll a d20 and if you got 11 or more, you are transported to the Ethereal plane, and then come back to whatever plane you were at the start of your turn)

If you use Gate to transport to the Ethereal Plane and then use Blink, Blink would not work and the spell slot will be wasted
    Q12 Additional; thank you. Also, how would Blink affect the summoning ability to the Ethereal? Blink states you cannot affect the material, but no mention of something else (ie, the Candle) being able to affect it.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2017-01-16 at 10:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Q12 Additional; thank you. Also, how would Blink affect the summoning ability to the Ethereal? Blink states you cannot affect the material, but no mention of something else (ie, the Candle) being able to affect it.
    By the time you summon the creature you will be in the material plane, because it needs to use your action, and you get teleported to the Ethereal plane at the end of your turn and come back at the start of your other turn.

It is possible for you to summon something and then be teleported, at the end of your turn by Blink, to the Ethereal plane, also the Gate spell doesn't work like most summon spells (the creature is not under your control and you have no power over it) so it can do whatever the DM think the creature would do.

Any other summoned creature (lets say something summoned by Conjure Woodlands Beings), will act normally but while you are in the Ethereal plane (thanks to Blink) you won't be able to issue any command, so it will apply the last command given or if not given anything, they will defend themselves from hostile creatures but otherwise take no actions.