New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar View Post
    A215This question is getting into the fuzzy realm of DM interpretation. From my perspective of reading the rules, if someone were to ask this at the table I DM, I'd say that grappling and shoving are mutually exclusive actions, one is intended to hold the enemy close, where as the other is to push them away from you. As already stated grappling ends when effect removes the grappled target from the reach of the grappler. You need one free hand to grapple an individual. I would rule that a prone individual is out of reach of a standing person without also going down with them. Though it could be argued that a prone person is in reach of a kneeling person, and there is no real rules for kneeling.

If you want to bring a grappled person to a prone position, you don't need to shove them though. You can use the rules of moving while grappling, and move them to the ground at half speed.
    R215 While A DM is free to rule any way they want, this is an RAW thread and there's no support for your ruling in the rules as written. "Shoving a creature" in the player's handbook is described as either knocking a creature prone or pushing it away, so ruling that shoving always pushes a target away from you (and thus ends a grapple) isn't correct by RAW. Also, nothing in the rules defines a prone creature as being outside your reach (which would play havoc with combat targeting if it were true). There's also no rule for moving a creature "to the ground" with the moving a grappled (which is described as "dragging or carrying" the creature rather than shoving them down); shoving is the mechanism the rules put in place for causing a creature to become prone.

The answers Millstone85 and LtPowers have already given are correct by RAW.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Q216 Can a character who uses the cantrip booming blade to attack an enemy then use the ranger horde breaker feature to attack a different enemy within 5 feet of the original target with the same weapon as he used for the boming blade?

(I ask because the text of horde breaker says "when you make a weapon attack," not "when you use the attack action")

3. - Top - End - #543

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    Q216 Can a character who uses the cantrip booming blade to attack an enemy then use the ranger horde breaker feature to attack a different enemy within 5 feet of the original target with the same weapon as he used for the boming blade?

(I ask because the text of horde breaker says "when you make a weapon attack," not "when you use the attack action")
    A216 You've basically answered your own question; Horde Breaker doesn't require the attack action, just a weapon attack on your turn. This means that as long as you cast Booming Blade on your own turn (e.g. not as a reaction via a readied action or the War Caster feat) Horde Breaker will let you make an additional attack against a different enemy within 5 feet of the original target.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    R215 While A DM is free to rule any way they want, this is an RAW thread and there's no support for your ruling in the rules as written. "Shoving a creature" in the player's handbook is described as either knocking a creature prone or pushing it away, so ruling that shoving always pushes a target away from you (and thus ends a grapple) isn't correct by RAW. Also, nothing in the rules defines a prone creature as being outside your reach (which would play havoc with combat targeting if it were true). There's also no rule for moving a creature "to the ground" with the moving a grappled (which is described as "dragging or carrying" the creature rather than shoving them down); shoving is the mechanism the rules put in place for causing a creature to become prone.

The answers Millstone85 and LtPowers have already given are correct by RAW.
    The rules as written is that you have to have one free hand to grapple a creature, so unless someones race has freakeshly long arms, RAW would have someone sanding's arms not able to grapple someone prone unless they either pulled the person on the ground up from prone, or went prone with them. You do have to use a tiny bit of rules as common sense in things as well.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar View Post
    The rules as written is that you have to have one free hand to grapple a creature, so unless someones race has freakeshly long arms, RAW would have someone sanding's arms not able to grapple someone prone unless they either pulled the person on the ground up from prone, or went prone with them. You do have to use a tiny bit of rules as common sense in things as well.
    The way it makes sense is that you can crouch or kneel. Your arms can still reach the prone opponent without forcing you to become prone yourself.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Can we show tweets in this thread, or is that too RAI? Anyway, here is one:

link
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Crawford‏
    You don't fall prone when grappling a prone target, unless you want to. The rule would tell you if you had to.

7. - Top - End - #547

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    The way it makes sense is that you can crouch or kneel. Your arms can still reach the prone opponent without forcing you to become prone yourself.
    Indeed. That sort of positioning isn't a matter of RAW. Nothing RAW says that an enemy becoming prone ends a grapple so it doesn't. (LtPowers listed the things that do end a grapple a few posts ago. Nothing else, including the prone condition, causes a grapple to end RAW.)

Like I said, at your table you can rule the situation any way you want to, but in an RAW thread, we kind of have to stick to what's actually in the rules.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Can we show tweets in this thread, or is that too RAI? Anyway, here is one:

link
    Even if it's technically RAI, that kind of tweet is good for supporting or pointing out RAW. As Crawford said, "The rule would tell you if you had to [go prone or lose the grapple]."
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-06-22 at 01:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    Or you could have hold of the enemy's leg or arm -- the combined reach of his appendage and yours should be enough.

Were it otherwise, escaping from a grapple would be as easy as going prone on your turn.

Powers &8^]

9. - Top - End - #549
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q 218
    This is about a nalfeshee's action possibilities. On its turn, in addition to its move, a nalfeshnee can
    (1) Horror Nimbus (if charged), then 1 bite attack, then 2 claw attacks
    OR
    (2) 1 bite attack and then 2 claw attacks.
    OR
    (3) Teleport
    Is this right?
    Nalfeshnee is on MM p.62

10. - Top - End - #550

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q 218
    This is about a nalfeshee's action possibilities. On its turn, in addition to its move, a nalfeshnee can
    (1) Horror Nimbus (if charged), then 1 bite attack, then 2 claw attacks
    OR
    (2) 1 bite attack and then 2 claw attacks.
    OR
    (3) Teleport
    Is this right?
    Nalfeshnee is on MM p.62
    A 218
    You're right that a nalfeshee can do any of those, but technically it does have some other options too. A creature with Multiattack doesn't have to use it so a nalfeshee can also choose to just Bite once, just Claw once or just use Horror Nimbus or use any of the other default action options that any creature can use (Dash, Disengage, Hide, etc.)

11. - Top - End - #551
    Pixie in the Playground

furious Re: Simple RAW 3

Q 219

My question is in regards to the revised UA's Invocation, Gift of the Everliving One, and whether or not it applies to the spell Vamperic Touch.

Pact of the Everliving One:
    "Whenever you regain hit points while your familiar is within 100 feet of you, treat any dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum value for you."

Vamperic Touch:
    "The touch of your shadow-wreathed hand can siphon life force from others to heal your wounds. Make a melee spell attack against a creature within your reach. On
    a hit, the target takes 3d6 necrotic damage, and you regain hit points equal to half the amount of necrotic damage dealt. Until the spell ends, you can make the attack again on each of your turns as an action."

I'm thinking no since your doing damage and the HP you regain is just a byproduct but, you do regain HP based on a dice roll, albeit half of a dice roll.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdjangali View Post
    Q 219

My question is in regards to the revised UA's Invocation, Gift of the Everliving One, and whether or not it applies to the spell Vamperic Touch.

Pact of the Everliving One:
    "Whenever you regain hit points while your familiar is within 100 feet of you, treat any dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum value for you."

Vamperic Touch:
    "The touch of your shadow-wreathed hand can siphon life force from others to heal your wounds. Make a melee spell attack against a creature within your reach. On
    a hit, the target takes 3d6 necrotic damage, and you regain hit points equal to half the amount of necrotic damage dealt. Until the spell ends, you can make the attack again on each of your turns as an action."

I'm thinking no since your doing damage and the HP you regain is just a byproduct but, you do regain HP based on a dice roll, albeit half of a dice roll.
    A 219: Emphasis mine. You do not roll dice to determine the hit points you regain. There is no interaction between Gift of the Everlining One and Vampiric Touch.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dickerson76 View Post
    A 219: Emphasis mine. You do not roll dice to determine the hit points you regain. There is no interaction between Gift of the Everlining One and Vampiric Touch.

The amount you roll for damage determines how many hit points you regain and it says "Whenever you regain hit points"
    And "treat ANY dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain"

By RAW, the more I look at it the more I think it applies.

14. - Top - End - #554

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdjangali View Post
    The amount you roll for damage determines how many hit points you regain and it says "Whenever you regain hit points"
    And "treat ANY dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain"

By RAW, the more I look at it the more I think it applies.
    It almost seems like it, but its a layer removed.

You roll dice to determine damage....then the damage determines healing.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    It almost seems like it, but its a layer removed.

You roll dice to determine damage....then the damage determines healing.
    Right, that's where it becomes a stretch. So, no unlimited maximized Vamperic touches I guess. Lol

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'm of the opinion that the Gift of the Everliving One needs its own thread. Because the clauses of rolling for damage and determining hitpoints are joined by 'and' there is enough ambiguity to make this a more complex question than is suitable for this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q220
    It appears that the ONLY way to learn additional languages is by way of a single Feat. Is that correct?
    -Signed, sad PC who doesn't speak Undercommon in the "Out of the Abyss" module

18. - Top - End - #558

I'm of the opinion that the Gift of the Everliving One needs its own thread. Because the clauses of rolling for damage and determining hitpoints are joined by 'and' there is enough ambiguity to make this a more complex question than is suitable for this thread.
    Feel free to start that thread, but I'll join in agreeing with dickerson76 and Mcdjangali that it wouldn't maximize Vampiric Touch. The dice determine base damage which can then be modified by other things (like resistance or vulnerability or even effects like Hex that add extra necrotic damage to an attack) and the damage dealt after these various other considerations is what's used to determine the HP you regain. That's a big enough separation that you aren't simply rolling dice to determine the HP you regain as Gift of the Everliving One requires.

Quote Originally Posted by Janthkin View Post
    Q220
    It appears that the ONLY way to learn additional languages is by way of a single Feat. Is that correct?
    -Signed, sad PC who doesn't speak Undercommon in the "Out of the Abyss" module
    A220
    Besides the feat, there are a couple other ways to learn an additional language:
    The Downtime Activities rules allow you to spend downtime training to learn a new language or a new set of tools. It takes 250 days and costs 1 GP per day to learn a language in this way.
    If you're looking for something quicker, taking a level of ranger allows you to learn one language spoken by your favored enemy (so does reaching level 6 or 14 in the class where you pick an additional favored enemy).
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-06-26 at 03:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Pixie in the Playground

New Thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...5#post22133745

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 221: For the purposes of Healing Word, can a creature see itself?

Q 222: If a creature has 5 or fewer hit points when the duration of Aid expires, does it fall to 0 hitpoints and need to make death saving throws?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q 223

RAW cantrips are or are not spells? See page PHB 207 plus.

Forest Gnomes get Minor Illussion cantrip.

Does that qualify for feats like elemental adept, spell sniper, and war caster?
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Q 223

RAW cantrips are or are not spells? See page PHB 207 plus.

Forest Gnomes get Minor Illussion cantrip.

Does that qualify for feats like elemental adept, spell sniper, and war caster?
    A 223

"CANTRIPS (p.201)
    A cantrip is a spell that can be cast at-will, without using a spell slot and without being prepared in advance. Repeated practice has fixed the spell in the caster's mind and infused the caster with the magic needed to produce the effect over and over. A cantrip's spell level is 0."

So yes, even a racial cantrip qualifies for those feats, because a cantrip is a 0-level spell.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

23. - Top - End - #563

ElfRogueGirl

I'm attempting to create my first multi-class character in 5e, and ran into confusion. The tiefling description pages say that when I get to third level I can use my Infernal Legacy trait to cast Hellish Rebuke as a 2nd level spell, and regain that ability after a long rest. So my questions are...

Q 224
    Is that the total number of levels of both my two classes, the same way the proficiency bonus works?

Q 225
    When I cast Hellish Rebuke on the poor unfortunate low-life who dared to hurt me, will it use up a spell slot, or do the rules still count it as a cantrip?
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

24. - Top - End - #564

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Q 224 / Q225
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    I'm attempting to create my first multi-class character in 5e, and ran into confusion. The tiefling description pages say that when I get to third level I can use my Infernal Legacy trait to cast Hellish Rebuke as a 2nd level spell, and regain that ability after a long rest. So my questions are...

Q 224
    Is that the total number of levels of both my two classes, the same way the proficiency bonus works?

Q 225
    When I cast Hellish Rebuke on the poor unfortunate low-life who dared to hurt me, will it use up a spell slot, or do the rules still count it as a cantrip?

A 224 it is based on character level

A 225 it is not related to spell slots or cantrips, it's a daily racial ability. It is a spell that you can cast at will once a day, similar to the warlock's mystic arcanums.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

25. - Top - End - #565

Q 221: For the purposes of Healing Word, can a creature see itself?
    Q 221: A creature can usually see itself unless there's something specific (blindness, darkness, etc.) stopping them.

Q 222: If a creature has 5 or fewer hit points when the duration of Aid expires, does it fall to 0 hitpoints and need to make death saving throws?
    A 222: Yes. Both of Aid's HP increases (maximum and current) last for the spell's duration so you lose 5 HP when the spell runs out. If that puts you at 0 HP, you follow the games normal rules for dropping to 0 HP and need to make death saves.

26. - Top - End - #566

Q226
    Does resistance to fire or cold provide any benefit against natural heat or frigid temperatures?
    LotCS Shun Ling Jun Camilla
    OOC | Doc IC | OOC IC | OOC IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

A226
    Yes, it means automatic success on Constitution saving throws against the exhaustion brought by such temperatures. See DMG p110.

28. - Top - End - #568

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    A 225 it is not related to spell slots or cantrips, it's a daily racial ability. It is a spell that you can cast at will once a day, similar to the warlock's mystic arcanums.
    Q 227:
    So this daily racial ability is in addition to the thaumaturgy cantrip?

Unrelated to my question: This thread is great. Thank you to everyone who's answering questions here.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    Q 227:
    So this daily racial ability is in addition to the thaumaturgy cantrip?

Unrelated to my question: This thread is great. Thank you to everyone who's answering questions here.
    A 227:

Yes.

I'm happy to help, and I'm sure same applies to others!
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Q228
    If a creature has innate spellcasting, the casting time is the same as the spell description, yes?
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2017-06-27 at 11:21 PM.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings